Remastering DVDs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 01-23-2007, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm tired of sitting through all of the warnings, previews, menus, and all the other crap on some of my more recently purchased DVDs before the movie starts.

I'd like to rip the DVDs on my computer and rewrite them to a DVD-+R so that the disk contains only the movie itself.

I have a PC with a DVD-+R burner and Nero Ultra--do I need any other software to do this? (I'm not doing this to pirate discs, but to strip the crap out of discs I already own.)

$300 HDMI cables? P.T. Barnum would have been proud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-23-2007, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
www.videohelp.com
post #3 of 20 Old 01-23-2007, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Jerry,

Check your PMs.

aL
post #4 of 20 Old 01-24-2007, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member

post #5 of 20 Old 01-24-2007, 02:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Ripit4me

http://www.ripit4me.org/guide.html

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #6 of 20 Old 01-24-2007, 06:25 AM

Liked: 90
DVDDecrypter
DVDShrink
DVDFabdecrypter

videohelp.com backup link HERE. Read all about it.
post #7 of 20 Old 01-24-2007, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Gardner View Post

(I'm not doing this to pirate discs, but to strip the crap out of discs I already own.)

You do know that such reasoning is irrelevant to U.S law right? You don't have any legal right to defeat CSS encryption to rip your "own" DVD discs per the Digital Millenium Copyright Act of 1997 - and the few execeptions that have been granted over the years do not permit personal backups at all.

Do I do it? Hell yes. But I always find it amusing when people point this out in their posts. It doesn't make any difference. It would be better to just leave it out, rather than draw attention to "hey I wanna do something illegal but for reasons I consider fair, will you help me?".
post #8 of 20 Old 01-24-2007, 08:08 AM

Liked: 13
Thanks for the legal explanation!
post #9 of 20 Old 01-24-2007, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the clarification on the law, but somehow I think the FBI has better things to do than hunt down and prosecute people who rip their own DVDs! Talk about a victimless crime...

$300 HDMI cables? P.T. Barnum would have been proud.
post #10 of 20 Old 01-24-2007, 11:45 AM

doom9.org
post #11 of 20 Old 01-24-2007, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
One things to remember, unless you are able to burn to dual layer disks you will be further compressing the movie. Many longer movies and higher bitrate movies are larger then a single layer disk can support. So if you are watching on a large screen you very well could be sacrificing video quality.
post #12 of 20 Old 01-24-2007, 12:19 PM

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithb View Post

One things to remember, unless you are able to burn to dual layer disks you will be further compressing the movie. Many longer movies and higher bitrate movies are larger then a single layer disk can support. So if you are watching on a large screen you very well could be sacrificing video quality.

I am watching on a 100" screen and using DVDShrink and keeping the compression to above 80% results in zero visible artifacts. (Of course I can measure a loss in bitrate.) It really is amazing. The newer Nero Recode does an even better job.
And DL discs are coming down in cost. About 60 cents or so each.
post #13 of 20 Old 01-24-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:

I'm tired of sitting through all of the warnings, previews, menus, and all the other crap on some of my more recently purchased DVDs before the movie starts.

I'd like to rip the DVDs on my computer and rewrite them to a DVD-+R so that the disk contains only the movie itself.

I have a PC with a DVD-+R burner and Nero Ultra--do I need any other software to do this? (I'm not doing this to pirate discs, but to strip the crap out of discs I already own.)

Jerry

Mate shhh, you never can tell who's watching?

LOL

Join the club mate! I found a technique that works on some of the three DVD players that I use form time to time the SONY DVP-S336. If I where to hit stop and then play it cuts right to the opening of the film! It only works of some of the films that I have on region 2 DVD.

My Pioneer DV-525 would do more or less the same thing, Star Wars films on region 2 DVD, with the menu and warning this and warning that yeah right I'm shaking in my boots! I just press forwards on the remote and skips though all the intro stuff, but hay you got to play the THX introduction, I don't care for seeing and hearing the Fox introduction you know the one that's full screen. Stuff that one!

Cutting to the chase is what it's all about.
post #14 of 20 Old 01-24-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khyron View Post

You do know that such reasoning is irrelevant to U.S law right? You don't have any legal right to defeat CSS encryption to rip your "own" DVD discs per the Digital Millenium Copyright Act of 1997 - and the few execeptions that have been granted over the years do not permit personal backups at all.

Do I do it? Hell yes. But I always find it amusing when people point this out in their posts. It doesn't make any difference. It would be better to just leave it out, rather than draw attention to "hey I wanna do something illegal but for reasons I consider fair, will you help me?".

Its $250.000 dollar fine, something I doubt you would be able to pay off, it's better to time in Nick! At least you'll be out in less than five years in a federal prison!

Here in the United Kingdom, I think they bumped it up to 20 years in Nick and you don't need that heat do you? I just grim and bare with it and bite my tongue, 20 years in the Nick mate!
post #15 of 20 Old 01-24-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the clarification on the law, but somehow I think the FBI has better things to do than hunt down and prosecute people who rip their own DVDs! Talk about a victimless crime...

Pop on here to the UK and pull that stunt I doubt FACT Federation against Copyright Theft will take it too well, they'll send you down for 20 years in Nick mate!
post #16 of 20 Old 01-24-2007, 01:16 PM

You can also use DVD playback software or players that have bookmarked start points so they skip all that crap on the DVD. I do this on a PC with theatertek, but I think there are DVD players that have this capability as well.
post #17 of 20 Old 01-24-2007, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithb View Post

On my 56" tv I don't see much if any difference if I shrink it to 70% or higher of the original data. Below 70% of the data yes it's getting noticable. Most of the time though the xtrasm menues, and multiple tracks are the ones that take enough place to warrant DL discs on the first place. If you stripp those in most cases all you need is a D5 disc.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #18 of 20 Old 01-24-2007, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 View Post

Pop on here to the UK and pull that stunt I doubt FACT Federation against Copyright Theft will take it too well, they'll send you down for 20 years in Nick mate!

How are they going to catch him in the privacy of his own home? So, he downloads some software. So what? Are they monitoring that? It's not like he's downloading bittorent content. Are they going to kick his door down and confiscate his computer? Seriously, how are they going to find him if he's in the UK? Unless he tells everyone he's doing it, selling it or one of his friends rat him out there is no way to get him.
post #19 of 20 Old 01-25-2007, 05:44 PM

Quote:

And DL discs are coming down in cost. About 60 cents or so each.

Where do you find DLs at this price?

I need them for my home movies, yes, taken with my camcorder, yes, of church picnics and such.
post #20 of 20 Old 01-25-2007, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD-5 View Post

Where do you find DLs at this price?

I need them for my home movies, yes, taken with my camcorder, yes, of church picnics and such.

So Cyrano where can we get them for that price. I've seen them for $1.50 and maybe as low as $1.20 each but nothing near $0.60 per disk.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page