New Beatles "LOVE" DVD-Audio won 't play in 5.1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 12-28-2006, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got a Denon 3910 and a Nad T-163/973 components. Not that I know a lot about them but I've got my first DVD-Audio disc. When I put it in, it will only play in stereo not 5.1. Is their something I'm doing wrong? When I put a normal DVD in, it will automatically play in 5.1 or allow me to choose DTS, Dolby 5.1 or stereo.
I do get a picture on the screen for the song titles but no audio option choices.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 12-29-2006, 06:06 AM

I'll try to buy it today and figure it out for you :-)

Hopefully the wife will understand
post #3 of 28 Old 12-29-2006, 07:15 AM

You have to select it from a menu, the disc should start playing when you first put it in, hit menu on your dvd and it should stop and give you the track selection and menu options......this is going on memory, i can post more when i get home...this is a great DVD Audio btw....

"Don't get mad at me just because you were dumb enough to fall for the ol' Wookie-prisoner gag."
post #4 of 28 Old 12-29-2006, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Your Denon 3910 has DVD-Audio, so it will automatically default to the 5.1 DVD-A track. And because the Denon is a DVD-A player, you won't see the DTS or Dolby Digital menu pages. I assume you are listening through your multichannel input ..and have the six RCA cables hooked up for proper six channel (5.1) DVD-A playback?
post #5 of 28 Old 12-29-2006, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregK View Post

Your Denon 3910 has DVD-Audio, so it will automatically default to the 5.1 DVD-A track. And because the Denon is a DVD-A player, you won't see the DTS or Dolby Digital menu pages. I assume you are listening through your multichannel input ..and have the six RCA cables hooked up for proper six channel (5.1) DVD-A playback?

All my DVD videos play great in 5.1. Their is NO CHOICE on the screen to select any audio options. This disc is only playing in stereo. When I go to select Menu all I get is, 0 with a red bar through it.
post #6 of 28 Old 12-29-2006, 10:33 AM

My Pioneer 563-A has no audio options, but defaults to the DVD-Audio track.
post #7 of 28 Old 12-29-2006, 10:58 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helter View Post

All my DVD videos play great in 5.1. Their is NO CHOICE on the screen to select any audio options. This disc is only playing in stereo. When I go to select Menu all I get is, 0 with a red bar through it.

DVD Video 5.1 via DD or DTS is not the same as DVD-A. You can get DVD-A multichannel sound through Denonlink or 5.1 analog cables from DVD player to receiver, as GregK has already stated. Make sure DVD player setup for DVD-A is set to multichannel. It is either a problem with your connections or default setups in the player.
post #8 of 28 Old 12-29-2006, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachosgrande View Post

DVD Video 5.1 via DD or DTS is not the same as DVD-A. You can get DVD-A multichannel sound through Denonlink or 5.1 analog cables from DVD player to receiver, as GregK has already stated. Make sure DVD player setup for DVD-A is set to multichannel. It is either a problem with your connections or default setups in the player.

Shouldn't the cables I use to get 5.1 on DVD video work for DVD-audio?
I'm not sure what you mean by "setup for multichannel" is that different from a normal setup? I will look in my owner's manual for multichannel and see what I can find out.
post #9 of 28 Old 12-29-2006, 01:13 PM

My brother brought it over this weekend, and we had choices of DD 5.1, DTS and PCM stereo.
DTS was the best of the three on my system. Pioneer Elite DV-F07 player.

Markeetaux
post #10 of 28 Old 12-29-2006, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Shouldn't the cables I use to get 5.1 on DVD video work for DVD-audio?
I'm not sure what you mean by "setup for multichannel" is that different from a normal setup? I will look in my owner's manual for multichannel and see what I can find out.

No, the cable you use to get 5.1 DD/DTS audio for video is only good for "digital sound."

The DVD-Audio format is "analog",so you must send the sound form your DVD player to your receiver/processor's 6 channel ext. in inputs. You will need 6 rca type cables to do this. Make sure you DVD player is set to output "multi channel", and your receiver/processor is set to the ext. in on the input mode.

Scott
post #11 of 28 Old 12-29-2006, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Tucker View Post

No, the cable you use to get 5.1 DD/DTS audio for video is only good for "digital sound."

The DVD-Audio format is "analog",so you must send the sound form your DVD player to your receiver/processor's 6 channel ext. in inputs. You will need 6 rca type cables to do this. Make sure you DVD player is set to output "multi channel", and your receiver/processor is set to the ext. in on the input mode.

Scott

This is correct. You need to have the 5.1 analog outputs from DVD player to your processor to get DVD-A. Works fine on my Linn Unidisk connected in this manner. It sounds great by the way...Never been a big Beatles fan but this disc sounds so contemporary its incredible! However, you should be able to get 5.1 with DD or DTS. Check your dvd player settings.
post #12 of 28 Old 12-29-2006, 09:24 PM
ekb
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Tucker View Post

The DVD-Audio format is "analog",

I don't think so.

Ed
post #13 of 28 Old 12-30-2006, 05:32 AM

Quote:
"The DVD-Audio format is analog"

Oops, didn't see this when I replied! It is actually the industry that is forcing us to use the analog outputs, the format is not analog.

Again check your DVD player to make sure you are setup correctly.
post #14 of 28 Old 12-30-2006, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Now I'm a little confused
The cables I have hooked up currently are a DVI cable and the Digital audio optical cable in the rear. This work's perfectly for all my DVD's.
I do have one SACD which I know I need different cables for that to play which I haven't bothered to do.
But what your saying is the hook up I have currently won't work for DVD-A either?
post #15 of 28 Old 12-30-2006, 08:40 AM

Quote:

Now I'm a little confused
The cables I have hooked up currently are a DVI cable and the Digital audio optical cable in the rear. This work's perfectly for all my DVD's.
I do have one SACD which I know I need different cables for that to play which I haven't bothered to do.
But what your saying is the hook up I have currently won't work for DVD-A either?

With the optical cable you would get DD or DTS, which is why your video DVD's work in 5.1 mode. SACD and DVD-A require the analog ouputs of your DVD player to be connected to your processor or receiver.
post #16 of 28 Old 12-30-2006, 11:04 AM
ekb
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
There might bigger problems once you hook up the 6 analog cables. You may be OK with the Denon 3910 (I don't know it's details but I think it's one of the better ones) but many DVD-A players cannot do a proper job of speaker distance, and bass management with appropriate Xover frequencies and slopes. If not, some receivers can do the distance and BM on the 5.1 analog in, but most don't.

Ed
post #17 of 28 Old 01-01-2007, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

The thought of going back their and adding all those extra cables. With all my components it's already a rats nest. DVD-A doesn't seem like a very popular format I'm starting to wonder if it's worth the trouble for just a couple of disc's that I own and if this format is ever going to take off.
post #18 of 28 Old 01-03-2007, 08:01 AM

No, the format will never take off, but for us here in multichannel surround land, it sounds damn good!
post #19 of 28 Old 01-03-2007, 09:36 AM

Buy the six analog cables and hook it up. Next thing you know you will be shopping for all the SACD and DVD-A discs you can find. The sound blows DTS away. My favorite on SACD is Elton John. Most any of his releases are good, but "Honky Chatau" is fantastic. I like the live concert DVD's but for just listening quality, it's SACD or DVD-A with the analog/multi- channel hook up. I am using the Denon 3910 with a Pioneer Elite receiver. Untile I got on this board and found out about the analog hook up, I was having the same problem you are having.
post #20 of 28 Old 01-04-2007, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I don't have DVD-A, but I loved the DTS sound. Very spacious, airy and accurate. I wish there was more multichannel audio material available on DTS and hope this rekindles interest.
post #21 of 28 Old 01-12-2007, 04:06 PM

I have a Toshiba SD-34VESE DVD player, same problem : no access to any menu to choose the audio format. It selects automatically the DVD-A layer, which leads to a poor 2-ch sound.
Now what I did to go around the problem : I copied the DVD-V files (VOB type) on my PC, and then tried to read it through a showcenter 200 linked to my PC via ethernet, and then via optical to my amplifier.
There are 3 VOB files : 2 of 1Go and one of 600 Mo. The small ones provides a very good 5.1 DTS sound ! However, only the end of the record is given (From Back in the USSR). With the 2 big VOB files, no way, still poor 2 ch sound. Another strange thing is that the date of the small file has been changed to the current date, as the one of the big ones was unchanged.
All this very interesting but I cannot explain yet.

Anyone with a brillant idea ???
post #22 of 28 Old 01-13-2007, 07:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALIASJT View Post

I have a Toshiba SD-34VESE DVD player, same problem : no access to any menu to choose the audio format. It selects automatically the DVD-A layer, which leads to a poor 2-ch sound.

Anyone with a brillant idea ???

Sure. Buy a universal player that gives you access to all the soundtracks present on the disk. You can find them from as little as $100 all the way up to, well, whatever you want to spend. I have two of 'em, a Samsung 941 and a Marantz DV7600. Both produce stunning hi-rez sound, but the Marantz has the superior DAC's.
post #23 of 28 Old 01-13-2007, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Sure. Buy a universal player that gives you access to all the soundtracks present on the disk. You can find them from as little as $100 all the way up to, well, whatever you want to spend. I have two of 'em, a Samsung 941 and a Marantz DV7600. Both produce stunning hi-rez sound, but the Marantz has the superior DAC's.

Archi,

Amazingly, I tested the DVD with my very old DVD player Toshiba 3107E... And it works ! : It reads the DVD-V sound track in DD and DTS, perfectly, which is what I was looking for.
Then I wonder why my much more recent SD-34VESE is not able to do the same, and only selects the DVD-A soundtrack with no other choice !!!
post #24 of 28 Old 02-19-2007, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 68
just got around to playing the dvd disc. Have old Panny dvd player. Put tv on, menu came up, chose DTS, turned off tv and sat back and listened to some great Beatle music in 5.1 surround sound..

post #25 of 28 Old 02-19-2007, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTCrazy View Post

I don't have DVD-A, but I loved the DTS sound. Very spacious, airy and accurate. I wish there was more multichannel audio material available on DTS and hope this rekindles interest.

Yeah, me too. I have "Band on the Run" in DTS and it's frickin' awesome!!
I want more stuff in DTS..
post #26 of 28 Old 02-21-2007, 08:45 AM

Yet another example of confusion over connections and proper MCH format (as evidenced by OP) as to why SACD and DVD-A failed.
post #27 of 28 Old 02-21-2007, 09:08 AM

If you do it "properly" all speakers should be the same. Too expensive for me as an audiophile. I have a 2 channel SACD player and audio setup and have a different setup for DVD-V movies etc.. I did get lucky in the sense that my car came with a DVD-A player so I bought a couple of DVD-A discs including LOVE and it sounds great!
post #28 of 28 Old 02-21-2007, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachosgrande View Post

Yet another example of confusion over connections and proper MCH format (as evidenced by OP) as to why SACD and DVD-A failed.

MCH, OP, its clear for everyone, for sure
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page