What CDs are in your player recently? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 452 Old 01-26-2006, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a fairly long drive to and from work, so I do a lot of my music listening in my car. I am constantly rotating CDs to listen to depending on what I am interested in at the time. So, what's in your CD player (home or car) that we all might be interested in hearing? Maybe we can make this an ongoing thread with constant music updates for further exploration.

Some of my recent CDs on the playlist:

Built to Spill--Ancient Melodies of the Future (2004)

If you like good old fashioned guitar rock, which seems to be a dying art these days, this band from Idaho of all places kicks tail. Doug Martsch is a versatile and accomplished guitarist with clear influences coming from the Neil Young and Crazy Horse school of distorted feedback, filtered through the punk/indie prism of groups like Sonic Youth.(To give you some idea, they have a 17 minute long version of Cortez the Killer on their live album). But this is melodic crunching rock with a classic feel. Trimmed and Burning is that kind of heavy guitar anthem that you used to hear and sounds both modern and classic at the same time. In Your Mind is another great tune with strumming acoustic guitars mixed with heavy guitar licks. This band should be more well known. Love the title too--the music of today are the Ancient Melodies of the Future.

King Black Acid and the Starseed Transmission--Loves a Long Song (2000)

I love this album. Remember when you listened to an album from start to finish and ALL the songs were good--you just didn't download one tune from an album? This is great stuff from start to finish. Trippy, psychedelic, hypnotic power pop from this little known band from Portland, Oregon. This is psychedelic progressive pop, somewhat similar to England's Porcupine Tree. Again, its guitar oriented, with melodic catchy hooks that sound like you're hearing a classic pop tune, but the songs stretch out to 7,8,9 minute jams with swirling and gurgling synthesizers that percolate below the surface, and pretty soon you are only faintly aware you're listening to the same tune. Great husky lead vocals from singer.writer, and guitartist Daniel Riddle that have a yearning quality to them. Some of these tunes could have been alternative radio hits if marketed properly, like I've Heard You're Still Alive and Butterfly Bomber. Apparantly this band was well known for extended hypnotic trance inducing live shows in the Portland area. They also did about 8 songs for the movie soundtrack to The Mothman Prophecies, very haunting creepy sounding stuff. This is the kind of album that will have you playing it over and over once you hear it, I guarantee it.

REM--Monster (1994)

I recently got the remastered extended version of this classic album. Early REM fans may not like this, but I think this is their most interesting album. Heavy guitar that is distorted and trippy (see a theme here?) but melodic and rhythmic. REM took more chances with this album as they went away from the safety of jangly pop tunes like The One I Love. A whole slew of interesting, almost psychedelic tunes--What's the Frequency Kenneth, I Took Your Name, Crush with Eyeliner, Star 69; contrasted with more traditional REM tunes like the beautiful Strange Currencies and Bang and Blame. REM's heaviest record. It simply flat out rocks.

Cowboy Junkies--Open (2003?)

Keeping the theme somewhat consistent, another band that is influenced by both the grungemaster Neil Young and by the indie rock of Velvet Undergound/Sonic Youth, but in a laid back roots rock style. Beautiful female vocals that are almost languid at times by Margot Timmins, interspersed with the extended guitar distortions of brother Micheal make some songs seem dreamy and abstract, but other tunes are more straight ahead roots rock pop. The great tune on this album for me is Dragging Hooks, which is extended when they play live into a 15 minute or so hypnotic fuzz drenched jam. Definitely not a "dance to them band", but a sit down laid back group with solid songwriting and singing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 452 Old 01-26-2006, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 697
10 years the autumn effect
audioslave
citizen cope
nirvana in utero
disturbed 10000 fists
post #3 of 452 Old 01-26-2006, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Good idea. More than once or twice recently I've thought about a "What's Hot With You This Week" wrt CDs. We used to have a "thread" like this years ago on a internal "forum" where I used to work. It was a great place to learn about new music.

1) King Crimson, "In the Court of the Crimson King" - made from original master tapes.
2) National Health, "The Complete National Health" - I forgot I had this. Only one song with Bruford. I just ordered another CD, "Missing Pieces", that supposedly has some more Bruford on it.
3) Larry Coryell, "Coryell" - IIRC it may be his first recording, it was done in 1969.
4) Gentle Giant, "Giant for a Day" - 35th anniversary remaster.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #4 of 452 Old 01-26-2006, 03:25 PM

Katatonia - "Discouraged Ones" - The group steps away from their death metal vocals and heads for the land of clean vocals. This albums can sound like a heavier version of The Cure

Banjo and Sullivan - "The Ultimate Collection 1972 - 1978" - This album was done for promotion of the Rob Zombie film "The Devil's Rejects". This album is supposedly the greatest hits by the band of the same name that was slaughtered in the movie. The album contains music country and bluegrass music written by Lew Templeton (Adam Banjo in the movie) and Jesse Dayton (Texas country and honkeytonk singer). The album has funny and ironic tunes. The cover of Lynyrd Skynyrd's Free Bird is absolutely amazing!

Leaves' Eyes - "Vinland Saga" - The 2nd album from Liv Kristin (ex Theatre of Tragedy) and her husband Alex Krull. Liv Kristine's entrancing voice takes you on a journey of the Vikings discovery of the New Found Land.

Nightingale - "Nightfall Overture" - This is a compilation of re-recorded versions of several songs from Nightingale's 10 years of recording. Dan Swano, the mastermind behind Nightingale, takes his great songs and makes them even better with some re-worked and better recorded versions. He even throws in new versions of 2 songs from his band Edge of Sanity. Also included is a new song in which Dan reminises about how he messed up his marriage due to his focusing on his muscial career.

Spirit Caravan - "Last Embrace" - Scott "Wino" Weinrich, known for his previous bands The Obsessed and Saint Vitus continues his work in the stoner rock genre. This album contains songs from 3 Spirit Caravan albums, inlcuding the songs from the out of print album Jug Fulla Sun. Outstanding stoner rock!
post #5 of 452 Old 01-26-2006, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 367
You guys still listen to music on CDs? That's soooo 90's.

Seriously, though, I have an old Pentium II system with 3 large hard drives that contain my entire CD collection in .wav format and I have this for my truck:

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/products/L...&k3=71&pr=2008

This way, I never have to choose...
post #6 of 452 Old 01-26-2006, 03:59 PM

PooperScooper, now your talking my kind of music . I listened to everyone of those groups this week. Pat Methenys "The Way Up" is in my player right now and it may not come out for awhile. What a fantastic piece of music this is. One song, over 68 minutes long, and so moving to these ears of mine. Not for everyone, however, TWU is the latest in a long line of wonderful music from a musical genius.

Ferrets are Family/ Ferrets Corner
post #7 of 452 Old 01-26-2006, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hmmm...
In the living room: The Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady
In the car: The Blasters - Testament (Disc 1)
On the turntable: (my preferred music medium) - The Undertones - s/t
post #8 of 452 Old 01-26-2006, 04:28 PM

While I'm more into Home Theater instead of music these days, I bought the Wife a Creative Zen Vision this past week end loaded up more than 400 Cd's from my Media Library. While this was in progress, I took the opportunity to listen to:

Donald Fagen - The Night Fly
Cowboy Junkies - The Trinity Sessions
Deep Purple - Made in Japan
SuperTramp - Crime of the Century
Al Stewart - Year of the Cat
Jean-Luc Ponty - Cosmic Messenger
Simply Red - Picture Book
Tommy Bolin - Private Eyes
Traffic - The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys
Yes - Close to the Edge
Ten Years After - Stonehenge

Sounds just as great today as it did 25 years ago!!.

John R. Nelson
post #9 of 452 Old 01-26-2006, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 122
I have an hour drive home, right around the time of a lot of cds, so i listen to one every day in the car on my trip home.

Lately i have listened to:

Hey Mr. Producer (broadway stuff)
Elton Johns Greatest Hits
Alicia Keys Unplugged
Shania Twain - Come On Over
Madonna - The Immaculate Collection
A Frank Sinatra cd, his 80th birthday celebration

never take life seriously
post #10 of 452 Old 01-26-2006, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Acid Bath - When the Kite String Pops
Eminem - The Eminem Show
Ten Years After - A Space In Time
Frank Zappa - Broadway the Hard Way
Down - NOLA
Bloodhound Gang - Hooray For Boobies
post #11 of 452 Old 01-27-2006, 01:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
(check links for mp3s if you're interested - I added links to Amazon where samples are available for all tracks)

Minus the Bear - Menos El Oso
Great Seattle band, tight, punchy rhythm, amazing guitars. Highly Refined Pirates (track samples) is a great album (with great song titles), but Menos El Oso is growing on me too.

Norah Jones - Come Away With Me
Everyone knows this one. Sounds great, and even better now that I switched around and re-tweaked my speakers. I love the details and staging of all the instruments.

Cat Power - You Are Free
Great, varied album with tracks ranging from a single piano, to aco guitars, to guitars/bass/drums. Her voice is hauntingly beautiful. I can't wait to get a hold of her new album, The Greatest (track samples), after hearing tracks from it on KEXP the past few weeks.

Nada Surf - The Weight Is a Gift
Wow. Let Go (track samples) was a brilliant album, one of my favorites for that year (saw them in Seattle with Death Cab - amazing show), and this is a great follow-up album from last year. One of the best adult/indie 'pop' albums last year. At first it didn't grab me with the familiarity of Let Go, but it has grown on me a lot.

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm (track samples)
Not so much now, but this one was in my CD player in the car and at home half the time last year. Mostly great songs with tight rhythm and bass, catchy but not tiringly so.

After rearranging and tweaking my speakers, I've been going through some of my older favorites (last year and before) as well, rediscovering them so to speak -- GusGus (from '96), Morcheeba, Beastie Boys (Ill Comm), Shea Seger, Modest Mouse, The Stills, Bright Eyes, Interpol, Citizen Cope, Death Cab For Cutie (I need to give the new album some more spins), Everything But the Girl, The Microphones, Wilco, and a bunch of Japanese indie stuff that no one would know anyway.

KEXP (streaming at work) and KSCU (at home/in car), various Jazz/Bossa Nova CDs from my meager jazz collection, Jazz and Latin Jazz channels on Music Choice/Comcast.
post #12 of 452 Old 01-27-2006, 01:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
The Cranberries boxed set. I'm all Progged out after the last couple of weeks and just wanted to listen to some great pop rock. Dolores O'Riordan is always a fun vocalist to listen to. Loads of great, catchy stuff. One of the more underrated popular bands of the last decade and a half (at least in America).
post #13 of 452 Old 01-27-2006, 04:18 AM

Granian - Live Sessions http://granian.com/music/livesessions/

Check out "Over Now"... powerful ! I think you can hear the whole song instead of just a snippet of it on http://www.purevolume.com/granian under the Live Sessions album selection.

His 2000 & 2004 cd's are absolutely amazing too.

-- Tom --

My HT
post #14 of 452 Old 01-27-2006, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post

Hmmm...
In the living room: The Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady
In the car: The Blasters - Testament (Disc 1)
On the turntable: (my preferred music medium) - The Undertones - s/t

I don't (ever) hear many people mention The Undertones-- the last album I listened to was an Undertones collection.

CD player? All my cds are on a hard disk on a server in the house. Checking the playlist shows (most recent first)--

The Undertones-- The Best of the Undertones
Urge Overkill-- Saturation
John Coltrane-- Giant Steps
Todd Rundgren-- Something/Anything
post #15 of 452 Old 01-27-2006, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have heard of some of the old stuff, but almost none of the recent music mentioned here. I am listening to:

Diana Krall: The Girl in the Other Room
Neil Young: Greatest Hits
Diana Krall: All For You
Linda Ronstadt: Jardin Azul/Las Canciones Favoritas
Bob Dylan: Highway 61 Revisited
Bob Dylan: Blood on the Tracks

Chris
post #16 of 452 Old 01-27-2006, 08:00 AM

Last night:

Billy Sheehan, "Cosmic Troubadour" - his latest

U.K., "U.K." - a classic. Somewhere I have a cassette recording of a live radio broadcast of a U.K. concert that I attended (a friend did the recording) in summer of '78 that puts the studio versions to shame. I need to get it on disc.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #17 of 452 Old 01-27-2006, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I love this thread, as I'm not familiar with many of the artists mentioned. I've been in the pop/rock mood this last week, listening to:

Michael Penn - Mr. Hollywood Jr., 1947
The Shins - Oh, Inverted World
David Gray - White Ladder
K.D. Lang - Ingenue
post #18 of 452 Old 01-27-2006, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

On my xbox 360 HDD. I'm listning to;
Metallica:ride the lighting
Metallica:... And justice for all
Metallica:master of puppets
Alice cooper: billon dollar babbies
Alice cooper: the eyes of alice cooper

And on my old creative nomad jukebox II 20gb player
I've got the family guy presents:steiwie griifen the untold story. (Seen the movie so many times I just listion to it.)
Most alice cooper and metallica albums

I shouldent admit this but I will I also have 3 songs sung by sylvester stallone that I listion to regularly. They are
Road to paradise (from paradise alley)
Drinkenstein (from rhinestone)
Stay out of my bedroom (also from rhinestone, but is a duo with dolly parton)
post #19 of 452 Old 01-27-2006, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerx View Post

I shouldent admit this but I will I also have 3 songs sung by sylvester stallone that I listion to regularly. They are
Road to paradise (from paradise alley)
Drinkenstein (from rhinestone)
Stay out of my bedroom (also from rhinestone, but is a duo with dolly parton)

You're right, you shouldn't have admitted that and quit while you were ahead. If Sly Stallone can sing, then I'm a monkey's uncle.
post #20 of 452 Old 01-27-2006, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

You guys still listen to music on CDs? That's soooo 90's.

Seriously, though, I have an old Pentium II system with 3 large hard drives that contain my entire CD collection in .wav format and I have this for my truck:

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/products/L...&k3=71&pr=2008

This way, I never have to choose...

Curious, how do you have the computer hooked up to your stereo system? You don't listen to all that music at home through computer speakers do you? I can't imagine not listening to music through a dedicated stereo system with top notch speakers.
post #21 of 452 Old 01-27-2006, 11:00 AM
Dex

I don't know what you're all listening to but my latest stuff:

Coldplay XY
Madonna - Confessions (GREAT ALBUM IMO)
the new Rolling Stones
Metric - Live out Loud
Depeche Mode's latest
post #22 of 452 Old 01-27-2006, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squonk View Post

Curious, how do you have the computer hooked up to your stereo system? You don't listen to all that music at home through computer speakers do you? I can't imagine not listening to music through a dedicated stereo system with top notch speakers.

Server => Ethernet => Computer => Line Out => Stereo
post #23 of 452 Old 01-27-2006, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreySkies View Post

I don't (ever) hear many people mention The Undertones-- the last album I listened to was an Undertones collection.

They got quite a bit of mention when John Peel died since Teenage Kicks was reputed to be his favorite song. I've heard it covered more and more over the past few years in multiple genres so despite the fact nobody ever seems to talk about them they aren't completely forgotten.

I'm pretty sure they reformed and were touring the States last year, I remember Dickie Barret would play Get Over You all the time on his radio show and I seem to remember them showing up for an interview.
post #24 of 452 Old 01-27-2006, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post

They got quite a bit of mention when John Peel died since Teenage Kicks was reputed to be his favorite song. I've heard it covered more and more over the past few years in multiple genres so despite the fact nobody ever seems to talk about them they aren't completely forgotten.

I'm pretty sure they reformed and were touring the States last year, I remember Dickie Barret would play Get Over You all the time on his radio show and I seem to remember them showing up for an interview.

That would've been fun to see-- I didn't hear of any shows here in Chicago. A keyboard player I played with years ago had a goldfish named Feargal. She pronounced it feer-gul; I corrected her-- Feargal rhymes with gurgle.

Tearproof is now stuck in my head.
post #25 of 452 Old 01-27-2006, 12:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You guys with the overcompressed music servers and such are obviously not even in the slightest bit audiophiles. More and ultimate convienience certainly are the antithesis of true music appreciation in this day and age. Get rid of your Ipods and get yourself a real music system and find out what you're really missing in the music you're listening to - preferably analog (excepting the CD's and the deck). Some pretty good gear can be found for less than what you're paying for those "toys". Of course, if you don't know any better, I guess you're all satisfied enough. I guess that if you can at least hear that bass drum loud and kicking, that's all that really matters to you.
post #26 of 452 Old 01-27-2006, 12:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Does a B&K PT5 pre/pro and reference 200.2 amp, Sonus Faber Concertos and a Velodyne DD-10 sub (w/room equalizer) qualify?
post #27 of 452 Old 01-27-2006, 12:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You're right, you shouldn't have admitted that and quit while you were ahead. If Sly Stallone can sing, then I'm a monkey's uncle.

I guess we all have our own little guilty pleasures, now don't we?
post #28 of 452 Old 01-27-2006, 12:30 PM

Quote:

You guys with the overcompressed music servers and such are obviously not even in the slightest bit audiophiles. More and ultimate convienience certainly are the antithesis of true music appreciation in this day and age. Get rid of your Ipods and get yourself a real music system and find out what you're really missing in the music you're listening to - preferably analog (excepting the CD's and the deck). Some pretty good gear can be found for less than what you're paying for those "toys". Of course, if you don't know any better, I guess you're all satisfied enough. I guess that if you can at least hear that bass drum loud and kicking, that's all that really matters to you.

I'm with you, but isn't it possible to rip raw PCM and output via S/PDIF to an external DAC? However, personally, I wouldn't want PC quality electronics, not to mention the RF/EMI near the data I'm trying to feed a DAC. The only advantage I see to the PC solution is not having to load/unload a CD. To me that's no big deal.

larry

post #29 of 452 Old 01-27-2006, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

What makes you think that what's on my server is overcompressed? Or even compressed? There's not an ipod or the like in my house.

I had many hundreds of pieces of pristine vinyl that unfortunately perished in an apartment fire 15 years ago. And with the difficulty in purchasing vinyl, most has been replaced on cd. Ripping them to a server makes playing them anywhere in the house much easier-- I see no reason to muck about with moving disks in and out of players in different parts of the house.
post #30 of 452 Old 01-27-2006, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Clutch Anything by them
Oz Noy Co-worker brought it into work this very A.M.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page