Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #511 of 538 Old 04-22-2005, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
And another article Larry wrote which also follows the hypocritics and their war on drugs :http://www.larryflynt.com/statements/rush.html

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 538 Old 04-22-2005, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
how to stop smoking cigarettes or any addiction....it is a state of being, sobriety is..they say you don't "do" sobriety you just "be" sober. I know this is true for many compulsions addictions I have struggled with in the past. Although easier said than done, no time frames, no promises, no resolutions, as they are all BS. If I want to stop anything I just stop it.

Now the part for people who don't have an addiction, can't relate and have zero understanding, tolerance or sympathy:

I always have said to people that don't understand, think about something you are really craving or really want like a piece of chocolate, a beer, even a glass of water, sex, time alone or something you can relate to that you feel you just have to have and will do anything at that moment to have it. Think of having that feeling all the time. Everyone can relate to or empathize with that and that simply is addiction.

How does that relate to ghosts? Unless you have seen and lived it you probably won't believe that someone can't just quit.
post #513 of 538 Old 04-22-2005, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally posted by RVonse
I agree with you Hughmc. And I found an excellent article about this subject written by the infamous Larry Flynt: http://www.larryflynt.com/statements/otherwar.html
Good stuff as he speaks the truth and as usual the one thing that stands out in that article is the cost factor. It always comes down to money. How many people would be out of jobs if there was no laws against "illegal" drugs, or how many would be out of jobs simply if there were no speeding laws to generate revenue. MONEY< MONEY< MONEY!
post #514 of 538 Old 04-22-2005, 10:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RVonse
I agree with you Hughmc. And I found an excellent article about this subject written by the infamous Larry Flynt: http://www.larryflynt.com/statements/otherwar.html
He might be just a slimy smut peddler but man does he have a way with words.
Yo mama, Lamebaugh. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/images/icons/icon14.gif
post #515 of 538 Old 04-23-2005, 03:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Of course anything that doesn’t fit into our idea of reality and isn’t in the scope of what we believe is a conspiracy. Don’t like what you hear or read? Conspiracy. True, far too much misinformation in this grand world of ours, but also some very telling information as well, then again, that depends on what you want or don’t want to believe.
post #516 of 538 Old 04-23-2005, 05:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally posted by rto
You're obviously addicted to more than just the nicotine, Bob. For many, there are aspects of the habit which are comforting and stress reducing beyond mere chemistry. Some people have a much easier time quitting than others, and you've got it really bad. I'm truly sorry. :(
Yeah, I feel for Bob. My new wife (married one month!) has been trying to quit ever since I met her a year and a half ago. Poor thing. She talks about it all the time, even actually quit for a week twice and went back each time. About 4 years ago she quit for an entire year and started up again. It's the "social" aspects of it, the little rituals and habits, that she has the worst time with. I know people that have quit for years and they still get cravings from time to time, especially during certain activities that they still mentally associate with smoking (i.e. drinking, after meals, after sex, when they get up in the morning, before they go to bed at night, etc.).

We sort of joked around about it before the wedding; now I'm really starting to get scared she just may not ever be able to quit. Until it kills her. Since she's much younger than me, I've told her I'll never forgive her if she croaks before me because of this. (Sometimes a little gallows humor helps.)

I thank the Lord I never started that filthy habit.

~archie
post #517 of 538 Old 01-28-2006, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
SOrry to bring this old thread but reading the originating poster, this takes me back about 4 years ago. Me and my wife and kids moved out of our apartment to save money for a house - moved in to one of the oldest houses in town - which is my my mother in laws house. We roomed up in the attic - we always had a creepy feeling of SOMEBODY is in this room - well I did (later to explain why). One night as we were all in bed (we slept with the LIGHTS ON), I was barely falling asleep when all for a sudden I felt my body paralyzed - I actually saw the sheets pressed up against my body, something covered my mouth and I could barely move my feets - I tried yelling to my wife to wake up but it was impossible - this happen 3rd times that night - the 1st time I thought it had to be an illusion (or being in state of dillusion) - at the 3rd time it happened - I heard a voice distinticly say my wife's name and as to have her "open the door" - I grab my wife and said your sleeping on this side of the bed..the night was over and it neverhappened to me again...fast forward 2 years later..Im talking to my brother in law and he at one time live there (my wife's sister husband) and he was saying he hated that house and I asked him why - he said at night that someone use to jump on him and would not let him move...later my OTHER brother law (there is a pattern developing here) who also at one time lived there said the EXACT same thing....nevertheless, this NEVER happened to any blood FAMILY member of the owner and only to the Brother/Son in laws...

Now I mentioned earlier that about that feeling of SOMEBODY in the room - I feel it - it exactly how its is always explain - its a coldness - some people are more gifted (or rather cursed) to feel this as I am.

My mother was telling me the background of our family in Puerto Rico, she comes from Guayama (othes call it the city of witches)...I come from a line of mediums, witches and who knows what..my mom said everyone in our family has at one time or another experienced this - its true.

One night, as a teenager staying with my mom, I was laying in bed and I opened my eyes and there is a lady sitting in front of me- she is NOT my mom - the figurine had a long hair and was right next to me..I covered and prayed for what seem like an eternity - when I raised my cover - she was gone.

When I was about 5 years old, we lived an apartment in the south side of Chicago along Cermak and Halsted - this was an area where the Prohibition era was big - Al Capone..etc etc..anyways..this house was hunted - I use to get up and night and see a man standing in front of the living room - I use to have a sofa bed - and it had long hair and it will brush around the room and speak to me in a dialect I could not understand....later I found out that this house in the basement had a hidden bar behind a wall - my older brother and friends found. This is all in the early 70's

So if you ask me if I believe in GHOST - Heck yeah, and I am not a religious person and Im pretty agnostic when it comes to believing in GOD -

btw..the 1st story of mine and the other two mentioned on the 1st page - this is called in the south RIDING THE DEVIL... :eek:

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

post #518 of 538 Old 01-29-2006, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 383
A mildly interesting anecdote, nothing more.
post #519 of 538 Old 01-29-2006, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR
A mildly interesting anecdote, nothing more.

to what?? Im pretty sure its sarcasm...but Im not getting it.. :rolleyes:

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

post #520 of 538 Old 01-30-2006, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Im not getting it
In other words, it's your personal account of something you already believe in (you say "mediums" and "witches" run in your family). It comes nowhere near being a scientific investigation that any skeptic would take at all seriously. That's why it's nothing more than mildy interesting.
post #521 of 538 Old 01-30-2006, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
In other words, it's your personal account of something you already believe in (you say "mediums" and "witches" run in your family). It comes nowhere near being a scientific investigation that any skeptic would take at all seriously. That's why it's nothing more than mildy interesting.

You really dont need science to prove everything - whether we choose to believe in God or not - something did create us but WHAT is that?? we arent sure but it has been well documented about God and his existence without ANY scientific proof - but of course Science will test that without any proof of their own - BIG BANG THEORY - Or Darwin Evolution theory - nevertheless, something got us here..There is a word called FAITH - sometimes that is all we need..

PersonallY I would never believe in ghost it if I didnt see it. Trust me - when you see you never hope to ever see it again - its that frightening

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

post #522 of 538 Old 01-30-2006, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
There is a word called FAITH - sometimes that is all we need
It's apparent that's all you need, but there are some of us who don't take the existence of ghosts on "faith". We need more than that, and you haven't come anywhere near providing it.
post #523 of 538 Old 01-30-2006, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's apparent that's all you need, but there are some of us who don't take the existence of ghosts on "faith". We need more than that, and you haven't come anywhere near providing it.

but you are right - others do need more than faith...that I do agree on..like they say - dont believe in everything they tell you - that includes SCIENCE methology..unless we were a PERFECT world - even science doctrines can be questioned..Id rather like to believe that there is someone out there way smarter than us - we just dont BOOOOM appear..

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

post #524 of 538 Old 01-30-2006, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
dont believe in everything they tell you - that includes SCIENCE methology
Scientific methodology has brought us cures for diseases, a tremendous extension of the human lifespan, much great food production, flight in the atmosphere and to space, countless comforts, near instant access to knowledge beyond anything dreamed of by the ancients (none of which require "faith" to enjoy the benefits of), etc. etc. etc. I'll take that result over anything produced by the nonscientific "demon haunted world" that didn't use that methodology, thank you.
post #525 of 538 Old 01-30-2006, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Scientific methodology has brought us cures for diseases, a tremendous extension of the human lifespan, much great food production, flight in the atmosphere and to space, countless comforts, near instant access to knowledge beyond anything dreamed of by the ancients (none of which require "faith" to enjoy the benefits of), etc. etc. etc. I'll take that result over anything produced by the nonscientific "demon haunted world" that didn't use that methodology, thank you.

Yeah..but you forgot..scientific methology STILL hasnt shown us and possibly never will be able to prove how WE got here...men didnt create men...or did they...I guarantee you that ONLY faith in whatever way we got here is the only belief..Whats your thought..that we EVOLVED - lets say we did..there still has to be a creator to be able to be able to provide the Beginning...We are prewired that everything has one..therefore someone / something had to be able to create us and instill that in us - that we have a beggining...

Science has YEAH brought us many cures...extended life...but how is that we cant even explain our own SIMPLE existence and where we come from...Is it that far fetch to believe that there could be a GOD who created us..I dont think so..but that is certainly an opinion arguable..Science has been dying to prove either way..with ZILCH...lots of theories but no basis to support...not even close...

Your pretty grounded RobertR and I enjoy and respect and discuss if not argue the belief of something that we cant prove...Many will agree with you - hell I do for some part - but there are plenty out there that believe that MAN is not ALONE in this universe.

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

post #526 of 538 Old 01-30-2006, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 717
yes ghosts are real and so are leprechauns.

but for real i think since we are electric and the earth is electric why cant we be recorded like a tape and played back....
post #527 of 538 Old 01-30-2006, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Rich,

You keep trying to turn this into a religious discussion which I have no interest in. It is completely irrelevant to the topic of ghosts and demonstrating they exist. Nothing you've said gives any such demonstration, and none of your "but what about God" diversions changes that fact.
post #528 of 538 Old 01-30-2006, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Gotta side with RobertR, here.

Ed
post #529 of 538 Old 01-30-2006, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

A quick search of IMDB on 'ghost' returns over 600 movies with ghost in the title.

Ghosts have been a part of human culture for many centuries.

Whether one believes that they occur as physically measurable manifestations or not, it is undeniable that ghosts (or the concept thereof) have a real effect on individuals and society in general.
post #530 of 538 Old 01-30-2006, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchformore
Ghosts have been a part of human culture for many centuries..
Exactly. If ghosts were real I think they'd be pretty well accepted and understood by now.
post #531 of 538 Old 02-03-2006, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker George
Exactly. If ghosts were real I think they'd be pretty well accepted and understood by now.

I understand that....

Sorry about trying to turn it into a religious discussion..i guess what Im saying if you believe in GOD but there is no proof he exist, then the same goes for Ghost..

I thought i made it clear that if I DIDNT see them I would never believe in them...that is the ONLY reason I do...

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

post #532 of 538 Old 02-03-2006, 11:39 AM

This is interesting ( might already have been mentioned but i don't want to read 530 posts to find out )

http://onenews.nzoom.com/onenews_det...16-1-5,00.html

Mysteriously snuffed out candles, weird sensations and shivers down the spine may not be due to the presence of ghosts in haunted houses but to very low frequency sound that is inaudible to humans.

British scientists have shown in a controlled experiment that the extreme bass sound known as infrasound produces a range of bizarre effects in people including anxiety, extreme sorrow and chills - supporting popular suggestions of a link between infrasound and strange sensations.

"Normally you can't hear it," Dr Richard Lord, an acoustic scientist at the National Physical Laboratory in England who worked on the project, said on Monday.

Lord and his colleagues, who produced infrasound with a seven metre pipe and tested its impact on 750 people at a concert, said infrasound is also generated by natural phenomena.

"Some scientists have suggested that this level of sound may be present at some allegedly haunted sites and so cause people to have odd sensations that they attribute to a ghost - our findings support these ideas," said Professor Richard Wiseman, a psychologist at the University of Hertfordshire in southern England.

In the first controlled experiment of infrasound, Lord and Wiseman played four contemporary pieces of live music, including some laced with infrasound, at a London concert hall and asked the audience to describe their reactions to the music.

The audience did not know which pieces included infrasound but 22% reported more unusual experiences when it was present in the music.

Their unusual experiences included feeling uneasy or sorrowful, getting chills down the spine or nervous feelings of revulsion or fear.

"These results suggest that low frequency sound can cause people to have unusual experiences even though they cannot consciously detect infrasound," said Wiseman, who presented his findings to the British Association science conference.

Infrasound is also produced by storms, seasonal winds and weather patterns and some types of earthquakes. Animals such as elephants also use infrasound to communicate over long distances or as weapons to repel foes.

"So much has been said about infrasound - it's been associated with just about everything from beam weapons to bad driving. It's wonderful to be able to examine the evidence," said Sarah Angliss, a composer and engineer who worked on the project.

I remember reading something about this a few years back.... it might explain a lot of things regarding why some people see ghosts and other's don't.
post #533 of 538 Old 02-03-2006, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker George
I believe ghosts are "incorporeal". Not "real".

:)

Ed
post #534 of 538 Old 02-04-2006, 05:01 AM
Advanced Member

There are many things that could not be initially proven that were eventually validated, such as relativity.

Many physicists now believe in parallel universes, multiple unseen dimensions because the math tells them so.

As soon as they get enough evidence by observing high energy neutrinos from distant galaxies interact with atoms in ice buried deep in Antarctica, the world will change forever.
post #535 of 538 Old 02-04-2006, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tm22721
As soon as they get enough evidence by observing high energy neutrinos from distant galaxies interact with atoms in ice buried deep in Antarctica, the world will change forever.
There's some great research being done on this by Miskatonic University.

Scott

post #536 of 538 Old 02-04-2006, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I've had several unexplainable experiences throughout my life. From a young lad of 6-7 or so, I can recall several nights being "visited" by something/someone, after or even before I went asleep. I distinctly remembering that I knew it was futile to attempt to wake my parents or brother. I recall one night looking out my window and then suddenly floating through the sky outside my house. I VIVIDLY recall one time being dragged from my bed by two "visitors", who pulled me by the feet but I was floating about 2 feet off the ground. I was pulled passed my parents room and their door was opened and I screamed as loud as I could for them but they wouldn’t wake up. I was then dragged down the hall and that's where the memory ends.

Several mornings I would awake with these vivid memories that I knew weren't dreams. At the time (late 70's) and at my age, I have never heard of "visitor experiences" before. Since my teens, I've recalled several late night episodes of waking up with someone next to my bed (that I could never make out their features). All I knew is that they were diminutive and wearing a one-color suit or no clothes. Since then I've always been interested in the Alien phenomenon and have avoided/feared any sort of regressive hypnosis, because I'm afraid of what I'll remember. I actually prefer not knowing everything.

At the age of 19 I remember driving home alone from a late night with friends and noticed a bright object in the sky that appeared to be following me. The object would appear to be as close as 200 yards and up to a couple of miles away. It made no sound and shifted in a way no known aircraft could. I decided to see if it was following me, so I avoided going straight home and changed my route to see if it would follow me around in circles and it did. I did this for over 20 minutes. I even called my friend that I was with earlier to tell him what I saw. Needless to say, I made it home to my driveway, and there it was, above my house. I went inside and stayed up the entire night.

To the layperson this may sound like hysteria, craziness or a cry out for attention, but I'm the most levelheaded and analytical person I know. I've rarely talked about it to anyone, due to embarrassment and humiliation.

All I know is that someone is out there, but I don't feel the need to prove or argue it with anyone. I do think that sometime in my lifetime, we'll be let in on a huge "secret".

Jasman
post #537 of 538 Old 02-04-2006, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasman
I do think that sometime in my lifetime, we'll be let in on a huge "secret".

Jasman
Acually, it happens at death. Personally, I am in NO HURRY to find out. :D

Chris.

Knowledge is based on facts which are true until proven false. Truth is based on opinion and can't be proven, or disproven at all...
post #538 of 538 Old 02-04-2006, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlo
Yeah..but you forgot..scientific methology STILL hasnt shown us and possibly never will be able to prove how WE got here...men didnt create men...or did they...I guarantee you that ONLY faith in whatever way we got here is the only belief..Whats your thought..that we EVOLVED - lets say we did..there still has to be a creator to be able to be able to provide the Beginning...We are prewired that everything has one..therefore someone / something had to be able to create us and instill that in us - that we have a beggining..
Just to reput this point. :D

Person 1: Who created the universe?
Person 2: God did.
Person 1: Who created God?
Person 2: No one did, he has always been here.
Person 1: Why not say the universe has always been here and skip the middle man?
Person 2: Ahhh...... :eek:

Chris.

Knowledge is based on facts which are true until proven false. Truth is based on opinion and can't be proven, or disproven at all...
Closed Thread Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page