What's the SCARIEST movie YOU have ever seen? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last
Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion > What's the SCARIEST movie YOU have ever seen?
mflanagan's Avatar mflanagan 09:01 AM 01-26-2006
American Werewolf in London!!!! I saw it on HBS late one night when I was 12 and Didnt sleep for a month! The scene where he changed into the werewolf in the livingroom and his hands and face streched....*shivers*!

Karyk's Avatar Karyk 09:03 AM 01-26-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 View Post

Any bonus features on either one?

Yes, but avoid the one labled "outtakes."
spyder696969's Avatar spyder696969 09:07 AM 01-26-2006
EEEEYYYYYEEEWWWW! Now, that IS creepy. Nicely put though.
KOA's Avatar KOA 10:32 AM 01-26-2006
Quote:

Any bonus features on either one?

Mine came with a refreshing beverage I drank the night before the show began.
Karyk's Avatar Karyk 10:46 AM 01-26-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOA View Post

Mine came with a refreshing beverage I drank the night before the show began.

You drank that? Fleet is not a brand of soda!
vbu2c5's Avatar vbu2c5 10:54 AM 01-26-2006
Any sequels planned!

Sorry couldn't help myself!
Christopher B's Avatar Christopher B 11:01 AM 01-26-2006
Most horror movies don't really scare me anymore. I may jump a bit, especially when my wife grabs my arm and grabs a chunk of flesh, but those scares never really stay with you.

For the last couple of years the movies that really creap me out are the good Asian horror movies. Kiyoshi Kurosawa movies like Kairo (Pulse) and Cure. The KIM Jee-Woon, South Korean movie called The Tale of Two Sisters, and the Japanese Dark Water. They all have moments that make my skin crawl, and that feeling stays for a while.

We also just watched The Devil's Backbone last night. That also had some pretty freaky moments, although I made sure that my wife didn't damage me in any way.
KOA's Avatar KOA 11:07 AM 01-26-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbu2c5 View Post

Any sequels planned!

Sorry couldn't help myself!

I saw this almost 5 years ago. I hear there's a remake that's going to be coming around soon.

(SPOILER ALERT)

At least the first one had a happy ending.
Karyk's Avatar Karyk 11:09 AM 01-26-2006
Quote:

No comment.
Karyk's Avatar Karyk 11:10 AM 01-26-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbu2c5 View Post

Any sequels planned!

Yes, apparently they're going to be as common as Bond movies. The next one is apparently an action film too!

spyder696969's Avatar spyder696969 11:27 AM 01-26-2006
Quote:

Are you sure it wasn't a crappy ending?

Hopefully it's not the "happy ending" that they refer to in Asian massage parlors that you're talking about!
launche's Avatar launche 11:34 AM 01-26-2006
Yes Blairwitch had me going. I agree it is underrated, yeah those actors did pull me in as well. I surely thought is was real, the frantic nature of many of those scenes I feel hold their own against any other horror movie. They totally out did many famous directors and actors and it left an impression on me right up there with the Exorcist, The Shining and so on. I'm not much into this stuff but that has to go down as a cult classic of the highest horror degree. I bet it you showed it to someone who didn't hear it was not real or whatever the case is, they would be terrified and absolutely hooked. Sometimes the fact that you know something is or isn't real kills your natural response to it.
gr8daneh's Avatar gr8daneh 11:46 AM 01-26-2006
Suspiria, Italian made B movie, but very creepy...Watch it, I dare you...
spyder696969's Avatar spyder696969 12:01 PM 01-26-2006
I agree with the fact that Blair Witch loses some of its impact when you know it's not real, but does anyone think that some of the other movies that scare us are? Does Jason truly walk around, gutting people in real life? The closer to reality it gets, the scarier it seems to be.
Karyk's Avatar Karyk 12:14 PM 01-26-2006
Quote:

closer to reality it gets, the scarier it seems to be.

[hijack] Which explains why no one has ever described as scary, the movie Fahrenheit 911. [/hijack]
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 01:15 PM 01-26-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by launche View Post

Thanks alot khellandros66, that picture made my heart jump as I'm in a dark room at about 2am in the morning. You *&%$)*.

remember those pics are the subliminal ones, not actually seen in most later cuts of the exorcist. if you saw the first theatrical cut it was in that one and the later version youve never seen. it seems that shot resonates evil to this day....
speeeedy's Avatar speeeedy 01:24 PM 01-26-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownShadow View Post

You guys are gonna laugh your heads off but for me it was the original Blair Witch! But you definitely had to be in the right mind set to find that spooky. I heard nothing about this movie until the day it hit theaters. And I totally fell for that "this is real footage" crap that was hyped. Everything happened within an hour or so... I found out about the movie... saw the trailer... believed the footage was real... headed to the theater... and was SCARED STIFF! I have to admit I was never so creeped out in my life. In fact, my wife even wanted to sleep with the lights on that night and I didn't complain!

Of course, when I found out it was all a hoax the "magic" vanished and now I just consider it a crappy movie like everyone else. Needless to say I didn't bother watching the sequel ;-) But in my original mindset that movie scared the crap out of me.

i did the same thing. i watched that movie with my jaw in my lap. another movie that freaked me out was saw.
NMAS's Avatar NMAS 01:37 PM 01-26-2006
Picnic at hanging Rock. Check it out.
alpha21's Avatar alpha21 02:10 PM 01-26-2006
Quote:

I agree with the fact that Blair Witch loses some of its impact when you know it's not real, but does anyone think that some of the other movies that scare us are? Does Jason truly walk around, gutting people in real life? The closer to reality it gets, the scarier it seems to be.

Although I agree with you. I knew going into it, that it was not real - and I saw it opening night, limited release (only 1 theater in our state showed it), midnight showing. I STILL had chills throughout the entire film, and the last scene felt like someone poured a bucket of water on me, when I realized what was going on (which I believe many people didn't/still don't).

BWP is a film that if you completely engross yourself into it, it is much more engaging. To be honest, nomatter how it was marketed, how can anybody believe that it was actually real?

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
The idea of walking in one direction, and ending up in the same place, is simply horrifying!!!!!!

talbain's Avatar talbain 02:49 PM 01-26-2006
it's still jaws for me, followed by the amityville horror
akSun's Avatar akSun 03:09 PM 01-26-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMAS View Post

Picnic at hanging Rock. Check it out.

great movie !
PooperScooper's Avatar PooperScooper 03:54 PM 01-26-2006
I've never seen Picnic at Hanging Rock. I'll have to check it out.

larry
squonk's Avatar squonk 04:02 PM 01-26-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha21 View Post

Although I agree with you. I knew going into it, that it was not real - and I saw it opening night, limited release (only 1 theater in our state showed it), midnight showing. I STILL had chills throughout the entire film, and the last scene felt like someone poured a bucket of water on me, when I realized what was going on (which I believe many people didn't/still don't).

BWP is a film that if you completely engross yourself into it, it is much more engaging. To be honest, nomatter how it was marketed, how can anybody believe that it was actually real?

Spoiler  
The idea of walking in one direction, and ending up in the same place, is simply horrifying!!!!!!

Who thought the movie was real? All I heard about it was that it was a low budget movie shot on video that will scare your pants off. If you accept it for what it was, it worked, especially the last few minutes. I didn't think it was "real" when I watched it, and it did the trick for me. Those who criticize it because they thought they were watching something like a real documentary are just duping themselves.
gaffo's Avatar gaffo 06:22 PM 01-26-2006
No Exorcist III mentioned?

It is creeper than Exorcist I - and that is saying alot.

Not only was that face one of a women in the original, but the voice of Satan was Mecedes McCambridge (an old-time radio actress - died only last yr).

I don't know who did the voice for Satan in Exorcist III, but it was equally androgenous/creepy. and Brad Dourif is awesome in this one.

Don't bother with either Excorist 4's they are total turds.
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 08:45 PM 01-26-2006
there can be only one.....

gaffo's Avatar gaffo 09:44 PM 01-26-2006
lol,

don't you just hate that dreaded "bed-head"

;-)
almostgoth's Avatar almostgoth 01:59 PM 01-27-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffo View Post

No Exorcist III mentioned?

It is creeper than Exorcist I - and that is saying alot.

Not only was that face one of a women in the original, but the voice of Satan was Mecedes McCambridge (an old-time radio actress - died only last yr).

I don't know who did the voice for Satan in Exorcist III, but it was equally androgenous/creepy. and Brad Dourif is awesome in this one.

Don't bother with either Excorist 4's they are total turds.

there's that scene in Exorcist 3 where a nurse is attacked by that figure in white. When I saw it in the theatre I think the audience collectively produced a poo brick, and skipped a heart beat. I think it had alot to do with the audio in that scene.
squonk's Avatar squonk 02:12 PM 01-27-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostgoth View Post

there's that scene in Exorcist 3 where a nurse is attacked by that figure in white. When I saw it in the theatre I think the audience collectively produced a poo brick, and skipped a heart beat. I think it had alot to do with the audio in that scene.

Curious almostgoth--what does it take to be fullygoth?
almostgoth's Avatar almostgoth 04:11 PM 01-27-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonk View Post

Curious almostgoth--what does it take to be fullygoth?

Paler skin :P
spyder696969's Avatar spyder696969 07:10 PM 01-27-2006
And a lot worse attiitude. I was goth once, but went on vacation to Hawaii and my tan made me lose all credibility.
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop