Matador - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-25-2006, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd like to recommend "Matador" to everyone. It's an action/comedy about a burnt out hired killer (Pierce Brosnan) who befriends a down and out business man (Greg Kinnear). Its fascinating to see Brosnan in a completely different role than the James Bond type roles that we are accustomed to seeing him play. His performance is a reminder that he is a really good actor. The James Bond roles resulted in much fame and fortune but I wonder if those roles prevented him from receiving more recognition/credit as an actor.

It would be easy to describe the movie as a buddy movie but it's much more entertaining than that. There is a pretty neat twist at the end of the movie.

It hits the streets on July 3rd. It's worthwhile to see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2006, 12:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I caught this one tonight. I was very much in need of something mindless and light, but it was more substantial than I thought it would be. Piece Brosnan is really hilarious in this one in a number of scenes, and you never know when he's on the level or not. You are always wondering why the characters are reacting as they are, but it becomes clear eventually.

I guess it is a buddy movie in a wierd sort of sense, but definitely don't think it's a Lethal Weapon type buddy movie.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

Old 07-05-2006, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

I liked the movie too people really should pick this up on DVD.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Haven't seen this movie yet, but I second the notion that Pierce Brosnan can do comedy.
I saw him in that romantic comedy with Julieann Moore...he stole the show.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Old 07-05-2006, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I saw this one in the theaters. Good. I've know people like Brosnan's character, and he managed to describe someone with equal parts charm and lewdness to a tee.

CW Hinkle
Old 07-06-2006, 01:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Watched it tonight. It was different from what my expectations were after seeing the ads, but once I shifted gears I found it absorbing. Best GK has been I think. And lets not forget Hope=a great performance in a supporting role.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
Old 07-06-2006, 04:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Got to tell you guys...I watched it last night and found it dull and the story too far out there to accept. It was like Ned Flanders meets James Bond......and become buddy-buddy! IT was just to implausible a relationship and I couldn't get past it...

I was going to review it but had enough at 1.5 hours in, so turned it off.

My mini review was hot, over cooked, sloppy bass (simply way over the top but deep and pentrating to below 20 HZ!) and dialog that was recorded very hot with many hard 'S's and some intelligibility problems. Watched at -6 and that thunder storm just rocked my room!!! Little surround activity but a sound track that was all over the place. The video was good for the most part though there was some EE here and there. Good color saturation but some out of focus scenes..But that bass!!

INDIAN is next up on the review docket.

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
Old 07-06-2006, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I didn't get through more than half, but I really enjoyed it that far. Great vibe, very funny I loved the interaction between Kinear and Brosnan, and each of their characters. I can't wait to see the next half tonight.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 101
In the commentary, the director explained that they went back for some re-shoots in a couple places where the focus was a bit out, but in the end kept some of the original stuff, even though out of focus, because the performances were better.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

Old 07-06-2006, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Bland: As always you're dead on in how it sounds. (not that you need me to tell you that) I was kinda surprised by the low bass in this one too-and not in a good way. It didn't seem to fit the film very well except maybe in the bull fight scenes.
As far as the film-I'd pretty much agree with you there too if we had stopped watching when you did-and we were tempted to do just that. The ending saves it I think. Not really a twist, but it puts a different spin on the film. Makes you realize things aren't exactly the way they seemed and adds depth to the two main characters. Its worth plodding through to reach but I admit it takes an effort. Frankly, I thought most of the humor fell flat, so as a comedy I'd agree its not that good. But as a character study it works for me. Not a great film, but worth watching.
Can I say something about your reviews that just occurred to me? Its clear you have a great system, and great ears. But what really sets your reviews apart is how well you describe what you see and hear. Your descriptions are so concise and spot on that I have a good idea about what a film sounds like before watching. Helps a lot in choosing films to view. So, thanks.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
Old 07-06-2006, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Both my wife and I agree with the Bland review, boring, dull and not plausible.

Jon.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:41 PM

Liked: 123
Jeff! Shame on you. You endure 1.5 hours and can't stick around for the last 7 minutes?
Old 07-07-2006, 12:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yep, implausible is right...all black comedies are.
Which is why they are called BLACK comedies.
I enjoyed this, for the wackiness factor.
PB is terrific and as is HD.
The twist at the end worked for me.

And the sound was excellent IMO...particularly the falling tree.

Old 07-07-2006, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I just finished watching this movie and can honestly say I liked it a lot. Not only was the movie beautifully shot, I thought the story was very well done. And the very beginning part with the radio scared the **** out of me because I had my volume cranked, haha.

Panasonic 42PX75U Plasma
PS3 60 GB
Xbox 360 Elite
Toshiba HD-A2
Pioneer VSX-1018
Polk Audio RM6750
Old 07-07-2006, 12:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

......And the sound was excellent IMO...particularly the falling tree.

And the thunder and lighting sounded totally real......like it was just outside my window.

Panasonic 42PX75U Plasma
PS3 60 GB
Xbox 360 Elite
Toshiba HD-A2
Pioneer VSX-1018
Polk Audio RM6750
Old 07-07-2006, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick0716 View Post

And the thunder and lighting sounded totally real......like it was just outside my window.

This is the first DVD to have me diving for the remote ! the car exploding made me jump 3 feet,and as i recovered and thought this must just be an isolated LFE outburst i then felt myself ducking for cover as lightning struck our building, it sounded that reel and close!
All in all a good movie.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

Bland: As always you're dead on in how it sounds. (not that you need me to tell you that) I was kinda surprised by the low bass in this one too-and not in a good way. It didn't seem to fit the film very well except maybe in the bull fight scenes.
As far as the film-I'd pretty much agree with you there too if we had stopped watching when you did-and we were tempted to do just that. The ending saves it I think. Not really a twist, but it puts a different spin on the film. Makes you realize things aren't exactly the way they seemed and adds depth to the two main characters. Its worth plodding through to reach but I admit it takes an effort. Frankly, I thought most of the humor fell flat, so as a comedy I'd agree its not that good. But as a character study it works for me. Not a great film, but worth watching.
Can I say something about your reviews that just occurred to me? Its clear you have a great system, and great ears. But what really sets your reviews apart is how well you describe what you see and hear. Your descriptions are so concise and spot on that I have a good idea about what a film sounds like before watching. Helps a lot in choosing films to view. So, thanks.

Thanks for the kind words...I do appreciate it. I really like reviewing and critically listening as I try and do the type of reviews I have always looked for (but rarely could find).

This is a movie that I'd call the bass 'system threatenin'g with unfortunately a poor recording of dialog (mixed too hot and many sibilants).

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
Old 07-07-2006, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

This is a movie that I'd call the bass 'system threatening'.

Jeff,

You do realize that with a quote like that, AVS's SW addict Emaych, will be dropping in soon.

Old 07-07-2006, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony#1 View Post

Its fascinating to see Brosnan in a completely different role than the James Bond type roles that we are accustomed to seeing him play. His performance is a reminder that he is a really good actor. The James Bond roles resulted in much fame and fortune but I wonder if those roles prevented him from receiving more recognition/credit as an actor.

I really liked him as Remington Steele. I think he got the Bond role too late in his career (couldn't get out of the Remington contract) and it did hurt him IMO.

Matador was a good weeknight watch, not too long and a few good chuckles.

JohnG
Old 07-07-2006, 10:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Jeff,

You do realize that with a quote like that, AVS's SW addict Emaych, will be dropping in soon.

Emaych is a runner.....I'd tell him that only last week did I finally get to 40 miles...(he knows what I'm talking about)..

Yes, this recording is hot...particularly in the dialog and low end..

Old 07-08-2006, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Bass is definitely cooked during a few sequences, most notably...

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
when PB is seeing himself as a target. I thought my entertainment center was going to warp

I liked the movie quite a bit, a few chuckles, great performances, unusual story...

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

Old 07-08-2006, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

I liked the movie quite a bit, a few chuckles, great performances, unusual story...

I agree. Finally watched it all the way through and loved it. As you say, unusual story, fantastic performances, but more than a few chuckles for me. Laughs all the way through. Best movie in a long time.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Got to tell you guys...I watched it last night and found it dull and the story too far out there to accept. It was like Ned Flanders meets James Bond......and become buddy-buddy! IT was just to implausible a relationship and I couldn't get past it...

I was going to review it but had enough at 1.5 hours in, so turned it off.

My mini review was hot, over cooked, sloppy bass (simply way over the top but deep and pentrating to below 20 HZ!) and dialog that was recorded very hot with many hard 'S's and some intelligibility problems. Watched at -6 and that thunder storm just rocked my room!!! Little surround activity but a sound track that was all over the place. The video was good for the most part though there was some EE here and there. Good color saturation but some out of focus scenes..But that bass!!

INDIAN is next up on the review docket.

Totally agree I couldn't get through the movie aswell, very boring and dull. and the characters ddin't drag me in at all.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

This movie didn't capture my attention. As others said, it was dull and boring. Pierce Brosnan's previous movie 'After the Sunset' http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367479/ with Salma Hayek was way better.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Wow. My reaction was the complete opposite. I thought it was anything but boring or dull. I thought Bronsan was great in the role. There was something about the character that was likeable even though he was a hardened assasin. I loved the tension in the relationship between the two main characters. I also liked the ending.

This movie is high on my list.

Skip
Old 07-11-2006, 08:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I did mange to finish this the following night....Oddly it was my wife taht wanted to see the end..

But to no avail, I was left more firm in my critique of this film...dull.

Old 07-11-2006, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 328
I didn't regret watching the movie this weekend, but I didn't think it was anything special.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
Old 07-11-2006, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGZ28 View Post

I really liked him as Remington Steele.

Me too !

Old 07-11-2006, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought this was very good movie. I enjoyed it a lot.

I went into it as a Bond parody... well parody is not the best word... more of an alternate reality Bond. Being a big Bond fan I thought it worked rather well as a "what if Bond had not been recruited by MI5, but by a seedy hitman outfit".

I loved the random sequences on Brosnans character.... they were hilarious and sad at the same time.

Spoiler  
Speedo's + cowboy boots through the hotels lobby etc

My guess is that the bigger a Bond fan you are, the more kicks you will get out of Matador.

- Rick
Old 07-11-2006, 06:54 PM

I'm in the "very good" catagory. We both enjoyed it alot. I am the first to agree that the bass was very hot, but I'm a admitted "bass junkie", so that didnt bother me one little bit.

Ferrets are Family/ Ferrets Corner