Spielberg making Tintin movie - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 80 Old 11-05-2011, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Err, to be more accurate, it's a family movie that never hits home with its plot like the goonies, stand by me, poltergeist, monster squad, etc... hell, even willy wonka and the chocolate factory bests it by a long-shot.

The goonies and poltergeist for example had balls and went out of their way to make hilarious drug references and use cuss words. They were not afraid to offend some audiences; unlike super 8. They both also had magnificent real props and sets and not the CGI effects. The soundtracks? Incredible. The soundtrack for super 8? Forgettable.

I don't dislike super 8, but it's a sore thumb when compared to Spielberg's other involvements. JJ Abrams just didn't have the Spielberg fineness and the balls.

I can guarantee you that "Warhorse" will be incredible. Just listen to the soundtrack from the trailer. Another one that will pass super 8 by a long shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 80 Old 11-06-2011, 12:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by FendersRule View Post

Err, to be more accurate, it's a family movie that never hits home with its plot like the goonies, stand by me, poltergeist, monster squad, etc... hell, even willy wonka and the chocolate factory bests it by a longship. .

The goonies and poltergeist for example had balls and went out of their way to make hilarious drug references and use cuss words. They were not afraid to offend some audiences; unlike super 8. They both also had magnificent real props and sets and the CGI effects. The soundtracks? Incredible. The soundtrack for super 8? Forgettable.

I don't dislike super 8, but it's a sore thumb when compared to Spielberg's other involvements. JJ Abrams just didn't have the Spielberg fineness and the balls.

I can guarantee you that "Warhorse" will be incredible. Just listen to the soundtrack from the trailer. Another one that will pass super 8 by a long shot.

Boy, I missed this one by a mile (face-palm here).

Somehow, I got the impression it is an alien invasion thing based in the 70's...
Something like Cloverdale, or maybe Attack of the Block.

Sounds like a rental to me.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #63 of 80 Old 11-06-2011, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Boy, I missed this one by a mile (face-palm here).

Somehow, I got the impression it is an alien invasion thing based in the 70's...
Something like Cloverdale, or maybe Attack of the Block.

Sounds like a rental to me.

It's an alien invasion story set in the late 1970s that involves children.

There are these things out there called movie trailers, and if you watch them, they show you bits of footage from a movie and give you an overview of what they're about. You should try it sometime!

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #64 of 80 Old 11-06-2011, 12:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

It's an alien invasion story set in the late 1970s that involves children.

There are these things out there called movie trailers, and if you watch them, they show you bits of footage from a movie and give you an overview of what they're about. You should try it sometime!

Thanx for the peek.

Lately, to avoid anticipating the endings of films, I have tried to avoid trailers (for the most part).
I like to be surprised with the concluding scenes of a movie.

Besides, I have AVS members (who are more often than not, right) to guide my purchases.

post #65 of 80 Old 11-07-2011, 03:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not sure where the Super 8 rant came from, but it's a great film. It might not be one of the best films of all time, but neither are any of the ones you're comparing it against. Also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FendersRule View Post

The goonies and poltergeist for example had balls and went out of their way to make hilarious drug references and use cuss words.

Did you really even watch Super 8? It did both of these things.

Quote:

They both also had magnificent real props and sets and not the CGI effects.

Did this as well (minus the monster itself, obviously, but Poltergeist used CGI so it's a moot point).

Quote:

The soundtracks? Incredible. The soundtrack for super 8? Forgettable.

Debatable, but then again Super 8's soundtrack was intended to be an amalgamation of all the summer family adventure films that JJ was paying homage too. It was supposed to feel nostalgic, and it accomplished its goals. The "forgettability" of its soundtrack is hardly a worthy criticism in that regard.

All of this has nothing to do with the Tintin move though... which is an entirely different type of film meant for an entirely different type of audience.
post #66 of 80 Old 11-07-2011, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchinn View Post

Yeah, I think the squeeky clean "TinTin image" is right up Spielberg's alley. I kinda wish he would have tackled the Lupin III character instead (of Anime fame...a far more interesting/complex cartoon).

That would be absolutely awesome! I wish I had the money when the Complete Lupin III set was released in Japan in 2006 (I was there for Study Abroad Program), and I think it included all three series, supposedly remastered with 5.1 audio. I think it was 100,000 yen, so ~$1000.
post #67 of 80 Old 11-29-2011, 02:57 PM

Guy made an unoffical "credits" sequence for this film, and Spielberg saw it. He liked it so much he hired him for the next film. Pretty awesome!

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/stev...on-next-movie-
post #68 of 80 Old 11-29-2011, 03:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Since others have weighed in on Super 8, I will add my two cents worth, too. I like J.J. Abrams' work and particularly enjoyed Super 8, which I rated at 8 Stars out of 10. It's 7.1 HD audiotrack was mostly terrific, too. I thought the low end of its LFE track, though was lacking, which hurt the otherwise riveting train wreck scene. How the sound designer could have laid down such an otherwise wonderful audiotrack but then struck out on the very important bottom end of its LFE simple astounds me.
post #69 of 80 Old 11-30-2011, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

Guy made an unoffical "credits" sequence for this film, and Spielberg saw it. He liked it so much he hired him for the next film. Pretty awesome!

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/stev...on-next-movie-

That was wonderful!

post #70 of 80 Old 12-22-2011, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just came back from watching this with the kids. I read the comics in childhood and my kids have read/reading the comics too.
I thought it was quite good and created the world of Tintin quite well. I also thought character introduction was great although those not familiar with the source material may find character development lacking.

CGI was quite impressive, looks like they've finally crossed the valley.Eventually action packed after a slow start plus they also mixed a few Tintin books into this intro movie my kids told me.
Overall it's a great family flick even if you're not a fan/familiar with the source material.
post #71 of 80 Old 12-23-2011, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I watched it last night in Real 3D and was blown away by the quality of animation. There are a lot of jaw dropping sequences and the 3d is probably the most beautiful i've seen surpassing avatar. The story has a lot of steam and is a great rollercoaster. I've been a big fan of tintin since childhood so that might color my thoughts a bit, but i loved the movie and will eagerly look forward to its bluray.

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays
PSN Id:blitz500

post #72 of 80 Old 12-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Saw this in RealD 3D and loved it. It is non-stop action packed throughout, just as in the comics. Animation was superb, especially I found skin texture most realistic. 3D was good, not distracting. Initially I didn't want to watch in 3D but looks like they are pushing you to 3D for this movie as 2D offerings were just one show a day, either in the afternoon or early in the morning. 3D effect was quite good and enjoyable. Even at slightly less than 2 hours, I felt it might have been a bit rushed. I think they could have added 5-10 minutes more for character development. I didn't find it slow at all, even in the beginning.

Yes, the story did include parts from 2-3 books and also reversed sequence of one thing. I think there was only one "Billions of Blue Blistering Barnacles" and no "Ten Thousand Thundering Typhoons"!

post #73 of 80 Old 01-02-2012, 02:05 PM

I just got back from taking my kids to see this, and while I didn't "love" it I definitely enjoyed it. The CGI is masterfully done, as is the 3D. The story is fun and full of adventure, and the action is exciting. One standout is the chase sequence at the end... absolutely jaw-dropping.

Anyway, definitely worth enjoying in 3D. Worth a rental at home at least, perhaps a purchase if it really is your cup of tea.
post #74 of 80 Old 01-02-2012, 02:13 PM

WOW, what a great set of BTS featurettes:

http://vimeo.com/31282361

http://vimeo.com/32035684
post #75 of 80 Old 01-29-2012, 06:19 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Me and my daughter watched this awhile back and we absolutely loved it. I have to admit the 3D was quite good.

Frank
post #76 of 80 Old 04-15-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Half hour and out.
The wife and I found absolutely nothing to care about or have an interest in...
WTF is this?
It seems geared to 5 year olds.

SS is too talented to be indulging his pre-teen whims at 60 some years old....sheesh.

post #77 of 80 Old 04-15-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Half hour and out.
The wife and I found absolutely nothing to care about or have an interest in...
WTF is this?
It seems geared to 5 year olds.

SS is too talented to be indulging his pre-teen whims at 60 some years old....sheesh.

The old show was better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNQD-c2u4oI
post #78 of 80 Old 04-15-2012, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Yeah I bought this unseen based on the extended preview on Vudu, what a mistake this was. It was barely above boredom, and some reason the sound mix was very front heavy, for the amount of action and the fact that this was 7.1 mix, not to mention it is from SS, I was unprecedentedly surprised by that. To be honest I'm not sure of what age bracket this was meant for.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #79 of 80 Old 04-15-2012, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Me and my daughter watched this awhile back and we absolutely loved it. I have to admit the 3D was quite good.

+1. I watched it with my daughter too. She loved it. Me too. We had a pretty good time watching it. Seeing your daughter smile and laugh, what more could you ask for? (...well we also watched War Horse together last week, and the laughs were replaced by tears this time; she loved it too though)
post #80 of 80 Old 04-16-2012, 03:14 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Seeing your daughter smile and laugh, what more could you ask for? (...well we also watched War Horse together last week, and the laughs were replaced by tears this time; she loved it too though)

Exactly !!
Im yet to see War Horse and Im very much looking forward to it.

Frank
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page