Netflix, Blockbuster (and others) Online/Kiosk Discussion Thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 3040 Old 05-31-2007, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had the Netflix $9.99 plan for about a month now and am very happy with it. On short months I should be able to rent 7 movies a month, and on months that are a couple of days longer I should be able to rent 8 movies for $9.99. Figure 2 movies a week, but subtract one movie a month due to no-mail holidays.

At $1.43 per movie at minimum, I do not see how they are making any money on me. Maybe I am just a lost cause and they make their bucks on people who forget to return their movies quickly. I watch them the same day I get them and drop them in a street mail box the very next morning. Mail time to their distribution location is 1 day. I suppose December may bring down the averages due to the holidays and slower mail that time of year. For now, it's a good deal. It saves on time and gas going to the store, and I like the way their Web page is set up now. I tried them a number of years ago, but the service was so slow I cancelled. Now it is quick and I have no complaints.

IB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 3040 Old 05-31-2007, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I never thought I would say this, but:

I dropped Netflix like a hot potato and picked up BB. And I couldn't be happier with my decision.

Note that I hated BB with a passion for years for many reasons.

I've been a NF member since June '01 and I saw their service become slower and slower and s l o w e r . . .

I've had NF and BB overlapping for a few months and the differences were startling.

NF would average about 10 movies a month if lucky with NONE of the new releases available due to "long waits".

BB, OTOH, would send me 3 movies, I'd watch them, go to the store and replace them with new copies and send me new movies BEFORE they would even receive them!!!
We had so many movies, I HAD to drop NF.

NF sent me an "offer" of 20% off for 3 months to go back to them.
No freaking way. They lost me and they won't have me back.
It's all their doing. If they drastically change their policies, I might consider going back.

Until then it's BB...

Next projector will have LEDs, >=1080 res, >=10 bit color, >14bit CR, >9 bit ANSI CR, >=120Hz, >16ft.L on 12ft 2.35:1 screen, <$12bit price

My 1st line array design

My ongoing Line Array Design
post #1083 of 3040 Old 05-31-2007, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess it must depend on what part of the country you live in. In my area the service is fast and I have gotten every movie I wanted right away.

IB
post #1084 of 3040 Old 06-01-2007, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

NF distribution center is 100 miles from here (Phoenix).
Not exactly far away.
They just throttled me enough to dump them.
Never again.

Next projector will have LEDs, >=1080 res, >=10 bit color, >14bit CR, >9 bit ANSI CR, >=120Hz, >16ft.L on 12ft 2.35:1 screen, <$12bit price

My 1st line array design

My ongoing Line Array Design
post #1085 of 3040 Old 06-01-2007, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by inky blacks View Post

At $1.43 per movie at minimum

We're right @ $.40 per movie.
post #1086 of 3040 Old 06-04-2007, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky blacks View Post

I guess it must depend on what part of the country you live in. In my area the service is fast and I have gotten every movie I wanted right away.

IB

You have nailed the critical factor: proximity to a distribution center.

I love Netflix - but I also happen to live in a town with a Netflix distribution center. Almost invariably I receive 2-day turnaround (e.g., I mail a disk back on Monday, receive a new disk on Wednesday).

Netflix is even more wonderful when you buy your high def player (I happened to pick Toshiba's HD-DVD). When Netflix has a title in HD-DVD format, I have them ship it to me in that format - the picture quality is amazing - the rentals are readily available - and I couldn't be more pleased.
post #1087 of 3040 Old 06-05-2007, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by KosminenPoika View Post

You have nailed the critical factor: proximity to a distribution center.

I love Netflix - but I also happen to live in a town with a Netflix distribution center. Almost invariably I receive 2-day turnaround (e.g., I mail a disk back on Monday, receive a new disk on Wednesday).

Netflix is even more wonderful when you buy your high def player (I happened to pick Toshiba's HD-DVD). When Netflix has a title in HD-DVD format, I have them ship it to me in that format - the picture quality is amazing - the rentals are readily available - and I couldn't be more pleased.

I agree. I think there are a lot of factors involved in getting your rental in a timely manner. We as consumers can find the one that works best for us. For some that is Netflix, for others BB. At least we have competion. Enjoy, I certainly do.
post #1088 of 3040 Old 06-08-2007, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I am sure this has been hashed out, but couldnt find anything from a quick search. Does Netflix make or have special copies of the DVD themselves? I asked this because I noticed that many of the dvd's that I get, have a basic gray color with with or non-colored lettering for the movie title/info. The latest was Dreamgirls. I havent seen a store bought dvd of Dreamgirls. But I am thinking that the store bought DVD has better graphics painted on the dvd.
Quality of the image and sound appear to be fine. Or is there something I dont know here either?
post #1089 of 3040 Old 06-11-2007, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone know what is with this title and BB?

The stores say it was available as of a couple of weeks ago, but apparently only got 2 copies which are always sold out. I am skeptical that they ever got it in.
I have checked three stores.

BB online says it's availability is "Unknown."

EDIT: Odd, shows up as two entries:

to each his own...
post #1090 of 3040 Old 06-25-2007, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

If your discs were removed from your NF queue today, it's a mysterious issue they are trying to resolve. Just add them back.

I signed up again with them this morning, and all the new releases I wanted to get moved in to "At Home." I checked back this afternoon to see them all gone. I added them back again only to see some discs removed again. I was concerned that I might not be getting those new releases, but they said it's affecting everybody. So hopefully those discs are still available. But I'm afraid some (many?) members are getting things just fine, judging by the lack of posts here.
post #1091 of 3040 Old 06-25-2007, 07:11 PM

What do you think of Netflix's Watch Now?

I've tried it half dozen times, and it performs surprisingly well. All the titles that I've tried started playing in about 14 seconds after I began the download, and the movie playe to the end almost without interruptions. On average, there were about two pauses or short hiccups per title.

Cons: limited library, moderate PQ, some older titles in standard definition, microsecond hiccups

Yet, if this is an indication of what is to come in VOD, I'm enthusiastic.

New Box: One Fusion 5 RT Gold and a Powercolor Theater 550 Pro in microBTX system
post #1092 of 3040 Old 06-26-2007, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekFunk View Post

What do you think of Netflix's Watch Now?

I've tried it half dozen times, and it performs surprisingly well. All the titles that I've tried started playing in about 14 seconds after I began the download, and the movie playe to the end almost without interruptions. On average, there were about two pauses or short hiccups per title.

Cons: limited library, moderate PQ, some older titles in standard definition, microsecond hiccups

Yet, if this is an indication of what is to come in VOD, I'm enthusiastic.

it's ok but if the Xbox live marketplace goes to subscription based pricing their in trouble.
post #1093 of 3040 Old 06-26-2007, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug View Post

I am sure this has been hashed out, but couldnt find anything from a quick search. Does Netflix make or have special copies of the DVD themselves? I asked this because I noticed that many of the dvd's that I get, have a basic gray color with with or non-colored lettering for the movie title/info. The latest was Dreamgirls. I havent seen a store bought dvd of Dreamgirls. But I am thinking that the store bought DVD has better graphics painted on the dvd.
Quality of the image and sound appear to be fine. Or is there something I dont know here either?

not sure exactly but I think netflix gets special disc only copies of some releases. this way they pay less per disc and they can still make profit when they sell them for 5.99 later.
post #1094 of 3040 Old 06-26-2007, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalnoise View Post

not sure exactly but I think netflix gets special disc only copies of some releases. this way they pay less per disc and they can still make profit when they sell them for 5.99 later.

What sort of packaging does NF sell these DVDs in?
Paper sleeve?

to each his own...
post #1095 of 3040 Old 06-26-2007, 02:55 PM

I wanted to share my own experience/mini-review with both BB and NF. In general, my experience doesn't differ from many people who posted here but something happened today worth mentioning.

I was with NF for a number of years and was subjected to throttling big-time. At one point last year, I had a friend of mine mirror my queue just to make a direct comparison. In all cases, he received new releases earlier than I did, in some cases there was a 3-month difference!

A few months ago, I called NF and the person on the phone was so evasive and condescending that I switched over to BB. Another major deciding factor was that there is a BB store literally outside my apartment.

So far, the difference has been amazing in terms of total # of movies per month. I'm sure the BB store's proximity has a lot to with that though, since I can pop by anytime and I generally avoid rush hour. I made the mistake of going once on Friday evening, never again!

The things that i hated about BB stores are still there: snooty young employees checking out what you rent, attempting to sell you pop corn and candy at 8 am (!), the occassional obnoxious customer in the line in front of you. On second thought, i just may be anti-social.

Also, the online selection was a little bit better with NF, especially in terms of older and/or foreign movies. But, in terms of selection, Greencine was a better experience than both BB and NF.

So, back to what happened today. For a few days my BB queue was stuck. I returned movies at the store Thursday afternoon and until today nothing. So my first instinct was that BB started the same practises as NF. So, i call them up ready for a fight and the woman said there was a glitch with their system and the movies showed "returned" online but not at the distribution center. So, if you ever get the same issue, call them sooner rather than later.

5 minutes after i hung up the phone the problem was fixed and there were 3 coupons in my e-mail box as a "sorry". So, unless things change drastically, it looks that i'm staying with BB; more movies, better customer service, even if the selection is somewhat more limited and the NF website was much better.
post #1096 of 3040 Old 06-29-2007, 03:50 PM

This comes under the heading of minor annoyance, but is anyone else having trouble getting rid of the popup in the NF queue introducing drag-and-drop? The feature itself is convenient, but close the popup, and it's back up on the next visit. At least under my configuration of Firefox.
post #1097 of 3040 Old 06-29-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barte View Post

This comes under the heading of minor annoyance, but is anyone else having trouble getting rid of the popup in the NF queue introducing drag-and-drop? The feature itself is convenient, but close the popup, and it's back up on the next visit. At least under my configuration of Firefox.

I'm not having a problem with popups. However, since they switched to drag and drop, I'm having a terrible time renumbering my que, which is the way I prefer to do it over drag and drop. The number I want to switch each movie to won't take for some reason
post #1098 of 3040 Old 06-29-2007, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

you can go into your acc't and uncheck drag and drop.
post #1099 of 3040 Old 06-29-2007, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whotony View Post

That also blocks the popup. Thanks.
post #1100 of 3040 Old 06-30-2007, 03:48 AM
Advanced Member

I got an email the other day that my NF fees have actually been REDUCED!!! How cool is that?
post #1101 of 3040 Old 06-30-2007, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whotony View Post

I didn't see that before! Thanks for the info.
post #1102 of 3040 Old 07-01-2007, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by legierk View Post

I got an email the other day that my NF fees have actually been REDUCED!!! How cool is that?

it's called losing business to competition...
post #1103 of 3040 Old 07-02-2007, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by legierk View Post

Can you tell us how the NF charges have changed for you?

to each his own...
post #1104 of 3040 Old 07-05-2007, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm really furious with Intelliflix. I have over 30 titles in my queue and only ONE has been shipped! I asked them about it and they said that my titles are in high demand.
Yeah.....so.....what does it have anything to do with me?

The best part is, I paid in ADVANCE 3 titles at a time! Why do they offer this if they can't keep up with demand? How is this my problem? Isn't good business to have these titles avialable ALL the time? Especially, when an expected service is paid in advance?

Has anyone have had this problem and what did you do about it?

Evil is Good
post #1105 of 3040 Old 07-05-2007, 09:09 AM

Can't speak directly to your situation, but if history is any indicator, this business model--DVDs-by mail--is tougher than it looks. Netflix has had any number of competitors but only Blockbuster has really become an entrenched player. And BB has some experience and resources, here.
post #1106 of 3040 Old 07-07-2007, 12:28 AM

In an earlier post, I mentioned how I switched from Netflix to BB after 3 years with NF. This is just a follow up.

So far I have been quite impressed with the BB online service. They send movies pretty rapidly, usually within 2 days, and this is after having them for over 6 months. In addition to the various coupons I get monthly, I also have a BB store less than a mile from my house, so I can exchange an online movie for an instore rental easily. It's actually a good deal because I've been able to see more movies/week and it's actually a couple bucks less than NF's service.

I do have a few quibbles, of course. The BB website is definitely inferior to that of NF, though they have improved the speed of the site considerably from when I first started. NF also allowed me to be more flexible as to which discs in say a TV series would be sent and more importantly, all of NF's discs were sent to me in order. The last couple weeks BB sent me the last 5 movies that were near the bottom of my que, but then they reverted to the correct order this week - they seem more inconsistent in that regard. If there are any further develpments I'll keep you all posted ...

mbird
post #1107 of 3040 Old 07-07-2007, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I don't know if this subject has ever been discussed, but about three weeks ago I went to return my rented copy of The Da Vinci Code. For what ever the reason, it seems to have disappeared off the face of the planet.
Who knows what happened to it. Bottom line, it is our fault the disc is missing. So, I went to notify NF that the disc is lost and pay for the replacement disc and they are saying the replacement cost is $20.
Well, I really had no problem with this either. The key word here is HAD!!
But then I thought of something. How much would NF charge me if I were to buy a used copy?? The answer... $5.99!!!
So I guess, I am wondering why a good customer who has been a member for well over a year with out any problems is getting hosed for $20, when they are clearly selling them for $5.99.
Am I wrong in my thinking here?? Why shouldn't I be only paying $5.99??

Craig

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
post #1108 of 3040 Old 07-07-2007, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk112000 View Post

Am I wrong in my thinking here?? Why shouldn't I be only paying $5.99??
Craig

Wow. Good for you for being honest.
If you'd said you didn't receive the disc or sent it back, they would have forgiven the cost for one time.
I guess the bottom line is that they are interested in making a profit.

I've been of the opinion for quite some time that NF sucked ass.

I wonder what BB charges for such an occurrence.

to each his own...
post #1109 of 3040 Old 07-08-2007, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by slogun View Post

If you'd said you didn't receive the disc or sent it back, they would have forgiven the cost for one time.

Well, I try to be honest...

What really aggravates me about this situation is Netflix is basically saying the value of their disc is $5.99. If someone wants to purchase this disc, it is quoted as $5.99. The disc I had received was far from new. I specifically remember having to clean it because it was so dirty.
Why not charge good customers what you deem the disc as being worth? Which at this time is $5.99 used, not $20.
I just think $20 is over the top.

Craig

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
post #1110 of 3040 Old 07-08-2007, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slogun View Post

I lost a disc once. Probably got thrown away with some trash or something.

BB's response (via online forms) was something to the effect of: "It happens, don't worry about it." No charge. I'm sure it would be different if it happened very often.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page