post #61 of 86 Old 01-30-2007, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eweiss View Post

The Philip Glass score for The Illusionist is one of the film's selling points, IMO.

Any film can have a Phillip Glass score. Just get a hammer. Now pretend that hammer represents a short, banal musical phrase. Hit yourself in the head with it at precise 3 second intervals. After a minute, add a second hammer. Eventually you will pass out. Viola!

(To simulate earlier Glass, repeat the phrase "ahh-AHH! ahh-AHH" in time as you hit yourself.)

Don't taze me, bro!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 86 Old 02-01-2007, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I think Phillip Glass scores work well for movies and lend them a certain amount of dramatic tension (Koyaanisqaatsi, The Last Emperor). But musically there isn't much going on there besides a repeated phrase. Say "doodily-doodily" over and over again, and you're singing a Phillip Glass score.

I thought the movie was a nice underappreciated gem.

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
post #63 of 86 Old 02-02-2007, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I must say I enjoyed this more than I did The Prestige, which was overhyped.
post #64 of 86 Old 02-02-2007, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok now I've seen both movies recently.

My gf and I watched this movie a couple of nights ago. She enjoyed it perhaps a bit more than I did. Like many movies I'm frequently dissatisfied with how movies show the connection that fuels falling in love. The connection was there as children but we never really had a chance to see why or revel in the qualities of each that caused the love to blossom. 15 yrs later we have the reunion and again the love blossoms but why?

Rufus Sewel plays a good nemesis but his power was ameliorated by the presence of Giamattis character. You sensed that he could get wicked if he wanted to but abstained from such action. This IMO dimnished the power and influence of the Prince.

The ending was satisfying to me although a bit predictable. I enjoyed both "prestidigitator" movies although I rank The Prestige an A- and the Illusionist a B. I'd gladly own both movies as the acting was superlative.
post #65 of 86 Old 02-15-2007, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 40
This movie made a PERFECT Valentine's day flick.

Very good acting all around, story keep me intrigued. Still wish I had seen it sooner.
post #66 of 86 Old 02-19-2007, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Well,
I enjoyed the score. And this movie was much 'cleaner' than prestige. I thought prestige was just dirty and the characters were so base that it wasn't pleasant to watch them. Here the scenery and plotline were much more enjoyabe.

Seth

my signature < -- While that looks simple enough, click it for answers to many a question.
post #67 of 86 Old 02-19-2007, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Terrific movie, one of the best in the last few years. Music score was perfect and I enjoyed meeting all of the characters.

In-Walls! Manufacturers Please Speak Out.
post #68 of 86 Old 02-19-2007, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
the real magician movie comes out tomorrow!
post #69 of 86 Old 02-21-2007, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Over in the Plasma forum, on the Panasonic PX6 etc. thread, we're having a discussion about false contouring, smearing, and clayface that some of us are seeing. One example several of us have noticed is in the DVD for the Illusionist, where we see a lot of false contouring in dark scenes with large dark backgrounds.

Has anyone else, either with a Panasonic, or with any other kind of display, noticed it on this DVD?

Thanks,
Doug
post #70 of 86 Old 02-21-2007, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

Over in the Plasma forum, on the Panasonic PX6 etc. thread, we're having a discussion about false contouring, smearing, and clayface that some of us are seeing. One example several of us have noticed is in the DVD for the Illusionist, where we see a lot of false contouring in dark scenes with large dark backgrounds.

Has anyone else, either with a Panasonic, or with any other kind of display, noticed it on this DVD?

Thanks,
Doug

57" here and I thought the PQ was nice. CRT-RP dont know if that helps any
post #71 of 86 Old 02-26-2007, 02:53 PM

a better title for this film is the anesthesiologist....because it will put you right to sleep.

my goodness what a bore. even though the prestige was contrived and hard to follow it was at least engaging and interesting.
post #72 of 86 Old 02-26-2007, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbottom16 View Post

a better title for this film is the anesthesiologist....because it will put you right to sleep.

my goodness what a bore. even though the prestige was contrived and hard to follow it was at least engaging and interesting.

Filter out the Philip Glass score and turn up the dialogue real loud!!
post #73 of 86 Old 02-26-2007, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
The wife and I watched it this weekend and both really enjoyed it. We haven't seen The Prestige yet, so don't know if we'll like it as much or not, but it'll have to be excellent in order to surpass The Illusionist in our view. A different type of movie than we usually watch, but well worth it.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #74 of 86 Old 02-27-2007, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm surprised by all the tough posts on this one! I saw it just after watching "the Prestige", and liked it so much better. I could see what was coming, but loved how it played out.

And YES...
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
The technology WAS there at this time to do these illusions in the film. They would have been difficult, but possible with the use of projectors and the "Pepper's Ghost" stage technique (like those used in the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland/World).
but I give the film tremendous credit for the ambiguity and not trying to spell out the secrets. For once a movie assumed it had an intelligent audience.

This is near the top of my list for best movies I've seen from 2006.
post #75 of 86 Old 02-28-2007, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp8192 View Post

And YES...
Spoiler  
The technology WAS there at this time to do these illusions in the film. They would have been difficult, but possible with the use of projectors and the "Pepper's Ghost" stage technique (like those used in the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland/World).

I don't see any way that
Spoiler  
he could have produced an illusion of the boy walking down the aisle, with people reaching out and passing their hands through him. Illusions on the stage are one thing, but moving past and through people isn't something that could have been done back then, or even today.

Pepper's ghost requires a plate of glass, and projectors require something to be projected against. To have either of those two move through an audience would be impossible to do without discovering the secret or looking obviously fake. Not to mention someone putting their hand right through the illusion.
I do agree that it was one of last year's best films, though.

Scott

post #76 of 86 Old 03-08-2007, 09:38 AM

Liked: 90
My wife and I saw this last night. The Cinematography was beautiful. The cast was excellent and I really enjoyed the story.
Edward Norton certainly is a chameleon. He exudes the confidence of a highly skilled magician and appears to be one. Jessica Biel is beautiful (no surprise there) and delivers a completely believable performance. Rufus Sewell is great as the antagonist; I do wish he could be allowed to portray someone who is not "evil at heart". His work in Dark City was not a presage of what roles awaited him, he was excellent in that.
Paul Giamatti, as always, completely grounds the movie with a strong sense of reality.
The Phillip Glass score was perfect. I never noticed that it was a "Phillip Glass score". It was no Koyanniqatsi. (BTW, I liked his score of Koyanniqatsi, but I don't want to listen to it w/o the visuals. )

I was glad they kept the look of the film as one of "legendary past".
All I will say about the ending was that I was satisfied. I think this movie did have magic. It was one of best movies I've seen in quite some time.
Spoiler  
What's so bad about feeling good?

I'm looking forward to The Prestige now.
post #77 of 86 Old 03-09-2007, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post

I'm looking forward to The Prestige now.

FWIW, these are 2 very different movies, and I myself enjoyed the Illusionist more, precisely for the sentiment you put in spoilers.
post #78 of 86 Old 03-09-2007, 09:08 AM
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
This was a beautiful movie and although it is a love story it is also a drama/mystery with plenty of tension and it keeps your attention. Unless you are a Grinch and a nitpicker you will enjoy it greatly .
post #79 of 86 Old 03-10-2007, 10:22 PM

people keep saying how good the cinematography is in this film. im sorry but most of the film looked as if it was filmed at knotts berry farm.
post #80 of 86 Old 03-10-2007, 10:35 PM

???

It was filmed (quite beautifully, I thought) in Prague.
post #81 of 86 Old 03-11-2007, 04:58 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Yes, the video was quite good but "stylized" to portray the era and that will probably turn off some people.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #82 of 86 Old 03-11-2007, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Yes, the video was quite good but "stylized" to portray the era and that will probably turn off some people.

larry

True. I thought he meant the "surroundings".
There have been some films lately (can't think of them right now) that have done something different during processing to bring out the silvery-blues inherent in Film stock. It can look striking, almost metallic.

Of course with digital processing any look is possible.
post #83 of 86 Old 03-11-2007, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SbWillie View Post

the real magician movie comes out tomorrow!

If you're talking about "The Prestige", I hardley think that movie qualifies as a 'magician' movie. The injected 'Sci-Fi' aspects put the movie over the top in my book.

post #84 of 86 Old 03-12-2007, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

Thanks,
Doug

Saw the movie over the weekend, agree that the DVD's video quality is not very good when comparing to many recent releases. On my 42" Samsung plasma (1080i upconvert via HDMI), the picture is soft, dark and lacks detail...but the movie is pretty good.
post #85 of 86 Old 03-12-2007, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 174
I gave The Illusionist 2 1/2 stars and The Prestige 3 1/2 stars. I never really bought into the magic within The Illusionist and knew the ending from the first clue... which doesn't happen often with me! However with The Prestige I played along the entire time and the ending actually created interest.
post #86 of 86 Old 07-15-2007, 01:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I just saw this and rather enjoyed it. I agree that the ending is telegraphed fairly clearly, but the performances and direction are well done and worth watching. I especially liked:
Spoiler  
the "sword trick" performed in front of the prince's guests. The prince considers himself too smart for Eisenheim, but it's here where he realizes the man is actually a threat. The interplay between the two was wonderful to watch.
I was slightly distracted by Phillip Glass's score. I thought his style was superbly suited to the "Qaatsi" films, but the same style of repeating rythmic patterns occasionally lifted me out of this movie by reminding me of those films.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page