Gentle Giant: The Missing Piece - 35th anniversary remaster
Triumvirat : Spartacus

Roxy Music marathon

Roxy Music
Stranded
Country Music
Viva
Manifesto

I knew Wetton player with Roxy Music but I didn't know Eddie Jobson did. He replaced Eno after the first album for at least the next 2 albums.

Also, this was new to me, maybe it will be for some others too. www.bandtoband.com. Family trees of bands. Pretty cool.

larry

That's where Wetton met Jobson, and how they ended up hooking up to create UK. I haven't heard from Jobson in years, I wonder what the heck he is doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 452 Old 02-03-2006, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 1051
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Also, this was new to me, maybe it will be for some others too. www.bandtoband.com. Family trees of bands. Pretty cool.

larry

thanks for the link. it's great for me to have all the canterbury bands listed in one place!

¿lɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ

post #93 of 452 Old 02-03-2006, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
James Blunts album "back to bedlam" is one of the best albums over here in the uk at the moment.

http://www.freewebs.com/sbowler579/index.htm

why do we fall down, sir? so we may learn how to get up.MY DVDs
post #94 of 452 Old 02-03-2006, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonk View Post

That's where Wetton met Jobson, and how they ended up hooking up to create UK. I haven't heard from Jobson in years, I wonder what the heck he is doing.

www.eddiejobson.com Ya gotta love the internet!

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #95 of 452 Old 02-03-2006, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

The Essential Journey - 2 CD set.

Sometimes you reach what's real by making believe.
post #96 of 452 Old 02-03-2006, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

www.eddiejobson.com Ya gotta love the internet!

larry

I could have guessed film music. I have a few of his solo albums, Zinc and Theme of Secrets, the latter being very new ageish but as I remember had some interesting instrumental pieces.

BTW, I just picked up the DVD Old Grey Whistle Test, Vol 2, which has a Roxy Music track (Do the Strand I think) and it is really interesting to watch, very out there. Jobson is on synths and Phil Manzanera has the spaciest funkiest looking glasses you've ever seen. These Old Grey Whistle Test DVDs are really fascinating archives of 70s and early 80s era rock. Highly recommended by us "popular music" types.
post #97 of 452 Old 02-03-2006, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

CDs I'm currently listening to:

Beatles--Rubber Soul
Beatles--Revolver
Beatles--Sgt Pepper
Beatles--White Album
Beatles--Abbey Road
Beatles--1962-66 (red album)
Beatles--1966-70 (blue album)

BTW, consider this--Help!, Rubber Soul and Revolver were released within 1 year of each other; Rubber Soul, Revolver and Sgt Pepper were released within a year and half of each other. Now look at the track listings for those albums--classic after classic after classic. Most bands would kill to have 2 of these songs in a lifetime.
post #98 of 452 Old 02-03-2006, 05:01 PM

Liked: 123
Squonk,

I credit you with being brilliant at debate. As stated, I think you are plenty sharp and I do enjoy your posts, for the most part. I don't necessarily think you ONLY like popular things, but I wonder why you take such offense at other's opinions of them. I certainly don't find your apparent love of Kubrick offensive, but I, or anyone else should be free to disagree. Since I do have respect for you and your opinions, among others, I make every attempt to read all posts with an open mind. Would it be too much to ask for you to do the same with others?

Just because someone has supposed talent, doesn't mean that everyone MUST adore them. Terrell Owens is undoubtedly the best receiver in the NFL today...how many like the guy or care for his game? Kobe Bryant has been elevated to superstar status, but I don't consider him to be either likeable or untouchable, nor do I admire his style of play.

Since you have elevated The Beatles to GOD status, it would be impossible to continue this any further. I will simply state that I respect your right to idolize them, and ask that you respect mine to have idols of a different nature.

No hard feelings?
post #99 of 452 Old 02-03-2006, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 View Post

Squonk,

I credit you with being brilliant at debate. As stated, I think you are plenty sharp and I do enjoy your posts, for the most part. I don't necessarily think you ONLY like popular things, but I wonder why you take such offense at other's opinions of them. I certainly don't find your apparent love of Kubrick offensive, but I, or anyone else should be free to disagree. Since I do have respect for you and your opinions, among others, I make every attempt to read all posts with an open mind. Would it be too much to ask for you to do the same with others?

Just because someone has supposed talent, doesn't mean that everyone MUST adore them. Terrell Owens is undoubtedly the best receiver in the NFL today...how many like the guy or care for his game? Kobe Bryant has been elevated to superstar status, but I don't consider him to be either likeable or untouchable, nor do I admire his style of play.

Since you have elevated The Beatles to GOD status, it would be impossible to continue this any further. I will simply state that I respect your right to idolize them, and ask that you respect mine to have idols of a different nature.

No hard feelings?

I don't take offense at people posting their opinions, but if someone says things I expect them to back them up. You certainly expected somebody to react by sticking the most acclaimed rock group of all time in a list of CDs you would NEVER listen to, side by side with such dreck as Celine Dion, Toby Kieth and the Backstreet Boys. You obviously did that for a reason and wanted to get a reaction, and you wanted to portray yourself as "anti-popular".
Some of you other statements were so over the top that I truly question whether you really believe them yourself, or are just going for a reaction. My guess is the truth lies somewhere inbetween.

In any event, as long as you acknowledge that the Beatles were gods in terms of their unparalleled influence on the history of music, you are free not to worship them. Just be prepared to answer for your sins in the afterlife.
post #100 of 452 Old 02-03-2006, 05:34 PM

Quote:

I could have guessed film music. I have a few of his solo albums, Zinc and Theme of Secrets, the latter being very new ageish but as I remember had some interesting instrumental pieces.

BTW, I just picked up the DVD Old Grey Whistle Test, Vol 2, which has a Roxy Music track (Do the Strand I think) and it is really interesting to watch, very out there. Jobson is on synths and Phil Manzanera has the spaciest funkiest looking glasses you've ever seen. These Old Grey Whistle Test DVDs are really fascinating archives of 70s and early 80s era rock. Highly recommended by us "popular music" types.

I have a Musikladen DVD with 6 Roxy Music songs from the German show. Eno is with them so it must be pretty early on. "Do the Strand" is on this one too. T-Rex tracks are on the DVD too.

larry

Edit: one of the songs does have Wetton on bass but it's not Jobson on keyboards - the guy has curly hair.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #101 of 452 Old 02-03-2006, 11:17 PM

war of the worlds album by jeff wayne.
post #102 of 452 Old 02-04-2006, 04:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
If I don't go to church, does that mean I will burn in hell?
post #103 of 452 Old 02-04-2006, 04:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Wow. You're the first person I ever knew other than myself who actually has the "Zinc" album. Was lucky to see E.J. and his acrylic violin once with Tull on the "A" tour. Eighth row - nice flashback - although Tull themselves were better when I saw them at NWU on their "Songs from the Wood" (Bursting Out) tour, when they were much more still the "old" Tull.
post #104 of 452 Old 02-04-2006, 05:54 AM

I have Zinc on vinyl, too. Been years since I listened to it (no turntable). When squonk mentioned it I put it on my "need to get CD list". I had forgot all about it.

larry

edit: Scratch that. Cheapest one used on Amazon is $80. I'm not that big of a fan...

post #105 of 452 Old 02-04-2006, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have thoroughly studied and listened to the music of The Beatles, and simply did not enjoy it for a number of reasons.

Fine - to each his own.

But to dismiss them as music for 13 year old girls is condescending to the Nth degree.

Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
post #106 of 452 Old 02-04-2006, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Squonk: nice selection in your cd player. I consider Lennon/McCartney the 2 most brilliant songwriters of their time... I am a big Beatle fan as shown by my member name but do listen to other music when I get a chance as shown in my previous "what's in your cd" post..

post #107 of 452 Old 02-04-2006, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Sasha- Involver
Underworld- A Hundred Days Off
Dandy Warhols- Odditorium
Sasha- Airdrawndagger (<----amazing)
post #108 of 452 Old 02-04-2006, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've been stuck on Beck - Sea Changes lately. He forgoes the "wacky" stuff from his previous efforts and created a brilliant but thoroughly depressing piece of work.

Cary
post #109 of 452 Old 02-04-2006, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I've been liistening to Frank McCourt - Teacher Man, a book on 9CDs. Incredible.
For my daughter, the newest Hilary Duff.
For my son, Queen's Greatest Hits.

Jim
Mow, fertilize, and properly water the grass and it will grow a nice deep green!
post #110 of 452 Old 02-04-2006, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

If I don't go to church, does that mean I will burn in hell?

I guess that's a chance you'll have to take. Why not cover all the bases, just in case?
post #111 of 452 Old 02-04-2006, 11:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run4two View Post

I've been liistening to Frank McCourt - Teacher Man, a book on 9CDs. Incredible.
For my daughter, the newest Hilary Duff.
For my son, Queen's Greatest Hits.

For me, Hilary Duff - and I don't mean the CD.
post #112 of 452 Old 02-04-2006, 11:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I guess that's a chance you'll have to take. Why not cover all the bases, just in case?

OK, mom.
post #113 of 452 Old 02-06-2006, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

OK, mom.

And don't run around with a stick in your hand. You could poke your eye out.
post #114 of 452 Old 02-12-2006, 07:20 AM

Roxy Music - "For Your Pleasure"
Roxy Music - "Siren"
Concrete Blonde - "Bloodletting"
Concrete Blonde - "Mexican Moon"
Be-Bop Deluxe - "Axe Victim"
Patrick Moraz - ""

larry

post #115 of 452 Old 02-12-2006, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Pat Travers-20th century masters
AC/DC-Powrage
Metallica-Master of Puppets
Anthrax-Among the Living
Montrose-self titled
post #116 of 452 Old 02-12-2006, 11:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 103
The whole Beatles thing is evidence of how historically challenged most people of every country and every decade are. As pointed out, The Beatles created the modern rock band almost single handedly. Before them, artists seldom wrote their own material, they just performed stuff written for them in a fairly industrial process, and they mostly did what they were told by producers.

I'm not knocking the Brill Building era, since some amazing tunes were written by those professional song writers, some of whom moved into the new era as musicians themselves. But The Beatles created the standard of rock bands writing their own material, both for good and bad. A lot of people have come after them who weren't that good at it, but it also vastly increased the range of popular music when each group began creating their own content. And, as also pointed out but it needs to be emphasized, though "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" is clearly light pop by modern standards it was seriously radical at the time.

If you did a poll among all the pop/rock musicians that you like, and ask them who were the most influential rock/pop bands of all time, I'm sure that The Beatles would come out at or near the top of almost every one of them, and it would also be the case for artists from other genres. The musicians are generally more aware of their historical influences than the people who listen to them. I've heard enough comments from musicians of every era to know that this is highly likely to be the case. You hear their tunes being used in mashups and rap music today, and you still hear bands using sounds and techniques that The Beatles popularized. How many other bands who started in the 50s get that treatment today? Who else in the 60s was doing a song where they basically screaming "Why don't we do it in the road?" They were so far ahead of everyone else it's not even funny.

They are also among the best selling AND most critically acclaimed bands of all time, which says something. If they were loved by critics but no one else, or sold like crazy but were considered fluff by serious musicians and critics, then you could claim it was just wanker music or just sellout fluff. But when they are both very high selling and considered among the top bands by serious musicians and considered probably the or one of the most influential bands in history by musicians and musicocolgists, then you have to give them the credit due. If you search the web for 'most influential artist' type of lists, you'll find that even folks who have Nirvana or Dr. Dre in their lists will often list The Beatles, with the next oldest band on the list being 4 decades later. That says something.

http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/page...ld_albums.html

They have 8 albums in that list above. A quick addition by me, possibly slightly off, indicates about 90 million albums sold just on that list, which only includes their biggest selling albums. So one would assume they sold well over 100 million albums. Oops, actually according to Wikipedia:

Quote:

By October 1972, the Beatles' worldwide sales total stood at 545 million units, a world record (Billboard 84, October 21, 1972).

EMI claims a billion sales by now worldwide, though that's been challenged according to Wikipedia. But even if it's a mere 700 or 800 million albums, and that they continue to sell very well today shows how relevant and popular they remain.

Here is a list of stats from Wikipedia, just for the US:

Most no. 1 singles in the Billboard Hot 100 charts (20 no.1s).
Most no. 1 albums in the Billboard Top 200 albums charts (19 no.1 albums).
Most weeks at no. 1 in the Billboard albums chart (132 weeks at no. 1).
Group with most weeks in the Billboard albums chart (2,184 weeks, second only to Frank Sinatra with 2,211 weeks).
Group with most weeks in the Billboard Hot 100 chart (609 weeks).
Group with most weeks at no. 1 in the Billboard Hot 100 chart (59 weeks at no. 1).
Most songs inside the Billboard Hot 100 at the same time (14 songs on April 11, 1964).
Most songs inside the Billboard Top 40 at the same time (7 songs on April 11 and 25, 1964).
Most songs in the Billboard Top 10 at the same time (5 songs on April 4, 1964).
Most songs in the Billboard Top 5 at the same time (5 songs on April 4, 1964).
Most chart entries in the Billboard Hot 100 within a calendar year (30 charted songs in 1964)
The only group to replace themselves at no. 1 in the Billboard Hot 100 twice (March 21 and April 4, 1964). It would be forty years later when Usher would tie the record.
Most complete ever domination of the Billboard Hot 100 singles and albums chart by occupying the first 5 positions in the Hot 100 as well as the first two in the albums chart simultaneously (April 4, 1964).
Most consecutive no. 1 albums in the Billboard albums chart (8 consecutive no. 1 albums from 1965 to 1968).
Most consecutive top 5 albums in the Billboard albums chart (16 consecutive top 5 albums from 1965 to 1977).
Group with the longest span of no. 1 albums in the Billboard albums chart (36 years and 51 weeks, 1964 to 2001).
Group with most consecutive no. 1 hits in the Billboard Hot 100 (6 consecutive no. 1 hits, record shared with the Bee Gees).
Most no. 1 albums in the Billboard albums chart in a calendar year (3 no. 1 albums in 1964, repeated in 1965 and 1966).
Most no. 1 singles in the Billboard Hot 100 in a calendar year (6 no. 1 singles in 1964)
The only act to have held the no. 1 and no. 2 position in the Billboard albums chart for 9 straight weeks on two separate occasions (March 2 to April 27 and August 29 to October 24, 1964).
Most top 3 albums in the Billboard albums chart (27 top 3 albums).
Most transatlantic no. 1 hit singles (12 songs reached no. 1 in both the U.S. and Britain).
Group with most consecutive top 5 hits in the Billboard Hot 100 chart (17 consecutive top 5 hits from 1964 to 1969).
Group with most consecutive top 10 hits in the Billboard Hot 100 chart (24 consecutive top 10 hits from 1964 to 1976).
Group with most consecutive top 20 hits in the Billboard Hot 100 chart (27 consecutive top 20 hits from 1964 to 1976).
On April 4, 1964, the Beatles occupied the first 5 positions in the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart, the top 2 in the Billboard albums chart, the no. 1 position in the British singles chart, the first two positions in the British albums chart and the no. 1 position in the British EP chart, making this the most complete ever domination of the British and American charts in history.
Most no. 1 singles in the Cash Box Top 100 charts (22 no.1s).
Most no. 1 albums in the Cash Box albums charts (15 no.1 albums).
Most weeks at no. 1 in the Cash Box albums chart (127 weeks at no. 1).
Group with most weeks in the Cash Box albums chart (722 weeks up to 1974).
Group with most weeks in the Cash Box singles chart (601 weeks up to 1986).
Group with most weeks in the Record World albums chart (849 weeks up to 1982).
Group with most weeks in the Record World singles chart (520 weeks up to 1980).
Most no. 1 singles in the Record World Top 100 charts (23 no.1s).
Most no. 1 albums in the Record World albums charts (17 no.1 albums).
Most weeks at no. 1 in the Record World albums chart (123 weeks at no. 1).

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #117 of 452 Old 02-12-2006, 11:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 103
BTW, I would like to make it clear that I'm not some 'lost in the fuzzy past' type old timer here. I love modern pop/rock and listen to it all the time, despite being 42. I love System of a Down and Tool and My Chemical Romance and other popular stuff today, and loved the whole grunge era and whatnot. But I appreciate the best of most eras and genres, and The Beatles, next to Elvis, did the most to create an entire genre of music and an entire style that is still emulated today.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #118 of 452 Old 02-12-2006, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Now you guys are gonna laugh at this, but dont forget the Beach Boys too when you are talking about the Beatles and developing rock and certain sounds.

Yes, the Beatles were the best ever, but Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys were putting out music and harmonics way way advanced for their era, and when they came out with Pet Sounds, even the Beatles were blown away by that album, and for awhile they had a rivalry to see who could make the best albums, albums that were solid from start to finish, not just albums with a couple of good songs.

I think the past and present can be appreciated. I am 57 years old, yet i like a ton of the modern music from Hoobastank to Emenem to Nelly to Christine Aquilera to Black Eyed Peas (love Fergies humps and bumps there!) etc. However, i still can always listen to the Beatles or Beach Boys and love them too. I recently saw Paul McCartney on tour in Miami, and he was spectacular. And dont forget, he wrote a ton of the songs that were credited to John Lennon and him by himself, but thats meaningless, its the great talent they all had that still sounds good today.

never take life seriously
post #119 of 452 Old 02-12-2006, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post

The whole Beatles thing is evidence of how historically challenged most people of every country and every decade are. As pointed out, The Beatles created the modern rock band almost single handedly. Before them, artists seldom wrote their own material, they just performed stuff written by them in a fairly industrial process, and they mostly did what they were told by producers.

I'm not knocking the Brill Building era, since some amazing tunes were written by those professional song writers, some of whom moved into the new era as musicians themselves. But The Beatles created the standard of rock bands writing their own material, both for good and bad. A lot of people have come after them who weren't that good at it, but it also vastly increased the range of popular music when each group began creating their own content. And, as also pointed out but it needs to be emphasized, though "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" is clearly light pop by modern standards it was seriously radical at the time.

If you did a poll among all the pop/rock musicians that you like, and ask them who were the most influential rock/pop bands of all time, I'm sure that The Beatles would come out at or near the top of almost every one of them, and it would also be the case for artists from other genres. The musicians are generally more aware of their historical influences than the people who listen to them. I've heard enough comments from musicians of every era to know that this is highly likely to be the case. You hear their tunes being used in mashups and rap music today, and you still hear bands using sounds and techniques that The Beatles popularized. How many other bands who started in the 50s get that treatment today? Who else in the 60s was doing a song where they basically screaming "Why don't we do it in the road?" They were so far ahead of everyone else it's not even funny.

They are also among the best selling AND most critically acclaimed bands of all time, which says something. If they were loved by critics but no one else, or sold like crazy but were considered fluff by serious musicians and critics, then you could claim it was just wanker music or just sellout fluff. But when they are both very high selling and considered among the top bands by serious musicians and considered probably the or one of the most influential bands in history by musicians and musicocolgists, then you have to give them the credit due. If you search the web for 'most influential artist' type of lists, you'll find that even folks who have Nirvana or Dr. Dre in their lists will often list The Beatles, with the next oldest band on the list being 4 decades later. That says something.

http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/page...ld_albums.html

They have 8 albums in that list above. A quick addition by me, possibly slightly off, indicates about 90 million albums sold just on that list, which only includes their biggest selling albums. So one would assume they sold well over 100 million albums. Oops, actually according to Wikipedia:

EMI claims a billion sales by now worldwide, though that's been challenged according to Wikipedia. But even if it's a mere 700 or 800 million albums, and that they continue to sell very well today shows how relevant and popular they remain.

Here is a list of stats from Wikipedia, just for the US:

Most no. 1 singles in the Billboard Hot 100 charts (20 no.1s).
Most no. 1 albums in the Billboard Top 200 albums charts (19 no.1 albums).
Most weeks at no. 1 in the Billboard albums chart (132 weeks at no. 1).
Group with most weeks in the Billboard albums chart (2,184 weeks, second only to Frank Sinatra with 2,211 weeks).
Group with most weeks in the Billboard Hot 100 chart (609 weeks).
Group with most weeks at no. 1 in the Billboard Hot 100 chart (59 weeks at no. 1).
Most songs inside the Billboard Hot 100 at the same time (14 songs on April 11, 1964).
Most songs inside the Billboard Top 40 at the same time (7 songs on April 11 and 25, 1964).
Most songs in the Billboard Top 10 at the same time (5 songs on April 4, 1964).
Most songs in the Billboard Top 5 at the same time (5 songs on April 4, 1964).
Most chart entries in the Billboard Hot 100 within a calendar year (30 charted songs in 1964)
The only group to replace themselves at no. 1 in the Billboard Hot 100 twice (March 21 and April 4, 1964). It would be forty years later when Usher would tie the record.
Most complete ever domination of the Billboard Hot 100 singles and albums chart by occupying the first 5 positions in the Hot 100 as well as the first two in the albums chart simultaneously (April 4, 1964).
Most consecutive no. 1 albums in the Billboard albums chart (8 consecutive no. 1 albums from 1965 to 1968).
Most consecutive top 5 albums in the Billboard albums chart (16 consecutive top 5 albums from 1965 to 1977).
Group with the longest span of no. 1 albums in the Billboard albums chart (36 years and 51 weeks, 1964 to 2001).
Group with most consecutive no. 1 hits in the Billboard Hot 100 (6 consecutive no. 1 hits, record shared with the Bee Gees).
Most no. 1 albums in the Billboard albums chart in a calendar year (3 no. 1 albums in 1964, repeated in 1965 and 1966).
Most no. 1 singles in the Billboard Hot 100 in a calendar year (6 no. 1 singles in 1964)
The only act to have held the no. 1 and no. 2 position in the Billboard albums chart for 9 straight weeks on two separate occasions (March 2 to April 27 and August 29 to October 24, 1964).
Most top 3 albums in the Billboard albums chart (27 top 3 albums).
Most transatlantic no. 1 hit singles (12 songs reached no. 1 in both the U.S. and Britain).
Group with most consecutive top 5 hits in the Billboard Hot 100 chart (17 consecutive top 5 hits from 1964 to 1969).
Group with most consecutive top 10 hits in the Billboard Hot 100 chart (24 consecutive top 10 hits from 1964 to 1976).
Group with most consecutive top 20 hits in the Billboard Hot 100 chart (27 consecutive top 20 hits from 1964 to 1976).
On April 4, 1964, the Beatles occupied the first 5 positions in the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart, the top 2 in the Billboard albums chart, the no. 1 position in the British singles chart, the first two positions in the British albums chart and the no. 1 position in the British EP chart, making this the most complete ever domination of the British and American charts in history.
Most no. 1 singles in the Cash Box Top 100 charts (22 no.1s).
Most no. 1 albums in the Cash Box albums charts (15 no.1 albums).
Most weeks at no. 1 in the Cash Box albums chart (127 weeks at no. 1).
Group with most weeks in the Cash Box albums chart (722 weeks up to 1974).
Group with most weeks in the Cash Box singles chart (601 weeks up to 1986).
Group with most weeks in the Record World albums chart (849 weeks up to 1982).
Group with most weeks in the Record World singles chart (520 weeks up to 1980).
Most no. 1 singles in the Record World Top 100 charts (23 no.1s).
Most no. 1 albums in the Record World albums charts (17 no.1 albums).
Most weeks at no. 1 in the Record World albums chart (123 weeks at no. 1).

You and I are on the same page on this Dean, but the problem in convincing someone who is absolutely determined, no matter what the evidence, no matter how good the quality, no matter how influential among a myriad of critics and artists, that they won't like something that is "popular" is that the exercise is virtually fruitless. Someone who says they will NEVER listen to the Beatles is making more of a fashion statement than expressing a musical opinion--the idea is to be seen as going against the grain and being avant garde, a rebel. The sad thing is, by taking such an extreme position, that person simply misses out on some of the best music of the 20th century. I can't imagine NOT listening to it from time to time--for many it is a soundtrack for our lives.
You are right though that for someone to take that extreme of a position, there has to be a lack of historical understanding of the musicology of the Beatles. Some of that may be due to age, but it is incumbent on the younger to understand and appreciate what came before them. Even the most jaded cynics about popular rock music and many seminal punk artists acknowledge the influence of their incredible artistry. Part of that is timing and luck. The Beatles came of age by happenstance in a time of incredible social change and upheaval, and at a time of a whole new freedom in writing and creating music. I can't think of any other single band that had such a profound effect and influence on social culture. You didn't even mention the fact that until Sinatra, and then the Beatles, people did not think in terms of 'albums' being a unified work as a whole--they were just a collection of singles. Heck until the Beatles came along, people did not buy albums, they bought singles.

You make a good point about popularity and critical acclaim. Record sales without critical acclaim can simply mean you were the flavor of the day, a passing trend. Critical acclaim, influence among artists spanning generations, with record sales spanning generations represent a level not many can attain.

In terms of elevating pop music truly to an art form, with influences on social culture, literature, art, politics, I would go beyond your statement and place The Beatles and Bob Dylan as the most influential musical artists of the last half century, even well above Elvis. While you have to give Elvis credit for taking black rhythm and blues and anglosizing it for white America, and of course in the process influencing the Beatles themselves, in terms of songcraft, writing and musical progression, I would argue that Elvis takes a back seat to them.
post #120 of 452 Old 02-12-2006, 08:16 PM

The best of the Talking Heads

Rush R30
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page