The BEST Movies Nobody Has Heard Of? - Page 7 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 5  6  7 8  9  ... Last
Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion > The BEST Movies Nobody Has Heard Of?
chirpie's Avatar chirpie 11:19 AM 09-09-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhan View Post

That piece of crap should stay unknown. It's another attempt using Carradine to cash in on Bruce Lee's idea and script "The Silent Flute".

Bullsh*t Mr. Han-man! ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
mrhan's Avatar mrhan 11:23 AM 09-09-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post

Bullsh*t Mr. Han-man! ;-)

LOL

I'll just have to get Bolo to take care of you!
Boogie7910's Avatar Boogie7910 11:00 AM 09-10-2006
The Long Kiss Goodnight

Geena Davis, and Samuel L. Jackson

The movie is action packed and Sam is hillarious.
TimmyH's Avatar TimmyH 11:49 AM 09-10-2006
I agree, Long Kiss Goodnight is a really fun (and funny) film, I purchased it a few years back and watch it a couple times a year.
zoebisch's Avatar zoebisch 05:55 AM 09-11-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhan View Post

That piece of crap should stay unknown. It's another attempt using Carradine to cash in on Bruce Lee's idea and script "The Silent Flute".

I liked if for the sole reason that it recalls "The Silent Flute". I think it gives good insight to Lee's philosophical idealogy. I personally don't care for Carradine myself, which is why I never really got into 'Kung Fu". At any rate, it has been a very long time since I have seen the film but I do recall it being a good story. The acting I cannot recall that well.
dwisniski's Avatar dwisniski 05:59 AM 09-11-2006
O Brother Where Art Thou

One of my favorite movies, never fails to entertain me and crack me up. A real sleeper many haven't seen.
fisheggs's Avatar fisheggs 08:10 PM 09-11-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebisch View Post

Ok this may not classify as "Unknown"...but it is probably on the list destined to become 'unknown'. Currently in the theaters and most people I know haven't even heard of it. "A Scanner Darkly". If you get a chance...see it. When I saw it there was like 5 other people in the cine. Very good film, imo.


A few more I thought of:

Circle of Iron
Something Wicked This Way Comes

Does anyone know the title of a film which takes place (I believe) in England as sort of a dark futuristic film? Mostly little kids in it, they are always playing "kick-the-can" ( I think) and it is never sunny. May have had "sunshine" in the title (maybe not). One day the sun comes out and nobody can believe it. I seem to remember it making a big impression on me for some reason, but I only saw it that once when I was a kid and cannot remember the name. Probably released in the late 70's. (maybe hehe)





I think you might be thinking of this, "All Summer in a Day" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0195517/
dazz87's Avatar dazz87 08:26 PM 09-11-2006
Once were Warriors and City of God.
sdlehman's Avatar sdlehman 09:06 PM 09-11-2006
Cut Throat Island
The Postman
Mom & Dad Save the World
The Shadow

Stace
FredProgGH's Avatar FredProgGH 09:11 PM 09-11-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlehman View Post

Cut Throat Island
The Postman
Mom & Dad Save the World
The Shadow

Stace

Honestly, I can't tell- this is sarcasm, right??
GreySkies's Avatar GreySkies 05:53 AM 09-12-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwisniski View Post

O Brother Where Art Thou

One of my favorite movies, never fails to entertain me and crack me up. A real sleeper many haven't seen.

Most of the Coen Brothers' films seem to fall outside of the mainstream, and outside of their dedicated core fans, not many people seem to remember the films. I like to think of how this movie was pitched-- "So what we want to do is a retelling of The Odyssey, only in the depression-era South-- and it's going to be a comedy-- a musical comedy with old-timey country music."
zoebisch's Avatar zoebisch 06:36 AM 09-12-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheggs View Post

I think you might be thinking of this, "All Summer in a Day" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0195517/

Hey yeah, I think that might be it! Thanks!

Ah Bradbury had a hand in it. Now it makes sense, the mood of the film that is.
DigitalOBX's Avatar DigitalOBX 08:49 AM 09-12-2006
The Martian Chronicles - I remember seeing this on network TV years ago....have not see it since.....I thought it was pretty cool mini series....
dwisniski's Avatar dwisniski 05:17 PM 09-14-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreySkies View Post

Most of the Coen Brothers' films seem to fall outside of the mainstream, and outside of their dedicated core fans, not many people seem to remember the films. I like to think of how this movie was pitched-- "So what we want to do is a retelling of The Odyssey, only in the depression-era South-- and it's going to be a comedy-- a musical comedy with old-timey country music."

Yeah, everybody I've turned on to this movie has absolutely loved it, unfortuantely it just came and went when it was released and went by virtually unnoticed. A real gem, one of my fav's.
Elmo Oxygen's Avatar Elmo Oxygen 10:58 PM 09-14-2006
Brain Damage
Drive
I. M. Fletcher's Avatar I. M. Fletcher 11:17 PM 09-14-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreySkies View Post

Most of the Coen Brothers' films seem to fall outside of the mainstream, and outside of their dedicated core fans, not many people seem to remember the films. I like to think of how this movie was pitched-- "So what we want to do is a retelling of The Odyssey, only in the depression-era South-- and it's going to be a comedy-- a musical comedy with old-timey country music."



A real sleeper? Huh? I don't know a single person who hasn't seen that movie. It won Oscars and it's on cable every 10 minutes.
smfchris's Avatar smfchris 02:48 AM 09-15-2006
How about

Revenge (Kevin Costner & Madeleine Stowe)
Heaven Help Us (Andrew McCarthy)
Shining Through (Michael Douglas & Melanie Griffith)
Threesome (Lara Flynn-Boyle)
GreySkies's Avatar GreySkies 07:18 AM 09-15-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by I. M. Fletcher View Post

A real sleeper? Huh? I don't know a single person who hasn't seen that movie. It won Oscars and it's on cable every 10 minutes.

Soundtrack won Grammys, but I don't remember it winning an Oscar.
I. M. Fletcher's Avatar I. M. Fletcher 07:43 AM 09-15-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreySkies View Post

Soundtrack won Grammys, but I don't remember it winning an Oscar.


Your right. It didn't win, but it was nominated for a couple.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0190590/awards
NMAS's Avatar NMAS 01:32 PM 09-15-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOBX View Post

The Martian Chronicles - I remember seeing this on network TV years ago....have not see it since.....I thought it was pretty cool mini series....

Yeah, I've been keeping my eyes open for that as well.

Hey I've vacation in the OBX the last two years, love it!
mbw23air's Avatar mbw23air 09:38 AM 09-17-2006
Here are a few I liked, some of them might not qualify as obscure but rather as just not mainstream:

Shaun of the Dead - One of the best zombie movies ever made. And it's funny too.
Dead & Breakfast - gotta like Horror movies that break out into a song.
Ong Bak - Excellent martial arts film.
Haute Tension(High Tension) - Great edge of your seat thriller.
District B13 - Recent action film that rocks.

Mike
thumperxr69's Avatar thumperxr69 02:13 PM 09-17-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMO View Post

Another vote for " The Ninth Configuration"

Wow....

I received this movie through BB and watched about an hour of it last night. Horribly boring. Not scary... To each his own but thumbs down from me.

T
NoThru22's Avatar NoThru22 12:41 PM 09-18-2006
I second District B13. Another one that actually belongs on this list.

I question Shaun of the Dead, but not because of it's quality. My mom saw that one without my recommendation.

Ong Bak is also fairly well-known among the college crowds. I had a hard time making through the beginning because of the picture quality, but I'll try again soon.
Lupusapien's Avatar Lupusapien 02:32 AM 09-21-2006
The Japanese flim, "After Life"

A group of recently dead people find themselves in a building where they are greated by social-worker types. They are told that they have three days to choose one memory-one moment from their life, and then they will be helped in recreating it on film. At the end of the three days, they are to watch the films, and then that memory (or rather film of the memory) is the only thing they take with them into eternity.

A gem of a movie.
joker`afk's Avatar joker`afk 08:54 AM 09-21-2006
A couple years ago I saw A Shot in the Face on TMN and loved it. I taped it but it later taped over by my parents with golf and haven't seen it since.

It's a movie about a guy who's lazy, and then inherits money that removes any motivation he might have been forced into having. He meets a girl, who's a bit crazy, and they spend the weekend together. Their story is my favourite part, but the insulting neighbours and the insane robber, played by Nicholas Lea of X-Files fame, are hilarious (In every scene the robber is in he threatens to shoot somebody in the face) and perfect additions .

The movie seems to only be available on VHS (yuck) by writing the production company, and it's not cheap. If you get any chance to see this movie, take it. And if you find any way to get it on DVD let me know.
Gene Simmons's Avatar Gene Simmons 12:43 PM 09-28-2006
Elephant Shoes - a very low budget indie about a couple that meet and have an entire relationship in one day, really clever.

Me You And Everyone Else We Know - excellent film, Baumbach dreams about making movies like this.

And because I never hear anyone ever talk about it - Outside Providence. The casting and story is terrific, and Baldwin is awesome as a "knucklehead" dad.
blkacklover's Avatar blkacklover 12:58 PM 09-28-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsteraudio View Post

The Beast (war movie)



Hell yes.

I have seen this movie 1 time. It was on HBO years ago, more than a decade ago I think. I have looked for it in the TV listings off and on since then and never seen it aired again.

There is a DVD of it out but it's supposedly a very poor transfer. I sent an email to Criterion telling them to do this movie justice.
MovieNerd's Avatar MovieNerd 01:32 PM 09-28-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkacklover View Post

Hell yes.

I have seen this movie 1 time. It was on HBO years ago, more than a decade ago I think. I have looked for it in the TV listings off and on since then and never seen it aired again.

There is a DVD of it out but it's supposedly a very poor transfer. I sent an email to Criterion telling them to do this movie justice.

I have a copy of the Beast on DVD and you are right it is a terrible transfer. It is still worth seeing since it is a great movie.
jeahrens's Avatar jeahrens 02:17 PM 09-28-2006
My obscure film pick has got to be "The Kentucky Fried Movie". The Zucker brothers first film (Airplane, Naked Gun, etc) which was directed by John Landis. I can't count the number of people I have introduced to this movie. I have their gratitude

I will also agree with "The Thing" and "Secondhand Lions". Both are great films that few have seen.
bvader's Avatar bvader 04:40 PM 09-28-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post

My obscure film pick has got to be "The Kentucky Fried Movie". The Zucker brothers first film (Airplane, Naked Gun, etc) which was directed by John Landis. I can't count the number of people I have introduced to this movie. I have their gratitude

I will also agree with "The Thing" and "Secondhand Lions". Both are great films that few have seen.

If you mention Kentucky Fried... you must mention "The Groove Tube".... Thats where Weekend Update of SNL came from...

But

My Pick early John Sayles film...starring Joe Morton...

The Brother from Another Planet...smart movie...
First ... 5  6  7 8  9  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop