Why not more DVD with Surround EX, etc. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-27-2001, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone explain to me why we do not see more DVDs in the some of the newer formats like surrond ex? Is it a money thing? or something else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-27-2001, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Cleve,

According to Dolby's website, there are 30 DVD's that currently have EX. You can see which are the films by going to www.dolby.com and under "consumer" click on movies and cinema. There is a "question" about EX where all of the films are listed.

Just a note...this is a cool website and anyone with any love for movie sound will find this site useful.

It is not a money thing as such. Many directors don't do a lot with sound because they feel that it distract the movie viewer from the film.

Also the number of theaters in the world that have EX equipment is not nearly as many as those that have DD5.1. The same holds true for the Home Theater market.

There are more EX films comming. The new BEASTMASTER from Anchor Bay will be in EX as I believe the new TERMINATOR will also be EX (available next week).

Lee
post #3 of 8 Old 09-27-2001, 08:52 PM

cleve thats a good question I have played several movies from my colletion that trigger my receiver to go into the thx-ex mode but the DVD case does not list that the movie is ex. Out of the list from the site that LeeAntin list I have 13 movies and only 5 of those list that they are THX-EX
on the DVD case.

------------------
My Theater
My DVD Collection
post #4 of 8 Old 09-28-2001, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I believe The Phantom Menace was the first movie filmed in DD EX, so as more movies are made that way, more DVDs will be. Before this the DVDs would have to be re-mastered/mixed to get the 6.1 matrix.

The reason more were not done this way is because there were not many consumers who would purchase a DVD just for the new format. Most consumer were still buliding a decent 5.1 system. I am sure if consumer needs and/or wants change, more DVDs will be released or re-released in ES or EX. However, for the time being it seems like Studios are focusing on more extras or adding a DTS track to satisfy current consumers wants.

------------------
Max
My HT setup
My Ever Growing DVD Collection
post #5 of 8 Old 09-28-2001, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Cleve, I leave my Smart Jr. EX processor on for everything but 5.1 music. It really doesn't matter if things are EX encoded, offically. Most noisey action films will sound good. SWPM LD has by far the best spatial EX effects. Few filmakers will go to that trouble for a rear channel, apparently. But, IMO, any 5.1 DVD or LD, DD or DTS will do fine with EX processing. THE JACKAL DTS LD is one of my favourites thru the EX decoder.

If you're using a reciever with the EX processor built-in, can you have it just process everything for EX? Try that. Pick a loud action film and see what you think. Best wishes!

------------------

Rachael,la gata del disco Grande, meow meow!

Stop DFAST, tell the MPAA to eat static!

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #6 of 8 Old 09-28-2001, 02:17 PM
hob

If anyone wants to get a e-mail into an inportant man try BZB@dolby.com this is the e-mail address of Brent Butterworth who has moved up from writing articles fom Home Theatre Magazine to director of marketing for dolby.com.

His 1994 article in HT got me to try what I still am using for Dolby Surround Pro-Logic via Sennheiser 5 sounds into headphones 7 lears later.

I have my 2 Sony DVD Changers to download PCM which is two dolby encoded channels which goes to the Sennheiser pro unit. The unit then decodes the Dolby Soundtrack then uploads the 4.0 Dolby surround into my Sony V-6 headphones I have on right now.

I live in an elderly and disabled apartment building that thinks any thing but what Glen Miller played is 'evil'! Everything I have TV, Vcr, Dvd, Webtv and compact disc goes throgh the process. Result no more knocking on my door to complain about me being made 'evil' by music playing. Being happy that I can play at high levels without being interupted by old mid 80s women.http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif I am evil through and through listening to ordinary to us, Rock and Roll.

------------------
Hob for Hobby
post #7 of 8 Old 10-05-2001, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hob,

You need to move! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Troy

Now that's how you supposed to drive!

Onkyo TX-NR807, Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X

post #8 of 8 Old 10-05-2001, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hob:
I live in an elderly and disabled apartment building that thinks any thing but what Glen Miller played is 'evil'! Everything I have TV, Vcr, Dvd, Webtv and compact disc goes throgh the process. Result no more knocking on my door to complain about me being made 'evil' by music playing. Being happy that I can play at high levels without being interupted by old mid 80s women.http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif I am evil through and through listening to ordinary to us, Rock and Roll.

I think they're still knocking, you just can't hear them. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
Joe

Joe
Closed Thread Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page