Saving Private Ryan , DTS VERSION - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 56 Old 11-07-2006, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
John Ballentine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Los Angeles, Ca.
Posts: 5,084
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Incredible film! I have both the Dolby Digital and DTS versions. The DTS is clearly my favorite version/mix. Can't wait for the HD version - hopefully w/ DTS-MA.

Widescreen Review of the DTS version soundtrack:
The DTS® Digital Surround soundtrack projects a realistic sense of immediacy and exceptionally conveys the dimensionality, depth and impact of the intended sound mix. The sound is incredibly coherent with a seamlessly integrated holosonic soundfield that projects pinpoint delineation and realistic sidewall and center back surround phantom imaging. Interchannel detail is articulate for overall clarity. This soundtrack is a powerhouse of intensity. For over 24 minutes continuously you will experience the most dramatic and full scale SPL holosonic soundfield of any motion picture soundtrack yet to be produced. No other soundtrack to date, whether DTS Digital Surround or Dolby Digital encoded, has delivered such a dimensionally spatial sound sculpture with such breathtaking and intensely emotional impact. The sound breathes life into the stunning imagery, in this case, sadly, war depicted in intimate combat at Omaha Beach. Bullets whiz by in all directions, explosives impact throughout the soundfield, machine gun fire emanates from the split surrounds and you feel the deeply powerful bass, intensified by the full scale .1 LFE at below 25Hz. Even the surround channels are driven full scale SPL at below 25Hz. This is a soundtrack that is capable of damaging audio systems not capable of intense full scale 25Hz bass. It is a soundtrack that demands full range loudspeaker capability in all channels! No single subwoofer directed by bass management can project the bass-energized holosonic imaging this soundtrack creates. You are immersed in the holosonic soundfield for what seems endless. Even shots underwater are felt and heard with a realism that is breathtaking. The John Williams music score, recorded and mixed by Shawn Murphy, is sweeping and dynamic with a deep soundstage and an expansive presence that extends well into the surrounds. The DTS encoding reveals subtle harmonic textures and distinctive directionalized soundfield energy. The sound perspective shifts perfectly in accord with the picture angles for effective localization. Low frequency effects are natural sounding yet at times extremely powerful. Dialogue is disappointing because it is almost entirely ADR-produced and is wanting in natural spatial integration. But then this is a challenging feat considering that the dialogue takes place largely on battlefields, open countrysides and shelled towns. In scenes with pounding rain, the sound is enveloping and able to create chills. And what wonderful extended dimension is created by the back center phantom channel! Listen for the center back fly-overs by the P-51s with your Surround EX-type processor engaged. The sound is exhilarating. There are instances when dialogue emanates from a surround channel amidst aggressive soundfield envelopment that is very effective. There is so much to celebrate with this sound design. This spatially dynamic soundfield experience ranks among the greatest soundtracks of all time. The richly spatial holosonic soundfield is what we have always advocated and enthusiastically applaud here. While we wonder what subtleties in the audio would be revealed had DreamWorks opted to encode at 1536 kbps, for those fortunate enough to have DTS Digital Surround processing capability, the 768 kbps DTS DVD release will for now have to serve as the definitive soundtrack for Saving Private Ryan.

This Disc Contains The Following WSR-Rated Superb Qualities:
Collector Edition
Reference Quality
Superb Cinematography
Superb Special Visual Effects Quality
Superb Music Score Recording Quality
Superb Sound Effects Recording Quality
John Ballentine is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 56 Old 11-07-2006, 08:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Finalheaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I too have the DTS version. I went HD, upscaled, and Big Screen after the printing of the DTS version of Saving Private Ryan, so I had a dilemma in getting one. I basically searched every Best Buy and Target I could find. Eventually, I got lucky and found one at a Best Buy.

Whatever you do, don't give up and settle for the Dolby version. If you have the screen and sound to support it, you'll thank yourself later for holding out until you found the DTS version.
Finalheaven is offline  
post #33 of 56 Old 11-07-2006, 12:54 PM
Member
 
Greybeard191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
dts versions are available for sale on eBay

GB
Greybeard191 is offline  
post #34 of 56 Old 11-07-2006, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
thehun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Wine country CA
Posts: 7,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine View Post

Incredible film! I have both the Dolby Digital and DTS versions. The DTS is clearly my favorite version/mix. Can't wait for the HD version - hopefully w/ DTS-MA.

Widescreen Review of the DTS version soundtrack:
The DTS® Digital Surround soundtrack projects a realistic sense of immediacy and exceptionally conveys the dimensionality, depth and impact of the intended sound mix. The sound is incredibly coherent with a seamlessly integrated holosonic soundfield that projects pinpoint delineation and realistic sidewall and center back surround phantom imaging. Interchannel detail is articulate for overall clarity. This soundtrack is a powerhouse of intensity. For over 24 minutes continuously you will experience the most dramatic and full scale SPL holosonic soundfield of any motion picture soundtrack yet to be produced. No other soundtrack to date, whether DTS Digital Surround or Dolby Digital encoded, has delivered such a dimensionally spatial sound sculpture with such breathtaking and intensely emotional impact. The sound breathes life into the stunning imagery, in this case, sadly, war depicted in intimate combat at Omaha Beach. Bullets whiz by in all directions, explosives impact throughout the soundfield, machine gun fire emanates from the split surrounds and you feel the deeply powerful bass, intensified by the full scale .1 LFE at below 25Hz. Even the surround channels are driven full scale SPL at below 25Hz. This is a soundtrack that is capable of damaging audio systems not capable of intense full scale 25Hz bass. It is a soundtrack that demands full range loudspeaker capability in all channels! No single subwoofer directed by bass management can project the bass-energized holosonic imaging this soundtrack creates. You are immersed in the holosonic soundfield for what seems endless. Even shots underwater are felt and heard with a realism that is breathtaking. The John Williams music score, recorded and mixed by Shawn Murphy, is sweeping and dynamic with a deep soundstage and an expansive presence that extends well into the surrounds. The DTS encoding reveals subtle harmonic textures and distinctive directionalized soundfield energy. The sound perspective shifts perfectly in accord with the picture angles for effective localization. Low frequency effects are natural sounding yet at times extremely powerful. Dialogue is disappointing because it is almost entirely ADR-produced and is wanting in natural spatial integration. But then this is a challenging feat considering that the dialogue takes place largely on battlefields, open countrysides and shelled towns. In scenes with pounding rain, the sound is enveloping and able to create chills. And what wonderful extended dimension is created by the back center phantom channel! Listen for the center back fly-overs by the P-51s with your Surround EX-type processor engaged. The sound is exhilarating. There are instances when dialogue emanates from a surround channel amidst aggressive soundfield envelopment that is very effective. There is so much to celebrate with this sound design. This spatially dynamic soundfield experience ranks among the greatest soundtracks of all time. The richly spatial holosonic soundfield is what we have always advocated and enthusiastically applaud here. While we wonder what subtleties in the audio would be revealed had DreamWorks opted to encode at 1536 kbps, for those fortunate enough to have DTS Digital Surround processing capability, the 768 kbps DTS DVD release will for now have to serve as the definitive soundtrack for Saving Private Ryan.

This Disc Contains The Following WSR-Rated Superb Qualities:
Collector Edition
Reference Quality
Superb Cinematography
Superb Special Visual Effects Quality
Superb Music Score Recording Quality
Superb Sound Effects Recording Quality

WSR rates anything superb as long as it has a DTS track on it. Nuff said!

The Hun
thehun is offline  
post #35 of 56 Old 11-17-2006, 07:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Nachosgrande's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just purchased DTS version on Amazon used for $8. Will have to compare with Anniversary Edition which was supposed to be the latest and greatest a few years back. You would have thought that the deluxe edition would have the best soundtrack!!!
Nachosgrande is offline  
post #36 of 56 Old 11-17-2006, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Digital2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 2,779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
lol
anyway the laserdisc DD is ABSOLUTE REFERENCE and when you think it's most likely only 383 kbps....
imagine the HD DVD (Universal) in DD+ or D TRUE HD !!!
Digital2004 is offline  
post #37 of 56 Old 11-17-2006, 11:56 AM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 13,182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Or if Dreamworks does Blu-ray and we get SPR in PCM...that would be better than anything...well, other than maybe a 24/96khz PCM track.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

 

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Scott Simonian is online now  
post #38 of 56 Old 11-17-2006, 02:37 PM
ekb
AVS Special Member
 
ekb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Lawrenceville, NJ
Posts: 4,186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Or if Dreamworks does Blu-ray and we get SPR in PCM...that would be better than anything...well, other than maybe a 24/96khz PCM track.

Hey Scott - you never commented on my post #12.

Ed
ekb is offline  
post #39 of 56 Old 11-17-2006, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Shane Martin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Tulsa, Ok USA
Posts: 1,881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


I have a feeling that was the theatrical direct transfer,[standard parctice for LDs] and the dvd's got the "remixed for home" versions, of course the DTS was "sweetened" to "advance" the format no doubt by shareholder Spielberg's request, just like the JP DTS LD

No doubt.
Shane Martin is offline  
post #40 of 56 Old 11-17-2006, 09:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Spongeworthy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Schenectady, NY
Posts: 258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

I do. It's much better than the DD version.

I've never sampled the DD version, but the DTS is reference quality sound-wise. If anyone needs a demo of how good surround and LFE can be in service of a film, this disc fills the bill better than any other.

Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% fatality rate.
Spongeworthy is offline  
post #41 of 56 Old 11-18-2006, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
thehun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Wine country CA
Posts: 7,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongeworthy View Post

I've never sampled the DD version, but the DTS is reference quality sound-wise. If anyone needs a demo of how good surround and LFE can be in service of a film, this disc fills the bill better than any other.

I agree as long as your reference stops at 30hz for bass. If you wanna demo true bass, move on to Black Hawk Down.

The Hun
thehun is offline  
post #42 of 56 Old 11-18-2006, 12:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Spongeworthy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Schenectady, NY
Posts: 258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

I agree as long as your reference stops at 30hz for bass. If you wanna demo true bass, move on to Black Hawk Down.

My Hsu STF-2 doesn't go low enough. If I ever get the STF-3, BHD will be tops on my list. Still, on my system the approach of the Panzer and Tiger divisions at the end of SPR is what great LFE is all about.

Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% fatality rate.
Spongeworthy is offline  
post #43 of 56 Old 11-19-2006, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
thehun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Wine country CA
Posts: 7,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
If you stick with HSU get that turbo thingy[VTF3?], of course no single 12" sub can do justice to BHD, but it's a start.

The Hun
thehun is offline  
post #44 of 56 Old 01-04-2007, 06:39 PM
Member
 
majewski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just watched this movie it's amazing the DTS sound is awesome. Anyone interested in my Saving Private Ryan DTS DVD it's in excellent condition. You have to have PayPal
majewski is offline  
post #45 of 56 Old 01-04-2007, 10:52 PM
Senior Member
 
nomad139's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Capital District NY USA
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I watched about an hour of this landmark movie last night for the first time in a while. Watched on my new projector & rear surrounds that I got for Christmas. All I can say is WOW!!!!!

The DTS sound just comes at you from everywhere.

The emotion level that this movie brings in the first place is quite high, but DTS, 104" screen, and a truly surrounding sound makes me wish that I saw this at the theater. At least I get to see it whenever I want now.

I will ABSOLUTELY be using this DVD as one of my "show off" movies. If you don't have it in your collection already, wait for a sale & buy it (or suck up the few extra $ and buy it anyway). You will alternate between tears of joy at the sound experience & tears of sorrow at what your eyes see on the screen.
nomad139 is offline  
post #46 of 56 Old 01-05-2007, 03:13 PM
Member
 
majewski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can't believe how amazing the sound is on this movie as well.

Let's just imagine in the next 10 years we'll be watching movies at home on 200 inch screens with resolution 1080p being as old as 480i. There are going to be minimum 8 speakers. Advancement in technology is really scary. I like the "I Robot" movie because it seems that in the future robots will replace us some day. I am glad I won't live to see that day.
majewski is offline  
post #47 of 56 Old 01-05-2007, 04:17 PM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 13,182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Quote:


Shouldn't the DD+HD or DTS-MA have the identical end result as the PCM? If those are truely lossless compression schemes, they will decode to the equivalent PCM.

Sorry, ekb, I missed this thread for a while....

I think if the algorithm was perfect then, yes, it would be the same as PCM. I perfer the uncompressed soundtrack over a folded "theoretical" PCM track. Just a a pet peeve. Yeah, they are "bit-for-bit" identical. But they are being processed by the decoder instead of just a pass-through.

Honestly, Ive never heard any of the new lossless formats so I really have no place to be saying anything about the quality of either....

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

 

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Scott Simonian is online now  
post #48 of 56 Old 01-05-2007, 07:51 PM
ekb
AVS Special Member
 
ekb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Lawrenceville, NJ
Posts: 4,186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

I think if the algorithm was perfect then, yes, it would be the same as PCM. I perfer the uncompressed soundtrack over a folded "theoretical" PCM track. Just a a pet peeve. Yeah, they are "bit-for-bit" identical. But they are being processed by the decoder instead of just a pass-through.

I can understand your scepticism since I'm the eternal sceptic. But this process is essentially identical to compressing a data file on a computer (eg zipping) and we know that the unzipping process restores the exact original file since otherwise it "wouldn't work". But on the other hand, zipping and unzipping is not a real time application like decoding the DD trueHD - so maybe you have a point.

Ed
ekb is offline  
post #49 of 56 Old 01-06-2007, 12:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
thehun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Wine country CA
Posts: 7,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekb View Post

I can understand your scepticism since I'm the eternal sceptic. But this process is essentially identical to compressing a data file on a computer (eg zipping) and we know that the unzipping process restores the exact original file since otherwise it "wouldn't work". But on the other hand, zipping and unzipping is not a real time application like decoding the DD trueHD - so maybe you have a point.

Ed

MLP for DVD-A is a same thing, It's Packed PCM or PPCM.Nobody complains about it's sound quality either.

The Hun
thehun is offline  
post #50 of 56 Old 01-08-2007, 05:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Nachosgrande's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does anyone have any info regarding DTS version of SPR which have errors on them? I remeber seeing a post awhile back but cannot find it using the SEARCH function! There was info regarding serial numbers... much appreciated!
Nachosgrande is offline  
post #51 of 56 Old 01-08-2007, 07:54 PM
ekb
AVS Special Member
 
ekb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Lawrenceville, NJ
Posts: 4,186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachosgrande View Post

Does anyone have any info regarding DTS version of SPR which have errors on them? I remeber seeing a post awhile back but cannot find it using the SEARCH function! There was info regarding serial numbers... much appreciated!

I kinda remember that but I thought it was for another movie because I have SPR in DTS and I would have checked mine. It was a movie that I don't own.

Ed
ekb is offline  
post #52 of 56 Old 01-08-2007, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Legairre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,764
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I think you guys are thinking of Jurassic Park where the code PECM D2R1 on the inner circle of the DVD meant it had the LFE record way to low. The DVD was was re-issued with the code PECM D2R2 and the LFE corrected. SPR has always been fine.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

Legairre is online now  
post #53 of 56 Old 01-09-2007, 11:06 AM
Senior Member
 
Nachosgrande's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thank you Legairre, I must have been confused with the 2 Spielberg movies. I am in the market for Jurassic Park DTS, so that info is appreciated.
Nachosgrande is offline  
post #54 of 56 Old 01-09-2007, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bgillyjcu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Cleveland Ohio
Posts: 3,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You guys are killing my wallet!! LOL

Now I HAVE to find this DTS version to test out on my HT!!!!

I'm still sad that I cannot fully appriciate how good Blackhawk Down DTS is with the IRENE scene....I wish I had more than my single PB-12NSD.

(Maybe when I'm a little more well off I'll get 2 new SVS ULTRA subs....think I'll hear, errr...I mean FEEL that 5-7hz bass then????)

Does Saving Private Ryan DTS have any insane bass like IRENE????

Twitter @ Clefoodandbrews
 

bgillyjcu is offline  
post #55 of 56 Old 01-09-2007, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Legairre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,764
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Nope most of the SPR bass is around 30Hz range.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

Legairre is online now  
post #56 of 56 Old 01-09-2007, 12:48 PM
Member
 
Greybeard191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
the SPR DTS track doesn have perhaps the most immersive sound you'll every hear. You will SWEAR you are right smack in the middle of EVERYTHING.

Even in the quiet parts, there's will directed distant gunfire etc. You feel WET when it rains... it just goes on and on.

GB
Greybeard191 is offline  
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off