Liked: 10
Hilarious article....Very true observations too
post #3 of 13 Old 10-04-2001, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not a DVD "freak". The author of the article suggests that the pinnacle of freakdom is the HTF, which IMO is loaded with highly opinionated people who do not have the knowledge to back up their bluster. Witness the completely pathetic claim there that EE was present in the film print itself of The Phantom Menace and the near total lack of people putting these nitwits in their place. I think only two people dared to contradict the non-experts. So, no, I am not a DVD "freak" and I never will be. However, some of his other points were very accurate and more than a little funny.
post #4 of 13 Old 10-05-2001, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have amassed a library of over 100 DVDs.
Piker!

But I do agree with some of what he said. While I will buy better quality copies of movies I already own to get better image quality, I will not buy a bad film because it looks great. No copies of "Lost In Space" here...that film sucked. Conversley, I have a lot of mediocre DVDs of great films.

Personally, I don't like animated menus. I would prefer they didn't have them. They waste my time getting to the movie. It's cute once. Once.

post #5 of 13 Old 10-05-2001, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Personally, I don't like animated menus. I would prefer they didn't have them. They waste my time getting to the movie. It's cute once. Once.
So I'm not alone in that view http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif Also, how about just starting the movie when I pop in the disc? If I want to go to the menu I'll press "menu" on my remote. 9 times out of 10 I want to watch THE MOVIE. After all, isn't that what it's all about?

post #6 of 13 Old 10-05-2001, 07:57 AM

After reading his article, it seemed to me that he was the one doing all the whining. He calls himself a "Geek", but in reality he's repressing his "Freak" natures, closet "Freak" so to speak.

------------------
Joe

Joe
post #7 of 13 Old 10-05-2001, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

I agree whole heartedly. Like it or not, the author is a "Freak" himself. Period !
post #8 of 13 Old 10-05-2001, 02:34 PM

Generally good points in the article, if like most else in life you don't take it TOO seriously.

I will admit to buying Roy Orbison A Black and White Night purely for the really cool DTS surround sound. If that makes me a Freak to someone else ... that is fine with me.

All I want is for all the programs I watch to be in HD. Seems reasonable to me :)
post #9 of 13 Old 10-05-2001, 03:14 PM

In all fairness, it would be hard for me to comment on the article, I didnt get past the Anna Nicole portfolios.
Madrigalboy, I thank you.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=Thief"]" TARGET=_blank>http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=Thief"]</A> My DVD Collection [url]
post #10 of 13 Old 10-05-2001, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

heh.. he obviously hasn't met an anime DVD freak yet. We're worse http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/cool.gif

------------------
/frode

/frode
post #11 of 13 Old 10-05-2001, 04:08 PM
hob

How about starting the movie without being told for the 6 bilionth time. WARNING........ blah, blah, blah in 3 or more languages. To me it really 'sucks big time' like Tommy Thomasino in the movie "The Sixth Sense".

------------------
Hob for Hobby
post #12 of 13 Old 10-05-2001, 06:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 44
How could he possibly talk about anal retentive and HT in the same phrase and not mentioned my name? What a slap in the face! I have to admit I use some material that sucks(such as Lost In Space) to demo my system. I purchased this as one of my first DVDs when there were about 50 total out there. I wouldn't however, stoop to buy Starship Troopers no matter how pristine the transfer! I will sit through some of my favorites over and over with mediocre transfers and enjoy them but I would still enjoy them more if they had been given the attention I believe they deserve.

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #13 of 13 Old 10-05-2001, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Art Sonneborn:
I wouldn't however, stoop to buy Starship Troopers no matter how pristine the transfer!
No, you buy "Starship Troopers" because it's a howlingly funny satire of WW2 propaganda films (note: If you don't believe we made propaganda films during WW2, you won't find the humor.) It also has a great commentary from Verhoven that makes this very clear. Denise Richards (a good actress in other films like "Wild Things") deliberately limited her range of expressions to three - grinning like a raccoon, dull surprise, frowning. Even the screen tests make this clear - he was looking for wooden acting.

Note: I love Heinlein's later work like "Time Enough For Love" but am not one of those people who believe "Starship Troopers" to be one of his better works and to be undeserving of being a source of parody. If you want to see a decent version of a Heinlein book, rent "The Puppet Masters".
Closed Thread Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page