Netflix, Blockbuster (and others) Online/Kiosk Discussion Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 3044 Old 02-01-2006, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Before the postal increase, the x-out plan seems to correspond to x-out-per-week. We'll have to see if Netflix does anything wrt the extra postal costs. Less than $1 per disc is not going to happen. Ask your local rental places to rent you discs at $2.50 per disc and to keep them as long as you want (don't forget to mention you want them to order discs that Netflix has and they don't) - and see what they say. Don't forget to add in gas and time. I'm not picking on anybody - just trying to point out that Netflix isn't that bad a deal.

larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner View Post

20 movies out - you are never going to get that

I just checked my complete rental history going back to 2003 (its stored under preferences on Netflix.com)

The most I was ever able to rent in a month (I should say the most Netflix ever sent me in a month, because the slowdowns have always been on their end) was 13. The least I ever was able to rent in a month was 9. There were only a couple 9 months, just about every month was 12 or 13 total and this is on the 3 out plan.

That puts it at $1.53 per disc my cost. I guess that is fair considering I dont have travel time or gas cost to get to the video store. Someone else here mentioned that Netflix will slow you down on purpose if your per disc cost starts to get below $1.50, and I believe them.

No, but I do feel I am being throttled already and I am not a heavy user. Is 20 movies per month heavy usage when you are on the 3 out plan? I don't think so. I think anything beyond and average of 5 rentals per week is pushing it a bit. I see some complaining that they don't get more than 50 per week. That is just ludicrous. I am not going to jump the gun. I am going to give things a month to pan out. That will be 6 weeks if you add the free two week trial. That should be plenty of time to give an evaluation. If things don't shape up, I am going to BB.
At this point I am looking at 3 or four movies per week on the 3 out plan. In my eyes that is just un-acceptable.

Craig

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 3044 Old 02-01-2006, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I haven't seen any BB average cost per disc numbers. Has anybody else?

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #33 of 3044 Old 02-01-2006, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I live on the Island of Maui and the distribution center is on the Island of Oahu. I usually drop my returns in the mail drop box at the Mall where I work. The Postal Gal drops our mail off any where from 12:30 to 2:00 pm. She also picks up the mail in the drop box during her stint ay the mall. Now, I do not know what time those people at Netflix start work. But when I check my e-mail in the morning before i head off to work (6:30-700am) I have an e-mail saying they have received my dvd's I mailed the previous day. Pretty darn good in my book. By the time i get home my selected dvd's in my queue are on their way and arrive the next day. I have the 5 at a time plan. 95% of the time their is a not a delay on shipping off my queue. Sure at times I might not have my movie as soon as i would like. But thats life. If I only lived in a perfect world. All in all I am very happy with Netflix.
post #34 of 3044 Old 02-01-2006, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I use Netflix. I have the 3 at a time program and it takes me app. 2 weeks to get the three. I'm sure there must be some problem with the mail in my area. I hope this will get better.

Joe
post #35 of 3044 Old 02-01-2006, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk112000 View Post

Is 20 movies per month heavy usage when you are on the 3 out plan?

I'd say it's heavy use for sure - somewhere between 2.5 and 3 times what the average NF subscriber gets. It is certainly possible to watch that many DVDs, especially as a substitute for regular TV.

With the priority scheme that Netflix uses and occasional shipments from remote distribution centers, I think you would be hard presses to consistently get 20 discs per month on the three-out plan.

My cable provider is Netflix
post #36 of 3044 Old 02-01-2006, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Just a question for all who presently rent from BB or netflix. The BB in my area seems to only have full screen versions of most DVDs. Is the BB online inventory the same. I have a 16:9 screen and really don't want to rent anything in 4:3 if there is a wide screen version.

Also, has anyone noticed that the day of the week on which you return a movie makes any difference with respect how long it takes to get a new DVD? Due to our work ours, my wife and I really only get to watch movies on the weekend. If I can't reliably expect monday to friday turnaround, then that is a deal breaker.

Sailn...
post #37 of 3044 Old 02-01-2006, 12:22 PM

If you watched 3 movies on the weekend and returned them on Monday you'd have to live in a pretty remote area not to get new DVDs on Friday - mail comes on Saturday too. For the 3-out plan, don't expect more than 3 movies per week. Don't forget, the first 2 weeks are free!

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #38 of 3044 Old 02-01-2006, 12:31 PM

Yes, I have fairly quick turn around no more that a few days. One thing I noticed that slows the turn around is make sure you place the disk in envelope so you can see the bar code through the slit n the envelope.
post #39 of 3044 Old 02-01-2006, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxothuk View Post

I'd say it's heavy use for sure - somewhere between 2.5 and 3 times what the average NF subscriber gets. It is certainly possible to watch that many DVDs, especially as a substitute for regular TV.

With the priority scheme that Netflix uses and occasional shipments from remote distribution centers, I think you would be hard presses to consistently get 20 discs per month on the three-out plan.

20 movies per month on a 3 out plan is heavy use.?.
I don't think it is. When we receive a movie in the mail, we watch it that night and it is in the mail by the next morning.
Think about it.
I come home from work around 5PM. You pick up the mail out of the mail box and notice you have a movie to watch. So, you sit down. Have some supper with the family and read the paper. At about 6:30-7pm you pop in the movie and it's over by 9pm give or take a few minutes. On the weekends we can easily sit down and watch two movies in one afternoon or evening. I can easily see where I could watch 20 movies in a month with-out even trying. It is very easy for us to get the movie back in the mail (drop movie off to local PO) the next morning on the way to work so we can receive our next movie we have queued ASAP.

Craig

post #40 of 3044 Old 02-01-2006, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole Cipro View Post

Yes, I have fairly quick turn around no more that a few days. One thing I noticed that slows the turn around is make sure you place the disk in envelope so you can see the bar code through the slit n the envelope.

You know, I wondered this as well. I noticed the slit and that the bar code lined up so I have been putting my dvd's in the mail this way. I was actually wondering if this was a no-no thinking that is why my movies are coming and going so slow.

Craig

post #41 of 3044 Old 02-01-2006, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
20 movies a month may not be heavy use to you but Netflix doesn't care about that. To them 20 movies a month is a money losing proposition if you are on the 3 out plan, and they aren't going to let you get away with it. You try it and let me know but I bet you money that after a short while you start seeing the same "shipping today" "shipping tomorrow" slippage and hijinks that I am seeing.

3 movies a week every week on the 3 out plan is an almost perfect average of what I have gotten over the last 2 years. I was hoping for more but it didnt work out that way.

My perpetual home theater build - Omaha Theater #5
post #42 of 3044 Old 02-01-2006, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner View Post

20 movies a month may not be heavy use to you but Netflix doesn't care about that. To them 20 movies a month is a money losing proposition if you are on the 3 out plan, and they aren't going to let you get away with it. You try it and let me know but I bet you money that after a short while you start seeing the same "shipping today" "shipping tomorrow" slippage and hijinks that I am seeing.

3 movies a week every week on the 3 out plan is an almost perfect average of what I have gotten over the last 2 years. I was hoping for more but it didnt work out that way.

Maybe I will have to step up to the 4 out plan.

Craig

post #43 of 3044 Old 02-01-2006, 02:47 PM

As I mentioned before, from others have said, and if you look at their pricing structure you'll have to go to the 5-out plan if you want 20 movies per month: 4 weeks x 5 movies = 20 per month. I don't know where the extra 2 weeks per year fit in...

larry

post #44 of 3044 Old 02-01-2006, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
[quote=nebrunner]You try it and let me know but I bet you money that after a short while you start seeing the same "shipping today" "shipping tomorrow" slippage and hijinks that I am seeing.QUOTE]

I'll take ya up on that bet!!!! I am on the 5 out at a time plan and I can get 10 movies out in a week without a problum. Maybe every 6 or 7 weeks I might get a slow period on shipping' but that doesn't happen that often and is short lived when it happens. Mind you there are 3 of us all with different tv/dvd players in our household. Netflix rocks for us
post #45 of 3044 Old 02-01-2006, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaByte View Post

I'll take ya up on that bet!!!! I am on the 5 out at a time plan and I can get 10 movies out in a week without a problum.

Right, I believe you. We were talking about the 3 out at a time plan though.

My perpetual home theater build - Omaha Theater #5
post #46 of 3044 Old 02-01-2006, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
20 per month on the 3 out plan doesn't seem out of line. I know I was getting even more than that 1 or 2 years ago. I've slowed down on the movie watching lately. I guess I've seen everything I want to see . But seriously, I think it depends alot on how close you are to a hub, and which hub you're close to. I live in the SF bay area and if I ship a movie or movies on a Monday, I get my next shipment by Wednesday without fail. Netflix started in the Bay Area, so I wonder if the local hubs are larger, with more selection. I don't really know, just speculating.
post #47 of 3044 Old 02-02-2006, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroder View Post

20 per month on the 3 out plan doesn't seem out of line. I know I was getting even more than that 1 or 2 years ago. I've slowed down on the movie watching lately. I guess I've seen everything I want to see . But seriously, I think it depends alot on how close you are to a hub, and which hub you're close to. I live in the SF bay area and if I ship a movie or movies on a Monday, I get my next shipment by Wednesday without fail. Netflix started in the Bay Area, so I wonder if the local hubs are larger, with more selection. I don't really know, just speculating.

Yes... I agree. I don't think 20 movies per month is out of line either. I sent Netflix an e-mail. I stated that I wanted to receive 20 movies per month. I simply asked them if the 3 out plan was adequate.

You are right... could be something to do with the hub location. Mine is Lansing MI. At least that is what the return address says on the self addressed envelope we receive from Netflix.
I am actually going to try a different post office. I actually pass three local post offices on my 23 minute journey to work.

I received two movies last night.
Dropped em in the mail this morning. Lets see how quick the turn around is.

Craig

post #48 of 3044 Old 02-02-2006, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole Cipro View Post

I used to think that, but mostly I don't bother and they acknowledge my returned movies the very next morning after I mail them. I live just a few miles from Netflix's home office so distance from the hub couldn't be an issue. To me, it seems they are purposely holding off mailing the next movie by one day. Usually by around noon after they have received my returned movie, I see the next movie and says 'shipping'. Later that day, it will say 'shipping tomorrow'.
post #49 of 3044 Old 02-02-2006, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone out there still paying $20 for 4 movies out?
post #50 of 3044 Old 02-02-2006, 05:51 AM

Netflix always seems to carry the widescreen version, when available.

I have always been very happy with their service, and do not generally encounter "smoothing" (throttling). Of course, I am not an insanely high-rate renter, and I could care about new releases. I have some 500 movies in my queue; that's the value of a service like this. I set up a list and movies I am interested in just arrive at my house.

All these questions are heavily discussed on hackingnetflix (where the smoothing discussions also bore me). Look it up, or subscribe to the rss feed.
post #51 of 3044 Old 02-02-2006, 06:42 AM

Just wondering if I have a problem. I have received 29 movies from Netflix in 6 months; that is less than 5 a month. I am on the 3 a time plan. What should be the average of movies a month I should receive? I view the movie and send it back the next day. I guess BB would be a better choice for me. The movies which I receive are in good condition. I have 70 movies in the queue. Any advice appreciated.

Joe
post #52 of 3044 Old 02-02-2006, 06:57 AM

Joe,
Do the movies at the top of your queue have "Now" availability? Also, if you have a 2 day trip from your mail to Netflix that wouldn't help, especially if you send in one movie at time.

larry

post #53 of 3044 Old 02-02-2006, 07:02 AM

I am in River Ridge, La. When I receive the movie, it is usually only one at a time. The movies that I order have always been available. If I do receive more than one and send them back together; they will usually come back one at a time. Thanks for the reply.

Joe
post #54 of 3044 Old 02-02-2006, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaracelona View Post

Just wondering if I have a problem. I have received 29 movies from Netflix in 6 months; that is less than 5 a month. I am on the 3 a time plan. What should be the average of movies a month I should receive? I view the movie and send it back the next day. I guess BB would be a better choice for me. The movies which I receive are in good condition. I have 70 movies in the queue. Any advice appreciated.

You are getting ripped.
You could probably get as many with the 1 out 9.99 per month plan.

5 a month on the 3 out plan is just wrong.
Be sure you are sending your dvd's back with the bar code on the white dvd envelope showing through the little slit on the red return envelope. I now have a dvd out in limbo because I have a feeling that I didn't do this on this particular disc.
The movie was sent about 6 days ago and still does not show it has been received. Ticks me off because I could have probably received another movie by now.

Craig

post #55 of 3044 Old 02-02-2006, 07:44 AM

Yea, 5 a month is not right. It's a tad cheaper than video store prices, but not what others are getting from Netflix. The over-under for the 3-out plan is 12/month.

larry

post #56 of 3044 Old 02-02-2006, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

One thing I have noticed with Netflix is the way they have their plan pricing structured.
The largest price increase between the first four plans is $3. Then, pricing jumps from $17.99 for the 3 at a time (unlimited), to $23.99 for 4 at a time (unlimited). Why?? Really strange.

Craig

post #57 of 3044 Old 02-02-2006, 08:02 AM

$24 - $18 = $6. 1 extra disc per week is 4 x $1.50 = $6 Kinda funny how each next hop up is $6 more than the previous. Coincidence? You decide.

larry

post #58 of 3044 Old 02-02-2006, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

$24 - $18 = $6. 1 extra disc per week is 4 x $1.50 = $6 Kinda funny how each next hop up is $6 more than the previous. Coincidence? You decide.

larry

Ok smart a$$...

1 out at a time is $9.99 (unlimited)
2 out at a time is $14.99 (unlimited) That is a $5 increase. Right?
3 out at a time is $17.99 (unlimited) That is a $3 increase. Right?
4 out at a time is $23.99 (unlimited) That is a $6 increase. Right?

What math are you using?

I still am trying to figure out the logic here...
Usually companies try to entice you to order more by charging you less as you move up the price scale. AKA quantity discounts.

Craig

post #59 of 3044 Old 02-02-2006, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk112000 View Post

Be sure you are sending your dvd's back with the bar code on the white dvd envelope showing through the little slit on the red return envelope. I now have a dvd out in limbo because I have a feeling that I didn't do this on this particular disc.
The movie was sent about 6 days ago and still does not show it has been received. Ticks me off because I could have probably received another movie by now.

Craig

I have never put the bar code out, unless I did on purpose. I doubt this has anything to do with it. I think it even says to put the DVD sleeve right-side-up in the envelope.

If they haven't received it yet, report it missing. I have reported DVDs missing when they don't get there the morning of 2 days after I send it (weekdays, anyway). Ie., if I send it on Monday, it should arrive on Tuesday. If they don't show it received by Wednesday morning, I report it missing.

If you report it missing, they will send out your next movie, whether or not that DVD ever makes it there. Sometimes they just get lost in the mail.
post #60 of 3044 Old 02-02-2006, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

I have never put the bar code out, unless I did on purpose. I doubt this has anything to do with it. I think it even says to put the DVD sleeve right-side-up in the envelope.

If they haven't received it yet, report it missing. I have reported DVDs missing when they don't get there the morning of 2 days after I send it (weekdays, anyway). Ie., if I send it on Monday, it should arrive on Tuesday. If they don't show it received by Wednesday morning, I report it missing.

If you report it missing, they will send out your next movie, whether or not that DVD ever makes it there. Sometimes they just get lost in the mail.

Thanks for the tip...
I reported it twice though.
Still no acknowledgement from NF as to have received my missing dvd. Still no acknowledgement from NF as to have received my missing reports.

This company needs to get its crap together.

Craig

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page