The most beautiful song ever? - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #271 of 906 Old 01-13-2006, 03:22 PM
Member
 
weatherfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Gorden Lightfoot - If you could read my mind
Cat Stevens - Morning has broken
James Taylor - Fire and Rain
Styx - Crystal Ball
John Denver - Rocky mountain high
weatherfan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 906 Old 01-13-2006, 03:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Rammitinski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 17,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonk View Post

What, no Steve Perry/Journey tunes? What about Lovin', Touchin' Squeezin'?

I'm getting the impression that you think I preferred them WITH Perry - maybe I wasn't clear the way I worded it, but what I meant by a "turnaround" was in a negative way. Knowing what you do know about my dislike for "girlie AOR music", you couldn't possibly think I actually like the Perry stuff, could you? Sorry people - another thread.
Rammitinski is offline  
post #273 of 906 Old 01-13-2006, 03:28 PM
 
squonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

I'm getting the impression that you think I preferred them WITH Perry - maybe I wasn't clear the way I worded it, but what I meant by a "turnaround" was in a negative way. Knowing what you do know about my dislike for "girlie AOR music", you couldn't possibly think I actually like the Perry stuff, could you? Sorry people - another thread.

Just being facetious--knew exactly what you meant, although maybe YOU thought I liked Perry and were trying to get my reaction?
squonk is offline  
post #274 of 906 Old 01-13-2006, 03:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Rammitinski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 17,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Not really. You come across as having too much taste for that. Here in Chicagoland, we had to put up with Steve Perry mascotting around and singing " Don't Stop Believin' " with the White Sox during the whole World Series. Being the lifelong Sox fan that I am, and hating that crap as much as I do, it really sucked.
Rammitinski is offline  
post #275 of 906 Old 01-14-2006, 05:26 PM
Newbie
 
MikieTVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A song that has struck me recently is....

"come closer" - My Morning Jacket, My Morning Jacket/Songs: Ohia [EP].

Jim James lyrics and souring voice with reverb and amazing rhythmic time. Their songs have a tendency to haunt you, any song with this lingering beauty is an underground classic.
MikieTVA is offline  
post #276 of 906 Old 01-14-2006, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rickmccamy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: walnut creek, california
Posts: 1,722
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Journey came out of my county, and they were once an innovative band.
Perry was a late and godawful addition.

RMc---y
Available HDTV in Walnut Creek
rickmccamy is offline  
post #277 of 906 Old 01-14-2006, 06:36 PM
Member
 
Tangram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Oakville, ON, Canada
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cavatina (John Williams version from The Deer Hunter)
Don't Let it Bring You Down (Neil Young song but performed by Annie Lennox)
Fields of Joy (Sting song but sung by Eva Cassidy)
Kiss From a Rose (Seal)
Imagine (John Lennon but sung by Eva Cassidy)
Butterflyz (Alicia Keys)
Don't Give Up (Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush)
Sailing (Chris Cross)
These Eyes (The Guess Who)
Woodstock (Joni Mitchell)
Angel (Sarah McLachlan)
Leaving on a Jet Plane (Elton John but sung by Chantal Kreviazuk)
Rocket Man (Elton John)
Red Guitar (David Sylvian)
Forbidden Colors (David Sylvian)

I could go on but those are some of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard.
Tangram is offline  
post #278 of 906 Old 01-14-2006, 08:32 PM
Member
 
longshot21771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A-HA - Velvet
longshot21771 is offline  
post #279 of 906 Old 01-14-2006, 11:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Rammitinski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 17,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmccamy View Post

Journey came out of my county, and they were once an innovative band.
Perry was a late and godawful addition.

That's exactly what we're talking about. You can read about it over in the Progressive Rock thread if so desired, tho there really isn't much more to it than what you just said - we just kind of carried it over here. Kind of a private joke.
Rammitinski is offline  
post #280 of 906 Old 01-15-2006, 12:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Dean Roddey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 19,541
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I would also give a very high score to Sun Kil Moon's Salvador Sanchez:

http://www.npr.org/programs/asc/arch...ndex.html#moon

It's in a Neil Young style, but almost like Neil Young decided to play jazz since it uses changing time signatures, and it's a very beautiful song in my opinion.

This song by Isobel Campbell is very beautiful as well, very much like a lullabye:

http://www.npr.org/programs/asc/arch....html#campbell

And I really like this Thea Gilmore tune:

http://www.npr.org/programs/asc/arch...x.html#gilmore


And this one from M. Ward:

http://www.npr.org/programs/asc/arch...ndex.html#ward

And this one from the Be Good Tanyas:

http://www.npr.org/programs/asc/archives/live012103

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

 

Dean Roddey is offline  
post #281 of 906 Old 01-15-2006, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
daryl zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 2,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangram View Post

Cavatina (John Williams version from The Deer Hunter)
Don't Let it Bring You Down (Neil Young song but performed by Annie Lennox)
Fields of Joy (Sting song but sung by Eva Cassidy)
Kiss From a Rose (Seal)
Imagine (John Lennon but sung by Eva Cassidy)
Butterflyz (Alicia Keys)
Don't Give Up (Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush)
Sailing (Chris Cross)
These Eyes (The Guess Who)
Woodstock (Joni Mitchell)
Angel (Sarah McLachlan)
Leaving on a Jet Plane (Elton John but sung by Chantal Kreviazuk)
Rocket Man (Elton John)
Red Guitar (David Sylvian)
Forbidden Colors (David Sylvian)

I could go on but those are some of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard.

Some nice picks but Leaving on a Jet Plane, isn't that a John Denver song? Also, Chris Cross Nice picks with David Sylvain. Reminds me of another beautiful song, however, John Lennon's (err, the Beatles) "Across the Universe" especially his acoustic version.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
daryl zero is online now  
post #282 of 906 Old 01-15-2006, 10:30 AM
 
squonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

Some nice picks but Leaving on a Jet Plane, isn't that a John Denver song? Also, Chris Cross Nice picks with David Sylvain. Reminds me of another beautiful song, however, John Lennon's (err, the Beatles) "Across the Universe" especially his acoustic version.

Leaving on a Jet Plane was originally a Peter Paul and Mary song, Denver may have written it.
squonk is offline  
post #283 of 906 Old 01-15-2006, 11:24 AM
Member
 
Precision989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This may have been mentioned
Bette Midler - The Rose
Precision989 is offline  
post #284 of 906 Old 01-15-2006, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
daryl zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 2,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonk View Post

Leaving on a Jet Plane was originally a Peter Paul and Mary song, Denver may have written it.

The fact that PP & M first recorded it doesn't make it their song. It was written by John Denver.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
daryl zero is online now  
post #285 of 906 Old 01-15-2006, 01:08 PM
 
squonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

The fact that PP & M first recorded it doesn't make it their song. It was written by John Denver.

Thanks for repeating my post.
squonk is offline  
post #286 of 906 Old 01-15-2006, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
daryl zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 2,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonk View Post

Thanks for repeating my post.

I didn't repeat your post. You "corrected" me by saying it was a Peter, Paul & Mary song the "may" have been written by John Denver. I pointed out that when you say a song is "by" somebody, it is the writer not the original recording artist.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
daryl zero is online now  
post #287 of 906 Old 01-15-2006, 09:11 PM
 
squonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

I didn't repeat your post. You "corrected" me by saying it was a Peter, Paul & Mary song the "may" have been written by John Denver. I pointed out that when you say a song is "by" somebody, it is the writer not the original recording artist.

You didn't even say it was "by" John Denver. You said it was a John Denver song.

sheesh. So when you hear My Way sung by Frank Sinatra, the first thing you say to yourself is, that's a Paul Anka song?

My post clearly and accurately pointed out that the song became known because of Peter Paul and Mary and 99% of the population, if you played the song, would say--Peter Paul and Mary. I acknowledged that Denver did in fact write the song, which is more specific then your somewhat generic comment that it was a "Denver song". And I wasn't correcting your post, just adding to and clarifying it. My aren't we sensitive today.

And if we're being that hypertechnical, why didn't you correct Rocket Man, which technically was written by Bernie Taupin, not Elton John? Was it because just as everyone associates Leaving on a Jet Plane with PP&M, we associate Rocket Man as an Elton John song because he performed it, even though Bernie Taupin wrote it?
squonk is offline  
post #288 of 906 Old 01-15-2006, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
daryl zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 2,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonk View Post

You didn't even say it was "by" John Denver. You said it was a John Denver song.

sheesh. So when you hear My Way sung by Frank Sinatra, the first thing you say to yourself is, that's a Paul Anka song?

My post clearly and accurately pointed out that the song became known because of Peter Paul and Mary and 99% of the population, if you played the song, would say--Peter Paul and Mary. I acknowledged that Denver did in fact write the song, which is more specific then your somewhat generic comment that it was a "Denver song". And I wasn't correcting your post, just adding to and clarifying it. My aren't we sensitive today.

And if we're being that hypertechnical, why didn't you correct Rocket Man, which technically was written by Bernie Taupin, not Elton John? Was it because just as everyone associates Leaving on a Jet Plane with PP&M, we associate Rocket Man as an Elton John song because he performed it, even though Bernie Taupin wrote it?

Frankly I thought you were the one being sensitive but I can certainly see your points and accept them. Certainly there isn't anything of substance involved here. I apologize if I was being snippy.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
daryl zero is online now  
post #289 of 906 Old 01-15-2006, 11:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Rammitinski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 17,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonk View Post

You didn't even say it was "by" John Denver. You said it was a John Denver song.

sheesh. So when you hear My Way sung by Frank Sinatra, the first thing you say to yourself is, that's a Paul Anka song?

My post clearly and accurately pointed out that the song became known because of Peter Paul and Mary and 99% of the population, if you played the song, would say--Peter Paul and Mary. I acknowledged that Denver did in fact write the song, which is more specific then your somewhat generic comment that it was a "Denver song". And I wasn't correcting your post, just adding to and clarifying it. My aren't we sensitive today.

And if we're being that hypertechnical, why didn't you correct Rocket Man, which technically was written by Bernie Taupin, not Elton John? Was it because just as everyone associates Leaving on a Jet Plane with PP&M, we associate Rocket Man as an Elton John song because he performed it, even though Bernie Taupin wrote it?

Did Bernie Taupin write the music for that song? As far as I always knew, and I was a big fan (Goodbye Yellow Brick Road tour was my first "big" concert, not counting Styx, who I saw at my high school and two others back in their Wooden Nickel days), Taupin was the lyricist and 'ole Reg wrote all the music. And jeez, Denver had to be pretty young when he wrote that song - unless he was a lot older than he looked. Yeah, I guess he was lookin' pretty old before he died.
Rammitinski is offline  
post #290 of 906 Old 01-15-2006, 11:32 PM
 
squonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Did Bernie Taupin write the music for that song? As far as I always knew, and I was a big fan (Goodbye Yellow Brick Road tour was my first "big" concert, not counting Styx, who I saw at my high school and two others back in their Wooden Nickel days), Taupin was the lyricist and 'ole Reg wrote all the music. And jeez, Denver had to be pretty young when he wrote that song - unless he was a lot older than he looked. Yeah, I guess he was lookin' pretty old before he died.

Taupin did write the lyrics and John arranges the music, that's why I said technically, since we were discussing the songwriter/lyricist.
squonk is offline  
post #291 of 906 Old 01-15-2006, 11:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Rammitinski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 17,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Oh, okay "Mr. Technical"!
Rammitinski is offline  
post #292 of 906 Old 01-20-2006, 04:03 PM
Newbie
 
Comfortably Numb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As stated before... the eye of the beholder.

OKAY mine:

Doors
Riders on the Storm

Pink Floyd
Hey You

Beatles
A day In the Life

Eagles
Last Resort

Guess Who
American Woman

Led Zepplin
Achilles Last Stand

I can't choose ONE. Its impossible
Comfortably Numb is offline  
post #293 of 906 Old 01-20-2006, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JohnR_IN_LA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Washington DC Area
Posts: 7,490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Travelin' Soldier

Two days past eighteen
He was waiting for the bus in his army green
Sat down in a booth in a cafe there
Gave his order to a girl with a bow in her hair
He's a little shy so she gives him a smile
And he said would you mind sittin' down for a while
And talking to me,
I'm feeling a little low
She said I'm off in an hour and I know where we can go

So they went down and they sat on the pier
He said I bet you got a boyfriend but I don't care
I got no one to send a letter to
Would you mind if I sent one back here to you

Chorus: I cried
Never gonna hold the hand of another guy
Too young for him they told her
Waitin' for the love of a travelin' soldier
Our love will never end
Waitin' for the soldier to come back again
Never more to be alone when the letter said
A soldier's coming home

So the letters came from an army camp
In California then Vietnam
And he told her of his heart
It might be love and all of the things he was so scared of
He said when it's getting kinda rough over here
I think of that day sittin' down at the pier
And I close my eyes and see your pretty smile
Don't worry but I won't be able to write for awhile

[Chorus]

One Friday night at a football game
The Lord's Prayer said and the Anthem sang
A man said folks would you bow your heads
For a list of local Vietnam dead
Crying all alone under the stands
Was a piccolo player in the marching band
And one name read and nobody really cared
But a pretty little girl with a bow in her hair

- Dixie Chicks
JohnR_IN_LA is offline  
post #294 of 906 Old 01-20-2006, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
daryl zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 2,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Okay. Tom Verlaine lyrics for "Days" (punctuated by beautiful guitar work)

DAYS

Up on the high, high hills - with my floating friend -
Watchin' all the silver - no one can ever spend
I feel the touch of her hand - and all it will erase;
These footprints I follow - tho they followed my every pace -
Days, Days, be more than all we have.
No matter how much I cross - I always see the same stream.
I'm standing up on these bridges - that are standing in a dream.
Days, Days, be more than all we have.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
daryl zero is online now  
post #295 of 906 Old 01-20-2006, 10:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Rammitinski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 17,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
"Julia" - John Lennon.
Rammitinski is offline  
post #296 of 906 Old 01-21-2006, 05:36 PM
 
squonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post

Guess Who
American Woman


??? A political song about American tyranny is THE most beautiful song ever?? I mean, I like the song, but.....?
squonk is offline  
post #297 of 906 Old 01-21-2006, 06:26 PM
 
squonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Whispering Pines by The Band, sung by Richard Manual, from the brown album The Band. Fantastic vocal, moving song.
squonk is offline  
post #298 of 906 Old 02-06-2006, 07:36 PM
OBI
Newbie
 
OBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Having read this entire thread I decided I'd join in. It came to my attention that The Rain Song by Led Zeppelin has not been mentioned at all. Having a LOT of favourite songs it is hard to choose an absolute one. However I think this might have a great chance if I'd ever decide to pin one down.

By the way, I enjoyed reading all your posts
OBI is offline  
post #299 of 906 Old 02-06-2006, 09:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Shake1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Man, Eric Clapton's song "Tears in Heaven" is a good one. It's about his little boy, who he lost in an accident. I cannot imagine what he must have went though and how he feels each time he sings it ...
Shake1 is offline  
post #300 of 906 Old 02-06-2006, 11:35 PM
Member
 
vannostrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There's some really beautiful and haunting songs on REM's UP album. Very different from anything else they've done.
vannostrom is offline  
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off