MUNICH - sure to cause a stir - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 369 Old 12-04-2005, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
http://www.drudgereport.com/flash4.htm

SPIELBERG HOPES MOVIE CAN BREAK MID-EAST STALEMATE
Sun Dec 04 2005 08:29:34 ET

Steven Spielberg, IN ONLY INTERVIEW WORLDWIDE BEFORE 'MUNICH' RELEASE Discusses CONTROVERSIAL New Film to Open Dec. 23.

‘There has never been an adequate tribute paid to the Israeli athletes who were murdered in ’72,’ Spielberg says.

“I don’t think any movie or any book or any work of art can solve the stalemate in the Middle East today,†director Steven Spielberg tells TIME in an exclusive cover-story interview. “But it’s certainly worth a try,†Spielberg says.

Since filming began in June, the movie (reported to cost around $70 million) “has been surrounded by rumors, criticism, and suggestions that Spielberg was too pro-Israel to make a fair movie,†according to TIME.

- - -

From the TIME article (full article requires subscription):

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...137620,00.html

Spielberg Takes on Terror
Munich adroitly blends high-pressure action and humanity in a historical story that's all about our times
By RICHARD SCHICKEL

The first and most important thing to say about Munich, Steven Spielberg's new film, is that it is a very good movie—good in a particularly Spielbergian way. By which one means that it has all the virtues we've come to expect when he is working at his highest levels. It's narratively clean, clear and perfectly punctuated by suspenseful and expertly staged action sequences. It's full of sympathetic (and in this case, anguished) characters, and it is, morally speaking, infinitely more complex than the action films it superficially resembles—pictures that simply pit terrorists against counterterrorists without an attempt to explore anyone's motives and their tragic implications.

Munich begins and ends with, and frequently reverts to, an account of an especially heinous historical act: the capture and eventual murder of 11 Israeli athletes at the 1972 Olympic Games by a Palestinian terrorist group calling itself Black September. Because television was omnipresent at the Games, the entire world was witness to that awful event. Indeed, it's not too much to say that most of us for the first time perceived the face of modern terrorism in...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 369 Old 12-04-2005, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I look forward to seeing this one. I remember seeing what might have been an HBO movie version of this topic years ago. The name escapes me at the moment (Sword of Gideon?). Eric Bana looks like he can pull off the role even though I can never get his Blackhawk Down character out of my head, lol.

I wonder how long I'll have to wait, though to see this on DVD.

Who can deliver unadulterated 1920x1080 across RGBHV? Evidentally, nobody!
post #3 of 369 Old 12-04-2005, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Liked: 745
The Sword of Gideon was a (fictional) film about retaliation against the terrorists, if I'm remembering correctly. But who knows? Life could imitate art.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*

post #4 of 369 Old 12-04-2005, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 4095
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy
The Sword of Gideon was a (fictional) film about retaliation against the terrorists, if I'm remembering correctly. But who knows? Life could imitate art.
Yes, a pretty good movie that was produced by HBO. Michael York, Rod Steiger, Steven Bauer. One would like to think it's a based on facts.

larry

And the pantaloon duck, white gooseneck quacked: Webcor, Webcor
post #5 of 369 Old 12-04-2005, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Oh well, only watched it once and that was +15 years ago? Memory is tough when you are on a caffeine low. :)

Who can deliver unadulterated 1920x1080 across RGBHV? Evidentally, nobody!
post #6 of 369 Old 12-04-2005, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 294
I remember that one. It was pretty good as I remember it. I didn't even know Spielberg was working on this project. Should be interesting. No movie on this topic will be free of accusations of bias one way or another, even if it was made by aliens who had no knowledge of the people involved. Not to say it's not biased, but even if it wasn't it would be accused of being so because of the level of zealotry on both sides.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #7 of 369 Old 12-04-2005, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
i think Barrak (former prime minister) was among the M. agents who hunted down in Beyrouth the palestinians who murdered the team.
anyway, this movie is a reminder of a reality that took place 30years ago. Spielberg is a remarquable director. (imho). Lucas is just a merchandiser :D
post #8 of 369 Old 12-04-2005, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've been looking forward to this one for a long time, though I didn't think it would make it out this year (pretty fast really). There's a great documentary about Black September called "One Day in September" available on DVD. It won the academy award for best documentary a few years back and it was well deserved.
post #9 of 369 Old 12-05-2005, 12:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Syriana and this in the same month. Showtime's Sleeper Cell opened tonight. Guess there's noise, but I don't know if it's the right kind.
After reading Robert Baer's books (See No Evil/Sleeping With The Devil) last month, I'm in Mid East overload. Black September was a cover name, correct?

E
post #10 of 369 Old 12-05-2005, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital2004
i think Barrak (former prime minister) was among the M. agents who hunted down in Beyrouth the palestinians who murdered the team.
anyway, this movie is a reminder of a reality that took place 30years ago. Spielberg is a remarquable director. (imho). Lucas is just a merchandiser :D

Ehud Barak served in the IDF was a member of their Elite forces, and is rumored to have served in Mossad (intelligence) and was part of the group that performed the counterror against this group.

I cried because i had no G90.... til i met a man who had only Digital.
post #11 of 369 Old 12-05-2005, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Spielberg: 'Munich' a 'prayer for peace'
Director: 'We don't demonize'

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movi...g.munich.reut/

Monday, December 5, 2005; Posted: 8:59 a.m. EST (13:59 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Director Steven Spielberg said his new film "Munich," the story of Israel's revenge for the killing of its athletes by Palestinian guerrillas at the 1972 Olympics, is "a prayer for peace," Time magazine reported on Sunday.

Leaders of Jewish and Muslim groups as well as diplomats and foreign policy experts will preview the film before its Dec. 23 U.S. opening but Spielberg has shied away from the media hype and costly promotional campaigns that typically precede a big-studio movie.

The magazine said its interview was the only one the Oscar-winning director planned to do before the release of the film, which focuses on Israel's response after a Palestinian group took members of its Olympic team hostage at the Munich Games. Eleven Israeli athletes, five kidnappers and one German policeman were killed.

"Somewhere inside all this intransigence there has to be a prayer for peace," Spielberg told Time, "because the biggest enemy is not the Palestinians or the Israelis. The biggest enemy in the region is intransigence."

The director also discussed another film project he is initiating in February, in which he is buying 250 video cameras and players and giving them to Israeli and Palestinian children so that they can make movies about their own lives.

"Not dramas," Spielberg said, "just little documentaries about who they are and what they believe in, who their parents are, where they go to school, what they had to eat, what movies they watch, what CDs they listen to."

Spielberg said the children will then exchange the videos with one another.

"That's the kind of thing that can be effective, I think, in simply making people understand that there aren't as many differences that divide Israelis and Palestinians. Not as human beings anyway," he said.

The director told Time he's very proud of the fact that "Munich" doesn't demonize either the Israeli or Palestinian side.

"We don't demonize our targets," Spielberg said. "They're individuals. They have families."

The movie stars Eric Bana, Daniel Craig and and Oscar winner Geoffrey Rush.

- - -

Trailer at http://www.munichmovie.com/. Looks like 1.85:1. Saw this trailer in the theater 2 weeks ago.
post #12 of 369 Old 12-05-2005, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Compared to the atrocities going on today, this subject matter here seems almost quaint by comparison. But perhaps letting us feel horror at smaller but dramatic tragedies that happened 50 years ago can let us forget about larger atrocities right now that are happening in our names. Non-fiction as escapism.
post #13 of 369 Old 12-05-2005, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=19099

21 Hours at Munich (1976 ABC TV movie) - to be released 12/20. 1.78:1 anamorphic widescreen, too.
post #14 of 369 Old 12-05-2005, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTCrazy
Compared to the atrocities going on today, this subject matter here seems almost quaint by comparison. But perhaps letting us feel horror at smaller but dramatic tragedies that happened 50 years ago can let us forget about larger atrocities right now that are happening in our names. Non-fiction as escapism.
This type of statement is what leads to thread closures. I respectfully request you delete it.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #15 of 369 Old 12-05-2005, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I respectfully request you delete it.
I 2nd the respectful request. Your statement has zero to do with the film and seems meant only to provoke others.
post #16 of 369 Old 12-05-2005, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekun
I 2nd the respectful request. Your statement has zero to do with the film and seems meant only to provoke others.
I third the request for deletion...This is/was a good thread, and we don't need it closed by a flame-baiting post.

Thanks...

Panasonic TC-P60ST60, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Oppo BDP-103D, Pioneer PL-550 + Cambridge Audio Azur 640P, B&W CM1 (fronts), B&W CM Centre, Athena Point 5 Mk II (rears), Hsu VTF-2
----------------------------------------
Sony 34XBR960, Onkyo TX-NR414, Sony PS3, Athena Point 5 Mk II (center and fronts), Wharfedale WH-2 (rears), Polk PSW10
post #17 of 369 Old 12-05-2005, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 206
I have no problem with HT's post. It will be interesting to see how the film settles in Europe and the Mid East. US critics will have a certain bias (I think)

I'd be interested to know if there will be any hint of origin - say from 1920 on. The source of the hate seems important, not the fact that all sides loose.

E
post #18 of 369 Old 12-05-2005, 05:52 PM

Liked: 48
I think HT's post is way out of line and should be deleted. It's a blatant political opinion meant to inflame.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #19 of 369 Old 12-05-2005, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 4095
Some thread editing... Commentary is one thing but when people (cough) "comment" (cough) at each other, that's when things will be halted. The latter hadn't started yet, but there was a post people objected to.

larry

And the pantaloon duck, white gooseneck quacked: Webcor, Webcor
post #20 of 369 Old 12-05-2005, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I agree with the comment, but agree that it's liable to cause some people to get upset (which it already has) and should be deleted. But since the original comment was already deleted, how about deleting the follow-up comments to it, including the one that quotes the now-deleted comment? [Good idea, done... larry]

I agree that this (Munich) looks like a very interesting film. This, plus Syriana, are going to get me back to the movie theater. That and Harry Potter (with my daughter, of course, heheh).
post #21 of 369 Old 12-05-2005, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I read the TIME Magazine interview with Spielberg, as well as the accompanying article. This should be an interesting and thought-provoking film, neither overly praising Israel nor overly condemning the Palestinians.
post #22 of 369 Old 12-05-2005, 11:49 PM

I thought Munich is about the hunt by Mossad of Black September and not about the terrorist episode per se. Check out the excelent documentary "One Day In September" and the books " Vengeance" and "By way of deception".

Nk
post #23 of 369 Old 12-06-2005, 08:25 AM

Liked: 48
It deals with both

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #24 of 369 Old 12-06-2005, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2145 Post(s)
Liked: 1441
Quote:
Originally Posted by eweiss
I read the TIME Magazine interview with Spielberg, as well as the accompanying article. This should be an interesting and thought-provoking film
I just fear that, per Spielberg's usual working method, this will be an interesting and thought-provoking film for about the first 3/4 and then will revert to a foolishly misconceived sentimental ending inappropriate to the material.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #25 of 369 Old 12-06-2005, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
SPIELBERG HOPES MOVIE CAN BREAK MID-EAST STALEMATE
How exactly?
By giving one side the 'moral high ground'?

Even if one side is 'right' and the other is 'wrong' it won't have anything to do with the current process.
Educated people know who is right and who is wrong already but the question is figuring out what to do about the status quo. This movie has nothing to do with the status quo.

Showing how terrorists, 7 years after the creation of their people and cause, killed israeli's in munich due to the arrogance of the germans, isn't going to do anything.
It will just be a better dramatization than they do on the history channel and discovery channel when they talk about the same issue.

Seth

my signature < -- While that looks simple enough, click it for answers to many a question.
post #26 of 369 Old 12-06-2005, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Spielberg's next project is giving 250 video cameras to 125 Israeli children and 125 Palestinian children and having them create their own messages. He does seem intent on trying to help break through the eye-for-an-eye-for-an-eye-for-an-eye-for-an-eye Mideast deadlock. I.e., MUNICH is not a Palestinian-bashing, Israeli-praising movie.
post #27 of 369 Old 12-06-2005, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

post #28 of 369 Old 12-06-2005, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
MUNICH is not a Palestinian-bashing, Israeli-praising movie.
We will see, though I lean toward skepticism.

Chris.

Knowledge is based on facts which are true until proven false. Truth is based on opinion and can't be proven, or disproven at all...
post #29 of 369 Old 12-06-2005, 09:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Wow what a horriblly written review. He starts off the review by saying about 4 times that its the best movie of the year, then uses a bunch of filler, very short on details.

He must of been under the gun to get something to the editor in like, 6 minutes. Either that or he never saw it.
post #30 of 369 Old 12-06-2005, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy
It may have been somewhat fictionalized but the essential story is true. It's a terrific story, and in his serious mode Spielberg is the right guy to tell it. This should be a really good one.

ernie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page