What's the SCARIEST movie YOU have ever seen? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 422 Old 02-20-2006, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 123
scritch, scritch, scritch on your window!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 422 Old 02-25-2006, 02:07 AM

Liked: 10
Children of the Corn. I can handle blood and gut slasher flicks. But nothing gives me the willies like a movie about Satan or Satan Possession. I remember when the Exorcist was released, to this day I still refuse to watch it. The Omen Trilogy, the only one I was able to watch all the way through was "The Omen III - The Final Conflict". I didn't sleep for a month. It gives me the creeps just thinking about it.

I am the Night Rider! I'm a fuel injected suicide machine! -- Night Rider from Mad Max

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #183 of 422 Old 02-25-2006, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Wait Until Dark with Audrey Hepburn. If you can sit in your seat when the dude jumps out and grabs her by the ankle, you are on valium!

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #184 of 422 Old 02-25-2006, 07:14 AM

A french film called "Irreversible". A unique film that is played from the ending first in reverse and finishes with the begining. Yes I know it sounds bizzare, I bet you wil not have seen anything like this. WARNING it does contain a very violent and prolonged sexual attack, and I personaly found it so disturbing have only watched it once, also wouldnt recommend any females watching..You have been warned.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

why do we fall down, sir? so we may learn how to get up.
post #185 of 422 Old 02-25-2006, 07:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastedAudiolab View Post

Children of the Corn. I can handle blood and gut slasher flicks. But nothing gives me the willies like a movie about Satan or Satan Possession. I remember when the Exorcist was released, to this day I still refuse to watch it. The Omen Trilogy, the only one I was able to watch all the way through was "The Omen III - The Final Conflict". I didn't sleep for a month. It gives me the creeps just thinking about it.

I think you hit on something there. The scarriest or most disturbing movies for me have mostly been those involving evil kids. For example:

Village of the Damned/Children of the Damned
The Other
The Innocents
The Bad Seed
The Good Son
Pet Semetary (at least the portion with the son).

Kids are often seen as innocent, so to see them in an evil form has so much more impact than the same thing with an adult. That's why "Godsend" was such a disappointment for me. What could have been downright frightening was an aweful mess with no clear goal as to how it would end (note, they shot close to 6 endings on that dreadful project and none of them were good).

post #186 of 422 Old 02-25-2006, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbowler579 View Post

A french film called "Irreversible". A unique film that is played from the ending first in reverse and finishes with the begining. Yes I know it sounds bizzare.

Not that bizzare. Ever seen Momento?
post #187 of 422 Old 02-25-2006, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

I think you hit on something there. The scarriest or most disturbing movies for me have mostly been those involving evil kids. For example:

Village of the Damned/Children of the Damned
The Other
The Innocents
The Bad Seed
The Good Son
Pet Semetary (at least the portion with the son).

Kids are often seen as innocent, so to see them in an evil form has so much more impact than the same thing with an adult. That's why "Godsend" was such a disappointment for me. What could have been downright frightening was an aweful mess with no clear goal as to how it would end (note, they shot close to 6 endings on that dreadful project and none of them were good).

I didn't realize my post involved movies about "Evil Children" until you mentioned it. LOL I was looking at them strictly from the Satanic point of view. But yes you are right, there is something about an evil or possessed kid that just seems to have more impact than an evil adult. The Shining is another one that comes to mind.

I am the Night Rider! I'm a fuel injected suicide machine! -- Night Rider from Mad Max

post #188 of 422 Old 02-25-2006, 11:27 PM

I'd have to say The Thing is pretty good.

Alien isn't bad. Aliens is good too. Leviathan is ok as well.
post #189 of 422 Old 02-26-2006, 09:36 PM

Two little gems not yet mentioned...

The Changeling (1980) - unquestionably the most frightening, chill-down-the-spine, hair-stand-on-end, hide-under-blankets movie I have ever seen. One memorable scene involves a creeeepy rubber ball........o h m y g a w d!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080516/

Black Sabbath (1963) - Or Tre volti della paura, an Itilian movie involving 3 short stories hosted by Boris Karloff. The first story called A Drop of Water, I was about 6 when I saw this and it effectively screwed me up for the rest of my life.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057603/

You must see these!

Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.
post #190 of 422 Old 02-26-2006, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 View Post

Not that bizzare. Ever seen Momento?

...or the Seinfeld episode The Wedding?
post #191 of 422 Old 02-27-2006, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorwest View Post

The Changeling (1980) - unquestionably the most frightening, chill-down-the-spine, hair-stand-on-end, hide-under-blankets movie I have ever seen. One memorable scene involves a creeeepy rubber ball........o h m y g a w d!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080516/

You must see these!

You are correct! The Changeling is super creepy and has some excellent chilling moments. Hard to explain without spoiling the movie. Good story and acting too.

It scared my wife to death!
post #192 of 422 Old 02-28-2006, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post

"The Entity". Based on a true story. Nuff said.

Agreed.

post #193 of 422 Old 02-28-2006, 11:01 AM

Audition, The Hills Have Eyes, and House of a Thousand Corpses by Rob Zombie. Not the scarriest movies, but I felt like I had to take a shower after watching them. Very disturbing.
post #194 of 422 Old 02-28-2006, 11:31 AM

What about The Attack of The Killer Tomatoes?

nah! ok I'm joking
post #195 of 422 Old 02-28-2006, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by smileydrug View Post

Audition, The Hills Have Eyes, and House of a Thousand Corpses by Rob Zombie. Not the scarriest movies, but I felt like I had to take a shower after watching them. Very disturbing.

I kind of felt that way myself about those.

post #196 of 422 Old 02-28-2006, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Just so long as it wasn't a cold shower you had to take, we're probably all OK.
post #197 of 422 Old 02-28-2006, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

I just watched a 2001 Japanese movie called Pulse. Definitely one of the most creepy movies I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot. The pace is slow, but it's so creepy I kept looking over my shoulder. This is one to watch alone in a dark room late at night.
post #198 of 422 Old 02-28-2006, 06:48 PM

Another vote for American Werewolf in London. Exorcist was a close second. Fake IDed my way into that one. Felt good about that until about 15 minutes into the move . Blair Witch did nothing for me. The only thing that kept me watching was hoping the obnoxious girl would get killed quick.
post #199 of 422 Old 03-01-2006, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Phantasm...the original. But I must admit that I was 14 at the time.
post #200 of 422 Old 03-01-2006, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Curious to know what is the scariest movie YOU have ever seen and why.

Scariest: Natural Child Birth on PBS.
Why: self explanatory.

-T
post #201 of 422 Old 03-01-2006, 02:02 PM

Childbirth once seen, an image you will never forget, LOL

How the hell am I supposed to learn anything with all this yackin' going on.
post #202 of 422 Old 03-01-2006, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

-Exorcist (esp. earlier scene when they first investigate the rustling sound in the attic, mainly because it looks like everyones' house)
-Halloween (he doesn't even need to run)
-Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Donald Sutherland version)
-Amityville Horror (refuse to finish it)
-Blairwitch (last scene)
post #203 of 422 Old 03-01-2006, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbu2c5 View Post

I would have to say the most scared I have ever been in a movie was when Jason came out of the water and grabbed the girl in the boat in the original Friday the 13th movie. I literally felt all the blood drain from my face and for a moment thought I would pass out. The movie makers really set us up on that one, all in all it was a really scary movie. As an 8 or 9 year old and watching an afternoon movie called Black Sabbath, a trilogy of stories, the "Drop of Water " story was the most scared and creeped out I had ever felt watching a movie, that one still gives me chills. I love scary movies, but my girlfriend will have no part of them.

I was beginning to wonder if I was gonna make it to the end of the thread before someone mentioned Friday the 13th. I saw it on the original realease of Friday the 13th (I believe it was Oct. of 1979) & I had bunkbeads at that time. My mother still has the pictures of me sleeping on the floor (with my Superman blanket) the room lights, my closet light & Tv on & my dog sleeping on my bed. I did that for like two months. LOL!

carry on with your HD-Lite Directv loving banter! <--Comedy Gold

post #204 of 422 Old 03-02-2006, 06:33 AM

"Jacob's Ladder"
post #205 of 422 Old 03-02-2006, 09:19 AM

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo2004 View Post

"Jacob's Ladder"

The "bobblehead" shot did kinda freak me out.
post #206 of 422 Old 03-06-2006, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownShadow View Post

You guys are gonna laugh your heads off but for me it was the original Blair Witch! But you definitely had to be in the right mind set to find that spooky. I heard nothing about this movie until the day it hit theaters. And I totally fell for that "this is real footage" crap that was hyped. Everything happened within an hour or so... I found out about the movie... saw the trailer... believed the footage was real... headed to the theater... and was SCARED STIFF! I have to admit I was never so creeped out in my life. In fact, my wife even wanted to sleep with the lights on that night and I didn't complain!

Of course, when I found out it was all a hoax the "magic" vanished and now I just consider it a crappy movie like everyone else. Needless to say I didn't bother watching the sequel ;-) But in my original mindset that movie scared the crap out of me.

Totally agree, I saw it too with some friends the day it came out and we all thought it was real going into it. When you watched that in a dark theatre with all the surround sound and you "knew" it was real, it just really got to me at that moment. Kudos to the makers for the great idea, I used to play alone in the woods as a kid and now at 30 I won't go near them even though I know it was all fake .... just like Jaws, I don't go past my chins!

Thanks Hollywood for making me neurotic

Those are true scary movies. none of this jumping out at you b.s., but things that truly haunt you for the next month because you think it could really happen... let's just all pray that Dawn of the Dead stays a movie, I still think about that one.

What's 50", black and has all the ladie's talking?
My brand new 50" Panny 8UK BABY!
post #207 of 422 Old 03-06-2006, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by business-spice View Post

.... just like Jaws, I don't go past my chins!

... let's just all pray that Dawn of the Dead stays a movie, I still think about that one.

How many chins do you have?

Actually, if something like Dawn of the Dead ever happens, at least you'd get to blow away any and all the people you didn't like when they were alive and never get prosecuted for it! Come to think of it, you could just pretty much kill them even if they hadn't turned into zombies yet and get away with it...just claim they were "dead-ish" when you shot them.
post #208 of 422 Old 03-06-2006, 06:45 PM

Quote:

How many chins do you have?

Actually I have 2 since I have been eating alot this winter and spending too much time on AVS forum.

Give me any movie coming true just don't give me that one (Dawn of the Dead) whew! It's scary when you do the research into things like Armageddon, Revelations, and google 2012, check out all the stuff there including ancient Calendars and the Egyptian Pyramid built to predict the future. If somoene can forget that this movie is fiction and really indulge themselves in it while watching it, it makes you realize how petty things like buying that new BMW or hot tub or 50" Panny 8uk plasma can really be. Imagine never being able to go to sleep ever again.

I just wet myself .... again.

What's 50", black and has all the ladie's talking?
My brand new 50" Panny 8UK BABY!
post #209 of 422 Old 03-07-2006, 12:27 PM

At 30 years old I've just watched my scariest movie ever. The exorcism of Emily Rose.
Man that freaked me out. I haven't been that freaked out since I was a young teenager.
Honorable mention to "In the Mouth of Madness".

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.Â
post #210 of 422 Old 03-07-2006, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Gotta say... The Exorcist.

I saw this when it first came out, in the best of circumstances. I was 18, my sister was 16. She managed to get in to see it with her boyfriend (who was 18 and a good friend of mine...until he started to date my sister, but I digress). They came home about an hour nad a half after leaving saying they couldn't sit through the whole movie. My sister had nightmares for a week! All her boyfriend could talk about was "the CROSS...Oh my GOD THE CROSS."

I HAD to see it. Then about week later, we had a snow day from school. By afternoon the roads were clear and my mother, of all people, says, "Let's go to the movies. You drive, I'll buy." She didn't have a license. So of course I'm in. We go to one of those old style theaters. One screen, balcony, big red velvet curtain. We go in and the place is packed, and just buzzing. Then the lights go down, and the curtain opens to that black screen, the creepy theme starts and then the big red letters... "the Exorcist." No commercials, no comming attractions, nothing. Just the movie starting. I clearly remember the anticipation, thinking, "come on baby, SCARE me!" I was not disappointed.

I thought the worst of it was when they were doing all of that stuff to her in the hospital. Sticking the thing in her neck and the blood spurting out. MAN! That stuff really happens.

Anyway, a year later I'm at college in a little town and the Exorcist FINALLY comes to town. All these kids that hadn't seen it wanted to go. So we go and they're showing comming attractions of BLAZING SADDLES. Talk about killing the mood.

Then, a few years after that, I'm teaching at a private boarding school, and I have to live in a dorm with a bunch a 14/15/16 yr old boys. The Exorcist was comming on TV and they all wanted to watch, but they weren't allowed TVs in their rooms, so I said, OK. BUT...all homework has to be done beforehand, once it starts nobody leaves until commercial break, and no screwing around. I started out with about 10 kids, and in an hour was down to two!

I gotta go with this one.

Tom

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page