What's the SCARIEST movie YOU have ever seen? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 422 Old 01-23-2006, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Curious to know what is the scariest movie YOU have ever seen and why.

NOT THE SCARIEST MOVIE EVER!!!

I don't want to see endless diatribes, rants, and arguments, so I worded it specifically this way.

What IS scary? Something that gave you nightmares or just scared the bejeezus out of you.

My picks:

Nightmare on Elm Street -->Saw it when I was just 14, new idea for death.
Terminator 2 -->The nuclear (not nuk-qular) holocaust still comes back in dreams sometimes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 422 Old 01-23-2006, 07:49 PM

Liked: 10
SCARFACE: The scene with the chainsaw in the bathroom.....$hit it freak me out.....you don't see the the guy get cut up, but just put your self in that guys shoes. Seeing your friend get cut up right next to you, and knowing your next! Not only scary but a all time classic.

"I AM WE TODD IT....I AM SOFA KING WE TODD IT." -Albert Einstein
post #3 of 422 Old 01-23-2006, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

The Exorcist. I was 18 at the time and thought nothing could scare me. I'm not even a religious person, yet I couldn't sleep that night and every time I looked at the ceiling, I could see new cracks appearing. It took me months to feel comfortable sleeping at night.
post #4 of 422 Old 01-23-2006, 07:57 PM

EVIL DEAD scared the piss out of me when I was little. For pure horror tension though I have to say HALLOWEEN.
post #5 of 422 Old 01-23-2006, 08:03 PM

Liked: 12
Original Halloween by far! Geatest scary movie ever. J.H.
post #6 of 422 Old 01-23-2006, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
It's too tough for me to choose, but it's definitely one of these four (maybe a four way tie.):

Halloween (the music for this use to really freak me out)
A Nightmare on Elm St.
Candyman
Pet Semetary
post #7 of 422 Old 01-23-2006, 08:22 PM

The Exorcist - I was around 15 at the time and it affected for a good month or two... felt uncomfortable in my house because I no longer felt safe.

-- Tom --

My HT
post #8 of 422 Old 01-23-2006, 08:29 PM

E.T. - The Extra Terrestrial

I was way too young to have seen this, my parents are idiots. It scared the living hell out of me, the ugly rotten looking thing with its glowing heart almost falling out of its chest all the time - still gives me shivers to think of how I felt when it screamed!

I had a closet filled with stuffed animals and after that movie I could never sleep near it again, open or shut. Had to get rid of all my animals and move the damn bed. That movie terrified me.
post #9 of 422 Old 01-23-2006, 09:16 PM

Liked: 90
Robert Wise's "The Haunting" is a film that scared the HELL out of me when I was a kid. The subtilties and reality of mental unbalance were portrayed in an everyday, real fashion.
See this film in a completely dark room (except for the TV, of course), all alone. The new version can't touch this one for real terror. And Claire Bloom's Theo is sexier than Catherine Zeta-Jones' Theo. And I think Catherine Zeta-Jones is very sexy.

Other than this film the scariest moment for me was when I was very little and home alone watching Twilight Zone's "Nightmare at 20,000 feet" (first-run). When William Shatner pulled back the airliner's window curtain to reveal that really god-awful, grotesque face planted against the window I thought I was going to s**t. I was probably about 11 years old and I was frozen with fear. That was a scary moment.
post #10 of 422 Old 01-23-2006, 09:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
After seeing Jaws 30 years years ago...I still refuse to swim in the ocean or go too far out in a boat.

I will snorkel in shallow protected areas. Although, I always keep an eye open... just in case.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #11 of 422 Old 01-23-2006, 09:40 PM

Two movies:
1) The Exorcist - I saw it when I was around seven, and I still remember waking up with nightmares

2) High Tension - Very well made French move by Lion's Gate Films
post #12 of 422 Old 01-23-2006, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I think when I was around 7 or 8 I saw a movie with my dad called "Grizzly", I was so freaked out we had to leave part way through.

Also Nightmare in Elm St was the only movie to give me nightmares... damn you Freddie!
post #13 of 422 Old 01-23-2006, 10:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
"Trilogy of Terror" with Karen Black (Part III - "Amelia").
post #14 of 422 Old 01-23-2006, 10:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

"The Hitcher" - with Rutger Hauer, C. Thomas Howell and Jennifer Jason Leigh.
post #15 of 422 Old 01-23-2006, 10:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

"The Night Gallery" pilot - 3 shorts - the episode with Roddy McDowell and Ossie Davis.
post #16 of 422 Old 01-23-2006, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

"The Hitcher" - with Rutger Hauer, C. Thomas Howell and Jennifer Jason Leigh.

Good one ....I just caught again a couple of months ago and it definitely not as good as I remember.

Scariest one for me.....Jaws.

T

username should now be "ThumperYZ69"
post #17 of 422 Old 01-24-2006, 03:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Aliens - the second movie in the series.

Once you have seen the first one and know what the Aliens can do, this movie just never stops. Everytime you think the Aliens have been defeated, they havent, and they keep coming, and you DON'T want them inside you!

The first movie was super scary too, walking thru that ship not knowing where the Alien is, they say that to heighten the effect they didnt always tell the cast exactly when the Alien would attack them or exactly where the Alien would be to get a more scared reaction.

This is one scary series, and a great blend of horror and sci-fi.

never take life seriously
post #18 of 422 Old 01-24-2006, 03:58 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I don't get scared at a movie, but the last 30 seconds of The Blair Witch Project really creeped me out.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #19 of 422 Old 01-24-2006, 04:46 AM

"The Raft" from Creepshow 2. As far as I can remember, the nightmares lasted for months, and I certainly wasn't going swimming in a lake. Not to mention a majority of the lakes in South Dakota seem to have a slime layer.
post #20 of 422 Old 01-24-2006, 05:04 AM

Seriously, the most scared I've been watching a movie was in "Pulp Fiction" when they let the gimp out of his box. It took me a few months to get over that scene and be able to watch the movie again.
post #21 of 422 Old 01-24-2006, 05:10 AM
Advanced Member

You guys are gonna laugh your heads off but for me it was the original Blair Witch! But you definitely had to be in the right mind set to find that spooky. I heard nothing about this movie until the day it hit theaters. And I totally fell for that "this is real footage" crap that was hyped. Everything happened within an hour or so... I found out about the movie... saw the trailer... believed the footage was real... headed to the theater... and was SCARED STIFF! I have to admit I was never so creeped out in my life. In fact, my wife even wanted to sleep with the lights on that night and I didn't complain!

Of course, when I found out it was all a hoax the "magic" vanished and now I just consider it a crappy movie like everyone else. Needless to say I didn't bother watching the sequel ;-) But in my original mindset that movie scared the crap out of me.
post #22 of 422 Old 01-24-2006, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
When I was younger, the scenes that messed me up the most...

The twin girls in the Shining (hallway scene)
The vampire brother scratching on the window (not the first floor) in the original Salem's Lot
The first scene of Freddy in the first Nightmare (the arm stretching across the street to scratch wall)
post #23 of 422 Old 01-24-2006, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
the original night of the living dead. i saw it at a drive in when i was like 7 or 8. I still don't care for dead people that rise from the grave. also alien was kinda scary at the time. and i thought toolbox murders was a little creepy.

My sono build

Psn Id- lvisneau or lvizzzy
Xbl- chief vizzy

post #24 of 422 Old 01-24-2006, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Of course, when I found out it was all a hoax the "magic" vanished and now I just consider it a crappy movie like everyone else.

I don't care what other people think, I thought Blair Witch was not only a really scary flick, but I also thought it was a pretty damned good movie. I tend to immerse myself in a movie and imagine what it would be like to be the characters in their environment. I can honestly say that if I were out in the woods and that stuff happened, I would be totally freaked out.

As a child I remember Salem's Lot scared the hell out of me! I wouldn't go in the basement for weeks and was timid about doing so for longer than I'd like to admit. The funny thing is I bought this a few years back to show my 13-year old step-daughter since she loves scary movies and it turned out to be so NOT scary and quite boring. I couldn't believe it. Even she said it was boring and not scary. Go figure.
post #25 of 422 Old 01-24-2006, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Oh, have to throw in a couple of alien flicks... recently Signs freaked me out. I found that very creepy. And there was an older flick that I have forgotten but it had one scene where an alien was peeking out from behind a bedroom dresser while the couple were sleeping. That image is burned into my mind to this day. Can't remember the movie, it might have been Communion?
post #26 of 422 Old 01-24-2006, 06:20 AM

The three films that scared me most as a kid was Hallowe'en, Alien and a nightmare on Elm Street.

Since then very few movies have freaked me out that much. I suppose the only film I've seen since being an adult that has made me lose sleep was the Hollywood remake of The Grudge.
post #27 of 422 Old 01-24-2006, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Miracle Mile-- little seen thriller about an impending nuclear war.
post #28 of 422 Old 01-24-2006, 06:30 AM

There was this british horror movie which always freaked me out and even now i think its very scary if watching alone late at night..... its available on a pretty decent dvd and is called Blood on Satan's Claw...... very scary creepy little film.

The Haunting ( 63 version ) another film which is scary if watching alone late at night as is the original Exorcist.

I don't find any of the slasher movies of the late seventies and early eighties scary .... not one little bit. I can't remember the last time a modern film scared me which says a lot about modern moviemaking practices which show too much and thus don't let you use your imagination..... what you don't see is much scarier than some effects work.

I do think highly of a film called The Ninth Gate..... has some creepy moments but more atmospheric than scary and i did like the re-make of The Ring.
post #29 of 422 Old 01-24-2006, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 41
"Event Horizon" -- Maybe more creepy (gets under your skin) than scary

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #30 of 422 Old 01-24-2006, 07:06 AM

I would have to say the most scared I have ever been in a movie was when Jason came out of the water and grabbed the girl in the boat in the original Friday the 13th movie. I literally felt all the blood drain from my face and for a moment thought I would pass out. The movie makers really set us up on that one, all in all it was a really scary movie. As an 8 or 9 year old and watching an afternoon movie called Black Sabbath, a trilogy of stories, the "Drop of Water " story was the most scared and creeped out I had ever felt watching a movie, that one still gives me chills. I love scary movies, but my girlfriend will have no part of them.

Homer: I'm like that guy who single-handedly built the rocket & flew to the moon. What was his name? Apollo Creed?
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page