Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-07-2007, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
A new DVD release of this Irwin Allen sci-fi flic. The "Seaview" is one of the coolest vessels in any movie, so it might be worth revisiting the movie just to enjoy that. If anyone already has this and can comment on the picture quality, please do.

You can identify the new DVD release by its special name, the "Global Warming Edition." I kid you not. Think some people haven't lost their minds over this abrupt-climate-change hysteria? Oh, well, it fits with the plot of the movie, which I won't spoil.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-07-2007, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Every time VTTBOTS plays on TV I have very carefully checked out the image quality in the area immediately surrounding the (then) 27-year-old Barbara Eden. It looks good! I remember watching this one at the theater when I was 11, and paying a quarter for admission to a matinee. The well-endowed Eden was a goddess to an 11-year-old boy.

About the DVD quality I cannot comment. The film is typical early color stock (kind of grainy) and the OAR is 2.35:1. Unfortunately when shown on TV it is most often cropped to 4:3.

The Cold War was barely underway when this was new, and the Cuban Missile Crisis had not yet happened. Later that same year we all became aware of the true use of those nuclear submarines, which had only been publicly acknowledged for 5 years. The year before this film at the UN a little fat bald man had taken off his shoe and pounded on the desk and threatened to bury us. The tension racheted higher until relieved by a wonderfull movie called Dr. Strangelove.

Watch for several cast members in the movie who subsequently played in the spin-off TV series.

Gary

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #3 of 10 Old 06-07-2007, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy View Post

About the DVD quality I cannot comment. The film is typical early color stock (kind of grainy) and the OAR is 2.35:1. Unfortunately when shown on TV it is most often cropped to 4:3.

HDNet Movies has telecast it in 1080i HD OAR. That's the way to see it.
post #4 of 10 Old 06-07-2007, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I think I saw this on in HD on UHD or INHD a while back. "global warming edition"? Too funny. Barbara Eden was most definitely #1 when I was a kid in her genie outfit. Didn't miss a show.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #5 of 10 Old 06-07-2007, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

"global warming edition"? Too funny. ...

It is sci-fi, after all.

The release notice I saw for this DVD made mention of Barbara Eden's "form-fitting" suit. Enticing for "Genie" fans.

Defend liberty.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-07-2007, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

You can identify the new DVD release by its special name, the "Global Warming Edition."

What's up with that? The next thing you know they will be coming out with Airport (Terrorists Edition). Let the hysteria continue.

Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 4.0), English (Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround).

What the heck is DD 4.0? Never heard of that one before.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-07-2007, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

(previous post on DD4.0 deleted; better information follows)

Defend liberty.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-08-2007, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 38
That is in fact the original soundtrack mix. It was a 4-channel format made for the theaters back when audio was delivered from vacuum tube amplifiers. The theater I saw VTTBOTS in had four huge Altec Lansing "Voice of the Theater" speakers, high-efficiency horn designs that filled a theater when driven with 10 watt tube amplifiers.

VTTBOTS was mixed in four channel sound on what was called the "Westrex Recording System", essentially an analog multichannel system manufactured by the cinema sound division of Western Electric. Cinemascope distribution prints were available in two main formats, 35mm with optical sound (for older theaters) and 70mm with magnetic sound (the preferred format).

I like the fact that we got the original soundtrack mix on the DVD. When one records a 4.0 channel format into a digital system that supports 5.1 or better, the missing channels are simply zeroes, and the sound compresses nicely. Very likely they simply used some dynamic expansion to reduce the audible hiss from the analog master tapes.

Gary

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #9 of 10 Old 06-08-2007, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Great info, Gary. You always seem to have the straight scoop! You really contribute to the reasons AVS Forum is such a valuable resource.

Defend liberty.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-10-2007, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Gary nailed it quire nicely, but for those still a little foggy on the 4.0 sound format, this indicates four discrete channels of audio, being the left/center/right/and mono surround track. While the channel configuration is identical to Dolby Surround/Pro-Logic, having the tracks kept in their original discrete (no cross-mixing) 4-channel form provides superior separation over the previously used matrix encoded Dolby formats.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page