Netflix, Blockbuster (and others) Online/Kiosk Discussion Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 3044 Old 06-06-2006, 04:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Took me 5 days to receive a DVD from Netflix when it usually takes 1 day. My neighbor finally called me and said he was trying to find the time to call me to tell me it was delivered to him. Generally, I'm very satisfied with Netflix. I think the USPS should receive much of the blame.

Skip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3044 Old 06-06-2006, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post

Just a follow-up to my previous post whereby I stated I report DVDs as "returned but not cleared my queue" 3 days after the DVD shipps from BB: received 25 DVDs last month!!

Not too bad for a 3-out-at-a-time plan (29 with the 4 in-store coupons).

-T

same here...Glory Road shipped out today.got Firewall in store 4 free so it's worth it...About 60 cents a rental!
post #453 of 3044 Old 06-08-2006, 07:47 PM

was able to rent 21 disks in one month at net flix, and had two returned as damaged and still rented 21!!!!, not sure it will always be that good, and I don't expect it to be to be honest. Pretty good so far!
post #454 of 3044 Old 06-09-2006, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Someone mentioned Redbox back in February. They only carry the latest, but for a dollar and tax, it's a good deal since I need to go to the grocery anyway, without any string attached.

The downside is there are very few kiosks around my area of Monmouth County, NJ. Hope they're expanding.

Lenny
post #455 of 3044 Old 06-10-2006, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

NF customer- I've just returned my second damaged copy of "Robots"- this makes 3 defective DVDs in the span of under two months.

Say what you want about kid's DVDs, the other one was "Catch-22".

Anybody have a clue if they actually do something about checking reported DVDs? I've a Denon DVD-2900 that plays just about anything. The only things it won't play are bad DVDs from NF...
post #456 of 3044 Old 06-12-2006, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Well, Blockbuster definately throttles too. I was getting a round trip time of 3-5 days for the first two months (+2 weeks), allowing 2 movies some weeks (1-out plan). Round trip is noticably longer now, 6-7 days for the last 3 movies. Available Now listed in the 70+ Queue on all movies. At least I get the in-store rentals - way better than Netflix, since I can stop by the store on the way home from work.

Makes my local Albertsons a much better deal, still, with all movies $1 on Mondays, using Blockbuster for ones I can't get at the grocery store (they mostly stock full screen , especially for comedies).

Other than the recent throttling, no problems at all.
post #457 of 3044 Old 06-14-2006, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

My dvds still get here within two days..one if I get lucky enough to get a dvd from the OKC metro area!sorry bout that Lindahl!
post #458 of 3044 Old 06-15-2006, 09:24 PM

I just signed up for a Netflix plan. I have a distro 25 miles from my house, so turn around is great for me. My mail gets here at 9-10am and I can drop them off at the city PO which picks up it's last stop at 8pm. I live with 3 other guys and we all work 9pm-2am, so sometimes we can easily watch those in one day. I know we did the first day they dropped off the movies

I dropped them off in the PO box the first night and they were received the next day. 3 more shipped out the same day they were received.

What is netflix explination for "Throttling" and is it still effective? I would think they would be guilty of false advertisement if they don't fulfill their end, or uphold prompt shipment. Is there something in the agreement that says they can limit the # of movies sent a month?
post #459 of 3044 Old 06-16-2006, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
NF updated their FAQ section a long time ago after a suit was filed... they plainly say light users will be given a higher priority over heavy users. And that means when DVD is received, they wait to clear the queue because they are clearing the queues of lighter users first.

Is it effective? As long as a throttled user stays with NF, then yeah, it's effective.

-T
post #460 of 3044 Old 06-17-2006, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 304
I had the recent special edition release of MASH in my NF queue since it was released a while back. It's been listed as very long wait. Now the queue entry is gone and the movie isn't listed on the site! Anybody else notice this?

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #461 of 3044 Old 06-21-2006, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 298
The other day while on the Netflix site, I noticed that I had just cracked the 1,000 movies rated mark! I was surprised, I don't recall clicking that many of those little stars--it's not like I make it a point to go through the movies and rating them. How many movies has everyone else rated? I'm sure someone can top 1,000.

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
post #462 of 3044 Old 06-21-2006, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
1590 ratings, been a member since Jun 2001.
I'm sure there are many people with over 2,000- 3,000 ratings.

Next projector will have LEDs, >=1080 res, >=10 bit color, >14bit CR, >9 bit ANSI CR, >=120Hz, >16ft.L on 12ft 2.35:1 screen, <$12bit price

My 1st line array design

My ongoing Line Array Design
post #463 of 3044 Old 06-21-2006, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 963
I rate all I rent, but I have only been a member since last year.
post #464 of 3044 Old 06-21-2006, 02:02 PM

post #465 of 3044 Old 06-21-2006, 02:21 PM

thread merged too

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #466 of 3044 Old 06-22-2006, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I've rated 1520, been a member since mid-2004.
post #467 of 3044 Old 06-22-2006, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
1030 so far.

JohnG
post #468 of 3044 Old 06-22-2006, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

The good news is NF does not throttle ratings, just rentals

-T
post #469 of 3044 Old 06-22-2006, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

27 dvds lst 30 days from BB...I've only rated 120 something..
post #470 of 3044 Old 06-23-2006, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Currently with Blockbuster, and it's an ongoing mixed bag of both exceptional and awful service. Sometimes it's SO good, and other times I wonder if they even have the discs I reserve.

I wanted to ask everyone:
What is the longest you've had to wait for any particular disc to become 'Available'?
Which online rental service did you use?
What part of the country do you live in?
I'm curious if we see any trends. (I apologize if this has been done before.)

For me it's Batman Beyond Season 1.
I placed it in my queue long before its release, and it has been at the top since its release more than 3 months ago! It STILL shows 'Long Wait', and who knows when it will ship.

Batman Beyond Season 1, 3 months (and counting), Blockbuster, Northeast

***please note this post was merged/relocated, in case the tone/content seems misplaced or redundant.
post #471 of 3044 Old 06-23-2006, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 963
2 weeks with Netflix on a few new releases
Sometimes though you can fiddle with the queue and get them sooner.
post #472 of 3044 Old 06-23-2006, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

That'd be news to me.. no clue how to help things along, although you're doing pretty darn good if 2 weeks is the longest.

before my current 3 month issue with BB, my brother had Battlestar Galactica S1 'long wait'-ing in his Netflix for 2 months, before I just bought them at Best Buy as his birthday was approaching.
post #473 of 3044 Old 06-24-2006, 02:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

you're doing pretty darn good if 2 weeks is the longest.

Yeah, that's good, I had Zatoichi TV V2 in my queue from late Feb (it was released in early March). It was the only thing in my queue to make sure that I would get it on release day. Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago, it just disappeared from my queue. Now it's not even on their site. They do have volumes 1, 3, & 4, but 4 is currently on "very long wait"

When "Ray" was first released it took 2-3 months before I could get it, even though availability finally showed as "now" they still wouldn't ship it to me. By the time it arrived I had lost interest and sent it back unwatched after a few days. Still haven't seen it. Now when I want something I just make sure I send a disc back on Friday and another on Saturday to make sure I'm one of the first to get it. Most of the time that works.
post #474 of 3044 Old 06-24-2006, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

FYI... i've run the #'s and i average about 3 a week.... and I'm fine with that so long as I can maintain decent selection.

I tend to rapid/return the tv stuff as much as possible, becuase I feel that they probably carry alot less... and I hate to be a part of the supply problem.

I tend to take longer to get in the mood for a movie, and on tv shows, there are times where I simply skip a few episodes if they seem like they're a stinker.

I didn't think 3/week would make me a target for a 3 month availability lag... but maybe it is.
post #475 of 3044 Old 06-24-2006, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Last year I had a NF subscription and really enjoyed the vast selection and quick mailing time, especially of new releases. But I had a consistent problem that ticked me enough to drop the service. About 20% of the discs refused to switch layers on their own. I really don't feel it was a player problem as I've never had that occur renting from a BB storefront and only one time from a disc I got from the local library, and that disc looked pretty beat up.

Has anyone else had a reliability problem with discs from NF?
post #476 of 3044 Old 06-24-2006, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

One last observation... exactly how long has BB been touting their redesigned website as 'Coming Soon'?
I'd swear I've been seeing them promote it's new functionality since at least February...
gotta love their concet of descriptive time refernces.
post #477 of 3044 Old 06-24-2006, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

Last year I had a NF subscription and really enjoyed the vast selection and quick mailing time, especially of new releases. But I had a consistent problem that ticked me enough to drop the service. About 20% of the discs refused to switch layers on their own. I really don't feel it was a player problem as I've never had that occur renting from a BB storefront and only one time from a disc I got from the local library, and that disc looked pretty beat up.

Has anyone else had a reliability problem with discs from NF?

Strange. With NF, in over 6 months at about 4 discs per week I've received 1 broken/cracked disc. I've never had a problem playing any other disc. How can switching layers be a disc problem? I've never ever had a disc not switch layers in 9 years watching DVDs. What DVD player?

larry

post #478 of 3044 Old 06-25-2006, 10:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
I really don't feel it was a player problem

OldCodger73--it's almost certainly a problem with your player. Get a better, more modern one, or a computer with a combo drive or superdrive that you can swap any problematic disc in.

I've averaged 4-6 discs per week from Netflix, for years, only a handful of discs that wouldn't play properly on any of my players, and I have 5 around the house (2 standalones, 3 Macs.) What happens more often to me--but still not enough to be a problem--I'm sent the wrong disc from Netflix, a mislabelled disc: it's supposed to be the Special Edition of something, which is actually pictured and described on the site and I'm sent the 'standard' disc instead. But that happens as often with Blockbuster as it does with Netflix.

New releases that I'm impatient for I just used my BB in-store coupons for, so I can't say I really have had a wait for anything in my NF queue. Years ago when I was using NF exclusively--when I was stupid, in other words--and was throttled--the only way to break the NF-imposed availability logjam or delayed check-in/delayed ship stunt was to quit, delete your cookies and rejoin. Then you'd get everything you wanted with no wait for several months. That's also why I signed up for BB a year ago--and throughout the year found that a given title on long wait in one was often available now in another. Then it's just a matter of juggling queues.
post #479 of 3044 Old 06-25-2006, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

I am sure this must have been talked about somewhere in this thread, but instead of searching around for it, I just wanted to mention a fix I found for something Netflix does.

I live in New Jersey, and every once in a while I will see that the rentals are coming from California, Tennessee, Colorado, Michigan, etc...

The reason they do this is so that you send it back to California (for example) and it takes longer for Netflix to receive it, hence it takes longer for you to get your next one.

What did I do about this?

I made labels on my computer with the local New Jersey address on them. Then, I use one of those correction tape dispencers to cover the address on the Netflix envelope, and I put my sticker on it so instead of it going to California (or whatever other far away state they want it to go to) it goes back to New Jersey.

It took a little trial and error with font size so it looks closer to the original envelope, but I got mine pretty good and it does work for turnaround time.

Never Underestimate The Power Of Forums.
post #480 of 3044 Old 06-25-2006, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Suplex, that is funny as h@ll... you're like a rental outlaw!
Nothing quite like playing games right back.

Honestly, I think all of these 'bad-vibes' people sometimes have for these services would vanish if they just came clean and said X # of rentals per week, and allocated 'availability' on a transparent first come first serve basis (including those who take the time to reserve something months before its release).
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page