Top 10 Reasons The Descent isn't like other cookie-cutter horror films:
10. Some chick doesn't stumble/fall and get caught...oh wait.
9. The victims aren't in some desolate place...oh wait.
8. The setting isn't dark and ominous...oh wait.
7. The thing that's stalking them doesn't seem superhuman..oh wait.
6. There aren't any hot chicks in the film...oh wait.
5. There aren't any "boo factor" moments...oh wait.
4. Things always make sense...oh wait.
3. There isn't any drinking...oh wait.
2. The ending doesn't show just one survivor...oh wait, maybe?
1. There's no significant T & A irrelevant to the film. Dammit! Why does this have to be the only one that's true?
And that, dear friends, is yet another reason The Descent
is so darned good (with the exception of #1). It follows all the classic rules of a horror film, then proceeds to stretch and break those rules to its own achievement.
As an aside, for those of you that never had the "pleasure" of being the victim of squonk's wrath, imagine a slightly meaner, uglier, testier, nastier crawler, and you''ll have it spot on. Hell, even Larry remembers him after all this time, even with all us other members he has to keep a leash on! Evil, thy name is squonk.