music w/ tight bass (want chest kick) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-17-2007, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As topic states. Blade II or III come to mind, I recall feeling a bunch of chest kick effects during one of the music scenes. Just wondering if anyone knows specific music tracks (or even movies) that feature what I'm looking for.

I've got an ASP6000 sub and Athena point 5 speakers if that helps at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-17-2007, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
With bass traps and flat frequency response, any "capable" sub can produce a tight bass kick. And with bass traps and an eq, I've found that MOST of my music (different indie rock, not artificial pop music or hip hop bass) has that kick. It's the drums, especially the kick drums, that get you.

I'm amazed going back and listening to music that sounded blah or so-so with my H100 that now sounds truly amazing through an eq'd HSU with bass traps.

Why using other people's TV settings is a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 Old 01-18-2007, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icerian View Post

As topic states. Blade II or III come to mind, I recall feeling a bunch of chest kick effects during one of the music scenes. Just wondering if anyone knows specific music tracks (or even movies) that feature what I'm looking for.

Congratulations! You kindof started at the top on this one -- those two flicks are my reference standard for exactly what you speak of. In BLADE II -- must be second or third chapter, Blade is pursuing Bloodsuckers through a building -- they're running down a hallway, he is flashing with cape through perpendicular pathways in the backround -- that sets off a sequence which is pulse pounding for rhythmic punch, eventually moving out into the street and involving motorcycles and culminating in a music shift when he gets down to some real nitty-gritty martial arts action. Must have seen that a hundred times and will always go back to make sure my system parameters are what they should be.

In Blade III, chapter 13 or thereabouts I think, Blade starts chasing after Drac through the streets and buildings and ending up on a rooftop. That is the most cohesive, coherent, melding/meshing of beat energy coming together from my speaker array that I have in movie form. With different equipment than I now have, it was almost like being slapped repeatedly as that pulse-popping came out into room center and made the space throb.

So, I guess that is to say that I'm afraid there is no higher place to ascend to after those. But I will say I think the energy from those scenes comes from the midbass region -- that pop and punch of the pace-making, swift rhythmic variety comes from something other than the deepest bass, although is certainly augmented by it.

I could offer up another non-musical passage for startling punch. The movie AVP has a scene (chapter 13 again?) where our protagonist guide is exhorting the merry band of pyramid explorers to wrap it up and get back -- they have just stumbled across a mechanized stone drawer containing some Predator weapons. The military commander grabs the last object from the drawer and stone walls start to fall into place. It can be downright scary how those doors bang down. Check it out.

Another thing: I was turned onto this from STEREOPHILE magazine. One of the reviewers had his reference standard for popping tight bass: a track on a CD from LEFTFIELD. The CD is called LEFTISM, the track is called AFRO-LEFT.

Plus I've always found the drum solo on Patricia Barbers COMPANION CD, in the last minutes of BLACK MAGIC WOMAN to be very refreshing and irresistible when turned up as loud as you can stand it.
post #4 of 12 Old 01-18-2007, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Try the Spawn soundtrack with Filter (Trip Like I Do)

Mike

post #5 of 12 Old 01-20-2007, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Grabbed those tracks, will try them out and let you know what happens! I googled bass traps and I don't think I have the option of setting those up anytime soon (at least where I live). I have a Pioneer VSX-516 receiver and I didn't see any sort of equalizer option it, but I'll assume cyberbri was talking about an external equalizer. Thanks for all the input gentlemen!
post #6 of 12 Old 01-21-2007, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

all the tracks sounded good, clean tight bass but no kick effect. i think it's probably just improper configuration of my receiver, speaker level, xover etc. i have not been able to obtain an spl meter yet and just tuned the speaker levels by ear (in all honesty, i just +/- the levels until the static sounded the same, but because of the different directions they are probably off). the speaker distances i measured with a measuring tape so those are pretty accurate. xover i have set to 80Hz, the lowest my speakers can handle is 60hz (from athena website).

on the movie end, blade 2 and 3 performed nicely still.

i think i might just buy a kickdrum and bang it myself while watching movies or listening to music if all else fails!
post #7 of 12 Old 01-21-2007, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Have you checked phase for your sub? If the sub is out of phase from the speakers, they will cancel out partially in the range they overlap (maybe 60-100Hz).

You REALLY need an SPL meter and the Avia DVD.

Why using other people's TV settings is a

post #8 of 12 Old 01-21-2007, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

Have you checked phase for your sub? If the sub is out of phase from the speakers, they will cancel out partially in the range they overlap (maybe 60-100Hz).

You REALLY need an SPL meter and the Avia DVD.

I tried all sorts of places for the spl meter with no luck (home depot, cdn tire, home hardware, wal-mart, radioshack/source, future shop, 2001 audio/video etc). closest lead i got was the source (canadian version of radioshack) but they won't get any in stock till feb 20th (http://www.thesourcecc.com/estore/Pr...roduct=1219799). i got a hold of some music stores, but they were $100+ for the meters. i'll also see if i can find the Avia DVD in the mean time.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-21-2007, 03:19 PM
ekb
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The best example is the Led Zep song "Battle of Evermore" performed by Heart on the Live in Seattle disk. Part way thru the song the bass drum kicks in and the video even shows the drummers foot/drum when this happens. Just absolutely awsome.

Ed
post #10 of 12 Old 01-21-2007, 03:22 PM
ekb
AVS Special Member

Also Boz Scaggs, Standing in the Shadows of Mowtown and Lee Ritenour DVDs. It's the Bass guitars that are real tight and prominent in these DVDs.

Ed
post #11 of 12 Old 01-24-2007, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

If you have a DVD-A player try Linkin Park Re-animator. It's sure to get your neighbors to hate you...

Healthy skepticism is the best component for your HT
post #12 of 12 Old 01-25-2007, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My kick-drum reference disc is Pork Soda by Primus. Serious drum'n action.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page