Netflix, Blockbuster (and others) Online/Kiosk Discussion Thread - Page 102 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3031 of 3044 Old 06-19-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 149
The local Safeway now has a Blockbuster kiosk but the selection looked a little underwhelming. They used to have "me too" kiosk, then went to DVDs at the service counter and now the BB kiosk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3032 of 3044 Old 08-01-2012, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Anyone getting a notification about Netflix being sued for sharing video info to 3rd parties?

"A Settlement has been reached in a class action lawsuit that claims Netflix unlawfully kept and disclosed information, including records on the movies and TV shows its customers viewed. Netflix denies that it has done anything wrong."?
post #3033 of 3044 Old 08-01-2012, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Yes
post #3034 of 3044 Old 08-01-2012, 06:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Anyone getting a notification about Netflix being sued for sharing video info to 3rd parties?
"A Settlement has been reached in a class action lawsuit that claims Netflix unlawfully kept and disclosed information, including records on the movies and TV shows its customers viewed. Netflix denies that it has done anything wrong."?

Yes .. and from the looks of it, if you are part of the class, you might actually net a cent .. of course, the lawyers are making a few million ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #3035 of 3044 Old 08-01-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Yes .. and from the looks of it, if you are part of the class, you might actually net a cent .. of course, the lawyers are making a few million ..

Which is why class action lawsuits are such a joke.

In order to get caught up on Mad Men, I changed from one out at a time to two. For months I’ve had 3 movies sitting at the top of my queue with varying wait times. Instantly, all 3 became available when I signed up for two. What a pisser. Anyway, I have Dish and their Blockbuster@home, which have all 3 of those same discs available, so when I finish MM S4, and before my next billing cycle this month, I’m canceling Netflix. I can’t really say I have any complaints with NF, other than the single disc wait time, but BB is a buck cheaper and I’m paying for it anyway to get the other 8 or so channels the package offers, so it only makes sense. I should have looked into the package options long ago but just never bothered.
post #3036 of 3044 Old 08-01-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
if you are part of the class, you might actually net a cent

NOT even. The way I read it the lawyers get about 2.5 Million, the named plaintives SHARE 30K and the rest to a couple of charities. Sounds like we don't get ANYTHING.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #3037 of 3044 Old 08-01-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

NOT even. The way I read it the lawyers get about 2.5 Million, the named plaintives SHARE 30K and the rest to a couple of charities. Sounds like we don't get ANYTHING.

I figured we users would be the named plaintifs .. and we'd get a penny .. and I was so looking forward to that .. wink.gif

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #3038 of 3044 Old 08-01-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Well i thought it was a joke, guess not. Anyone have any idea what netfix was doing with our info? I am not going to change mind you, just wanted to know what they were doing with it.
post #3039 of 3044 Old 08-09-2012, 08:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Not anything Earth shattering, but my Q on Netflix now defauts to the streaming tab rather than the by mail tab .. I've not changed any settings .. I won't read any hidden meaning into that ..

Uncle Willie

post #3040 of 3044 Old 08-09-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Not anything Earth shattering, but my Q on Netflix now defauts to the streaming tab rather than the by mail tab .. I've not changed any settings .. I won't read any hidden meaning into that ..

Yeah I have noticed that for the past 2 weeks or so frown.gif
post #3041 of 3044 Old 07-28-2014, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 67
With Blockbuster long gone out of the picture & NF stock going through the roof it looks like they are reverting back when they didn't give a rats behind. My cue list is mostly or all VERY LONG WAIT.

A year ago if any movie did go to LONG OR VERY LONG WAIT, they would all ship out within couple days or a week at most. Now it's stuck in quick sand and going no where. We desperately need another competition like BB to keep them on their toes.

I wish RedBox can add a mail service along with their Kiosk's to kick NF's butt around. As of now, they have a monopoly and that sucks for us.
post #3042 of 3044 Old 07-29-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I have no less than 11 Redboxes within 2-3 miles. Since everyone seems to clog the network on weekends I often find a disc to rent on weekends. These are movies that won't be showing anytime soon if at all on Netflix WI due to the studio. Apparently all 11 make money because even the store with two still has both.
post #3043 of 3044 Old 07-29-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post
With Blockbuster long gone out of the picture & NF stock going through the roof it looks like they are reverting back when they didn't give a rats behind. My cue list is mostly or all VERY LONG WAIT.

A year ago if any movie did go to LONG OR VERY LONG WAIT, they would all ship out within couple days or a week at most. Now it's stuck in quick sand and going no where. We desperately need another competition like BB to keep them on their toes.

I wish RedBox can add a mail service along with their Kiosk's to kick NF's butt around. As of now, they have a monopoly and that sucks for us.
Cut and paste on my post from a different thread ..

One of the reasons besides stocking less physical media and closing down some warehouse centers, back in early June, NF ended Saturday processing and shipping .. this move essentially resulted in a 17% reduction in service since the majority of Postal holidays fall on a Monday .. and also resulted in a fairly large quiet price increase for disk subscribers ..

NF is letting the physical media side die off slowly and is helping it along by short ordering titles, it's as simple as that .. although NF has stopped issuing churn numbers in it's reports, at the peak, a 3 disk out plan with perfect timing could theoretically churn 39 disks a month by burn and return methods ..

Although the physical disk business is still profitable, subscriber numbers have been dropping .. and you'll notice that NF is not doing much of anything to promote the physical disk side ..

The more lucrative self produced content, the fact that Hollywood has always hated the first sale doctrine on physical media, the continued successful expansion of streaming by NF outside the USA and other factors are continuing to herald the death of DVD / BD as far as NF goes ..

This still allows outfits like Redbox and www.3d-blurayrental.com to pick up the slack for a while, anyway ..

Shareholders, of which I admit to being one, have driven the stock up to about $445.00 a share, a clear signal that they believe NF is doing the absolute right thing and content delivery will continue to advance to the Cloud with less and less reliance on disk ..

Add to all that the fact that NF has become as ubiquitous as McDonalds / Coca Cola, etc, and is embedded in about every viewing device out there, Hastings knows he is and will be the market leader in all you can eat buffet streaming ..

And that's exactly what he wanted from the get go .. in fact, he'd prefer if you did cancel your disk plan ..

Uncle Willie

post #3044 of 3044 Old 07-30-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I canceled discs with Netflix because they were sending them at a time when I might not feel like watching that particular title and most were discs I could get at Redbox. It seems Redbox always has a 50 cent off for me every weekend. My strategy is to rent a disc from a studio that won't have it's title on NF any time soon. I preclude any of the indie horror title companies whose titles often show up a month later on NF WI. In some cases like with Phase4 you can check their site to see when it is available for streaming.

Coinstar also tried a Seattle's Best coffee kiosk that made great coffee for a good price. They were at the local supermarkets but got pulled. I asked one of the stores why it was pulled and they told me it was always breaking down though they were unhappy with it being pulled because they liked the coffee which was sort of done in a press like fashion.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page