Netflix, Blockbuster (and others) Online/Kiosk Discussion Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 3044 Old 03-03-2006, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If I understand some of you correctly, you are changing the label on the return envelope to the Netflix warehouse closest to you, instead of sending it to the address on the NF label that is 2-3000 miles away? Is Netflix able to register the movie correctly? Are turnaround times faster? Obviously delivery times are improved but have you encountered any problems doing this?
Thanks,
-J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3044 Old 03-03-2006, 08:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
I have only been a subscriber for 6 weeks. They definitely are "pretending" not to receive a movie for a day when they receive it. I am 98% sure of this. How? Well, on Saturday I dropped a return item in a blue postal box, before the saturday pick up - - in the town that the distribution center is located in. So it went from blue box to the post office in the same town as netflix on Saturday. There aren't many scenarios I can think of where netflix would not have received that disck on Monday. Sure enough, they didn't report it as received until Tuesday. Not a big deal, but I am not sure the service is a good fit for us longer term. We'll see.
post #273 of 3044 Old 03-03-2006, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Could depend on when the mail is delivered and how netflix inprocesses...if the mail comes late in the day it may not all be processed until the follwoing day..especially on Monday since there are two days worth of mail dropoff being delivered.
post #274 of 3044 Old 03-03-2006, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromorris View Post

If I understand some of you correctly, you are changing the label on the return envelope to the Netflix warehouse closest to you, instead of sending it to the address on the NF label that is 2-3000 miles away? Is Netflix able to register the movie correctly? Are turnaround times faster? Obviously delivery times are improved but have you encountered any problems doing this?
Thanks,
-J

Yes, it's no problem. If you look on their site they say to do this (double up) if you accidently rip a return envelope. And if you look at the return address it says "closest netflix warehouse" or something like that with the "foreign" address to the warehouse that sent it. The PO may just send it to the local warehouse anyway to save costs - which is why NF probably puts on the "closest warehouse" part (which allows the PO to do that). I'm sure the PO recognizes NF return envelopes by now. So,

1) doubling up is ok
2) sending a disc to another warehouse is ok. I'm sure if one gets overloaded with a disc they'll ship "extra" discs out to other "distant NF domains".

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #275 of 3044 Old 03-03-2006, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylia View Post

Could depend on when the mail is delivered and how netflix inprocesses...if the mail comes late in the day it may not all be processed until the follwoing day..especially on Monday since there are two days worth of mail dropoff being delivered.

Nominally, Monday's inprocessing wil comprise discs which subscribers watched on Thursday/Friday and placed in the mail Friday/Saturday. Tuesday's inprocessing is just as busy, comprising discs which subscribers watched on Saturday/Sunday and placed in the mail on Monday. Moreover, the Tuesday operation is affected by the spillover from Monday. I've kept statistics on my own account, and the highest rate of 'next-day' ships has been for those which got back to Netflix on Tuesday; Friday has the lowest rate.

Netflix does tell you to "double up" returns if you are missing an envelope, but I also saw someone post a response from their CSRs discouraging this as a general practice because it increases the risk of the disc getting mishandled by the automated sorters of the USPS, resulting in delay and damage. To avoid the risk of such delays, I use the re-labeling approach instead of doubling up.

My cable provider is Netflix
post #276 of 3044 Old 03-03-2006, 09:19 AM

And then when Monday is a PO holiday...

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #277 of 3044 Old 03-03-2006, 09:36 AM

Liked: 16
Just thinking out loud but why doesn't Netflix add a "Turbo" button to everyone's queue? That way if Thursday rolled around and I realized I wouldn't have a movie by the weekend I could press the turbo button and select a movie and NF would send it out immediately and charge me $1 for the service? I'd probably use the turbo feature every weekend and the cost of the service would be offset by the additional fee? Easy money, yes/no? I guess I envision this program as temporarily bumping your account up a level. i.e. from 3-out to 4-out for the weekend...

Thanks for that tidbit concerning the PO Box labels PooperScooper. I'll have to give it at try.

-J
post #278 of 3044 Old 03-03-2006, 09:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Quote:

Maybe so, but I doubt it. If I mailed it on saturday, seems likely it would be in the morning delivery, it is not a remarkably big town. I did say I was only 98% certain, though. I'd be less irritated about it if their advertising wasn't focused on "unlimited" and delivery speed (returns, not so much). Its an okay service, but if I am on 1-out, and they skinny me down to 3-4 per month, the cost savings aren't really there, and its just about convenience.
post #279 of 3044 Old 03-03-2006, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I think the real flaw in our discussion is assuming the USPS does anything the way we project them to It's not like they're Fedex.

It's quite likely Netflix only gets their mail delivered once a day like most everyone else. It is just the US Postal Service after all. My mail never comes before 2:30 or 3 in the afternoon.

I've noted in my own town that if I drop of my outgoing mail in the morning, Netflix recieves the disk a day earlier than if I drop off the outgoing in the afternoon.

I'm am also a 1-out....most likely they are not throttling you. They're much more concerned about throttling 3-out people than the 1-out people.

If you drop off on a Saturday afternoon it's quite possible that the mail is just collected, set aside and not processed until Monday morning.

IMO, what we are often discussing here I think is affected more by the way a particular post office manages it's mail service more than anything else. Here's something to do...try mailing yourself or a friend a letter and see how fast it gets there. You could do a decent sampling for just a buck or two.
post #280 of 3044 Old 03-03-2006, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Just thinking out loud but why doesn't Netflix add a "Turbo" button to everyone's queue? That way if Thursday rolled around and I realized I wouldn't have a movie by the weekend I could press the turbo button and select a movie and NF would send it out immediately and charge me $1 for the service? I'd probably use the turbo feature every weekend and the cost of the service would be offset by the additional fee? Easy money, yes/no? I guess I envision this program as temporarily bumping your account up a level. i.e. from 3-out to 4-out for the weekend...

That's not a bad idea at all. You have to signed up to take advantage. I assume you mean send an extra disc even if you are already at the plan max. $1 is not enough, but $2 - $2.50 might be.

larry

post #281 of 3044 Old 03-03-2006, 11:16 AM

I'm at my wits end with Netflix. I've been getting around 10-12 discs a month and I can never get a new release. I just got Wedding Crashers. I sent my last disc, Zathura, back on Friday so that I could set it up for Walk the Line. They didn't "receive" Zathura until yesterday so now I'm at a very long wait for Walk the Line. It usuall takes one to two business days for Netflix to receive a movie from the mailbox I use.
post #282 of 3044 Old 03-03-2006, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's quite likely Netflix only gets their mail delivered once a day like most everyone else. It is just the US Postal Service after all. My mail never comes before 2:30 or 3 in the afternoon.

It is more likely that Netflix send a truck over to pick it up, rather than wait for it to be delivered. The return address on their envelopes is always a PO Box, not a street address.

I'm not sure whether Netflix gets all their mail at once or makes several trips. But I do notice that disc check-ins only show up on the web between 6AM and 11AM, which makes me think they don't pick up mail any later than perhaps 9AM. Their operations model seems to be (a) open everything that comes in, (b) match what came in to what's on subscriber's queues, and (c) package as many outgoing discs as they have time for, and (d) deliver the outgoing discs to the post-office in time for them to arrive the next day in most cases. All those emails you get asking "when did disc xxxx arrive" let them tune the process so they know what their deadline for step (d) is. There is probably some overlap between these phases, but that's the general sequence. Of course we all know which subscribers they will choose when there isn't enough time to complete step (c). But this model is also what makes me skeptical that they deliberately delay acknowledging check-ins; it would take explicit programming, and one of the programmers would probably have squealed.

post #283 of 3044 Old 03-03-2006, 01:23 PM

Large mail customers (I think NF qualifies) generally have two options, pick up their mail at the post office or have a bulk delivery. If they pick it up they can do so whenever they want so long as the dock is open.
Scott
post #284 of 3044 Old 03-03-2006, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxothuk View Post

It is more likely that Netflix send a truck over to pick it up, rather than wait for it to be delivered. The return address on their envelopes is always a PO Box, not a street address.

Well that is certaintly more efficient than USPS delivere, but I still suspect that there's local post office hang-ups, especially around the weekend.
post #285 of 3044 Old 03-03-2006, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well, as I stated in my previous post I signed up for the 4 at a time plan early Wednesday morning and all of the disks in my queue stated "Available Now". Three shipped on Thursday and I received them today, that's how it should work.

I just received notice that my 4th disk had shipped and I could expect to receive it on Monday, that would make it 5 days to receive a disk that was reportable "Available Now". Netflix is definitely still throttling.

"Marines have no qualms about killing Martians"

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #286 of 3044 Old 03-03-2006, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

Well, as I stated in my previous post I signed up for the 4 at a time plan early Wednesday morning and all of the disks in my queue stated "Available Now". Three shipped on Thursday and I received them today, that's how it should work.

I just received notice that my 4th disk had shipped and I could expect to receive it on Monday, that would make it 5 days to receive a disk that was reportable "Available Now". Netflix is definitely still throttling.

It's possible that the movie was only available from a distribution center in a different state. When I had NF, there seemed a time that 50% of the movies shipped from out of state... thankfully, that lasted only several weeks.

-T
post #287 of 3044 Old 03-03-2006, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Netflix is definitely still throttling.
post #288 of 3044 Old 03-03-2006, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
i did an experiment today went to the post office this am that netflix uses. i spoke to the postal clerk who told me they pick up their box three times a day. i returned two movies one i had a few days other one i only received yesterday. they must have received it this am. so far no credit i will see if they acknowledge both at same time or one that had less then a 24 hour turnover time gets throttled ill let you know results
post #289 of 3044 Old 03-03-2006, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm thinking of joining for the first time. Any idea how long I'll get the hot titles before I get throttled?. It seems like there's a "honeymoon" period but wondering how long it will last.
post #290 of 3044 Old 03-03-2006, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

BlockBuster is managing me to around 3 a week. I'm ok with that but they seem to play the same received it a day later thing NF is doing. I could do the one day turn around on a disc but I think that would start the real throttling. I rarely get the out of stock notice.
post #291 of 3044 Old 03-03-2006, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post

It's possible that the movie was only available from a distribution center in a different state. When I had NF, there seemed a time that 50% of the movies shipped from out of state... thankfully, that lasted only several weeks.

-T

That is possible, but even so, since it was "Available Now" why didn't it ship on Thursday like the others did? Just because it's in another state is no reason to hold it an extra day before shipping.

"Marines have no qualms about killing Martians"

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #292 of 3044 Old 03-04-2006, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

It's been reported that Netflix throttles based on a minimum of $1.50 per disc. That's damn cheap and I'm more than willing to pay based on that rate. Problem is they just won't be up front about it and resort to saying "unlimited" but limiting you based on the $1.50 per your "x-out" monthly rate and then drag their feet to make sure they don't go below the $1.50 per disc rate.

I would love to have a 1 out, at 10 per month max, for $15.00. And let me add titles to my que with a "hold" button so I can get the titles I want, when I want them. And a button to reserve any new titles so I can watch them with the family on the weekends instead of getting them on Wednesday and holding them for 5 days. Or even a priority charge to bump the new titles to $2.50 or $3.00 just to guarantee I get them when I want them. Right now all they are doing is pissing people off with poor service and loosing money and customers to other rental plans.

b2b

"Listen, You Pencil Neck Geeks.." 'Classy' Freddie Blassie ~ 1918-2003
A Toshiba spokesman, said that "from an engineer's point of view, the Blu-ray is a masterpiece.."
post #293 of 3044 Old 03-04-2006, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

An article in Video Business gives us an idea of how much Netflix is paying the studios for new releases.

"The majority of studio deals require rentailers to pay $1 to $1.50 upfront per unit ordered of a title, with video stores usually enjoying about 60% of a shared title's revenue. Studios get the remainder."

That means that each time you walk out of a $4 Blockbuster with a new title they are about paying about $1.60 to the studio.

Whether the studios let Netflix pay anything less than that I don't know.

Adding $1.60 and $.66 discounted postage = $2.26 possible highest direct cost to Netflix for each new rental.
post #294 of 3044 Old 03-04-2006, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I believe that situation may only apply to when rentailers stock a significant number of extra copies for the period during which a movie is a new release (and why blockbuster can do the guaranteed in stock thing as long as they are willing to allocate shelf space). There is also the option to purchases disks for rental/repeated distribution. Libraries (at least the two I have worked at) buy very expensive versions of the disks that include rental/distro rights. Tended to be roughly $100 a disk but varying based on the disk...documentaries often being significantly more expensive than blockbusters. If they are purchasing disks instead of profitsharing/renting from the studios then they can lower their direct costs since they can spread the cost out over time and is potentially the driver for a Long Wait. If they only buy ten copies of a disk for one distro center then they have to create a wait time based on demand....if they followed the above posted model they could stock more titles and just return them when they are done with high demand and there should never be a wait.
post #295 of 3044 Old 03-04-2006, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

That is possible, but even so, since it was "Available Now" why didn't it ship on Thursday like the others did? Just because it's in another state is no reason to hold it an extra day before shipping.

I can only speculate, but it seems likely that the disc-handling process for each distribution center is managed separately and that the timelines don't mesh when they have to transfer a request to a remote center for fulfillment. Having operations spread over six time zones exacerbates the problem.

When I first joined Netflix they often did process remote shipments the same day, but about two years ago their process changed and this NEVER happens now. But it has nothing to do with "throttling".

Keep in mind also that "Available Now" is a probability estimate based on their recent statistics of supply vs. demand for that title; it is not an inventory count.

post #296 of 3044 Old 03-04-2006, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

I think the real flaw in our discussion is assuming the USPS does anything the way we project them to It's not like they're Fedex.

It's quite likely Netflix only gets their mail delivered once a day like most everyone else. It is just the US Postal Service after all. My mail never comes before 2:30 or 3 in the afternoon..

Netflix picks up its mail from the Post Office, and can do so even on days that the Post Office is not open. That's how they managed to receive and ship stuff on the recent Monday holiday.

Often stuff I send in will be indicated as received by them before 8:00 a.m. the next morning.
post #297 of 3044 Old 03-04-2006, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFR View Post

I'm thinking of joining for the first time. Any idea how long I'll get the hot titles before I get throttled?. It seems like there's a "honeymoon" period but wondering how long it will last.

Unless you're a high volume user such that they suspect ripping, you won't be throttled. I've had Netflix since 1999 and never been throttled. But then I have a plan that fits my usage too. I don't try to get by on a two out plan, when I watch maybe 4 movies a week.
post #298 of 3044 Old 03-04-2006, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxothuk View Post

When I first joined Netflix they often did process remote shipments the same day, but about two years ago their process changed and this NEVER happens now. But it has nothing to do with "throttling".

This is my experience also. Every movie sent from another distribution center has a one day delay. Movies coming from San Jose have a one day delay even tho it is in the same time zone.
post #299 of 3044 Old 03-04-2006, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromorris View Post

If I understand some of you correctly, you are changing the label on the return envelope to the Netflix warehouse closest to you, instead of sending it to the address on the NF label that is 2-3000 miles away? Is Netflix able to register the movie correctly? Are turnaround times faster?J

It's no problem at all. Netflix has the return label say "nearest facility" hoping that the Post Office will ship it to a different location than that addressed. I really don't know how well that works however. I suspect that would require the thing to be pulled out of the automated sort system, and if so, it's not likely to occur.

If you do put a different label with the local address on the mailer, make sure you also cover the bar code at the bottom. Otherwise it will probably end up at the original location, or perhaps even start getting shipped in circles.
post #300 of 3044 Old 03-04-2006, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Sh View Post

This is my experience also. Every movie sent from another distribution center has a one day delay. Movies coming from San Jose have a one day delay even tho it is in the same time zone.

That's probably in hope that it can be shipped from your local center, if I had to guess.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page