King Kong - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-16-2005, 12:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
King Kong was :D . I loved it. To me a movie like this is pure escapism, and I don't mind the three-hour running time. It's three hours I'm lost in a movie world. I wish I didn't cry at the end since I knew the ending, but damn it, I couldn't help it!

I love the smell of karma in the morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2005, 02:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i saw it today, i have to say that i love it, however what i hate was the 15 commercial that i have to watch to see the movie and i counted my self, i hate cinemas more and more before i went to the cinema Whit my wife almost every month now we go Only for a movie like this one, again at the end i just love kkong cant wait to buy the DVD

English Is Not My First Language
My HD-DVD/BD Collection

Old 12-16-2005, 04:50 AM

I just want to ask those that have seen it a question.

Does King Kong kill anyone in this version ( if the answers no then i fear i won't like it as i am a huge fan of the original 33' version and Kong isn't some hippie ape that loves everyone he's a killer who bites peoples heads off ) i'm worried Jackson has made Kong too human, can anyone confirm without spoiling the plot if Kong kills any humans in this version or not ?

Of course by the end of the 33' version we do care for the character but if Jackson has removed the killing of humans to make the Kong character more acceptable to modern audiences then i think it would be a huge mistake.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member

Foxy you have nothing to worry about.

Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Esenin
I think it's to be expected considering the time of year and the economy. Two weeks before Christmas in a bad year, you can't expect many people at all to be at the movies on Wednesday/Thursday. You can't reasonably compare it to summer openings, and openings in good economic climates, because right now people are working extra hours and spending on Christmas gifts, not taking off early on weekdays to see a movie...

Which is kind of my point. Almost nobody is going to weekday movies less than 2 weeks before Christmas. Especially not this year, when even the price of action figures has increased due to petroleum prices. Most people are too busy working overtime to get extra money, or shopping for gifts. The real deciding factor will be Friday-Sunday earnings.
I don't think this was expected in any shape, form, or fashion by the studio. Period.

OTOH, it's too early to make any concrete judgements, it's only one day of receipts.

I'm curious if anyone has access to the opening receipts for the latest Harry Potter movie. Did it open earlier in its premier week as well (instead of a Friday opening)? This might be a reasonable comparison of a currently released film in roughly the same time period.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:31 AM

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder
I just want to ask those that have seen it a question.

Does King Kong kill anyone in this version ( if the answers no then i fear i won't like it as i am a huge fan of the original 33' version and Kong isn't some hippie ape that loves everyone he's a killer who bites peoples heads off ) i'm worried Jackson has made Kong too human, can anyone confirm without spoiling the plot if Kong kills any humans in this version or not ?
Boy, are you gonna be happy.

Quote:
Of course by the end of the 33' version we do care for the character but if Jackson has removed the killing of humans to make the Kong character more acceptable to modern audiences then i think it would be a huge mistake.
I did not care for the character in the original as much as most possibly because of the wasted human life (especially the mistakenly grabbed brunette). An odd foible of mine. I did care for this one. Maybe because he exhibited so much more "reality", I guess. Ann had a lot to do with the emotional feeling at the end as well.
This version is the only one to reward my time spent viewing with tears.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I enjoyed this new "King Kong" very much. My favorite line was near the beginning, when Denham is looking for an actress. He's already got the costumes (size 4), and he and his flunky are discussing options. This exchange was priceless:
"Fay is a size 4."
"But she's doing a picture now for RKO."

The new Kong is the best digitally animated character yet. The expressions and mannerisms Serkis performed and WETA captured are very effective, and give the story more emotional depth than previous versions.

It is obvious how much Jackson reveres the 1933 Kong, as he pays homage throughout this "remake." Like the scene with the Skull Island natives in the original film? Obviously, the updated movie has a much different scene on Skull Island, but you'll get to see a nearly exact reproduction of the original version once they get Kong on stage back in NYC. Like some of the corny dialogue from the original? It's lifted verbatim. Like the scene where Ann and Jack escape from Kong on the precipice? It's different now, but evokes the original scene nicely, and includes the famous vine-pulling sequence. And so it goes, throughout the new version.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
The new Kong is the best digitally animated character yet. The expressions and mannerisms Serkis performed and WETA captured are very effective, and give the story more emotional depth than previous versions.
Absolutely. As I sat there watching it, I kept thinking, "I know this is CGI", but wow...this is such an accomplishment. Between Kong and Aslan, it just shows you can get a "leading actor" who is CGI to be very believable.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK
I enjoyed this new "King Kong" very much. My favorite line was near the beginning, when Denham is looking for an actress. He's already got the costumes (size 4), and he and his flunky are discussing options. This exchange was priceless:
"Fay is a size 4."
"But she's doing a picture now for RKO."
Cooper's name is also mentioned in this exchange. It was a very nice homage.

Quote:
Yes, yes, yes. The production diaries DVD set has the Kong/Trex fight in it and I was glad to be able to watch this scene again. Kong is as much a fully realized being as any human in the film. The subtleties of movement are "scarily" spot-on.
I recommend the DVD Production diary set for anyone who enjoyed King Kong. If you like real behind-the-scenes material you'll love this offering. But there are very few (almost none) finished scenes from the film, except for the one mentioned.

Quote:
It is obvious how much Jackson reveres the 1933 Kong, as he pays homage throughout this "remake." Like the scene with the Skull Island natives in the original film? Obviously, the updated movie has a much different scene on Skull Island, but you'll get to see a nearly exact reproduction of the original version once they get Kong on stage back in NYC. Like some of the corny dialogue from the original? It's lifted verbatim. Like the scene where Ann and Jack escape from Kong on the precipice? It's different now, but evokes the original scene nicely, and includes the famous vine-pulling sequence. And so it goes, throughout the new version.
Again, agreed. Although one small area where the original bests the remake, IMO: when the ship clears the fog in the original the image of Skull Island is perfect. The mystery and the "look" are iconic. I remember after seeing "Jurassic Park" (I loved it) I felt it lacked that Skull Island look and mystic. Especially at the end of the film, (JP) as the helicopter flew away, there could have been one last long look at the island where all the drama had occurred.
There is too much activity for there to be a quiet view of Skull Island when it is come upon in this version as there was in the original.

BTW, speaking of the scene where Ann and Jack escape from Kong on the precipice:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
How did Jack manage to find the exact spot where Kong and Ann were on the island? There was no shot of him seeing them or hearing them. He just went straight there. I would liked to have seen even a moment of him scanning the horizon and having a look of discovery, or some such link.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1537 Post(s)
Liked: 1046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-Animator
I wasn't trying to make a point about mileage.
Then why specifically compare a Prius, whose main feature is its incredible gas mileage, to a 1968 "big block muscle car", which ostensibly had lousy gas mileage?
Quote:
King Kong was great.
Complete agreement there.

Sanjay

Sanjay
Old 12-16-2005, 09:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew_wallner
I think what most folks are trying to explain to you is that they don't care, because they think that list is pointless.
Gecko85 is "most folks"?

If most folks, most studios, most of the industry press, most filmakers, most film critics, most movie goers, etc, really do think that that list is pointless, why do they continue to use it? Is this all some giant conspiracy where only a few know the truth about movie grosses?
Quote:
If someone likes movies, they're going to be more interested in how many folks went to see one in terms of its cultural impact. If someone likes money, I guess they're more concerned with myopic metrics which really only hold relevance for someone concerned with marketing current releases.
Oooh, nice back-handed insult. So people who go by the 'tickets sold' list are folks that like movies and those that use 'highest grossing' list are afflicted with myopia of numbers.

Sanjay

Sanjay
Old 12-16-2005, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

We do get wrapped up in box office numbers these days. Regarding the debate over comparing "box office champs" throughout the years, may I suggest it is too difficult to get a straight comparison, even using adjustments for ticket prices? There are many factors involved in determining how many people might leave their home to watch a movie in a theater. Consider that in the earlier years of moviegoing, there were far fewer movies released every year, there were far fewer copies of films in circulation (fewer theater screens), there was no way to replicate or even approximate the movie viewing experience at home, and there were fewer competing entertainment options. Some of these factors would tend to make selling more movie tickets more difficult, and some of the factors would make it simpler to sell more tickets. There is no true direct comparison between movie "success" from generation-to-generation.

Back to our discussion of "King Kong"...

Defend liberty.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani
Oooh, nice back-handed insult. So people who go by the 'tickets sold' list are folks that like movies and those that use 'highest grossing' list are afflicted with myopia of numbers.

Sanjay
Guys, give the rest of us a break.

Top grossing movie is Titanic.
Movie watch by the most people in a theater is Gone With the Wind.
And King Kong will challenge neither.

End of story.

Skip
Old 12-16-2005, 11:30 AM

Thanks, Skip.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Why all the ridiculous off topic movie gross/opening day ect talk....who cares?
This movie is fantastic and should be seen by any true modern movie buff imo.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweiss
My remarks weren't really about the effects in 1931 vs. the effects in 2005. I was faulting the fact that the trailer doesn't convey the story of KING KONG - i.e., on Skull Island, he was the ruler/master of all he surveyed, the King of the island, striking fear in the hearts of the natives, and able to tackle any beast who attacked him. He was invincible. Whatever Kong wanted, Kong got.

But then along comes a blonde waif, and his fierceness turns to curiosity, and his curiosity to protectiveness and affection, and that ends up contributing to his undoing. "It was beauty killed the beast." The opening title card in the film ("And the Prophet said, 'And lo, the beast looked upon the face of beauty. And it stayed its hand from killing. And from that day, it was as one dead.'") set the tone, and Carl Denham's words at the end summed it all up.

Maybe PJ considers that too "sappy" for today's audience, at least as far as the trailer is concerned; he seems to be marketing it as a Big Monster movie, with thrilling adventure and CGI fights.

I suspect the personality of Kong and the relationship between him and Ann, and the "Beauty killed the beast" theme, will indeed come through in the movie, which will make it great. At least I hope so. I cannot imagine that Jackson fell in love with King Kong just because of O'Brien's animation. If so, and it's just a "big monster" movie, it will be all body and no soul.

And amazingly, that's exactly what this movie was. Great movie.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity
Old 12-16-2005, 12:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 433
It's so nice now that we can declare a movie a success or failure based on a single day's box office returns. That's so much more convenient than waiting around to see how much money it takes in during its entire run. I can't wait for the day when the movie doesn't even have to be released before we can call it a flop.

In other matters, I read a columnist the other day who pointed out a crucial flaw in the logic of the original Kong and apparently this remake. If Denham is on an island filled with dinosaurs, why is he so obsessed with bringing a big monkey back to New York? You'd think capturing a dinosaur, even a small one, would be just as much of a spectacle that would make him famous and rich.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Old 12-16-2005, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
This reviewer suggests a method to Jackson's madness in not having CGI-perfect special effects at times:

http://filmfreakcentral.net/screenre...kingkong05.htm

Set in that rough 20-year period between the two World Wars concurrent with the dates most commonly ascribed to the Art Deco movement in Architecture (1920-1939), King Kong opens with appropriately Art Deco titles and ends atop the Empire State Building (built in 1931)--that stylized ziggurat which, in the time of the 1933 King Kong, boasted a spire imagined as a dock for a dirigible. In the interim, from Capt. Englehorn's (Thomas Kretschmann) tramp steamer ("Just like ours!" says stowaway-turned-cabin boy Jimmy (Jamie Bell), pointing to the cover of his Heart of Darkness paperback) to the cramped rooms housing director Carl Denham's (Jack Black) cast and crew to the topography of fearsome Skull Island, Jackson has exploded the stylization of Art Deco to encompass every aspect of the production. Depression-era New York in summer and winter is a marvel of imaginative history, for instance. But the real brilliance comes in the creature design, not only of Kong but of the dinosaurs and insects and bats of Skull Island as well. Each a little south of anatomically correct, the animals in the film are made like the jagged starbursts and sunflowers of Art Deco--there's something ineffably designed about their creation. Jackson announces his presence even here in the creature effects; in one fell swoop you have a demonstration of what a film with a completely unifying vision, one meticulously controlled frame-by-frame, actually looks like. King Kong is an antique picture book come to vivid more-life-than-life, and moments where the digital line between ape and Ann seems unconvincing play a lot more to me like homage to the Jackson-revered original.

I read elsewhere that Jackson deliberately used stage sets with their occasional "fake" look and possible lighting incongruities as an homage to the original KONG. I also read elsewhere that Jackson wanted his dinosaurs to look dinosaury - i.e., scales, jagged spines, etc. - and he did not necessarily make the effort to have them precisely correspond to the latest scientific knowledge of what dinosaurs likely looked and moved like. I.e., these are movie dinosaurs - the dinosaurs of our imaginations - and not natural history museum dinosaurs.

Hoping to see it tonight or tomorrow.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z
It's so nice now that we can declare a movie a success or failure based on a single day's box office returns.
It's kind of like declaring a presidential winner after interviewing 20 people at the exit polls. But then again, Kerry had to try and put the cork back into the champagne bottle.

Skip
Old 12-16-2005, 01:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by 704set
It's kind of like declaring a presidential winner after interviewing 20 people at the exit polls. But then again, Kerry had to try and put the cork back into the champagne bottle.
Or kind of like declaring a presidential winner based on who people actually voted form, rather than what the machines built by a stooge for one of the nominees falsely tallied.

You see, if you're going to be an ass by bringing up stupid and irrelevant political arguments that have nothing to do with the conversation, you deserve a stupid and irrelevant response.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Old 12-16-2005, 01:31 PM

Sanjay,

Re-read my last post very carefully and try to look for the sarcasm. It's only in every word. The reason I didn't use a roll-eye or some other smiley is because I thought it would be overkill. Everyone else here got it. Think about it over the weekend and get back to me. Gas station "grosses". Inflation. Illustrating absurdity by being absurd.

ON TOPIC: How cool were those bats? Scary, bro.

Roll Tide!
Old 12-16-2005, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Or kind of like declaring a presidential winner based on who people actually voted form, rather than what the machines built by a stooge for one of the nominees falsely tallied.

You see, if you're going to be an ass by bringing up stupid and irrelevant political arguments that have nothing to do with the conversation, you deserve a stupid and irrelevant response.

Lighten up, Josh. You're the one turning it into an political arguement.

Skip
Old 12-16-2005, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 704set
Lighten up, Josh. You're the one turning it into an political arguement.

Skip
My "Is King Kong racist?" thread got locked because someone decided to shoot off their keyboard and type in an unrelated remark about Bush being a racist. This thread, too, will be locked if the irrelevant and forbidden political discussions continue.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:15 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
It's so nice now that we can declare a movie a success or failure based on a single day's box office returns. That's so much more convenient than waiting around to see how much money it takes in during its entire run. I can't wait for the day when the movie doesn't even have to be released before we can call it a flop.

In other matters, I read a columnist the other day who pointed out a crucial flaw in the logic of the original Kong and apparently this remake. If Denham is on an island filled with dinosaurs, why is he so obsessed with bringing a big monkey back to New York? You'd think capturing a dinosaur, even a small one, would be just as much of a spectacle that would make him famous and rich.
I can't believe you posted that. For a person who's supposed to be smarter than most of us mindless movie lovers, the greater fascination with the great ape totally went over you head. :(
Old 12-16-2005, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Resorting to namecalling?

Hell hath no fury like a liberal scorned....
Old 12-16-2005, 02:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-Animator
Re-read my last post very carefully and try to look for the sarcasm. It's only in every word.
OK, I missed it. Apologies.
Quote:
How cool were those bats? Scary, bro.
Scary indeed. At the risk of being labeled an iconoclast, I have to admit that this version had me more emotionally engaged than the original ever did. They talk about actors being "in the moment". Well, there wasn't a single time where I doubted what Naomi Watts was experiencing; I found her 100% believable. Even little moments, like on the ice, had me welling up. Like I said, Jackson got his priorities right.

Sanjay

Sanjay
Old 12-16-2005, 02:43 PM

Ok, y'all, I'm guilty of getting off topic by arguing 1930s box office grosses so I'm going to stop now and talk about King Kong. You other folks need to stop with the politics and the foil-hat "voter fraud" theories and talk about this kick-ass movie or the thread will be closed.
Sorry about the foil-hat thing. See how easy it is to get off topic? Foil hat.

ON TOPIC: It wasn't the airplanes. Twas Adrien Brody's nose killed the beast.

Roll Tide!
Old 12-16-2005, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thursday receipts aren't so good. Looking forward to receipts from the weekend.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/c...5-12-14&p=.htm
Old 12-16-2005, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

boxofficemojo is an interesting site. They have data on films that are still in a few theaters, selling only a couple of tickets per day. That's detail!

Looks like the current per-screen-average winner is that cowboy love-that-dare-not-speak-its-name movie, but it's only on 8 screens (doubtless huge auditoria).

"King Kong" should get very positive word-of-mouth, and it has strong critical backing. I think it will generate interest to fill seats over the weekend, but it is curious that it didn't pull off a huge opening night.

Defend liberty.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:26 PM

Yeah, the receipt totals don't look too good yet. Although KK did twice as much business as the next film. Looks like nobody's going to the movies.