post #361 of 545 Old 04-11-2007, 07:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000 View Post

I would expect an overwhelmingly focused effort to find a solution to repopulate the earth, while at the same time controling the inevitable chaos that would permeate what is left of civilization.

You are remarkably naive.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 545 Old 04-11-2007, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
While you're at it, don't forget to watch The Big Lebowski. She sure can pick some roles that are "out there".
post #363 of 545 Old 04-11-2007, 11:53 AM

Liked: 15
My art has been commended as strongly vaginal which bothers some men. The word itself makes some men uncomfortable...

Vagina.
post #364 of 545 Old 04-11-2007, 04:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
^Just checked at your homepage.
I am impressed.
As a fellow Northwesterner, it is good to see America still lives....

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #365 of 545 Old 04-11-2007, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

You are remarkably naive.

How so?

post #366 of 545 Old 04-11-2007, 06:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I think you may be overestimating your fellow humans.
We have a long history of Cannibalism (in the widest sense of the word).

post #367 of 545 Old 04-11-2007, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

The Rotten Tomatoes forum members claim throughout the country it's in 16 theaters.

LOL
I just rented the DVD tonite
Any word if this will come to Blu-ray

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
post #368 of 545 Old 04-11-2007, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

How so?

Josh would prefer to think that this is an elegant plot with deep meaning, rather than something remotely believable.

Why would regular infantry pack that alley with so many troops that a single grenade could take out 50?
post #369 of 545 Old 04-11-2007, 10:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR_IN_LA View Post

Josh would prefer to think that this is an elegant plot with deep meaning, rather than something remotely believable.

Why would regular infantry pack that alley with so many troops that a single grenade could take out 50?

OK, John, tell us how a grenade can kill 50...

post #370 of 545 Old 04-12-2007, 07:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

John's been watching too many John Woo movies.

Josh Z

post #371 of 545 Old 04-12-2007, 07:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

How so?

I don't intend to turn this into a debate about real-world politics, but I suggest that you try watching the evening news sometime and then ask yourself why the world still has war, genocide, terrorism, and other assorted horrors when, by your reasoning, it should be simple for all the leaders of the world to get together in a room, hold hands, and sing "Kumbaya" to resolve their differences.

Josh Z

post #372 of 545 Old 04-12-2007, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I said "take out", which includes all casaulties.

Ok so ... 25
post #373 of 545 Old 04-12-2007, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:

Ok so ... 25

Hopefully, those 25 are roasting marshmallows around a campfire singing, Kumbaya. Otherwise...

post #374 of 545 Old 04-12-2007, 12:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I said "take out", which includes all casaulties.

Ok so ... 25

Only if 25 were looped together and a grenade was dropped in the center...and even that would be a stretch (but who knows what John Woo could come up with in a pinch ).

post #375 of 545 Old 04-12-2007, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Clearly you guys are misunderstanding. We're talking about the future here, where...obviously...they have nuclear hand grenades.
post #376 of 545 Old 04-12-2007, 01:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Nucler grenades?!
Oh, in that case....

post #377 of 545 Old 04-12-2007, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Well with modern RPGs munititions the question more becomes, "would you like your 25 fried or diced?"
post #378 of 545 Old 04-12-2007, 02:52 PM
jcc
AVS Special Member

Would someone please clear something up for me? Is that ship Tomorrow to take her to the Human Project which is located on some land? If so, why doesn't everyone go there instead of England? Are we to assume that England no longer has satellites to see where this Human Project is located?

I'm an investment manager Jim, Not a doctor!
post #379 of 545 Old 04-12-2007, 02:57 PM

Liked: 123
I'd say that The (movie) Human Project is more like a form of The (real) Human Genome Project, where they would entertain cases that had possibilities for the future of mankind, and is more of a facility, as opposed to a chunk of land, and hence, could not support a mass influx of people.
post #380 of 545 Old 04-12-2007, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't intend to turn this into a debate about real-world politics, but I suggest that you try watching the evening news sometime and then ask yourself why the world still has war, genocide, terrorism, and other assorted horrors when, by your reasoning, it should be simple for all the leaders of the world to get together in a room, hold hands, and sing "Kumbaya" to resolve their differences.

Your arguments would be more effective if you actually addressed what I said, rather than put words in my mouth, yet again.

There are many instances where different people and countries have come together despite political differences. The Iranian earthquake of 2003 and the Tsunami of 2004 come to mind.

Closer to the theme of the movie, the world has banded together in the past to combat polio, AIDS, SARS, etc. More recently, there have been focused efforts to eradicate the Avian Flu.

Now, imagine that what we saw in the movie was real, and there were no more children. Such an event would surpass the scope and impact of any disease the world has ever seen. It's not a stretch to see people working together to find a solution, knowing that there is a definite clock ticking away the time of humanity.

Does that mean that the world suddenly turns peaceful? No, of course not. In my reply I stated that the other focus would be to control the inevitable chaos that would result. Faced with the end of human life, there would be elements of society and the world that would totally disregard all laws - most likely turning violent. This would have to be controlled.

Neither of these conditions would exclude the other. Nor would it preclude other difficulties or conflicts from arising.

Scott

post #381 of 545 Old 04-12-2007, 04:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Does that mean that the world suddenly turns peaceful? No, of course not. In my reply I stated that the other focus would be to control the inevitable chaos that would result. Faced with the end of human life, there would be elements of society and the world that would totally disregard all laws - most likely turning violent. This would have to be controlled.

And how is this not what the movie depicts the British government trying to do (or thinking they are)? What did you think the point was of their immigration crackdown and marshall law?

Josh Z

post #382 of 545 Old 04-12-2007, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc View Post

Would someone please clear something up for me?
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Is that ship Tomorrow to take her to the Human Project which is located on some land? If so, why doesn't everyone go there instead of England? Are we to assume that England no longer has satellites to see where this Human Project is located?

We don't know.

My own take is that
Spoiler  
the Human Project is a secret government group, masquerading as a covert, underground operation. It was put in place for two reasons. The first is to offer hope to the "enlightened" ones left in society. The second is get their hands on any babies/pregnant women that may suddenly appear, as an outlet for people that don't trust the government.

Another option is that is a secret project located in the South Seas, set up by The Hanso Foundation in support of the DHARMA Initiative.

Or, it could actually be a group of time-travelling space aliens, that are secretly repopulating their own world with genetic hybrids. There was something odd looking about Kee's baby, don't you think? (I threw this one in solely for RobertWood's benefit, in case he's reading this)
Scott

post #383 of 545 Old 04-12-2007, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And how is this not what the movie depicts the British government trying to do (or thinking they are)? What did you think the point was of their immigration crackdown and marshall law?

What are we arguing about?

I was asked what motivation would be left in the world, and I answered. You called my response naive, and I responded.

I never said the movie didn't depict an attempt to control the broken elements of society.

I didn't see anything in the movie that showed any ongoing attempt at a solution to the sterility pandemic. However, that doesn't mean that they weren't working on a cure, just that we didn't see it.

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with me about.

Scott

post #384 of 545 Old 04-12-2007, 04:52 PM

Again, this is where I have a BIG problem with the film. Even if cloning cost a fortune (which it doesn't...not even close) and only the wealthiest of the wealthy could afford it, it's astoundingly inane to think that there would be nobody working to find a way to "make" babies, either in utero, or most likely in the case of the movie, in vitro.

Granted, such cloning procedures would only last so many generations, but given the fact that the supposed "outbreak" only affected newborns or a fetus inside the womb, one should logically conclude that an human organism developed from the DNA of healthy sperm in vitro would turn out perfectly healthy if provided a sterile environment.

Even if there were no organizations out there inspired with the "noble cause" of saving mankind from extinction, I can 100% guarantee that there would be a multitude of groups more than interested in making a bucketload of cash, either through government grants or private funding from rich folks seeking to pass on their legacy.

The whole "bleak outlook" painted by CoM is beyond absurd given the nature of the proposed parameters of the disease.
post #385 of 545 Old 04-12-2007, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 View Post

I'd say that The (movie) Human Project is more like a form of The (real) Human Genome Project, where they would entertain cases that had possibilities for the future of mankind, and is more of a facility, as opposed to a chunk of land, and hence, could not support a mass influx of people.

Thanks for cleaing that up.
post #386 of 545 Old 04-12-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:

Again, this is where I have a BIG problem with the film. Even if cloning cost a fortune (which it doesn't...not even close) and only the wealthiest of the wealthy could afford it, it's astoundingly inane to think that there would be nobody working to find a way to "make" babies, either in utero, or most likely in the case of the movie, in vitro.

Granted, such cloning procedures would only last so many generations, but given the fact that the supposed "outbreak" only affected newborns or a fetus inside the womb, one should logically conclude that an human organism developed from the DNA of healthy sperm in vitro would turn out perfectly healthy if provided a sterile environment.

Even if there were no organizations out there inspired with the "noble cause" of saving mankind from extinction, I can 100% guarantee that there would be a multitude of groups more than interested in making a bucketload of cash, either through government grants or private funding from rich folks seeking to pass on their legacy.

The whole "bleak outlook" painted by CoM is beyond absurd given the nature of the proposed parameters of the disease.

What is with you people so intently focused on the mundane logistics of the plot? It is a VEHICLE for ideological and political commentaries.

Goodness, would you read slaughterhouse 5 and think goodness, this is just a terrible novel because it's so unrealistic what with time travel and the like?

Are you going to read the Bible or the Koran or whatnot and go, well, pffft, that's not realistic at all so it's not worth my time?

It sounds like we have a bunch of narcissitic acountants or something watching these movies and providing commentary about whether the math works out right. WHO CARES!? It's a MOVIE. Picasso must be equally worthless because his paintings aren't realistic at all. The David is way way too big. Completely unreasonable.
post #387 of 545 Old 04-12-2007, 05:57 PM

I have no issue with movies that have plot holes large enough to swallow whole planets, so long as they don't take themselves too seriously (along with their fans)...HOWEVER, in the case of CoM, we're not presented with a thrilling and harmless sci-fi romp that cares less about logistics than simple entertainment.

FWIW, I don't read fiction, so none of your text examples mean much to me. Comparing something as simplistic and absurd as CoM to Picasso's works or to The David is beyond "unreasonable", it's a flat-out insult to reason itself.
post #388 of 545 Old 04-12-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:

I have no issue with movies that have plot holes large enough to swallow whole planets, so long as they don't take themselves too seriously (along with their fans)...HOWEVER, in the case of CoM, we're not presented with a thrilling and harmless sci-fi romp that cares less about logistics than simple entertainment.

Your dichotomy is ridiculous. I never implied that logistics and entertainment were opposed to each other.

Quote:

FWIW, I don't read fiction, so none of your text examples mean much to me. Comparing something as simplistic and absurd as CoM to Picasso's works or to The David is beyond "unreasonable", it's a flat-out insult to reason itself.

CoM was simplistic and absurd?

Obviously you're right, you don't read much...
post #389 of 545 Old 04-12-2007, 06:33 PM

I did clearly say "fiction", but since we're obviously changing meaning to whatever we want now:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles View Post

...CoM was simplistic and absurd...Obviously you're right...

I'm glad you agree. Please enjoy the knowledge those fictional comic books give you. I'll just stay dumb as a box of rocks, what with reading multitudes of non-fictional books on cellular proliferation and genetic engineering.
post #390 of 545 Old 04-12-2007, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Sorry I can't resist.

The only memorable part of this move is the sound track, Michael Kane's performance (which probably wasn't really necessary in the context of the story), and maybe the cameo by the Pink Floyd Pig. The rest was disjointed, superfluous, apocalyptic blather.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page