Pulse = not bad at all - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 12-10-2006, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
last night I watched pulse, and I must say it's one of the better horror movies I've seen as of late. Genuinely creepy, with respectable acting. I had no trouble with the characters motivations, they didn't do anything pointlessly stupid, and the movie didn't rely on any gore for shock value. I was watching this late so I had my sub turned off, but my bass shakers were going like crazy, so there has to be some serious LFE going on. The PQ was sharp, with an interesting blue/grey colour pallette..I gotta disagree with Rotten Tomatoes on this one, it's worth seeing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 12-11-2006, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 127
thanks goth. Curiousity was making me plan to see this sometime due to its star, but I hesitated due to the reviews. Thanks for saying its at least worth a looksee..

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #3 of 35 Old 12-11-2006, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I have this in my Netflix queue but it's the HD-DVD and they claim Jan 2007. I'm in no hurry.

larry

Edit: I also have this in my queue at #2. The Evolved

When a rash of dogs turn up dead in London, detectives Danny Glover and Sonny Boy uncover a rancid fast-food restaurant called Burger Priest that could be to blame. (Aiding them in their search are a heroin-addicted fetus named Feety and a ventriloquist's dummy called Ellen Mellon -- but we won't get into that.) Meanwhile, a bloodthirsty shark known only as The Evolved has crawled out of the ocean to target Burger Priest's army of clown chefs ...

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #4 of 35 Old 12-11-2006, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

I have this in my Netflix queue but it's the HD-DVD and they claim Jan 2007. I'm in no hurry.

larry

When a rash of dogs turn up dead in London, detectives Danny Glover and Sonny Boy uncover a rancid fast-food restaurant called Burger Priest that could be to blame. (Aiding them in their search are a heroin-addicted fetus named Feety and a ventriloquist's dummy called Ellen Mellon -- but we won't get into that.) Meanwhile, a bloodthirsty shark known only as The Evolved has crawled out of the ocean to target Burger Priest's army of clown chefs ...

okay.You're making that up, right?

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #5 of 35 Old 12-12-2006, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

okay.You're making that up, right?

LOL! http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?...86&trkid=90529

Don't know if the link will work if your not a member. Give it a whirl.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #6 of 35 Old 12-12-2006, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

larry

Just checked it out on imdb, it has an 8 out of 10 rating (from one guy)! Figures it's a Troma film
post #7 of 35 Old 12-12-2006, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

thanks goth. Curiousity was making me plan to see this sometime due to its star, but I hesitated due to the reviews. Thanks for saying its at least worth a looksee..

no probs, lemme know if you think I'm off my rocker....
post #8 of 35 Old 12-12-2006, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostgoth View Post

last night I watched pulse, and I must say it's one of the better horror movies I've seen as of late. Genuinely creepy, with respectable acting. I had no trouble with the characters motivations, they didn't do anything pointlessly stupid, and the movie didn't rely on any gore for shock value. I was watching this late so I had my sub turned off, but my bass shakers were going like crazy, so there has to be some serious LFE going on. The PQ was sharp, with an interesting blue/grey colour pallette..I gotta disagree with Rotten Tomatoes on this one, it's worth seeing.

You got it right bud. I cant believe all the negative publicity and reviews this movie got, I am picky about my horror movies, and I thought this one was excellant. The sets and overall mood of the picture was real creepy to me, and it held my interest. I've got the dvd on order, its a keeper!

never take life seriously
post #9 of 35 Old 12-12-2006, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
This was definitely more entertaining than I expected based on the reviews (Suprise, surprise. That's typical of jaded internet reviewers/geeks on the net who are near impossible to entertain.). I thought the trailers looked very good and creepy, but the reviews made me think it would be as painfully bad and dull as The Grudge (haven't seen the sequel), although, deep down I didn't believe that that was even possible. I'm a Kristen Bell fan too so that made it all the more appealing.

I liked how the horror
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
extended beyond just the main characters and affected the rest of the world.

Not great, but not bad. A pretty creepy horror film with a nice creepy mood.
post #10 of 35 Old 12-12-2006, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Im glad to hear this, my sister hated it so I was considering not even renting. Ive found that I like alot of movies that the critics have bashed.
post #11 of 35 Old 12-12-2006, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Wasn't familiar with it, so I took a look-see on IMDB. Seems like another teen-20 something fright fest. I wonder why there aren't more horror films featuring adults 35-50 somethings? They seem to do pretty well at the box office (Sixth Sense, The Others, What Lies Beneath, Signs, The Ring, etc.), I'm not sure why there are so many movies like this one with young model/actors in absolutely ludicrous situations.

I'll give it a shot, because I love these kind of things. I trust the mostly smart posters here on AVS, and I definitely agree with MTyson who said above that "jaded internet reviewers/geeks on the net who are near impossible to entertain" (that's the true quote of the day). But the summary from IMDB doesn't give me much hope (unspoiled for your protection):
Quote:
Spoiler  
Imagine our wireless technologies made a connection to a world beyond our own. Imagine that world used that technology as a doorway into ours. Now, imagine the connection we made can't be shut down. When you turn on your cell phone or log on to your e-mail, they'll get in, you'll be infected and they'll be able to take from you what they don't have anymore -- life.

Imagine, indeed.
post #12 of 35 Old 12-12-2006, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 92
You might want to check out the original Japanese film which is much better (and longer).
post #13 of 35 Old 12-12-2006, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp8192 View Post

Wasn't familiar with it, so I took a look-see on IMDB. Seems like another teen-20 something fright fest. I wonder why there aren't more horror films featuring adults 35-50 somethings? They seem to do pretty well at the box office (Sixth Sense, The Others, What Lies Beneath, Signs, The Ring, etc.), I'm not sure why there are so many movies like this one with young model/actors in absolutely ludicrous situations.

My guess is because all of those movies have big name stars that demand BIG money. We're talking about Bruce Willis, Mel Gibson, Harrison Ford, Nicole Kidman and Naomi Watts (and that's not all). Four of them being among the highest paid actors/actresses around (not sure about Watts, though after King Kong and the Ring I'm sure she's up there now). With someone like Kristen Bell they get a high quality actress from Veronica Mars for a much much lower price. Though she wasn't used nearly as well as she is on Veronica Mars, obviously. On one she's an average scared teen girl and on the other she's a brilliant part time PI with fantastic and witty dialogue.

The story of Pulse can seem a bit ridiculous if you really dwell on it, but it was fairly creepy and moody. That's what really matters. I'm just glad it wasn't as bad as The Grudge. The Grudge felt like it was made by someone on drugs, but not in a good way.

Admittedly I had really lowered expectations after the reviews, despite thinking the trailer looked quite good and creepy. So, expecting it to be as bad as the Grudge helped me enjoy it more.
post #14 of 35 Old 12-13-2006, 03:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 42
watched it last night and wasn't bad at all. LFE was awesome, especially when they were in the server room...wow!
post #15 of 35 Old 12-13-2006, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

You might want to check out the original Japanese film which is much better (and longer).

Named "Pulse" also?

larry

post #16 of 35 Old 12-13-2006, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

Named "Pulse" also?

larry

The English title is "Pulse", the Japanese title was "Kairo."
http://imdb.com/title/tt0286751/
post #17 of 35 Old 12-13-2006, 12:40 PM

Quote:

The English title is "Pulse", the Japanese title was "Kairo."
http://imdb.com/title/tt0286751/

Thanks. Netflix has it.

larry

post #18 of 35 Old 12-13-2006, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I saw the Japanese version and it bored me to tears...this version is actually better!
post #19 of 35 Old 12-21-2006, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Well I finally saw it. Not bad at all , I would recommend this in a heart beat. For a PG-13 horror flick I quite enjoyed it. Sure is not the best film ever made but its worth a watch.

Also OMG the LFE on this movie is hands down the strongest I have run across. I had to make sure no one had the sub-woofer turned up to max. I even turned it down and the walls still shook.

Check it out, you wont be disappointed.
post #20 of 35 Old 12-21-2006, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I checked it out too. I've been around or lurked for a few years now, and been part of many threads discussing bass. Pearl Harbor, Haunting DTS, Daredevil, Hulk, Casper LD, FOTR, all mentioned. And I've heard them all (Haunting DTS has been my reference for years). But this is bass-ier than anything I've ever heard or felt. It barely lets up the entire film, but I can't remember anything (concert, movie, anything), with more impact than the server room scene. My stomach was churning, my legs tickling, and the girl I watched it with said she could almost turn that movie on instead of using a vibrator (sorry to be crude).

As far as the movie, we hated it. Sorry, but we thought it was even worse than other PG-13 tripe like "The Grudge", "Darkness Falls" and "When a Stranger Calls". But there is indeed nothing out there that I've ever heard that's like this soundtrack.
post #21 of 35 Old 12-22-2006, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
I agree the bass was pretty good on that scene, and it was long too, and had that "throbbing" sensation to it. No wonder your girl got excited.

Yeah the movie it self, wow what a pice of crap even from Wes Craven.

The Hun
post #22 of 35 Old 12-22-2006, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

I agree the bass was pretty good on that scene, and it was long too, and had that "throbbing" sensation to it. No wonder your girl got excited.

Yeah the movie it self, wow what a pice of crap even from Wes Craven.

I thought Wes backed out but did enough work on it they stuck his name on it?
post #23 of 35 Old 12-22-2006, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Yeah, he co-wrote the screenplay.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0454919/fullcredits

The Hun
post #24 of 35 Old 12-24-2006, 06:37 AM

Great DVD!!!!!!!!!!!! David Gilmour was awesome!!!!!!!!

Strong men also cry.
post #25 of 35 Old 01-01-2007, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostgoth View Post

Thanks for the heads-up on this one. I can't believe it only got 26% on RT. The atmospheric use of a dark pallette, active surrounds and mucho LFE was very effective. It creeped me out, too.

Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% fatality rate.
post #26 of 35 Old 01-07-2007, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I watched this last night and was bored to death. It was a bad as The Grudge. It was not scary at all. You knew exactly when to jump cuz the music cues gave it away. (Josh in library in beginning) I'm sick of these Japanese style horror with ghastly, pale figures. Silent Hill was much better for atmosphere.

The server room scene did have a ton of throbbing LFE. But there was no purpose for it. If it was a mechanical room with a giant generator I could suspend belief, but this bass effect was useless. Why not burn a 20hz test tone and just listen to that? I'll bet it's not even that deep.
post #27 of 35 Old 01-08-2007, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Saw the Original this past weeked due to how much I liked the remake. IMO they did improve on it. While I do understand the whole loneliness in modern society the first one tried to address maybe It was lost in translation (another excellent movie) for the remake..
Remake was much more HP lovecraft vs 1st one dealing with Society. Since im a huge HP fan, remake for me is better.

I think im going to make this a purchase.

PS. It's PG-13. I have yet to run into any movie Rated PG-13 that's scary. I so wish Hollywood would make movies for those of us in the in the 35+ age bracket.
post #28 of 35 Old 01-09-2007, 11:13 PM
EC
AVS Special Member

I bought the movie used - never even heard of it but the cover looked interesting. So I had no preconceived biases good or bad. I did not like the movie. I totally forgot about the plotline even one day after. You got to be cautious when there is only one critic's quote on the cover and its from Wired magazine. I should have known. The only Japanese remake movie I liked was the Ring. There hasn't been any really stand out horror films in the past few years that I can recall. Hollywood must be running out of ideas as they are now remaking Japanese movies and old classics (Texas Chainsaw massacre, The Omen etc).

Eric Chong
My HT Pictures
post #29 of 35 Old 01-10-2007, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EC View Post

I bought the movie used -I did not like the movie. There hasn't been any really stand out horror films in the past few years that I can recall.

As i said not scary just not that bad as some of the past fare. (i.e The Fog remake)

As for horror films that stand out have you seen Slither or the Decent? Feast is not bad also but Slither and Decent are better IMO.

Cheers
post #30 of 35 Old 01-10-2007, 08:39 AM
EC
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

As i said not scary just not that bad as some of the past fare. (i.e The Fog remake)

As for horror films that stand out have you seen Slither or the Decent? Feast is not bad also but Slither and Decent are better IMO.

Cheers

Descent is next on my list. I didn't want to pick up the DVD at full price. I have never rented before. But it does look good so maybe I will pay the full price. Thanks for the tip on Slither as well. I will check this out.

Eric Chong
My HT Pictures
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page