Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews > Other Areas of Interest > Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion > Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea

Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

IAM4UK's Avatar IAM4UK
08:46 AM Liked: 24
post #1 of 10
06-07-2007 | Posts: 6,052
A new DVD release of this Irwin Allen sci-fi flic. The "Seaview" is one of the coolest vessels in any movie, so it might be worth revisiting the movie just to enjoy that. If anyone already has this and can comment on the picture quality, please do.

You can identify the new DVD release by its special name, the "Global Warming Edition." I kid you not. Think some people haven't lost their minds over this abrupt-climate-change hysteria? Oh, well, it fits with the plot of the movie, which I won't spoil.
Gary McCoy's Avatar Gary McCoy
10:21 AM Liked: 48
post #2 of 10
06-07-2007 | Posts: 6,266
Every time VTTBOTS plays on TV I have very carefully checked out the image quality in the area immediately surrounding the (then) 27-year-old Barbara Eden. It looks good! I remember watching this one at the theater when I was 11, and paying a quarter for admission to a matinee. The well-endowed Eden was a goddess to an 11-year-old boy.

About the DVD quality I cannot comment. The film is typical early color stock (kind of grainy) and the OAR is 2.35:1. Unfortunately when shown on TV it is most often cropped to 4:3.

The Cold War was barely underway when this was new, and the Cuban Missile Crisis had not yet happened. Later that same year we all became aware of the true use of those nuclear submarines, which had only been publicly acknowledged for 5 years. The year before this film at the UN a little fat bald man had taken off his shoe and pounded on the desk and threatened to bury us. The tension racheted higher until relieved by a wonderfull movie called Dr. Strangelove.

Watch for several cast members in the movie who subsequently played in the spin-off TV series.

Gary
archiguy's Avatar archiguy
10:44 AM Liked: 789
post #3 of 10
06-07-2007 | Posts: 18,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy View Post

About the DVD quality I cannot comment. The film is typical early color stock (kind of grainy) and the OAR is 2.35:1. Unfortunately when shown on TV it is most often cropped to 4:3.

HDNet Movies has telecast it in 1080i HD OAR. That's the way to see it.
PooperScooper's Avatar PooperScooper
11:00 AM Liked: 595
post #4 of 10
06-07-2007 | Posts: 20,042
I think I saw this on in HD on UHD or INHD a while back. "global warming edition"? Too funny. Barbara Eden was most definitely #1 when I was a kid in her genie outfit. Didn't miss a show.

larry
IAM4UK's Avatar IAM4UK
12:15 PM Liked: 24
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

"global warming edition"? Too funny. ...

It is sci-fi, after all.

The release notice I saw for this DVD made mention of Barbara Eden's "form-fitting" suit. Enticing for "Genie" fans.
Aliens's Avatar Aliens
01:12 PM Liked: 510
post #6 of 10
06-07-2007 | Posts: 8,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

You can identify the new DVD release by its special name, the "Global Warming Edition."

What's up with that? The next thing you know they will be coming out with Airport (Terrorists Edition). Let the hysteria continue.

Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 4.0), English (Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround).

What the heck is DD 4.0? Never heard of that one before.
IAM4UK's Avatar IAM4UK
01:33 PM Liked: 24
post #7 of 10
(previous post on DD4.0 deleted; better information follows)
Gary McCoy's Avatar Gary McCoy
12:53 PM Liked: 48
post #8 of 10
06-08-2007 | Posts: 6,266
That is in fact the original soundtrack mix. It was a 4-channel format made for the theaters back when audio was delivered from vacuum tube amplifiers. The theater I saw VTTBOTS in had four huge Altec Lansing "Voice of the Theater" speakers, high-efficiency horn designs that filled a theater when driven with 10 watt tube amplifiers.

VTTBOTS was mixed in four channel sound on what was called the "Westrex Recording System", essentially an analog multichannel system manufactured by the cinema sound division of Western Electric. Cinemascope distribution prints were available in two main formats, 35mm with optical sound (for older theaters) and 70mm with magnetic sound (the preferred format).

I like the fact that we got the original soundtrack mix on the DVD. When one records a 4.0 channel format into a digital system that supports 5.1 or better, the missing channels are simply zeroes, and the sound compresses nicely. Very likely they simply used some dynamic expansion to reduce the audible hiss from the analog master tapes.

Gary
IAM4UK's Avatar IAM4UK
01:34 PM Liked: 24
post #9 of 10
06-08-2007 | Posts: 6,052
Great info, Gary. You always seem to have the straight scoop! You really contribute to the reasons AVS Forum is such a valuable resource.
GregK's Avatar GregK
10:37 AM Liked: 17
post #10 of 10
06-10-2007 | Posts: 566
Gary nailed it quire nicely, but for those still a little foggy on the 4.0 sound format, this indicates four discrete channels of audio, being the left/center/right/and mono surround track. While the channel configuration is identical to Dolby Surround/Pro-Logic, having the tracks kept in their original discrete (no cross-mixing) 4-channel form provides superior separation over the previously used matrix encoded Dolby formats.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Subscribe to this Thread