Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 791 Old 07-24-2008, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I too was surprised HL was cast for the role
what a bet !! amazingly perfect casting!!

there's buzz this role changed him, he was so deep into the psychopathy,the darkness, the evil. "could" have had some influence on what happened afterwards... though he was devastated by losing his daughter to his ex wife also. and perhaps indeed he was on some kind of drugs.

what a dark grandiose "memories sticking" finale indeed.... I hope the Oscars don't forget him. for what a post mortem Oscar's worth of course...

the score perfectly matched also every scenes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 791 Old 07-24-2008, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

"At the time of his death, Ledger had just finished playing the villain The Joker in "The Dark Knight," the latest installment in the Batman series. The film is to open in July.

The role disturbed him, according to The Associated Press. He called The Joker a "psychopathic, mass-murdering, schizophrenic clown with zero empathy." Watch Ledger discuss taking on challenging roles »

"Last week, I probably slept an average of two hours a night," Ledger told The New York Times. "I couldn't stop thinking. My body was exhausted, and my mind was still going."

He said prescription sleeping pills didn't help, according to AP. "

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/...ead/index.html
post #363 of 791 Old 07-24-2008, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
If there was ever a movie I wanted ahead of release date so long as the quality was at least reasonable to watch and listen, this would be it.
post #364 of 791 Old 07-24-2008, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

it's a reflection on our society:
good vs evil
the dilemna of choice (which is constant in our lives)
the corruption
the dirty money of the riches (hedge funds ? naked shorting ? derivatives ?)
the issue of dropping the towel, you know, the "I quit" , "can't go one no more"
money money and again money
but still with a glimpse of hope ? is the humanity still breathing ?

there's a lot on this movie, for an action movie that is. it will require several rewatches to appreciate several key moments and dialogues.
post #365 of 791 Old 07-24-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidML3 View Post

Did anyone have a problem with Bale's Batman voice?

They were discussing it on the radio at work the other day. One of the arvo guys hated his voice.

The other said, 'what else is he gonna do? Talk normal. Anyone he spoke to would be going 'yeah, ok Bruce. We know it's you. You can take the mask off!''

I don't mind it at all. Better than having some device that contorts his voice for him. Makes it more real to me that he just gravels up the throat and talks deep.
post #366 of 791 Old 07-24-2008, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The movie is somehow 100 times better when seen at home.

The theater experience is truly distracting.
post #367 of 791 Old 07-24-2008, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post

The movie is somehow 100 times better when seen at home.

The theater experience is truly distracting.

Except at this point your watching an over enhanced TS or even worse a cropped poorly edited CAM.
post #368 of 791 Old 07-24-2008, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital2004 View Post

good vs evil
the corruption
the issue of dropping the towel, you know, the "I quit" , "can't go one no more"

there's a lot on this movie, for an action movie that is. it will require several rewatches to appreciate several key moments and dialogues.

I don't know about you guys, but after the movie ended I sat there for five minutes as the credits passed by, just thinking how special of a movie this was. I felt like I had just finished watching one of the great movies of all times. There are weak points, but every great movie has them. I think that Ledgers performance and the depth of the script is what will keep this as one of those all time great movies.

Funny thing is in many ways I went in thinking that I would be dissappointed. I often end up that way as I get overly excited about a movie. Spiderman 3 comes to mind. But I can honestly say that it actually exceeding my expectations. As good as the trailers were, I can hardly watch them now because the movie was SO much BETTER.

Haven't felt this way about a movie since.... maybe the matrix. or LOTRs 3.

Time will tell.

HD DVD: 45 SD DVD: 350 BR: 120
PCs: 12, Mame Arcade:1, HD HTPC: 1, WHS Server: 1, HD A3: 2, HD-A30: 1

post #369 of 791 Old 07-24-2008, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goughy View Post

They were discussing it on the radio at work the other day. One of the arvo guys hated his voice.

The other said, 'what else is he gonna do? Talk normal. Anyone he spoke to would be going 'yeah, ok Bruce. We know it's you. You can take the mask off!''

I don't mind it at all. Better than having some device that contorts his voice for him. Makes it more real to me that he just gravels up the throat and talks deep.

I also think it fits into the image of the batman that they are trying to portray. I think previous attempts to just use a deeper voice were not as effective.

post #370 of 791 Old 07-24-2008, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmarchini View Post

I still can't get over the fact that it is the same guy who plays William Thatcher in A Knight's Tale

His second best after The Joker is "The Four Feathers", check it out. That movie is in my all time top ten.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steam: Guts
post #371 of 791 Old 07-24-2008, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmarchini View Post

I don't know about you guys, but after the movie ended I sat there for five minutes as the credits passed by, just thinking how special of a movie this was. I felt like I had just finished watching one of the great movies of all times. There are weak points, but every great movie has them. I think that Ledgers performance and the depth of the script is what will keep this as one of those all time great movies.

I always watch the credits anyway... I think the only weak point is what is happening to the Murcielago!

...I agree with you 300%. As for Ledger's performance, he literally disappear behind his character. One psychopatic demented clown that you love to watch because he's just too good.
post #372 of 791 Old 07-24-2008, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

And I love his disappearing pen trick!

Free cake! Free cake!
- Mordecai and Rigby

Think small, project big!

post #373 of 791 Old 07-24-2008, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor-eyd View Post

And I love his disappearing pen trick!

it was a pencil
post #374 of 791 Old 07-24-2008, 08:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalnoise View Post

it was a pencil

I've heard of "eating lead" but man, that was ridiculous...

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #375 of 791 Old 07-24-2008, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 34
This was obviously a movie with a great deal of thought behind it, made with loving care, yet to me in many ways it was sort of a misfire. Batman Begins had many flaws, but for me it is at the top of the comic book movies. This one was more sophisticated and achieved what it set out to do, but it was cold and clinical. The ferry boat business was not enough to give it the heart it needed.

It wasted Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman this go round. Maggie Gylllenhaal is a much more accomplished actress than Katie Holmes, but she doesn't have that girl-next-door, you-want-to-protect-her quality that Holmes brought to the role. Aaron Eckhart was good, but his role as some sort of Christ figure was needed for points made of him good, Batman bad, but I found it a bit tiresome. I couldn't find any fault with Gary Oldman's Gordon.

And then there is Heath Ledger's Joker. It's a virtuoso turn, to be sure, but his character was sort of a dead end. His anarchy set the audience up wanting some sort of release, but it never came. He dealt out violence, he welcomed violence when it was dealt to him. You kept seeing him doing vicious things over and over in the same way other people would mail a letter. Intellectually it shows an intriguing idea, but dramatically it wasn't terribly fulfilling.

And it was just too long, and toward the end just kept repeating itself, and its logic constricted in the manner of a nightmare so that the showdown in the building was incomprehensible. This might have been a sort of wink at the audience, as most of the fights in both films were impossible and filmed in a way that made them hard to follow.

Yet for all its faults it's a pretty good film. But I wanted more. I think I blame Frank Miller, but I'm not really sure.

CW Hinkle
post #376 of 791 Old 07-24-2008, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

This was obviously a movie with a great deal of thought behind it, made with loving care, yet to me in many ways it was sort of a misfire. Batman Begins had many flaws, but for me it is at the top of the comic book movies. This one was more sophisticated and achieved what it set out to do, but it was cold and clinical. The ferry boat business was not enough to give it the heart it needed.

It wasted Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman this go round. Maggie Gylllenhaal is a much more accomplished actress than Katie Holmes, but she doesn't have that girl-next-door, you-want-to-protect-her quality that Holmes brought to the role.

completely disagree about alfred and fox...every piece of dialogue they had and scene they were in they were in was important, especially alfred. He is and always has been batmans rock and voice of reason.
post #377 of 791 Old 07-24-2008, 09:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

It wasted Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman this go round. Maggie Gylllenhaal is a much more accomplished actress than Katie Holmes, but she doesn't have that girl-next-door, you-want-to-protect-her quality that Holmes brought to the role.

I don't even know where to begin, as I felt like you didn't see the same movie I and most everyone else did.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #378 of 791 Old 07-24-2008, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I mistakenly pushed "Post Quick Reply" too early. Read the rest of what I had to say and you'll really be annoyed.

CW Hinkle
post #379 of 791 Old 07-24-2008, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

good vs evil
the corruption

I agree with your last comment, i certainly do not understand everything going on in the movie. The characters kept fearing corrupt cops ... but where were these turncoats?

I didn't find it a particularly good reflection of our society though ...
post #380 of 791 Old 07-24-2008, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I mistakenly pushed "Post Quick Reply" too early. Read the rest of what I had to say and you'll really be annoyed.

I agree with you completely Shaded ... the characters, were tiring in their repetition, and not that satisfying. And it was ALL the characters that suffered, so i definitely blame the production and not the actors.

Also, they did not film Maggie well ... she was adorable in "Stranger Than Fiction" and "The Secretary", in this movie she seemed average and was just going through the paces.

And Batman wasn't even that sympathetic of a character, in all honesty. I wanted him to win fights, but I could care less if he got the girl.

I could not imagine watching a Spiderman movie, and not caring if Spiderman got Kirsten Dunst!
post #381 of 791 Old 07-24-2008, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

it's the Joker this movie + stunning action scenes without the cgi galore (CGI is really super limited and i say good!)
now i think they'll have a hard time working on the third and last opus. kill the bat ?

as for "hair" dressed on your forearms, chilling feeling, emotions, Gladiator was amazing.
to me. it has faded over time now a bit. (some will say it was a chicks movie)
THE DARK KNIGHT is really really about the Joker, evil. more than even , more than the first one (B BEGINS) , TDK feels realistic. which makes it somehow scary.
it's a lot about insecurity.
I can understand Heath was affected by his role, this went far (the twisted psychic level, some roles in the cinema went further but on other levels).
post #382 of 791 Old 07-24-2008, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

it's the Joker this movie + stunning action scenes without the cgi galore (CGI is really super limited and i say good!)
now i think they'll have a hard time working on the third and last opus. kill the bat ?

as for "hair" dressed on your forearms, chilling feeling, emotions, Gladiator was amazing.
to me. it has faded over time now a bit. (some will say it was a chicks movie)
THE DARK KNIGHT is really really about the Joker, evil. more than even , more than the first one (B BEGINS) , TDK feels realistic. which makes it somehow scary.
it's a lot about insecurity.
I can understand Heath was affected by his role, this went far (the twisted psychic level, some roles in the cinema went further but on other levels).

Yeah, I hear you. I remember thinking Independence day was such a great movie. In the end, it was just a techno version of War of the Worlds.

You need to wait about 10 years I think. The Matrix is about there, and I do think it is one of those top 20/30 films. Not sure about Titanic. JP might because it was actually a pretty unique story. Same with the matrix. There were other before, but not to that level.

I am thinking about this now. I currently think this is better that Batman the Movie, but was it? Will it be in 20 years?

It is PC and easy to say that HLs performance was better because we all just saw it. But Nicholsons performance was also really good. Interesting in that they were both portayed as radically different character, but I honestly don't know which one is really better. HLs is truer to the comic and amazing, but Nicholson was given the same aclaim then as well. Jack was really good when you rethink about his performance.

I think the thing that Nicholson got that was lost a little with ledger was the witty comedy. There is some good laughs with HL, but I think Nicholson captured that aspect better.

post #383 of 791 Old 07-24-2008, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

well HL performance is way above in terms of 'evil' and psycho.

as for keeping its wow effect over time, some movies or i'd say many don't lose nothing of their power. at least some scenes , whether emotions of impressiveness (the cliff scene in THE LOST WORLD, several scenes of WAR OF THE WORLDS, the chopper scene in the Matrix, somes scenes in AS GOOD AS IT GETS, Schindlers' list etc etc)
here too TDK will keep having memorable scenes.
it's not perfect and even a tad long. some or a lot its BO office nr is about THE JOKER by Heath and Heath's last movie.
we're glad to have all these great movies and owning them for such low price. it's amazing to own for $5-30 a movie when you see the price of so many other things !!!
post #384 of 791 Old 07-25-2008, 01:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
SOB!
You guys are making my wait for the BD more agonizing (not playing in the commercial DLP theater I go to).

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #385 of 791 Old 07-25-2008, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

SOB!
You guys are making my wait for the BD more agonizing (not playing in the commercial DLP theater I go to).

Mine didn't have it either so I went to see it on film. Still looked HD to me. Of course, I saw it Saturday morning so the film was sill fresh and not that degraded. And it was setup pretty good as well.

post #386 of 791 Old 07-25-2008, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If a way can be found to remove grain and NOT detail, I am all for it.

"If a way can be found to remove part of the movie and NOT remove part of the movie, I am all for it"
post #387 of 791 Old 07-25-2008, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Nicholson's Joker was written to be more camp that Ledger's,but both of them played their particular version of the Joker to perfection.It's much easier to compare the Batman actors as they're all essentially portraying the same type of character.The Joker in Dark Knight and the Joker in Batman 89 are not the same type of character.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #388 of 791 Old 07-25-2008, 06:27 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

The Joker in Dark Knight and the Joker in Batman 89 are not the same type of character.

Agreed. However, I was never that impressed with Nicholson's performance. It certainly didn't give the impression that Ledger's did, but like you said, they were written differently. One thing that really stands out in my mind about Ledgers performance, and I believe someone may have posted this early, was that after a few initial laughs at the Jokers antics, the audience didn't laugh at things that may have brought a giggle if it was another actor doing it.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #389 of 791 Old 07-25-2008, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

The Joker in Dark Knight and the Joker in Batman 89 are not the same type of character.

And although I really like the "Tim Burton's universe", I prefer, by far, the newest Batman franchise... I like the fact that it's, indeed, darker, mostly due to the characters and their motivations.
post #390 of 791 Old 07-25-2008, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Agreed. However, I was never that impressed with Nicholson's performance. It certainly didn't give the impression that Ledger's did, but like you said, they were written differently. One thing that really stands out in my mind about Ledgers performance, and I believe someone may have posted this early, was that after a few initial laughs at the Jokers antics, the audience didn't laugh at things that may have brought a giggle if it was another actor doing it.

I enjoyed Jack's portrayal; however I've not seen Batman 89 in years(when the hell is the bluray coming for that) so my impression of it may change after seeing Heath's portrayal. Heath's Joker will certainly be more memorable,as I believe it was written to be so.Jack's Joker was a great villian,but Heath's may go down as one of the great movie villians in cinema history.Only time will tell.Jack's humor was more about verbal jokes and gags; Heath's was in the little things he did.

Again,these characters were written completely different.I would go as far as to say that Heath's Joker would work well in both Dark Knight and Batman 89,Jack's version wouldn't work in Dark Knight.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page