Netflix, Blockbuster (and others) Online/Kiosk Discussion Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 3044 Old 10-23-2006, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by omanfrig View Post

Has anyone tried CafeDVD? I read through (most of) the 21 pages of discussion here, and couldn't find anything on them. Netflix and Blockbuster are the big two obviously, but if people have good experiences with another outfit, I may check them out.

Any experience with CafeDVD?

I had not heard of that till now. Perhaps I''l try them if they have a trail period.
I've just cancelled NF after having them for 8 weeks, so far, I like BB better.

to each his own...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 3044 Old 10-23-2006, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

An error in my favor!
(I'm on the 3 at a time plan)

to each his own...
post #633 of 3044 Old 10-23-2006, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

When I go here to check them out...

http://dvd-rental-review.toptenreviews.com/

...there doesn't even seem to be mention of them.

Never Underestimate The Power Of Forums.
post #634 of 3044 Old 10-24-2006, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slogun View Post

An error in my favor!
(I'm on the 3 at a time plan)

Mine's been like that for a few weeks. I send movies back, but they keep sending me an extra. At one point, I had 5 out (all sitting on my TV), now I'm back down to 4. I'm also on the 3 at a time.

Not that I'm complaining.
post #635 of 3044 Old 10-24-2006, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Has anyone tried CafeDVD? I read through (most of) the 21 pages of discussion here, and couldn't find anything on them. Netflix and Blockbuster are the big two obviously, but if people have good experiences with another outfit, I may check them out.

I took a look at their website. I didn't see any mention of a free trial offer.
They seem to be a bit more expensive than BB/NF, plus their only shipping facility is in San Francisco.
Me being on the East coast, I don't see any pluses to their service for me.

to each his own...
post #636 of 3044 Old 10-26-2006, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Just noticed it this am. Looks like it has potential, but I can't really test how well it works right now on my flaky wireless connection here at work.

to each his own...
post #637 of 3044 Old 10-26-2006, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Just noticed it this am. Looks like it has potential, but I can't really test how well it works right now on my flaky wireless connection here at work.

That was made available to me on October 13 but had a lot of links that were basically empty. It was not surprisingly taken off the same day and was put back to the old interface. I didn't know that you could make these things available to some members but not to others. The queue was easier to manage with it, so that was a plus. But if they have money to spend on their site, I want them to carry at least all the titles that they add to their "Releasing This Week" instead of leaving some of them "Coming Soon."
post #638 of 3044 Old 10-28-2006, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone else experiencing trouble with Blockbuster's new website design?

I can't seem to perform any task without some form of delay or error. You'd think with the amount of time spent on development, it wouldn't be so buggy.
post #639 of 3044 Old 10-31-2006, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Their new website may be a buggy beta, but I do like BB. Here's their latest error in my favor, 5 movies out on my 3 at a time plan, plus the weekly in-store coupon:

to each his own...
post #640 of 3044 Old 10-31-2006, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

UPDATE!! 6 movies shipped on my 3-at-a-time plan from BB!!

to each his own...
post #641 of 3044 Old 11-01-2006, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

You'd almost think I worked for BB, the way I have such good things to say about it.
I just learned about BB's new "Total Access" program which has been briefly discussed here previously.
What that means is that you may, if you wish, return your online DVD rentals to the BB store in exchange for a free in-store rental. This is IN ADDITION to your online rentals and IN ADDITION to your e coupons. When you return a DVD to the BB store, your next movie in your queue will be processed and mailed.
Check out the FAQ under Total Access on the BB website.

I'm in for this. Too bad I just put 2 online rentals in today's mail...

On a humorous aside, I just tried to "report a dvd problem" by saying I have returned the two movies I put in the mail today so they will go ahead and ship my next movies, but the response I received was "you cannot report a problem on these DVDs as they haven't arrived to you yet."
heh...

to each his own...
post #642 of 3044 Old 11-02-2006, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Yes the new BB total access will keep me a while longer. The Turn around on this makes me happy.
post #643 of 3044 Old 11-02-2006, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

This may have already been discussed and I will do some thread searching, but can anyone provide some feedback on which service has more HD-DVD/Blu-Ray titles available....Netflix or Blockbuster Online?

Thanks...
post #644 of 3044 Old 11-02-2006, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Freaky View Post

This may have already been discussed and I will do some thread searching, but can anyone provide some feedback on which service has more HD-DVD/Blu-Ray titles available....Netflix or Blockbuster Online?

Thanks...

I've used both services and have looked into the listing of HD-DVDs for both sites (I own the Toshiba HD-A1 player) and they seemed comparable.
Having used both services, BB is the clear winner for me for reasons I've discussed in my recent posts.
If/when BB begins to stock HD-DVDs in their stores, this will be a major added benefit, especially in conjunction with the new Total Access policy.
My advice to you is to go ahead and take the free two week trial for both services and judge for yourself.

to each his own...
post #645 of 3044 Old 11-03-2006, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I've used both services for extended periods. Netflix for about a year, Blockbuster for about 1 1/2 years. I strongly recommend Blockbuster. From my experience, they are better in every way.

Phil Smith
post #646 of 3044 Old 11-03-2006, 07:11 PM

I finally tried the NetFlix 14 day trial. I chose (2) DVD titles per month since I wanted to rent Series movies first. Come to find out they do not count a Series as one rental. They go by disc count only. That means only (2) discs per month out of a (5) disc Series. Reading their terms and conditions, Netflix claims (2) title rentals per month. The remedy according to NetFlix is that I need to go to an unlimited plan but they won't let me change until the next billing cycle (about 25 days from now). I can cancel but they say I cannot sign up again. Is this really the case?
post #647 of 3044 Old 11-03-2006, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGBlues View Post

I finally tried the NetFlix 14 day trial. I chose (2) DVD titles per month since I wanted to rent Series movies first. Come to find out they do not count a Series as one rental. They go by disc count only. That means only (2) discs per month out of a (5) disc Series. Reading their terms and conditions, Netflix claims (2) title rentals per month. The remedy according to NetFlix is that I need to go to an unlimited plan but they won't let me change until the next billing cycle (about 25 days from now). I can cancel but they say I cannot sign up again. Is this really the case?

Not true.
I cancelled my netflix membership recently and have the option to restart it any time. (but I sure as hell won't). What you can't do, is come back and get another free trial period.

I think you may also be incorrect about changing your plan at any time.
You can certainly cancel your membership immediately, at any time. You can restart at any time with the membership plan of your choosing no problem. True, though you can not get reimbursed or credited for time left in the current billing cycle.

If you've read my posts over the previous two pages here, you'll know what I'm going to say next....tell NF to kiss off and go get your free 2 week trial at Blockbuster and get to know what a better online rental company is like....

Excuse me now while I run out to BB to return a few of the 6 discs I received today (yes 6 discs today on my 3 at a time plan, errors in our favor!) for free in-store rentals. My next online rentals will soon be on their way as well.
(With BB, I have DVDs coming out my wazoo)

to each his own...
post #648 of 3044 Old 11-03-2006, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus123 View Post

Sony.... NON-proprietary?!?
Isn't that described in the Book of Revelation... signaling this world's doom?

But seriously... the download market is gonna take some time to work well enough to begin to affect the netflix model. My reasoning is as follows.

1) Broadband speed is pretty pathetic, compared to it's true capability... so downloads take a little too long for most people.
2) HD video is a struggle for the vast majority of PC's in service today (usually requiring a dual core/chip system for adequate playback... so I'm kinda skeptical about cheaper set top boxes.
3) Up til now, home media boxes have been long delayed or riddled with bugs..

Apple comes out with their iTV box in February priced at $299. Supposed to sport wireless video stream, etc... Personally I'd much prefer they make something with CableCard.

I agree video download is the future... but it's gonna take some time.
Feel free to flame me on this. It's late, I need sleep, and It's likely overlooked something.

Won't work in rural areas where at best is T1 sat and most folks are on dial-up.
post #649 of 3044 Old 11-03-2006, 07:31 PM

Quote:

Not true.
I cancelled my netflix membership recently and have the option to restart it any time. (but I sure as hell won't). What you can't do, is come back and get another free trial period.
I think you may also be incorrect about changing your plan at any time.
You can certainly cancel your membership immediately, at any time. You can restart at any time with the membership plan of your choosing no problem. True, though you can not get reimbursed or credited for time left in the current billing cycle.

If you've read my posts over the previous two pages here, you'll know what I'm going to say next....tell NF to kiss off and go get your free 2 week trial at Blockbuster and get to know what a better online rental company is like....

Excuse me now while I run out to BB to return a few of the 6 discs I received today (yes 6 discs today on my 3 at a time plan, errors in our favor!) for free in-store rentals. My next online rentals will soon be on their way as well.
(With BB, I have DVDs coming out my wazoo)

How can I be incorrect when Netflix tells me this. If this is really the way NetFlix is run, it is time for me to run.
post #650 of 3044 Old 11-03-2006, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGBlues View Post

How can I be incorrect when Netflix tells me this. If this is really the way NetFlix is run, it is time for me to run.

Yes, run.
But how and when did they tell you this. Just TRY to find an email address or telephone number to contact a person at NF.

BTW, I'm just back now from the brick n mortar BB store where I exchanged 4 online rental DVDs for 4 free in-store DVDs, the next set of DVDs in my online queue will soon be on their way as well.

to each his own...
post #651 of 3044 Old 11-03-2006, 11:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Boy, lots of complaints about Netflix lately.

I couldn't be more satisfied. I get my movies extremely quickly. They send a new one the same day that they receive one back (and that is usually the day after I mail it)!

Their HD-DVD's are almost always in stock too.
post #652 of 3044 Old 11-03-2006, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Slogun,

I'm paying for 3 dvds @ a time thru BB as well...The last two shipments have been 5 dvds each!woohoo!

I will say that I preferred the more simplistic old setup on BB.
post #653 of 3044 Old 11-04-2006, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SbWillie View Post

Slogun,

I will say that I preferred the more simplistic old setup on BB.

??
Are you referring to the website? Cause I don't see how anyone could complain about the new Total Access, especially since it's optional.
But, yes, I think NF still has the superior website design.

to each his own...
post #654 of 3044 Old 11-05-2006, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

i work at a bbv.
i have a free 3 out a month plan.

i have had the regular 3, umlimited out plan

i've been using netflix since it started.

bbv takes 3-4 days min to get to my door from the day i drop it in the mail.

netflix takes 1-3 days from drop to door.

netflix has less
'long wait" and even more imortant has virtually no instances
of "coming soon" the latter of which bbv has many

since i can only have 3 out total per month i havent had the chance to
takke advantage of the new total access plan yet.

also since i get 5 free rentals every week anyway
the free rental per envelope doesnt help me much

i like netflix, i should also mention that i have a 4 out at the 3 out price, grandfathered in to that price.

anyway i think i;ll keep netflix because i know the service is great
post #655 of 3044 Old 11-05-2006, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whotony View Post

i work at a bbv.
bbv takes 3-4 days min to get to my door from the day i drop it in the mail.

netflix takes 1-3 days from drop to door.

That may be your experience with BB, but it's not the norm.
For me BB has been faster than NF ever was. Also, once you've hit 20 DVDs for the month NF throttles your account. BB doesn't do that shiat and in fact takes your word that you put the DVDs in the mail and goes ahead and sends your next batch out without even having received your last DVDs back yet.

Thought I'd save some turnaround time with NF by dropping my DVDs off at the Post Office of their regional mailing center, guess what....NF sat on those DVDs for 48 hours each time before acknowledging they got them and delaying having to send out my next batch.

Now with BBs Total Access, if I get, say 5 DVDs in the mail that week, that means I really get 10 cause now I take them back to the store for an immediate FREE in store rental.

Like I say, I've got DVDs coming out my wazoo.

Beat that NF!

to each his own...
post #656 of 3044 Old 11-05-2006, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

That's great but I am more curious about BB's selection of Blu-Ray and HD-DVD movies. On their website, it is very difficult to find Blu-Ray and HD-DVD sections...they're all grouped in together. I am getting a new HDTV, so I want to choose the online service that will have the most next-gen titles.

Quote:

That may be your experience with BB, but it's not the norm.
For me BB has been faster than NF ever was. Also, once you've hit 20 DVDs for the month NF throttles your account. BB doesn't do that shiat and in fact takes your word that you put the DVDs in the mail and goes ahead and sends your next batch out without even having received your last DVDs back yet.

Thought I'd save some turnaround time with NF by dropping my DVDs off at the Post Office of their regional mailing center, guess what....NF sat on those DVDs for 48 hours each time before acknowledging they got them and delaying having to send out my next batch.

Now with BBs Total Access, if I get, say 5 DVDs in the mail that week, that means I really get 10 cause now I take them back to the store for an immediate FREE in store rental.

Like I say, I've got DVDs coming out my wazoo.

Beat that NF!

post #657 of 3044 Old 11-05-2006, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Freaky View Post

That's great but I am more curious about BB's selection of Blu-Ray and HD-DVD movies. On their website, it is very difficult to find Blu-Ray and HD-DVD sections...they're all grouped in together. I am getting a new HDTV, so I want to choose the online service that will have the most next-gen titles.

No, each site has them separated by Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD (BB has them listed under "Collections").
Apparently you have to be a member to view the complete collection at NF.
BB has 80 HD-DVD titles and 56 Blu-Ray titles.

NF's site boasts 150 Blu-Ray titles.

Of course the numbers should be changing constantly from here on out.

Take the free 2 week trial for both and see what you like best.
Subscribe to a service and you're locked in for what, 4 weeks?
I did 8 weeks of NF and that was enough to know that BB worked a lot better for me.

The BB experience will shine even more if/when they get HD titles in their stores available for the Total Access.

to each his own...
post #658 of 3044 Old 11-06-2006, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

BBers,
Movies that are released this Tuesday usually say "Available Now" by now (Monday morning) with the old web site, but it still says "11/7/2006." Do they still ship new titles on Monday? If any of you have in your queue a title that's coming out this week, does it say "Available Now" or "11/7/2006"?

PS - The ones that are released this week keep going back to the bottom of the queue even though I put them back to the top every time. This is annoying.
post #659 of 3044 Old 11-06-2006, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
APPARENTLY BLOCKBUSTER CHANGED THEIR NEW RELEASE MAILINGS TO COINCIDE WITH THEIR NEW `IN STORE' ONLINE RENTAL RETURN policy!

I returned four of my online rentals to the local BB and got 4 movies!

This month's total rentals to date: 15!!
post #660 of 3044 Old 11-06-2006, 12:07 PM

Late Friday night I returned 3 BBO dvds in store and exchanged them for in store rentals. Then on Sunday I reported that I returned the discs and that they hadn't cleared my queue (I thought that they shipped on Saturdays). Anyways, the result was today I have 6 new movies being deliverd!
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page