Liked: 10
"Pi"

I may be wrong but I'm not wrong long.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll second Eat, Drink, Man, Woman. For a sappy movie, Frankie and Johnny is underrated.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ToastedAudiolab

Since we are on the subject of Medieval Sword Flicks, anyone ever see El Cid starring Charlton Heston? I still haven't.
I saw it a couple years ago, and honestly, I was underwhelmed. At this point I couldn't say why though. But it didn't grab me like the others that have been mentioned so far.
Not quite along the same lines, but a big budget extravaganza with a terrible reputation that I finally got to see and actually liked quite well was Liz Taylor's Cleopatra. It's not one of the greatest epics ever, but far better than most would have you think these days.

Don't taze me, bro!!
Old 04-24-2005, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by FredProgGH
...Not quite along the same lines, but a big budget extravaganza with a terrible reputation that I finally got to see and actually liked quite well was Liz Taylor's Cleopatra. It's not one of the greatest epics ever, but far better than most would have you think these days.
The original, final cut of the film (thats after they edited out what they didn't want) was a staggering six hours in length. Talk about a butt numbing film. I think the second edited version was down to a mere four. The studio knew they couldn't get away with six hours no matter how good it was, hence the editing out of two hours. I need to re-watch Cleopatra. Its been thirty years or so since I saw it last.

I am the Night Rider! I'm a fuel injected suicide machine! -- Night Rider from Mad Max

My DVD Collection
Old 04-24-2005, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Great thread! Lot of memories and some new ones to see.

One of my favorites NIGHTMARE ALLEY I here there is a new release in a noir boxset.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039661/

Psych1
Old 04-24-2005, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Cerro Torre (Scream of Stone) about a pair of climbers who compete to get to the top of a mountain in Patagonia.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PROjackson
The Limey
I watched this last night. I first saw it during the first year I had a DVD player, 2000, and I rented it from a neighborhood shop that had an eclectic selection. Man, I miss that place.

After watching it, I had to buy it! I love the story, look, and soundtrack of this film. A scene I'm particularly fond of is when Wilson and his friends are heading to Big Sur and The Byrds' 'It Happens Each Day' plays. Perfectly California, IMO.

I really love 'Jesus' Son' with Billy Crudup and Samantha Morton(yum!). This film appeals to me for pretty much the same reasons as 'The Limey'. A fave scene in this is when Samantha dances to Tommy Roe's 'Sweet Pea'! Don't own this yet, but I will.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:23 AM
KOA
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Ulee's Gold is another good Peter Fonda film.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:31 PM

The Fast Runner

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0285441/

Canadian Film, made by the Inuit, in their native language with subtitles. Absolutely stunning.

The Ice Storm

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119349/

Ang Lee ("Hulk" Director) in a superb film about a wealthy disenfranchised Connecticut suberb. Sigourney Weaver, Kevin Kline, Tobey Maguire, Christina Ricci, Joan Allen, Elijah Wood.

Laurel Canyon

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0298408/

Frances McDormand pulls off an amazing performance as an aging rock music producer whose uptight son, Christian Bale comes home with his fiancee, Kate Beckinsale to stay while looking for a place to live in LA.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The original, final cut of the film (thats after they edited out what they didn't want) was a staggering six hours in length. Talk about a butt numbing film. I think the second edited version was down to a mere four. The studio knew they couldn't get away with six hours no matter how good it was, hence the editing out of two hours. I need to re-watch Cleopatra. Its been thirty years or so since I saw it last.
You can definitely tell when you watch it that it is badly truncated, and I guess the cut footage has been lost or destroyed- so the 5 Star Edition out now it all we're ever to see likely. A shame- in its original form it might have been on the level of a Ben Hur...

Don't taze me, bro!!
Old 04-24-2005, 12:57 PM

Anybody care to compile the films mentioned into a list?
This is one of the best threads yet! Awesome idea. So often we talk about the blockbuster films with the big budgets and big stars. But let's face it, it is often the little gems that bring us the most pleasure.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a film that won wide critical acclaim yet thoroughly bombed at the box office. Part of the reason why, I think, is because it was the summer of 1982 when ET was dominating the theatres. The film was Bladerunner (Harrison Ford, Sean Young). It was big with sci-fi fans, although most people give a you blank look when asked if they have seen it. If any of you out there are fans of the movie The Fifth Element (1997) but haven't seen Bladerunner I invite you to give it a shot. Bladerunner had a profound influence on The Fifth Element. In fact when The Fifth Element was released there was a write up in papers about Bladerunners impact on the film. I'm sure the article can be found out there on the internet for you hardcore movie buffs.

I am the Night Rider! I'm a fuel injected suicide machine! -- Night Rider from Mad Max

My DVD Collection
Old 04-24-2005, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I'll second Eulie's Gold and The Ice Storm. I have both of them in my collection and like them a lot.

The Ice Storm is a great look at all that was wrong with the 70's. That whole jaded cynicism of the 60's generation who figured out that the world wasn't going to change and that they were stuck in the same ruts as their parents, and their desparate attempts to avoid facing it. It has a lot of humor and pathos in good measure.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

Old 04-24-2005, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
A Sigourney Weaver flick I loved was Death and the Maiden.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
Old 04-24-2005, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Here is a film that won wide critical acclaim yet thoroughly bombed at the box office. Part of the reason why, I think, is because it was the summer of 1982 when ET was dominating the theatres. The film was Bladerunner (Harrison Ford, Sean Young). It was big with sci-fi fans, although most people give a you blank look when asked if they have seen it. If any of you out there are fans of the movie The Fifth Element (1997) but haven't seen Bladerunner I invite you to give it a shot. Bladerunner had a profound influence on The Fifth Element. In fact when The Fifth Element was released there was a write up in papers about Bladerunners impact on the film. I'm sure the article can be found out there on the internet for you hardcore movie buffs.
Hehe-- I don't know how it is out there in Plano but at AVS you will find very few that have not seen (and enjoyed, and endlessly debated) Blade Runner. There have been a LOT of threads. :)

BTW, Deckard's not a replicant... oops, let's not get that started in a realy good thread. :D

Don't taze me, bro!!
Old 04-24-2005, 01:46 PM
KOA
Advanced Member

A few more:

Happy Accidents
About a Boy
Assassination Tango
The Lover
Secondhand Lions
Igby Goes Down
Life as a House
Searching for Bobby Fischer
The Triplets of Belleville
Owning Mahowny
The Gambler
Thief
Old 04-24-2005, 02:09 PM

KOA, some excellent names on that list! I would wholeheartedly second Thief and Owning Mahownyy, although I think Thief was probably too popular to make the cut on this thread. Fabulous Tangerine Dream soundtrack. On a personal note, my father knew Mahowny's boss. Yikes!
Old 04-24-2005, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I meantioned Bobby Fischer previously, and would definitely second About a Boy and Igby Goes down. I've picked up My Life as a House a number of times, but never actually got to the counter with it.

Oh, and something reminds me of The Road to Wellville. It's a hilarious farce that never seemed to get a lot of attention. Don't know what shape the DVD is in, but probably it sucks.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

Old 04-24-2005, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tangram
The Fast Runner

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0285441/

Canadian Film, made by the Inuit, in their native language with subtitles. Absolutely stunning.
Yes, a very interesting and unusual film. It's about a very different culture that's not widely known (even up here!)
Old 04-24-2005, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
One that I really enjoyed years ago and been meaning to pick up a copy of: The Long Good Friday.
Great british crime movie with Bob Hoskins and Helen Mirren.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 19
i was so interested in seeing Fast Runner when i first heard about it, but then i bought the dvd and it sat on my shelf for the longest time, and finally i had to fess up that i never had any 'practical' desire to watch it so i ebayed it.

but while waiting for payment, relieved that i wasn't 'stuck' with it i finally gave it a shot and it blew me away.
what a f#ckin' fantastic trip that was.
so outside the pale of all of our daily lives, it almost plays like fantasy.
not to mention some truly stunning vistas on display.

will definitely be buying that again someday, but i may end up waiting for an HD release, although PQ on the current disc is already gorgeous.

Happy Accidents-
yeah, forgot about this one. one of the better modern romantic (comedies?) i can remember seeing- really good chemistry from the leads, a really sweet story- but the damn film has one fatal flaw for me- an over-active, constantly calling attention to itself, hand held camera.
other than that (which is a BIG demerit, imo) a great movie.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:31 PM
KOA
Advanced Member

A Phillip Marlowe movie directed by Robert Altman and starring Elliott Gould and Sterling Hayden...The Long Goodbye.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Probably the most under appreciated films are documentaries. Here are my favorites:

1. American Pimp 1999: Very funny, yet very sad. I am a police officer and I can tell you that what the Hughes Brothers presented is actually very realistic. SEE THIS MOVIE.

2. The Kid Stays in the Show 2002. A rags to riches hollywood story about Robert Evans, who produced The Godfather. Brilliantly executed. Not a dull moment.

3. One Day in September 1999: About the terrorist attacks at the 1972 Munich Olympics. This won the Academy Award. After 9-11-2001, very relevant. How we become complacent, again and again and again...

PSN Gamertag: chris5977

In War: Resolution
In Defeat: Defiance
In Victory: Magnanimity
In Peace: Good Will

Winston Spencer Churchill
Old 04-24-2005, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hehe-- I don't know how it is out there in Plano but at AVS you will find very few that have not seen (and enjoyed, and endlessly debated) Blade Runner. There have been a LOT of threads. :)

BTW, Deckard's not a replicant... oops, let's not get that started in a realy good thread. :D

I guess I should have known, I am talking to fellow movie buffs here and
Bladerunner has quite a cult following. But then again I am relatively new to this forum. However, in keeping with the original topic of this thread most average people you talk to have never heard of this movie let alone seen it. At least most people I know.
Anyone know where I can get an original version of this film? I prefer the Directors Cut, however I'd like to see the original version again for comparison.
I loved Sean Young in her 1940's look. She looked hot later in the film in the fur coat and her hair let down. But there is just something about that suit, pumps, her 40's hair style and the way she walked.HOT!

My DVD Collection
Old 04-24-2005, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
However, in keeping with the original topic of this thread most average people you talk to have never heard of this movie let alone seen it. At least most people I know.
Are you young? (-ish?? :D) I find that hard to believe, but the movie *is* over 20 years old- dang!! I suppose it's easy to forget a lot of movie going kids weren't born when it was out and might not really be familiar with it. Makes me feel old *lol*

The original version is probably available on VHS at a video store near you... it was sold that way for years before the Director's Cut came out in, what, '92 or so??

Don't taze me, bro!!
Old 04-24-2005, 10:57 PM
Advanced Member

Hey Des Flurane: Thanks for reminding me of Tampopo. Did you see A Taxing Women and Return of a Taxing Women? All by Juzo Itami. The latter two are funny, touching and clever all at the same time. I would say all three belong on this list. To bad old Juzo checked out early.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by smyth22
Hey Des Flurane: Thanks for reminding me of Tampopo. Did you see A Taxing Women and Return of a Taxing Women? All by Juzo Itami. The latter two are funny, touching and clever all at the same time. I would say all three belong on this list. To bad old Juzo checked out early.
I have A Taxing Woman but I haven't seen Return. ATW is a cute and entertaining movie but it doesn't hold a candle to Tampopo IMO, which is one of my all time top ten films.

Don't taze me, bro!!
Old 04-24-2005, 11:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
...Anyone know where I can get an original version of [Blade Runner]?
This too has been discussed quite a bit.

There are a few web sites dedicated to keeping up with this (here is one: http://www.brmovie.com/BR_Special_Edition.htm)

The basic rundown is that a dvd was planned, and as far as anyone can tell, actually made, that has three versions of the movie, including the original as well as what Ridley Scott actually wanted (which is not the same thing as what was actually released as "director's cut" back in 1992).

But it has all been tied up in litigation for years and indications are that a certain Mr. Perenchio is the root cause.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Are you young? (-ish?? :D) I find that hard to believe, but the movie *is* over 20 years old- dang!! I suppose it's easy to forget a lot of movie going kids weren't born when it was out and might not really be familiar with it. Makes me feel old *lol*

The original version is probably available on VHS at a video store near you... it was sold that way for years before the Director's Cut came out in, what, '92 or so??

No, Fred I am unfortunately not young. Not completely old yet, but not young either. I was 20 when Bladerunner was released. I find a lot of young guys have seen this flick, while a ton of oldsters (my age) haven't. Or maybe I just run with an uncultured, boring crowd...actually that could very well be the case now that I think about it... :eek: now I need a stiff drink. :(
I've combed the used video stores and cannot find a copy of the original release to save my life. I haven't searched e-bay yet. I'll just wait for that
Bladerunner Special Edition DVD Oscar told us about to be released.

Thanks Oscar for the heads up and the link. Did you sign the petition?

My DVD Collection