AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
[quote=Fettastic]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhan View Post

I didn't realize it came out that long ago in the UK. Guess I can believe it's just a remarkable coincidence. But we should remember that The Cave had a lot of CGI which takes many months to do in post production. Someone plugged into the rumor net could easily hear about it and think "Hey, I can knock off a quick B-version and steal their thunder, even capitalize on the pre-release "cave" buzz and possibly fool some people into thinking they are going to see The cave." It happens all the time. Look at the flood of War of the World STVs that came out last summer, or the Passenger 93 DVD that came out just as the movie hit.

Yeah, maybe but usually no one copies a movie unless it is a hit. It just sounds like bad business to make a copy before knowing how the original will do. BTW, it's no big deal finding out what's going into production today, just check the IMDB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 506 Old 08-07-2006, 10:25 AM

Liked: 10
If I recall, in the commentary on the R2 dvd, Neil and technical crew describe planning the lighting scheme and preproduction of the script a full two years before primary filming.

Is it so hard to believe there exist tight groups of sport enthusiast women? Biking, running, climbing, etc. This describes one of my older sisters. They could've done any sort of exercise, they just happened to pick caving.

I thought the slow buildup, the brief backstories gave us just enough to care about what happens later on. The atmosphere, music, and filming in the tight quarters gave me that slightly claustrophic feeling that added to the horror...something The Cave didn't. I also like the original UK ending. Sarah with the insane thought of sharing her daughter's brithday as we're left with an assumption.

Hoping Lionsgate comes around to the HD DVD side and not just releases this on Blu Ray. Will probably resort to hoping for an overseas release.
post #183 of 506 Old 08-07-2006, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fettastic View Post

But the biggest thing was that this movie ripped off EVERYTHING! The only reason I can think of why some of you liked this movie was because you haven't seen too many horror films or you'd know how badly this rips them off.

Hmm...I get the feeling Poop and Oink have seen a few horror films. Watched a couple myself.
Tastes vary, is all. There is no last word on whats good or bad.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #184 of 506 Old 08-07-2006, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 79
We're not worthy, we're not worthy, we're not worthy...

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #185 of 506 Old 08-07-2006, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
[quote=Fettastic]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhan View Post

I didn't realize it came out that long ago in the UK. Guess I can believe it's just a remarkable coincidence. But we should remember that The Cave had a lot of CGI which takes many months to do in post production. Someone plugged into the rumor net could easily hear about it and think "Hey, I can knock off a quick B-version and steal their thunder, even capitalize on the pre-release "cave" buzz and possibly fool some people into thinking they are going to see The cave." It happens all the time. Look at the flood of War of the World STVs that came out last summer, or the Passenger 93 DVD that came out just as the movie hit.

Actually, 'The Descent' was first shown at the "Brussels International Festival of Fantasy Films" on 11 March 2005.

BTW, I wish I had been "fooled" into seeing 'The Descent' because I wasted my time watching "The Cave". The Cave was a very lame movie, too much CGI. Just wondering what "Cave" buzz was there to steal? That it was a horrible movie?

It's fine that you didn't like "The Descent", but your diatribe of it is unnecessary.

"Marines have no qualms about killing Martians"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #186 of 506 Old 08-07-2006, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=Airboss]
Quote:

Actually, 'The Descent' was first shown at the "Brussels International Festival of Fantasy Films" on 11 March 2005.

BTW, I wish I had been "fooled" into seeing 'The Descent' because I wasted my time watching "The Cave". The Cave was a very lame movie, too much CGI. Just wondering what "Cave" buzz was there to steal? That it was a horrible movie?

It's fine that you didn't like "The Descent", but your diatribe of it is unnecessary.

Now we know for a fact that there no possibility that The Descent is a rip off of The Cave w/ a premiere much earlier than the UK one.
post #187 of 506 Old 08-07-2006, 12:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

We're not worthy, we're not worthy, we're not worthy...

larry

LOL!

Seriously, there is an old saying, "there is NO such thing as an original piece of art."
If you stop to consider that, it is true.
Art isn't conceived in a vacuum.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #188 of 506 Old 08-07-2006, 12:41 PM

[quote=Airboss]
Quote:

Oh I'm sure there was a test screening of The Cave even before that, but really, it's pointless.

There was a trailer of The Cave out at least 6 months prior to its release as well. At that point it looked cool. At that point it was unique. The CGI was the only thing The Cave had going for it and The Descent didn't even have that.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Imagine The Cave with guys in elf suits instead of CGI monsters and that's The Descent.

The film was not remotely scary. I mean, we've established that these things can't see, even though they react to light. but apparently they can't smell or hear either because one of them was 2" away from a girl who sat there quivering and whimpering as it strolled on by. I mean, come on folks, HONESTLY!
post #189 of 506 Old 08-07-2006, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=Fettastic]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

Oh I'm sure there was a test screening of The Cave even before that, but really, it's pointless.

Why is it pointless? Your the one who said it was a rip off of the Cave. We are just pointing out the fact that it was released first and most likely in production before the Cave. There aren't facts that say The Cave was in production first nor was it shelved and then released. It would have been pointless if you hadn't brought it up first.
post #190 of 506 Old 08-07-2006, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I just watched the Region 4 Spanish (was in English though) NTSC version of the Descent and it was the real UK version (with the real ending)...absolutely awesome, brutal, nerve-racking movie...I thought it was excellent.

Fett: we get your point, but the idea that they ripped the Cave off is invalid...

I'll definitely buy the R1 DVD as I would love to hear about how they lit the environment and how they shot it...I think that would be fascinating...the whole environment was just plain scary

Josh
PSN: lax01
post #191 of 506 Old 08-07-2006, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

One could argue the film is more about style than substance, but I'm not even sure about that. But even if you take it as just an exercise in establishing mood, I'd have to say it was a success. Part of the problem is the director isn't trying to make anybodys idea of what a horror film should be-he's got his own agenda. Read a review on Amazon I think where the writer said that for at least 1/2 the film you're not watching the movie you think you are, and that strikes me as a perfect way to describe the experience..heck, even after finishing it I wasn't all that sure what I just watched, but I knew I enjoyed the journey. Trying to compare it to other films to establish a frame of reference might not be the way to go about it. Yeah, there are a lot of elements that have been in other films, but in this one they're used differently. There's a lot more going on than in your typical horror film if you're open enough to see it.
Course, there's always the other view too-my wife thought it was "silly". Sigh...

post #192 of 506 Old 08-08-2006, 12:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

my wife thought it was "silly". Sigh...

My wife is too afraid to see it!

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #193 of 506 Old 08-08-2006, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I think she was expecting a gorefest. After reading a couple of reviews I was feeling guilty because a lot of people mentioned the gore. This is the third film I've seen expecting a lot of gore from the reviews I've read, and then be left wondering what the shouting was about-Wolf Creek and Hostel are the other two. And they're not tame, but compared to the slasher/splatter films of the 80's there really isn't all that much to gross you out. My wife whispered to me a couple of times "I thought you said this was scary"- meaning she expected a lot of gore and blood. She can't handle that. I'm still wondering did they cut some out from the UK version?

post #194 of 506 Old 08-08-2006, 10:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
I think gory and scary are very unrelated. The Innocents and The Haunting (original) are 2 VERY scary films with no blood. The 80's slasher films were tame in comparison to this. I recently watched a bunch of the old Friday the 13th films and thought The Descent had MUCH more blood. But the editing is MUCH quicker so you only see it for an instant. The compound fracture scene alone... eeek.
Now the end of High Tension unrated, WOAH! That's gore!

post #195 of 506 Old 08-08-2006, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

oh, I agree with you completely. In fact, I would go even further-most gore isn't scary. It takes you out of the film, spoils the mood in most cases-and horror is all about mood. F13 is all about the gore, the camera almost lovingly lingering on the FX, to the point of stepping outside of the film. I remember seeing the 1st one on the night it came out, how shocking it was, girls screaming, guys vomiting...same thing happened at the original Dawn Of The Dead. But shock only takes you so far-if you don't care about the characters, who cares what happens to them? I'll take your word there is more blood in The. Descent than F13, but its such a part of the story it doesn't draw attention to itself. But yeah, the leg sequence was a squirmy moment, and very intense.

post #196 of 506 Old 08-08-2006, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
i screened this for a big group last week and everyone loved it. i guess people just have different tastes.

the part of the movie with spelunking and climbing was just as nerve racking as the latter part with the creatures.

there are just some movies that you either like or not.

niel marshall's other film "dog soldiers" is another one. kinda silly if you aren't a fan of the stuff ( werewolves ). well kinda silly even if you are i loved that one too!!

there is a point where too much nit picking would just about keep you from enjoying anything.
post #197 of 506 Old 08-08-2006, 02:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
I broke both bones in my lower leg back in high school so to this day any leg breaky stuff, ESPECIALLY when compounded with a compound get to me.

post #198 of 506 Old 08-08-2006, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

As my grandpappy used to say:

"No matter how deep the descent, its bound to be over somebody's head."

post #199 of 506 Old 08-09-2006, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

I think she was expecting a gorefest. After reading a couple of reviews I was feeling guilty because a lot of people mentioned the gore. This is the third film I've seen expecting a lot of gore from the reviews I've read, and then be left wondering what the shouting was about-Wolf Creek and Hostel are the other two. And they're not tame, but compared to the slasher/splatter films of the 80's there really isn't all that much to gross you out. My wife whispered to me a couple of times "I thought you said this was scary"- meaning she expected a lot of gore and blood. She can't handle that. I'm still wondering did they cut some out from the UK version?

I saw the UK version. Awesome horror flick. The best I've seen in a while. It sure felt like a gorefest btw. Lots of gruesome stuff happening. Looked superb on my CRT projector btw. You sure she was watching the same flick? lol. How much gore does she need? If she wants gore rent Dead Alive. Nothing else even comes close.

What is the US ending like? I'm guessing the gave it more a of a happy ending.

If you really want to check out a non horror/comedy (just plain horror) with plenty of gore check out The Hills Have Eyes (there was some gruesome scenes in his other film High Tension as well).
post #200 of 506 Old 08-09-2006, 09:23 AM

Quote:

What is the US ending like?

Look above. It's been mentioned a time or two.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #201 of 506 Old 08-09-2006, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I didn't think it was that gory either.

Spoiler  
I agree with some of what Fettastic said, the crawlers[yes they're not called the "whiteys"] were rather non scary looking and they were quiet frail, if a couple of chicks would kick their butts.

Is High Tension is out on DVD [R1]? I keep hearing about this film but somehow it went under my radar.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #202 of 506 Old 08-09-2006, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

Spoiler  
I agree with some of what Fettastic said, the crawlers[yes they're not called the "whiteys"] were rather non scary looking and they were quiet frail, if a couple of chicks would kick their butts.

Is High Tension is out on DVD [R1]? I keep hearing about this film but somehow it went under my radar.

Yeah, HT has been out for quite some time now.
post #203 of 506 Old 08-09-2006, 09:36 AM

High Tension R1 came out last October.

larry

post #204 of 506 Old 08-09-2006, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Spoiler  

That's one feature I liked..

Spoiler  
The crawlers/whiteys weren't super human (or maybe I should say super crawlers),they were killable, they were frail just like humans are frail. If you fought hard enough you had a chance. Unlike Jason/Freddy/etc.

post #205 of 506 Old 08-09-2006, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

[quote=Fettastic]
Quote:

There was a trailer of The Cave out at least 6 months prior to its release as well. At that point it looked cool. At that point it was unique. The CGI was the only thing The Cave had going for it and The Descent didn't even have that.
Spoiler  
Imagine The Cave with guys in elf suits instead of CGI monsters and that's The Descent.

The film was not remotely scary. I mean, we've established that these things can't see, even though they react to light. but apparently they can't smell or hear either because one of them was 2" away from a girl who sat there quivering and whimpering as it strolled on by. I mean, come on folks, HONESTLY!

I don't know if I understand you correctly but according to what was said in The Cave's DVD extras and also what has been discussed in other threads (The Cave vs. Pitch Black), The Cave have minimal, if none at all, CGI effects.

The creatures from the cave were not computer generated but puppets. The caves and the underwatter locations were all real, filmed with high definition digital cameras.

The quality of the picture and the cinematography is so good that it was reason enough for me to purchase the DVD and I consider it reference material.

Now I agree that the plot wasn't good but it wasn't that bad either.
post #206 of 506 Old 08-09-2006, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's one feature I liked..

Spoiler  
The crawlers/whiteys weren't super human (or maybe I should say super crawlers),they were killable, they were frail just like humans are frail. If you fought hard enough you had a chance. Unlike Jason/Freddy/etc.

Spoiler  
Based on th all the human remains they were quiet skilled, or they should had been. It's not about that they were super or not, but they had quiet an advantage, even though they were blind. They knew the territory, and they do this for a "living". The girls on the other hand while athletic, weren't "commandoes" if you know what I mean, not to mention the'y were outnumbered.but I guess they had to make a movie with what they had.

The Hun
post #207 of 506 Old 08-09-2006, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Is this High Tension you guys are talking about?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338095/

The Hun
post #208 of 506 Old 08-09-2006, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is this High Tension you guys are talking about?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338095/

Yes

post #209 of 506 Old 08-09-2006, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess I'm the one afraid it would be a gorefest, going by the reviews, and was feeling guilty about taking her. So I over prepared her for it, knowing she dislikes that kind of film.
But really M, you thought it was gory? The resetting of the fractured leg made me squirm a moment, but overall I thought it was a film that depended more on suspense than an excess of blood..And thats not a bad thing...
High Tension was really good I thought( although not as good as this) and I really have to watch the HHE remake-rented it twice without getting to it because...well, you know..

post #210 of 506 Old 08-10-2006, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Best Buy has High Tension for $3.99, but I'm afraid that's all it worth.My rental place only had the full screen version. This movie sucked!

The Hun
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page