The Dark Knight is now... - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 791 Old 08-01-2008, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I loved the film and I'm going to see it in Imax this weekend. As for Heath Ledger dying that is tragic, but he did do it to himself. I thought this was one of the better performances I've seen. He was just so disgusting through the whole film, and that's how it should have been.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 791 Old 08-01-2008, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweiss View Post

There already exists a good killer-in-whiteface/clownface movie.

And it, too, stars a died-tragically-and-too-young actor.

The movie is THE CROW, and the deceased star was Brandon Lee.

THE CROW is a better movie than THE DARK KNIGHT, and Brandon Lee was a better and more memorable character than Heath Ledger.

But you already knew this, didn't you?

Nope, actually I didn't.

post #543 of 791 Old 08-01-2008, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
The CROW better.....??

(I'll edit this when I pick myself up off the floor after a looonnnnng laughing spell!)
post #544 of 791 Old 08-01-2008, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy View Post

In a new product meeting this morning somebody mentioned afterwards that several times I used the word "problem" when I should have said "product".

Pretty funny I agree, but I gotta watch that at work, the guys left after 2AM and I got about four hours sleep last night.

I won't edit "Morgan Fairchild" to "Morgan Freeman" so people will know what we are talking about.

The best Batman movie and the best pair of Batman movies so far, is the bottom line. I sat about center seat, center row, second section so the theater screen subtended approximately the same angles as my home theater screen. From that distance I did not see much evidence of visible CGI - even on TwoFace's gory visage, where I knew it was present.

Scarecrow, TwoFace, and the Joker - all classic Batman villians from the comics. Well done is all I can say.

Michael Caine deserves a Nomination for Best Supporting actor IMHO. He has reliably and professionally delivered great performances in several recent films, Batman Begins, Children of Men, and The Prestige among them. I still remember being blown away by one of his first substantial roles in the 1964 film Zulu, which I saw on an anamorphic 16mm film print while in the military.

This film deserves a STRONG dsciussion for BPO, SA(HL, and director ..potentiall SA for Maggie(at leasst a nomination)like I've previously mentioned.

Hopefully I can go see this @ the Warren this weekend...my first viewing was 2nd rate!
post #545 of 791 Old 08-01-2008, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital2004 View Post

funny, i played the soundtrack a bit today too (powerful) in the main HT.

constipation?

The Tumbler is one baddddd car but the 89er might be the coolest car ever built!
post #546 of 791 Old 08-01-2008, 06:18 PM

lets not forget the #1 movie of all time on IMDB
post #547 of 791 Old 08-01-2008, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 38
What's IMDB? Wait, don't answer that.....

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #548 of 791 Old 08-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post

Both my wife and I agreed that the movie was far less than the sum of its parts. While the actors each did fine jobs and the special effects were excellent, as was the music, the plot was a complete mess leaving no satisfaction in our camp at all. Hype can't make a movie...a fact I keep learning over and over to Hollywood's everlasting enjoyment.

Same here except why would they use that piglet for Rachel when they had more beautiful women to pick from.

My wife couldn't believe that 2 handsome men would even look at her, much less be in love with her!!!

...finally retired and spending time in my HT!!!

My equipment consists of:

Epson 9500 UB Projector; 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panasonic BD30 Player, Toshiba HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers (Center, Towers, Rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TW HD Cable Box. 

post #549 of 791 Old 08-02-2008, 02:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector View Post

Same here except why would they use that piglet for Rachel when they had more beautiful women to pick from.

My wife couldn't believe that 2 handsome men would even look at her, much less be in love with her!!!

To Wayne's credit he fell in love with her when she was Katie Holmes...can't say much for Harvey lol
post #550 of 791 Old 08-13-2008, 09:24 PM

Saw it twice, but don't understand the Scarecrow tried to poison Gotham city and then he's out and about trying to get the mob?
post #551 of 791 Old 08-13-2008, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsaints View Post

Saw it twice, but don't understand the Scarecrow tried to poison Gotham city and then he's out and about trying to get the mob?

No no.

He was selling his poison to those russian mobsters, then those batman impersonators showed up to try and stop them.
post #552 of 791 Old 08-14-2008, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by SbWillie View Post

The Tumbler is one baddddd car but the 89er might be the coolest car ever built!

It's not the Batmobile that gets my attention on your pics.

I never really cared for the Batmobile, it looks too much like a toy. The Tumbler looks "real".
post #553 of 791 Old 08-14-2008, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsaints View Post

It was as the following poster described, but this movie really started out on a low point as I was confused too. By tying up the imposter Batmen next to the Scarecrow, it made it seem like they were all trying to be vigilantes against the Russian mob.

Your mom is a classy lady!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/ 

post #554 of 791 Old 08-14-2008, 06:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 View Post

It was as the following poster described, but this movie really started out on a low point as I was confused too. By tying up the imposter Batmen next to the Scarecrow, it made it seem like they were all trying to be vigilantes against the Russian mob.

+1. One of the problems of this movie (and I know it's heresy to say this movie had problems in this thread - so sue me, it did) was the stunningly quick way they introduced and then disposed of two of Batman's strongest and most interesting enemies, Sandman and Two-Face. (Was it the "same" Sandman in the Spiderman movies?) Those were great villains that they could have built a sequel around. Harvey Dent's instant transformation from righteous crusader to evil killer villain just because he got disfigured, lost a girlfriend, and had a conversation with the Joker was absolutely ridiculous. C'mon, how could people think that was even remotely realistic character development?

This may be the most overrated movie of all time. Yeah, yeah, so sue me; it was, box office be darned.
post #555 of 791 Old 08-14-2008, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

+1. One of the problems of this movie (and I know it's heresy to say this movie had problems in this thread - so sue me, it did) was the stunningly quick way they introduced and then disposed of two of Batman's strongest and most interesting enemies, Sandman and Two-Face. (Was it the "same" Sandman in the Spiderman movies?)

Sandman???

I think you're thinking of the Scarecrow, but that's a bit of a stretch.
post #556 of 791 Old 08-14-2008, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Harvey Dent's instant transformation from righteous crusader to evil killer villain just because he got disfigured, lost a girlfriend, and had a conversation with the Joker was absolutely ridiculous. C'mon, how could people think that was even remotely realistic character development?

Well I would be pissed too if I suddenly had my right side left ... But Dent thinks he has lost everything, not only his girlfriend or his face, but also his cause, what he stood for. He shouldn't be alive, he'd have prefer to die if that meant Rachel could have been saved instead. And he doesn't become an "evil killer villain" imo... He's angry at Batman because he saved him and not Rachel. He wants to avenge the fact that he survived; still being alive is the injustice.
post #557 of 791 Old 08-14-2008, 11:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmoGamecoq View Post

Sandman???

I think you're thinking of the Scarecrow, but that's a bit of a stretch.

Yeah, you're right. Hard to keep all these evildoers straight. It confusinates me.
post #558 of 791 Old 08-14-2008, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

+1. One of the problems of this movie (and I know it's heresy to say this movie had problems in this thread - so sue me, it did) was the stunningly quick way they introduced and then disposed of two of Batman's strongest and most interesting enemies, Sandman and Two-Face. (Was it the "same" Sandman in the Spiderman movies?) Those were great villains that they could have built a sequel around. Harvey Dent's instant transformation from righteous crusader to evil killer villain just because he got disfigured, lost a girlfriend, and had a conversation with the Joker was absolutely ridiculous. C'mon, how could people think that was even remotely realistic character development?

This may be the most overrated movie of all time. Yeah, yeah, so sue me; it was, box office be darned.

Wow dude, you're critiziing the movie when you don't even know that he was Scarecrow? And you actually thought he was the same Sandman from Spiderman 3??

Whoa

And it wasn't so sudden either. There were signs that Dent wasn't as good as his "white knight" image was. When he punched that dude in the courtroom, and when he took that schizophrenic guy working for the joker hostage and nearly killed him in the alley. Remember? Once all that crazy stuff happened, yes it pushed him over the edge.
post #559 of 791 Old 08-14-2008, 02:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:

C'mon, how could people think that was even remotely realistic character development?

You're looking for realistic character development in a movie about a guy who dresses up in a bat costume and uses gymnastics moves to fight crime?

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #560 of 791 Old 08-14-2008, 02:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

You're looking for realistic character development in a movie about a guy who dresses up in a bat costume and uses gymnastics moves to fight crime?

Well sure. Isn't that why Spiderman was a good film? Just because the movie is part of this current wave of superhero films doesn't mean it should get a free pass on one of the key elements of any good story, does it? Frankly Josh, you kind of surprised me there.

And while I agree that Dent was a bit hotheaded, instantly going to full-on evil was jarringly unrealistic. I'd say it took me out of the film, but that had already happened by that point with the super close-ups, super-quick cutting & super shaky cam that effectively hid many of those expensive special effects I was so jacked up to see (although that's not an exclusive sin of this film; happens all the time these days - this flick was just worse than usual in that regard).
post #561 of 791 Old 08-14-2008, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

(Was it the "same" Sandman in the Spiderman movies?)

The universes (Marvel & DC comics) have yet to cross in cinema. There was the "giant" Spiderman vs Superman comic-joint in the late 70s (and perhaps a few others), but that's was on paper only.

I'm still waiting on a Hulk vs Supes concept. Should be an interesting movie; that is, once someone gets the idea to secure the rights and an agreement is made between studios.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #562 of 791 Old 08-14-2008, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well sure. Isn't that why Spiderman was a good film? Just because the movie is part of this current wave of superhero films doesn't mean it should get a free pass on one of the key elements of any good story, does it? Frankly Josh, you kind of surprised me there.

And while I agree that Dent was a bit hotheaded, instantly going to full-on evil was jarringly unrealistic. I'd say it took me out of the film, but that had already happened by that point with the super close-ups, super-quick cutting & super shaky cam that effectively hid many of those expensive special effects I was so jacked up to see (although that's not an exclusive sin of this film; happens all the time these days - this flick was just worse than usual in that regard).

Did you even see Batman Begins?

You need to watch it again, I don't think you will feel the same way. I admit I felt similar to how you did after my first viewing because I was so wrapped up in the hype that I wasn't even really paying attention.

Watch it again, and pay careful attention to EVERY scene and each piece of dialogue. This film is as close to a masterpiece that we've seen in a long time.
post #563 of 791 Old 08-14-2008, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Anyone else notice this big hole, I think it was created in editing for time:

Maroni tells someone (sorry, don't remember if it was Gordon or who) that he knows where the Joker will be "this afternoon". We then have the Joker on the boat about to burn the money. He even comments, "Where is the Italian?" At the same time (sorry, don't remember the exact order of the cuts) Gordon and some cops are getting ready to make a raid. Then...nothing. Joker burns the money, then new, not-directly related scenes. None of this pans out.

So, on DVD are we going to get another half-hour or so scene of the cops failing to catch the Joker on the boat?
post #564 of 791 Old 08-14-2008, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

Anyone else notice this big hole, I think it was created in editing for time:

Maroni tells someone (sorry, don't remember if it was Gordon or who) that he knows where the Joker will be "this afternoon". We then have the Joker on the boat about to burn the money. He even comments, "Where is the Italian?" At the same time (sorry, don't remember the exact order of the cuts) Gordon and some cops are getting ready to make a raid. Then...nothing. Joker burns the money, then new, not-directly related scenes. None of this pans out.

So, on DVD are we going to get another half-hour or so scene of the cops failing to catch the Joker on the boat?

You forgot about the phone call he made to the news broadcast which started the whole fiasco with the hospitals in Gotham
post #565 of 791 Old 08-14-2008, 06:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:

Well sure. Isn't that why Spiderman was a good film?

Only if you believe that Spider-Man is a good film, which frankly I do not.

Quote:

Just because the movie is part of this current wave of superhero films doesn't mean it should get a free pass on one of the key elements of any good story, does it? Frankly Josh, you kind of surprised me there.

Oh, I was just kidding.

I'm a little late in seeing the movie, and I haven't read this entire thread, so forgive me if I repeat things that have been discussed earlier.

I didn't have a problem with this aspect of the story. The guy's head was dipped in toxic waste and half his face melted off. It's explicitly said that he's in excruciating pain and refuses to take any pain killers. Rational thought is not exactly in the cards at that point. In fact, if he had behaved normally, that's what I would have considered unrealistic.

The problem I had with the movie is that it was just too long, with too many subplots. The entire Harvey Dent storyline could have been more effectively saved for the next sequel, where they could flesh it out a lot more. I liked the movie, but by the end it was wearing me down.

Also, the IMAX presentation looked like garbage. All of the non-IMAX 35mm footage was DNR'ed and edge enhanced to hell. Blowing it up to fill the IMAX screen only made it look worse.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #566 of 791 Old 08-14-2008, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Only if you believe that Spider-Man is a good film, which frankly I do not.

Oh, I was just kidding.

I'm a little late in seeing the movie, and I haven't read this entire thread, so forgive me if I repeat things that have been discussed earlier.

I didn't have a problem with this aspect of the story. The guy's head was dipped in toxic waste and half his face melted off. It's explicitly said that he's in excruciating pain and refuses to take any pain killers. Rational thought is not exactly in the cards at that point. In fact, if he had behaved normally, that's what I would have considered unrealistic.

The problem I had with the movie is that it was just too long, with too many subplots. The entire Harvey Dent storyline could have been more effectively saved for the next sequel, where they could flesh it out a lot more. I liked the movie, but by the end it was wearing me down.

Also, the IMAX presentation looked like garbage. All of the non-IMAX 35mm footage was DNR'ed and edge enhanced to hell. Blowing it up to fill the IMAX screen only made it look worse.

I too, felt this way after my first viewing. After my 2nd viewing I realized the whole point of the story and Joker would have been void without Dent turning.
post #567 of 791 Old 08-14-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:

We were about 3/4th of the way back, IMAX. I thought the 35mm sections looked fine, but of course, the IMAX sections had a lot more detail. I've seen a couple of recent 35mm films on 35mm, and 35mm source presented on IMAX is way better.

The story line was ok, but not as good as "The Prestige", a similar Nolan production.
post #568 of 791 Old 08-14-2008, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Harvey Dent is
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
not dead. I'm sure he'll be back in the next sequel...

The Harvey Dent storyline was necessary because
Spoiler  
Harvey Dent was part of the Joker plan (although the Joker has no plan, he's not a schemer, I know but you get my point)
post #569 of 791 Old 08-14-2008, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Harvey Dent is
Spoiler  
not dead. I'm sure he'll be back in the next sequel...

The Harvey Dent storyline was necessary because
Spoiler  
Harvey Dent was part of the Joker plan (although the Joker has no plan, he's not a schemer, I know but you get my point)

He better be dead.

I don't think we need spoiler tags anymore
post #570 of 791 Old 08-15-2008, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBFilmGuy View Post

He better be dead.

Why?