Anybody getting the Appleseed DVD? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 05-09-2005, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Although I missed it in the theaters a couple months back, I saw it at a friend's place and was very impressed with the cgi/anime look of the movie. According to DVDfile.com the dvd has great PQ and SQ.

I'm probably getting the 2-disk version, I like the idea of the metal case, should go well with my T2X, Akira, and Halo2 Limited cases :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 05-09-2005, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I ordered the LE tin myself, back in April. Delivery date is May 18th, hopefully it should be great!

-JR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 Old 05-09-2005, 06:20 PM

I've put it at the top of my Netflix que.

Ferrets are Family/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 25 Old 05-09-2005, 07:29 PM

It's a fantastic release. I found it out at Wal Mart on Saturday. It was the first DVD that I popped in when I got home. It totally blew me away
post #5 of 25 Old 05-09-2005, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Very cool. My local store got it and I imagine I'll see it this week.

Don't taze me, bro!!
post #6 of 25 Old 05-11-2005, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

So PQ is decent? Sound? Trailer looks good.

post #7 of 25 Old 05-11-2005, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

PQ is a bit soft sometimes but overall good and very clean. The animation, however, is fantastic!

SQ is a mixed bag, it doesn't have the punch that you would expect, the bass is often lacking, the DD is a bit flat, and the DTS doesn't seem to be mixed correctly. The DTS track sounds too rear heavy and center light, very light. I had to turn up my center channel +10db to get it to sound decent, even then it lacked definition. It was so bad I had to get up and put my ear to the center channel to make sure it was working. Overall the English DD lacked sonic impact and the Japanees DD and DTS mixes were even worse, which made this very disappointing since it is such an action heavy movie.

On the good side, the sound mixing does sound more complex than most anime I've heard with nice spacial/surround effects here an there. The DTS track is very open and more detailed than the DD track, but the poor DTS channel volume levels is really distracting. Voice acting was not bad.

Haven't had the time to watch the extras.

The collectors edition case is very nicely done. It uses the same type of tin case that the Halo 2 Limited Edition came in, but with very nicely done full color artwork on the front and back.

Overall, great animation, good PQ, so so story, and poor SQ. Too bad too, since this would have made a great HT demo disk.
post #8 of 25 Old 05-11-2005, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I can't believe CC doesn't stock this in their stores!?! I went to go pick this up with Assault on 13 and the guy said they don't stock this type of adult cartoon. Huh? This isn't La Blue Girl now, so what's up with that? Anyways, I guess I'll get it from BB this weekend.

post #9 of 25 Old 05-11-2005, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

I heard Walmart has it for much cheaper ($6 less for the CE), don't know if it's true, don't shop at Walmart.
post #10 of 25 Old 05-11-2005, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mmccking
SQ is a mixed bag, it doesn't have the punch that you would expect, the bass is often lacking, the DD is a bit flat, and the DTS doesn't seem to be mixed correctly. The DTS track sounds too rear heavy and center light, very light. I had to turn up my center channel +10db to get it to sound decent, even then it lacked definition. It was so bad I had to get up and put my ear to the center channel to make sure it was working. Overall the English DD lacked sonic impact and the Japanees DD and DTS mixes were even worse, which made this very disappointing since it is such an action heavy movie.

On the good side, the sound mixing does sound more complex than most anime I've heard with nice spacial/surround effects here an there. The DTS track is very open and more detailed than the DD track, but the poor DTS channel volume levels is really distracting. Voice acting was not bad.
Interesting. I've seen a few reviews stating that the PQ and DTS track were fantastic. Does anyone else have some feedback? It'd be great to hear some opinions.

-JR

post #11 of 25 Old 05-12-2005, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

JR, I know, I've read reviews from DVDfile and DVD Talk that both rave about the disk's PQ and SQ, but it's really not up to snuff, at least my copy isn't anyways :(

In looking at the PQ in more detail tonight, it has some problems with flagging, macro blocking, and banding. I saw this with 2 different DVD players and my HTPC :(
post #12 of 25 Old 05-12-2005, 08:28 AM

The picture is outstanding on my setup, as well as the DTS track. This is with a Denon 2910 DVD player, Rotel receiver, B&W speakers and a Samsung DLP. Outstanding DVD, at least on my setup... YMMV.

Mike

XBL Gamertag: A4Mode
post #13 of 25 Old 05-12-2005, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I have the original Japanese DVD (region 2) which I bought in error because it is missing the subtitles (dohhh...) and the just released region 1. The region 1 version is FAR softer than the original Japanese DVD. It seems out of focus and whites seems to be a tad crushed. The Japanese version has a crisper look and the picture is stunning.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #14 of 25 Old 05-12-2005, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

After watching the intro again this morning, it sounds like the music is too loud and the SFX from the fronts are too soft on the DTS cut, the DD version has the music mixed softer so it makes the sound effects sound louder but even it is still too soft for an action movie IMHO. There are some effects I can barely make out . Although this may be intentional with the mix, however, if it is it is doing the movie an injustice.

I'm going to try replacing the DVD to see if that helps (worth a shot since BB is so close to my office).
post #15 of 25 Old 05-12-2005, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for that info Jon, how does the audio sound on the Japanese release? I'd assume that it'd be the same audio track as the DTS track on the R1 release, but who knows.

I'm really looking forward to this DVD, especially with all the raves I've been seeing as mmccking noted on various sites...but it sounds like the reviews may be a bit off. :(

-JR

post #16 of 25 Old 05-12-2005, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

I checked out the first 5 minutes or so last night and also felt something wasn't right with the audio. I only tried the DTS and would agree with mmccking's comments.

One thing about the movie itself that disappointed me right away was a Matrix style freeze in action that just made me roll my eyes... I've seen enough of that for the rest of my life.
post #17 of 25 Old 05-12-2005, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I don't watch any anime, but this movie really sounds good. The thing is that the reviews I read say that this dvd and it's DTS track is awesome. I guess I will rent it before buying.

Ernie
.:
:.

post #18 of 25 Old 05-13-2005, 04:00 AM

I have to agree with mode101. This movie looked and sounded great.(English DD 5.1). I was also pretty impressed with the english voice acting.
post #19 of 25 Old 05-13-2005, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

I got a hold of the Japanese release of Appleseed and can hear a distinct difference in the sound mixes. The sfx on the Japanese version sounds as you would expect, high impact action has highly dynamic effects, while the same scene on the US release sounds compressed. In fact, that's exactly the problem I've been hearing, all the sound effects have been put through a dynamic range compression filter...at maximum setting. This difference can be heard on the DD, DTS and 2-channel tracks.

Sometimes I use my Sony ES's dynamic compression when watching action movies at night to not wake the kids, this is just what the sfx track sounds like on the Appleseed DVD. The problem initially threw me off because the music track does not sound compressed.

From depeche's and l.hatt's comments I would hope that this is a problem only on some pressings of this disk. mode101 and l.hatt do you guys have the 2 disk or single disk version?
post #20 of 25 Old 05-13-2005, 09:18 AM

I have the 1 disc edition. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's the best I've heard, but it is pretty good.
post #21 of 25 Old 05-13-2005, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 43
The Japanese R2 DVD has superior dynamics over the American R1 version. Overall, the R2 is notably better.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #22 of 25 Old 05-16-2005, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

According to Dan from DVDFile who did the Appleseed review, he was given a pre-production NFR copy which may explain why he didn't see these problems. As stated earlier, these problems do not exist with the R2 release so we know a "good" version exists and that these problems are not intentional.
post #23 of 25 Old 05-18-2005, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

As per my post over at animeondvd.com about the Appleseed R1 Japanese audio (DD and DTS):

- volume of center and left channel is too low by about -5dB
- missing effects track in rears and LFE

In other words something's gone seriously wrong with the mix.

/frode
post #24 of 25 Old 05-23-2005, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

If you have dynamic range problems with the sound effects on the Appleseed DVD's audio, especially on the Japanese language tracks, email or contact the following:

1. Geneon/Pioneer @ 310.952.2406
2. info@rightstuf.com

They have privately aknowledge the problem, but unfortunately, will not/cannot do anything about it.

It might be a long shot considering the size of the publisher, but hopefully enough interest can get them to re-press the disk with corrected audio.
post #25 of 25 Old 07-14-2005, 08:48 AM

This is the first disc I have found to have a "better" DD track than DTS track. I was tinkering with my subs and decided to do a sound check and grabbed the Appleseed disc. I had watched it only with the English DD 5.1 mix and decided to demo the DTS track. I assumed the opening scene would be thunderous. I was shocked at the lack of LFE in the scene. I thought something was wrong with my subs. I switched to the English DD5.1 mix and the LFE came to life. But as I continued to watch I was really disappointed in the mix overall. While the surround usage is well done in the English mix, there is a noticeable lack of dynamics to the action scenes. I read a lot of the reviews and it makes me wonder if they actually "listen" to the discs or what equipment they use. If there equipment doesn't deliver the impact they may never know it's missing.
Closed Thread Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page