Netflix, Blockbuster (and others) Online/Kiosk Discussion Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 3044 Old 03-23-2006, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have received a few discs from their stores, not distribution centers. Sometimes they take a lot longer. Once it took like 8 days to show up. I for sure thought it was lost.

I had an issue with a DVD in my queue last week. I e-mailed them only to receive a pointless reply, so I called them to see the issue resolved by next day. I'd call them if I were you. Hope it'll get better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3044 Old 03-23-2006, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Rakesh.S

high volume = burner?

Is that even necessary? He rents a lot of movies. So what. BB offers an 8-at-a-time plan so apparently they don't think it means the member is copying them. It's insulting enough to unjustly call someone a liar, but calling someone a thief unjustly is even more so.

As a "heavy user", he's had more experience than most with their service and his experience is at least as relevant to this thread as anyone else's. So get off his back and let him report his experience with BB... without the insulting insinuations.
post #363 of 3044 Old 03-23-2006, 06:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus123 View Post

...I can burn through a disc or two of Aqua Teen Hunger Force in one night easy (they're like 12-15 minutes an episode!).

When Netflix was throttling our account (but seems to be off throttle now, but I've been holding returning out A.I. for over a month now), it was when we started renting TV shows, which we could also go through really fast. Maybe TV shows are a throttle trigger for BB and Netflix? I used to add "Full Seasons" to the queue and get them in order but now I space movies in between each disc.
post #364 of 3044 Old 03-23-2006, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Notti... that's the best advice, and I would have already pursued that option... but there's no phone # to be found on the website. One of the customer management tools used for many online businesses is to withhold contact #'s. In Apple's iTunes case, there is no way to contact them over the telephone period (same goes for their dot Mac email service). If you have BB's contact #, keep it in a safe place, as it may not be easily located otherwise.

deeann, you may have a point. In addition to ATHF, I was zipping through TV shows lately. Just watched a bunch of Smallville's from last season to catch up on episodes I missed. That was also quick turnaround, because I skipped episodes I've already seen. Just one more reason for Blu-Ray DVD's.. fit the whole damn season on one disc!

Even when I watch every episode... I still tend to speed through TV shows. If they're worth renting, I can easily get drawn into the episodic flow and therefore finish a disc faster than 2 discs of standard movie fare.

I recieved this reply from BB around 9PM:

"You're right that you have available titles in your queue which are being shipped to you. Please be informed that to be able to receive the movies, you need to prioritize the titles in your queue. Make sure that you place all the available titles on top and put the soon to be released at the bottom. By doing this, shipment interruptions and delays can be avoided if not totally stopped. "

I've no idea why the order of my titles would affect anything other than the ORDER of shipment. A complete stoppage is just silly and should be remedied by the software. Since I never got email confirmation, I'm guessing my titles (if still available) will ship Friday afternoon.
post #365 of 3044 Old 03-23-2006, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockDawg View Post

Is that even necessary? He rents a lot of movies. So what. BB offers an 8-at-a-time plan so apparently they don't think it means the member is copying them. It's insulting enough to unjustly call someone a liar, but calling someone a thief unjustly is even more so.

As a "heavy user", he's had more experience than most with their service and his experience is at least as relevant to this thread as anyone else's. So get off his back and let him report his experience with BB... without the insulting insinuations.

not insulting anyone....just about every guy and his mom these days gets discs from their relatives and makes a copy. Software like DVDShrink makes it easier than ever.

I'm just curious what someone does with 8 out at a time, that's all..
post #366 of 3044 Old 03-23-2006, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Blockbuster accellerates for me, they dont throttle.

They often ship me 3 more movies, before I got the last 3 back to them
post #367 of 3044 Old 03-23-2006, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakesh.S View Post

not insulting anyone....just about every guy and his mom these days gets discs from their relatives and makes a copy. Software like DVDShrink makes it easier than ever.

Just because a lot of people do it, that doesn't mean that you are free to make random accusations. Remember, everybody has lied, but not everybody is a liar!

Quote:

If you're simply curious, then why not just ask how he can turnaround so many DVDs so quickly? Instead you clearly tried to imply that heavy renting may equal piracy. What happened to giving someone the benefit of the doubt???

Back on topic: I have used both Netflix and BB for over a year, and they pretty much equal out as far as turnaround. Last year Netflix had shipped a couple discs more than BB, but this year BB has a slight lead (like .5/month). BB is a little more "honest" with their shipping estimates so it fels less like they are lying to you.
post #368 of 3044 Old 03-24-2006, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Arg, I watch them. What would you do with them?

Thanks for getting my back RockDawg.

Jeff

Gamertag - Ktulu1

"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - Cicero
post #369 of 3044 Old 03-24-2006, 07:24 AM

Quote:

You may also want to consider that he may have a Wife and/or 1 or more kids, and everyone has different tastes (and their own DVD player). Also, what's on TV is so bad, that I never turn it on. That leaves lots of hours in a week to view DVD's.

John R. Nelson
post #370 of 3044 Old 03-24-2006, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nelson View Post

You may also want to consider that he may have a Wife and/or 1 or more kids, and everyone has different tastes (and their own DVD player). Also, what's on TV is so bad, that I never turn it on. That leaves lots of hours in a week to view DVD's.

All good reasons. I also rarely watch regular TV now that football season is over.

I'm still on a 3-out plan but have considered bumping it up just keep a buffer of two or three at home, and thus be able to pick which one best fits our mood on a given night. And even the 8-out plan is only getting close to the expense of "digital cable".

My cable provider is Netflix
post #371 of 3044 Old 03-24-2006, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

I've known people that rent like crazy, but have no clue how to go about copying a dvd.
Seasonal employees have lots of time on their hands, and as someone already pointed out... those with large families.

Piracy isn't really a worthwhile pursuit, and discussion of its methods only seems to encourage people. To each their own, but I think it's best to leave it out of these discussions. I think about people who are getting 'free' cable or satellite, but have to constantly be making all sorts of modifications to 'fix' blackouts, and such. Seems pretty tiring to me.

In the case of TV show discs... BB would get slower turnaround time from me overall if they bothered to list the contents of the discs...

Many times I'm just looking to watch 5 or so shows that I missed last season. Sometimes, I can pick out the episode's I've watched by the title... and thereby eliminate a few discs out of a set.

That would have helped me out with Smallville for season 4.. and most definitely with ATHF.. as there were a bunch I'd already seen.. but had no idea even what season to begin with!
A couple of times, I was done with my needs... but the remaining disc/discs had already shipped.

Granted that's not the case with all shows I watch.. but definitely some.

Getting back to my current ordeal. I've got 3 discs available, no discs out, and nothing has shipped yet.

Been trying to get away from buying dvds... as I simply have no where to keep them... and the coming HD makes them a less deireable purchase than in years past.

Much more of this, and I'll have to dump the membership and wait for cable airings. No skin off their nose, as aggressive rental eats away at profits... ofcourse I barely rented throughout January when I was very busy, and would have likley returned to such behavior in May... unfortunately now I'll be more likely to 'suspend' or cancel rather than continue.
post #372 of 3044 Old 03-24-2006, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Yeesh.. more emails back and forth til I finally got someone who read through my concerns before replying with an inapplicable message.

Essentially this rep let on that the scope of customer service is to answer questions and forward concerns on to the shipping dept. Essentially they simply don't have any immediate control.

Not exactly wonderful, as now i'm down to only 2 discs 'available' with nothing on the way... but at least this rep was honest and took the time to actually read my complaint.

I was sent some type of freebie via email, that didn't work when I went to 'confirm' it.

I'll give it a little more time, but if I have to start buying dvds again, i'll cut my losses and cancel.

I've also checked my rental frequency... and I've had the membership since mid-late December.. I've rented 33 discs. Not exactly a 'throttling' target.. at least not in my estimation.
post #373 of 3044 Old 03-25-2006, 06:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
It seems likely that I've been targeted for throttling, as I've had high volume lately... but it all depends on what you're watching...I've also had many other discs listed as 'Long Wait' for about 6 weeks since they were released.

Quote:
I've also checked my rental frequency... and I've had the membership since mid-late December.. I've rented 33 discs. Not exactly a 'throttling' target.. at least not in my estimation.

Seems these two statements of yours contradict each other--on the 3-out plan you clearly are NOT a high volume user, then or now. 33 titles over 3 months is very average. Here's my sense--and it's just a guess why you're having some difficulty--you have a very short queue with a very narrow viewing focus. You're not that flexible--you want to watch very specific things in a very specific time frame. You seem to watch a lot of TV on dvd, and I can imagine those are very popular titles among others your age--how readily you get those series disks will also depend on how you have them grouped in your queue, whether you want them shipped in order, etc.

There's no doubt you'd be getting better bang for your buck with BB by using the in-store coupons, which you don't utilize, but surely there are new Hollywood releases you are interested in seeing? The one time I got a "bonus" rental offer from BB online customer service over a problem I reported to them, I was able to click on the link and download the coupon no problem. Don't know why you couldn't. Are you able to download and print your free instore coupons just fine?

But that doesn't really matter--how any of us views this service will depend heavily on local performance: are we near a good distribution center, do we have convenient access to a good local store, and do they have the range of titles we want want to watch--in the manner we want to watch them?

Seems to me you've now been with BB long enough to know exactly what you're going to get based on your viewing habits. My experience differs completely, but based on what you want to watch, how you watch and where you live, you probably should try NF.

(Also, some quick internet searching will tell you exactly which episodes are on which disks if Blockbuster doesn't, so check NF, Amazon, a fan site for that particular show, etc.)
post #374 of 3044 Old 03-25-2006, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

I was speculating whether or not I was considered a 'high-volume' user by BB as a reason for lack of shipments... when I noticed the 33 rentals, I realized they couldn't possibly.

A narrow focus of viewing? Certainly, I don't like a big queue.. and perfer to focus on one topic at a time (so to speak) recently it was tv stuff... however narrow focus or not... When 8 discs are in your queue for over a month before release, then become 'available' and stay that way for 2+days (with no discs out).. I'd expect some of them to ship. After 2+ days, the number began to drop (with no discs out) and still no shipments... how else would you categorize such behavior other than throttling?

As far as disc information... if it is indeed readily available (and I'm not questioning that validity), they should simply import that information into their system, whether it be for disc info or 'reviews'. I spend enough time researching things I'm not already paying for...

Either way, I'm over it... i'll sit back and look at it again in another month or two. I've got other discs that have been in the queue weeks before release, been 'long wait' for 6 weeks since... If those don't clear by then, I'll know it's not worth it. NF doesn't seem to be much better, I'll just spend more time with the tivo.
post #375 of 3044 Old 03-26-2006, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Personally we returned our last batch Monday and have the next group 4 days later!

I will say that I have yet to see the first three DVDs on my original queue!

THE BUG PLUS IS 4 FREE RENTALS A MONTH (new release or OLD) In store!!
post #376 of 3044 Old 03-26-2006, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

to hell with Blue-ray.

the BRr media will be incompatable, expensive and unstable for yrs anyhow......just like CDr and DVDr have been.

I'll stick to DVDs until another Jon Johanson shows up to break DRM on Blue-ray in 7 yrs from now.

DVD is good enough.

DVDFab works well.

DRM? - no thanks.
post #377 of 3044 Old 03-27-2006, 08:25 PM

I just reactivated my membership with BB online after being inactive for a few months. I had a few minor gripes the first time around, but overall I still think they're a great deal. I just started watching Smallville recently and am trying to catch up on the seasons I missed, BB has been very consistent in sending the discs out timely in the correct order. And the 1 free DVD coupon a week doesn't hurt either!
post #378 of 3044 Old 03-27-2006, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I also have 3 out at a time and have been with them since beta testing. They've gotten a lot slower for me. It doesn't take the movies long to get to me once they're shipped, but sometimes it takes a couple of days after they've received a movie to send the next one. I usually have 25 or so movies in my queue and most say available now. I've called them each of the last 3 weeks to discuss it (each time my account showed 1 movie as being sent, instead of 3 out). They've given me 2 free in store rental coupons each time, so until they start sending my movies faster I'm just going to call every week.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #379 of 3044 Old 03-29-2006, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
So my 2 week "free" trial for Netflix just ran out - and I've decided to leave it run for now. But it seems like even before the end of my trial - things started changing.

In Netflix' defense - we DID devour movies as soon as our trial started.

We'd get 3 in the mail in the morning and I'd return them the next morning like clockwork - and we'd get another 3 in two days (1 to get to them and acknowledge - then ship - then get it the next day). Seemed great - then right at the end of the trial only 2 of my 3 returned showed up as being returned - then the 3rd one a day later - so now we're staggered. Now - the usual 1 day mailing has become a 2 day deal as I await King Kong.

Is this normal - or just maybe a hiccup with the US Postal Service? Will things start to vary a lot the longer I'm with Netflix or do they smooth out? I'm only on the 3 at a time deal so being throttled seems kind of extreme - and I'm sure my get/watch/return cycle will get longer once the initial novelty wears off.

~Bill
post #380 of 3044 Old 03-29-2006, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If you've had Netflix before, then chances are you're being throttled, because they remember you.

Although going through 3 a day is likely to get them to throttle you too.
post #381 of 3044 Old 03-30-2006, 03:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You don't have enough evidence yet to say you're being throttled, BillKen, what you're describing is just normal NF. A slight dropoff and lower priority from the honeymoon trial period, one day delayed checkin and one day delayed ship on an occasional title, you're still fine. At least for this month. Once you're really throttled you'll know--multiple days will pass before NF acknowledges receipt even though you know you have reliable next day delivery, once received titles won't ship for days, estimated delivery times will shift from next day to several days as titles start to be shipped to you from other centers, etc.

Enjoy it while you can, given what you've described you're still getting very good value for what you've paid. I don't know what you mean when you say being throttled seems kind of extreme since you're on the 3 out plan, NF throttles 3 out plans.
post #382 of 3044 Old 03-30-2006, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

I noticed that Walk the Line is on Netflix's short wait list. Maybe Netflix got wise and it's stocking enough DVDs to meet demand.

Skip
post #383 of 3044 Old 03-30-2006, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2bonez View Post

I've got my own "throttling plan" for Netflix. I've throttled the money I give them down to zero...

b2b

I did the same. I left after my 3 Disc unlimited plan went from 6 discs / week down to 2-3 / week, with me keeping a disc only overnight. I mixed new and older movies in my queue and I lived less than 30 miles from a Netflix facility! Why continue to support a company that discriminates between its heavy and light users? I wouldn't tolerate this treatment at a buffet, and I didn't tolerate it from Netflix either. Funny thing was they really didn't mind me leaving (they certainly didn't try to keep me as a customer - they probably were glad to see me go.
post #384 of 3044 Old 03-31-2006, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 704set View Post

Maybe Netflix got wise and it's stocking enough DVDs to meet demand.

I recall reading somewhere recently that NF uses some pretty sophisticated algorithms to estimate demand for specific titles. Of course any title may still encounter some buzz that causes demand to rise or fall dramatically vs. what was predicted (as the studios themselves know all too well).

But I suspect that the terms on which NF is able to acquire DVDs vary a lot by title, and that NF will tend to understock the ones that cost them more, or where they have to buy titles outright rather than share royalties.

My cable provider is Netflix
post #385 of 3044 Old 03-31-2006, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigershark View Post

I did the same. I left after my 3 Disc unlimited plan went from 6 discs / week down to 2-3 / week, with me keeping a disc only overnight. I mixed new and older movies in my queue and I lived less than 30 miles from a Netflix facility! Why continue to support a company that discriminates between its heavy and light users? I wouldn't tolerate this treatment at a buffet, and I didn't tolerate it from Netflix either. Funny thing was they really didn't mind me leaving (they certainly didn't try to keep me as a customer - they probably were glad to see me go.

You switch to Blockbuster? 3/week on the 3-out plan is "normal".

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #386 of 3044 Old 03-31-2006, 05:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 704set View Post

I noticed that Walk the Line is on Netflix's short wait list. Maybe Netflix got wise and it's stocking enough DVDs to meet demand.

Skip

I got Walk the Line the day it was released on DVD via Netflix. I have had very good luck getting newly released titles on their release date or very shortly thereafter.
post #387 of 3044 Old 03-31-2006, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Once they started shipping again, of the batch of 3 movies they sent... only 2 arrived.
This makes the second 'missing' disc in the last 3 weeks. I don't fault BB, but it makes me concerned that someone in the delivery chain is either careless or has sticky fingers. Certainly can't make my account appear too attractive either.

Anybody else have multiple instances of 'missing' discs over a short period of time?
post #388 of 3044 Old 03-31-2006, 08:50 PM

Check out Ann Thompson's RISKY BIZ BLOG on NETFLIX

Well worth a read.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr..._id=1002275149

LONG STORY SHORT;

Seems like NETFLIX is CONSIDERABLY less mainstream
and far more indie and foreign balanced that I, for one, had thought.

CURSORY COVERAGE
-- only 30% of NF's daily shipments are NEW RELEASES
-- 55,000 titles; many art house and foreign -- ie 900 Bollywood titles
-- demographic has shifted to 53 % male / 47 % female and less less upscale that initially.
-- NF has rights to 175 independent films and docus
-- NF plays to acquire 100 films per year including some for theatrical release
-- Partnered with TIVO for something

I now think better of NETFLIX . . . .

.. . . . but I still want them to

stock more bonus discs and new versions of films IE directors cuts, special editions and new and better transfers and new anamoprhic versions.

-30-

Film Is NOT DEAD -- it is the Gold Standard against which all other formats are measured

Support ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO
post #389 of 3044 Old 04-01-2006, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Once BB sends me a `FITB shipped' email I usually get the dvd iwithin two days at worst! Plus 4 free monthly in store rentals ($20 value by tiself)!
post #390 of 3044 Old 04-01-2006, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I have found out that if you do not return the dvd in it's barcoded sleeve it isn't removed from your queue unless u go to their dvd problem page and click on `dvd returned but not removed from my list'!
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page