Netflix, Blockbuster (and others) Online/Kiosk Discussion Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 3044 Old 11-29-2006, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlw2000 View Post

I really think I will switch from Netflix as returning movies to the local store is just too easy for me. Unfortunately, this store doesn't carry HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.

When Total Access was first announced, I was skeptical(go to the store to return discs and ruin the ease of mailing?!?). Then when I tried it and realized you wind up with twice as many movies for the same money, I said it will REALLY be a boon when the BB stores start carrying HD disks, and it's true.

There is only ONE BB store in my area that does NOT carry HD-DVD/BluRay.
You might check more stores in your area or those between work and home...

to each his own...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3044 Old 11-29-2006, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slogun View Post

When Total Access was first announced, I was skeptical(go to the store to return discs and ruin the ease of mailing?!?). Then when I tried it and realized you wind up with twice as many movies for the same money, I said it will REALLY be a boon when the BB stores start carrying HD disks, and it's true.

There is only ONE BB store in my area that does NOT carry HD-DVD/BluRay.
You might check more stores in your area or those between work and home...

How quickly does BB online ship the next movie? I got email reply that I returned a movie yesterday, but have yet to see my next movie shipped. I also returned 2 movies directly to the store and have yet to receive confirmation that it was returned. Netflix always ships the next movie in my queue the afternoon after receiving my returned movie.
post #723 of 3044 Old 11-29-2006, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How quickly does BB online ship the next movie?

Usually very quickly.
To speed up the process, BB also has an option to manually remove the movie from your queue by selecting "report a problem" and then select "I returned the movie but it has not left my queue." This was recommended by a poster several pages ago on this thread and works quite well.

Quote:

Netflix always ships the next movie in my queue the afternoon after receiving my returned movie.

Yes, or best said once they acknowledge receipt of the movie.
I used to try to shave off turnaround time by dropping my movies off at the post office of the local Netflix distribution center(they had a mail slot labeled NETFLIX), only to have Netflix wait a full 48 hours before acknowledging receipt of the movie.

to each his own...
post #724 of 3044 Old 11-29-2006, 02:20 PM

Ever since I have started renting hd dvds from bbo the service has slowed down a lot. In the last 3 days i have had at least 2 spots open in my queue each day and only 2 movies have shipped total. Today none were shipped at all even though 7 of my first 8 in my queue (48 total) are marked as available. Also the movies that did ship were shipped very late I received conformation emails at 5 pm for one and 9 pm for the other. Is anyone else having similar experiences?
post #725 of 3044 Old 11-29-2006, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJeff View Post

In the last 3 days i have had at least 2 spots open in my queue each day and only 2 movies have shipped total. Today none were shipped at all even though 7 of my first 8 in my queue (48 total) are marked as available. Also the movies that did ship were shipped very late I received conformation emails at 5 pm for one and 9 pm for the other. Is anyone else having similar experiences?

Yup.
They re-did their website about two-three weeks ago and they were shipping out DVDs like mad, it was not uncommon to have twice as many DVDs on hand than you are entitled to on your plan.
Looks like they've made an adjustment to counter that and things have slowed down quite a bit.
No, it's not related to your HD rentals, just a coincidence.

to each his own...
post #726 of 3044 Old 11-29-2006, 07:36 PM

Signed up for Total Access a few weeks ago. Very pleased but had one glitch today. I had returned 3 movies on different days to the local store last week - picked up 3 more cd's - worked great they took my online cds with the mailer & traded for free. Then in todays mail I get a partial returned envelope indicating it was received without contents - so they sent it back to me. I went to BB store & took the partial returned envelope & explained what had happened - they acted like it was my fault - even though I had returned to them, they had checked it in and gave me a free movie. They said that I may have to buy the lost cd - flew all over me - told them that this was not my fault it was theirs. They said they would check into it. I got home and called custom service - they was very helpful and polite. They said that I this was not my fault and that I would not be charged for the lost cd.

I don't know if this makes any difference but the 1st cd I traded back to the store, I had sealed the envelope but the store asked me not to do that. The next 2, I did not seal. I asked customer service about it & they said definitely seal the envelope and to ignore the store.
post #727 of 3044 Old 11-29-2006, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazos123 View Post

I don't know if this makes any difference but the 1st cd I traded back to the store, I had sealed the envelope but the store asked me not to do that. The next 2, I did not seal. I asked customer service about it & they said definitely seal the envelope and to ignore the store.

Instructions everywhere say to seal the envelope before returning it to the store.
Sounds like the people at your store are low lifes.

to each his own...
post #728 of 3044 Old 11-29-2006, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
back down to three mailed rentals at a time on BB...
post #729 of 3044 Old 11-29-2006, 08:05 PM

Yea - this is the same store that the manager tried to talk me out of doing the Total Access several weeks ago. He said I would be making a big mistake if I changed from the old program (movie pass). I think part of the problem with the store is the lack of training/knowledge regarding the new BB plan.
post #730 of 3044 Old 11-29-2006, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazos123 View Post

Signed up for Total Access a few weeks ago. Very pleased but had one glitch today. I had returned 3 movies on different days to the local store last week - picked up 3 more cd's - worked great they took my online cds with the mailer & traded for free. Then in todays mail I get a partial returned envelope indicating it was received without contents - so they sent it back to me. I went to BB store & took the partial returned envelope & explained what had happened - they acted like it was my fault - even though I had returned to them, they had checked it in and gave me a free movie. They said that I may have to buy the lost cd - flew all over me - told them that this was not my fault it was theirs. They said they would check into it. I got home and called custom service - they was very helpful and polite. They said that I this was not my fault and that I would not be charged for the lost cd.

lol, they're DVDs but thats besides the point.

return the envelopes to another location and get your free rentals from that other location.

before you do that check one of your receipts from the bad bbv and see if the phone number for the stores boss is on there.
it should be.

call that number and report the problems you have had and you dont trust that store and will use a different one.

hoping that the bad bbv actually sealed the dvds before sending them out it is
very easy for the envelopes to tear while in the post office system.
they're not as good as the netflix sealers
post #731 of 3044 Old 11-30-2006, 01:24 PM

Yeah - I meant DVDs not CDs - I was just venting
post #732 of 3044 Old 12-01-2006, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SbWillie View Post

back down to three mailed rentals at a time on BB...

Me too.

Phil Smith
post #733 of 3044 Old 12-01-2006, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

BB is screwing themselves up now.
Not only do I only have 2 movies currently shipped on my 3 at a time plan.
One of those I've already watched and returned to the store. When I try to "report a problem" and have it cleared from my queue, they're telling me I can't cause "it is still on it's way to me."

When I reported this to customer service this was their astute reply:
I appreciate your letting us know of your concern. Please be advised that you can only report an issue for a title after the expected arrival date.

Of course, what I had already told them was their expected arrival dates (estimated shipping times) are way too long.

to each his own...
post #734 of 3044 Old 12-02-2006, 05:28 AM

I have a subscription to gameznflix and when I went to put in a game it wouldn't play. I took it out and the disc was cracked. I had already had the game for a month. Anyone know if they will charge me for it? I know if games get lost in the mail they don't charge you.

HD BLOG: TeknologikL
post #735 of 3044 Old 12-04-2006, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Blockbuster is beginning to piss me off.
Tonight I was notified that they just shipped a movie to me (Weather Man) which was 13th on my queue with at least 7 available movies above it.

to each his own...
post #736 of 3044 Old 12-06-2006, 06:42 PM

OK - the latest. I returned a couple if DVDs to another store across town - sealed as discussed in previous post - no problem. I went back to exchange a couple of movies in my local BB - got the same line - these can't be sealed - I explained to the clerk that this is what the national office told me to do & that the your store had lost another DVD last week. They acted like this is a real pain in the a@#?. I know this is not a big thing but it is now the principal of it - this is what the chain has agreed to. The clerk explained to me this is franchise but to me if you sign on - you sign on to the agreement of the franchise/store. I don't want to pay for any lost dvds (that the store sends in as a mass mailing, etc.) as I almost had to last week. The local store has never called me to tell me what they worked out for the last lost DVD - know a week ago (I called the national office and they took care of it). Again, - I know I'm just venting but really upset with the local BB that I have supported for years.
post #737 of 3044 Old 12-06-2006, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

seriously, stop going to that bbv store.

if they are a franchise they can set the rules up for that store to be nearly anything they want.
post #738 of 3044 Old 12-07-2006, 06:38 AM

BB vs Netflix, tha battle continues....

This morning I head on my news channel that Blockbuster stores will take Netflix mailbacks and give them a free rental (same as total access except with the red envelopes instead of the multi colored ones)....interesting to see to what stores will do to get your business and it benefits you the consumer to a degree....

-Tony-
"We are the music-makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams."
Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present.
post #739 of 3044 Old 12-07-2006, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeymi30 View Post

This morning I head on my news channel that Blockbuster stores will take Netflix mailbacks and give them a free rental (same as total access except with the red envelopes instead of the multi colored ones)....interesting to see to what stores will do to get your business and it benefits you the consumer to a degree....

So that means you can be a Netflix customer and get free Blockbuster rentals? That can't be true, but reading you post verbatum makes it sound that way.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #740 of 3044 Old 12-07-2006, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I thought they were arch rivals.
I'll have to believe this one when I see it myself...

to each his own...
post #741 of 3044 Old 12-07-2006, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

So that means you can be a Netflix customer and get free Blockbuster rentals? That can't be true, but reading you post verbatum makes it sound that way.

larry

And then Netflix charges you for not returning the DVD

Skip
post #742 of 3044 Old 12-07-2006, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

I read what Smokeymi30's talking about on a major movie site. I don't know if they are committed to this or it's just an idea. I think it's a stupid move as NF subscribers don't see any incentive to switch to BBO then. I know BB wants to get NF subscirbers in to their stores and see some $$$ from them, but I bet many people will just pick up free retal and leave.
post #743 of 3044 Old 12-07-2006, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

I think its a limited time thing, only happening for a couple of weeks.
post #744 of 3044 Old 12-07-2006, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidboy View Post

I think its a limited time thing, only happening for a couple of weeks.

I think I get it now...
It's not some sort of cooperation between NF and BB, it looks to be a rather ingenious way of enticing the NF customers into the BB stores to see how good Total Access can feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notti View Post

I know BB wants to get NF subscirbers in to their stores and see some $$$ from them, but I bet many people will just pick up free rental and leave.

Yes, but some will likely get used to the idea and return...

to each his own...
post #745 of 3044 Old 12-08-2006, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by 704set View Post

And then Netflix charges you for not returning the DVD

Skip

I was thinking just the empty mailers.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #746 of 3044 Old 12-08-2006, 09:50 AM

total access still has bugs...It was explained to me that when I return the mailer to the store, that it would register as being returned and send out the next dvd...I am finding that they are not sending out the next for a couple of days...just like if I mailed it back myself....anyone else seeing the same issue?

-Tony-
"We are the music-makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams."
Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present.
post #747 of 3044 Old 12-08-2006, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

total access still has bugs...It was explained to me that when I return the mailer to the store, that it would register as being returned and send out the next dvd...I am finding that they are not sending out the next for a couple of days...just like if I mailed it back myself....anyone else seeing the same issue?

Yep, returning to the store is not saving any time.
I had been moving things along by clicking on "report a problem" and selecting "I reurned the DVD but it hasn't left my queue".
However, they seem to have put some time extensions on this. It won't allow you to report a problem for 24 hours or so after they estimated the DVD was due to reach you. Their estimation of when the DVD should reach you can be 2-3 days after you've in fact received/watched/returned it.

to each his own...
post #748 of 3044 Old 12-08-2006, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Same here in Tulsa, return the movies instore and it still takes two days to clear the queue.
But hey, two (technically one with one monthy rental) extra rental per week, so I cannot complain.
post #749 of 3044 Old 12-08-2006, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

I was thinking just the empty mailers.

Just the customer address flap from the Netflix mailer; you use the rest of the mailer to send your Netflix disc back to Netflix.

My cable provider is Netflix
post #750 of 3044 Old 12-10-2006, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I just joined Netflix and am wondering how to specify WS versions only. If this is not an option, will WS take precedence over FS? I really dont want FS.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page