10,000 Bc - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 130 Old 07-14-2007, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Has there been a thread started on this yet? Looks pretty cool.
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/180972...standardformat

-Kevin

Epson 5020UB 1080p 3LCD projector

Screen Innovations Black Diamond Zero Edge 1.4 110" 16:9

Marantz AV8801 pre/pro

Wyred4Sound 5-channel amp

Oppo BDP-105

Darbee Darblet

JTR 3TX LCRs

JTR Single8 HT-LP surrounds

twin JTR Orbit Shifter LF subwoofers

GIK Acoustic room treatments

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 130 Old 07-14-2007, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks bombastic.

Hard to tell if it's going to be a good story or not. I wonder of those Cavemen from Geico will make an appearance
post #3 of 130 Old 07-14-2007, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post

Has there been a thread started on this yet? Looks pretty cool.
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/180972...standardformat

I agree, looks pretty cool... I was about to post a thread but saw this one.
post #4 of 130 Old 07-14-2007, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Trailer looked great, however Roland Emmerich is a crappy director (Godzilla, Independence Day), and the movie has no recognizable star names except for Camilla Belle and Omar Sharif. And aside from the sabre tooth tiger and mammoth stampede and what looks like some hand to hand battles, one has to wonder how interesting this will be over 2 hours.
This movie's release has been delayed twice, never a good sign usually.
post #5 of 130 Old 07-14-2007, 09:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 410
I have yet to see a Roland Emmerich movie that didn't suck. No reason to think that leopard's going to change his spots anytime soon.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #6 of 130 Old 07-14-2007, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
I'm quite good at checkin the ole brain. Visually alone it could be stunning....and even if not accurate at all a visualization of what life might have been like back then. I'm sure I'll catch it.

-Kevin

Epson 5020UB 1080p 3LCD projector

Screen Innovations Black Diamond Zero Edge 1.4 110" 16:9

Marantz AV8801 pre/pro

Wyred4Sound 5-channel amp

Oppo BDP-105

Darbee Darblet

JTR 3TX LCRs

JTR Single8 HT-LP surrounds

twin JTR Orbit Shifter LF subwoofers

GIK Acoustic room treatments

post #7 of 130 Old 07-14-2007, 10:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

I have yet to see a Roland Emmerich movie that didn't suck. No reason to think that leopard's going to change his spots anytime soon.

Didn't like Independence Day or Stargate?

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #8 of 130 Old 07-14-2007, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
movie is gonna be horrible

it'll be huge on opening weekend due to endless ads stuffed down your throat and then it will taper off in a hurry..
post #9 of 130 Old 07-15-2007, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Towerman from AICN has seen a rough cut:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
The lights dim and movie begins with the Warner Brothers logo superimposed over a snow covered landscape. We soon see a scene where Camiila Belle's character(Evolet) as a child is undergoing a spiritual ceremony conducted by her tribe's spiritual leader, an old woman named Old Mother( Mona Hammond). At the same time she is being watched by D'leh( a young boy) who obviously is in love with her. Old Mother conducts her ceremonies in their native tongue and all is well until a caustic event during one of her spiritual chants gives her the ability to speak English. This ability is transferred to other members of the tribe and throughout the rest of film becomes their language of choice. At first I must say it was a little jarring to see them all of sudden speaking English but I got use to it after awhile. (I guess the filmmakers did not want to go the Mel Gibson route and use subtitles through the whole film).

Some of the actors I thought looked too contemporary and too good looking for the roles they were playing and I had a hard time believing that they were pre-historic men ( no offense Geico Cavemen). And Camilla, well she is just so damn beautiful! Perhaps a little too beautiful to be believeable in the role she is playing(think Racquel Welch in One Million B.C.).

Well after a Mammoth hunt in which he "accidently" kills one, D'leh(Steven Strait) returns to his tribe where he is seen as hero especially by his love, Evolet and his mentor Tic-Tic (Cliff Curtis).But he confesses to Evolet that he killed the mammoth by accident and that he is no great hunter.It is here that we find out that he has doubts about his abilities. Evolet then gives him an inspirational talk. It is the last one they would have for awhile for soon later that night Evolet and others get kidnapped by an enemy tribe whose leader has the hots for her and wants to keep her for himself but turn the others over as slaves to an advance race of people who look like Egyptians(they need slaves to build the pyramids).

D'leh begins his quest to find Evolet and bring her home and enlist the help of Tic-Tic and other tribesmen along with a young boy who's mother was killed in the kidnap/massacre. He also enlist the help of an small army of black tribesmen who have their own axe to grind with the goons that kidnapped Evolet. It is at this point in the film where I am reminded of John Ford's 1956 classic "The Searchers" where John Wayne spends years looking for his young niece who was kidnapped by indians however this has since become a common plot point so I don't consider it a rip-off but rather an inspiration. It also at this point where our hero gets to test his fighting skills for during his quest for his love he must fight pre-historic ostritches( almost as bad-ass as velociraptors), Mammoths and Saber-tooth tigers. In case you haven't guess, there are no dinosaurs in this film because they became extinct 65 million years ago way before the dawn of the Ice Age which is when this film takes place.

I believe that the film's strong points are it's action scenes and is weak points are it's acting scenes. It's a pretty simple story, one that has been told through the ages: Boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy battles prehistoric animals to get girl back, boy loses girl again, boy comes back with an army and a befriended sabertooth tiger to get girl back, Boy marries girl (in a prehistoric way). Boy and Girl live happily ever after (at least until The Ice Age begins).

Despite some of it's weaknesses I still consider it worth seeing even in it's primitive( no pun intended) form. I thought that the film had a strong finish when they stormed the enemy tribe's territory to try to rescue Evolet. When the bad guys got their comeuppance, the audience clapped.

The film looks almost complete they just need to make the necessary adjustments to the color, lighting and maybe sound. The CGI was all there but some of was it incomplete so they will have to render in the details. When it's released on March 7th, 2008 I will go see it again to see what was left in, taken out or added in. I also want to see the CGI fully detailed

Well, until next time Towerman out!
post #10 of 130 Old 07-15-2007, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Thats a decent trailer.
post #11 of 130 Old 07-15-2007, 07:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
Great trailer, but I simply cannot believe for one second that this film will be any good. STARGATE was fun, but flawed by stupid writing. ID4 was great fun the first time you saw it, but falls apart upon repeated viewing. DAY AFTER TOMORROW is so insulting to the intelligence bad on so many levels that it's unforgivable.

The only film this dipstick has made that was any good at all was THE PATRIOT and you can be damned sure part of that was due to Mel's involvement.

I just don't see this film having anything other than cool FX shots. Not to mention this will likely remind me of Tim Burton's PLANET OF THE APES where women who look like super models with perfect skin and hair are going to be walking around. That is so distracting and STUPID.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #12 of 130 Old 07-15-2007, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

Great trailer, but I simply cannot believe for one second that this film will be any good. STARGATE was fun, but flawed by stupid writing. ID4 was great fun the first time you saw it, but falls apart upon repeated viewing. DAY AFTER TOMORROW is so insulting to the intelligence bad on so many levels that it's unforgivable.

The only film this dipstick has made that was any good at all was THE PATRIOT and you can be damned sure part of that was due to Mel's involvement.

I just don't see this film having anything other than cool FX shots. Not to mention this will likely remind me of Tim Burton's PLANET OF THE APES where women who look like super models with perfect skin and hair are going to be walking around. That is so distracting and STUPID.

You may be right but I am still hoping it will be good

Dan
post #13 of 130 Old 07-15-2007, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Didn't know Dr Z. (Sharif) was still alive.....guess he needed a paycheck.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #14 of 130 Old 07-15-2007, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I saw the trailer yesterday and it looks at least quite entertaining. I think I have already seen too much of the CG mammoths in the trailer, I have a feeling they will be a distraction from the movie (assuming it doesn't just suck on its own).
post #15 of 130 Old 07-15-2007, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco View Post

Trailer looked great, however Roland Emmerich is a crappy director (Godzilla, Independence Day),

Yet for some reason I own most of this movies. I guess I like his style
post #16 of 130 Old 07-15-2007, 09:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Yet for some reason I own most of this movies. I guess I like his style

That's valid, but I also like to eat a lot of ice cream, cookies and potato chips. That doesn't mean that stuff has any actual substance or is a substitute for better food.

I agree with the above poster that stated "The Patriot" is the only decent thing he's done. Even that is pretty low on the list of movies I think of when I count ones I enjoyed. It doesn't even register on my top 100. ID4 had a few good scenes, but all the sludge running through it hid them to the point it made the entire production suffer. The Day After Tomorrow completely lost me when the were

post #17 of 130 Old 07-15-2007, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

That's valid, but I also like to eat a lot of ice cream, cookies and potato chips. That doesn't mean that stuff has any actual substance or is a substitute for better food.

I agree with the above poster that stated "The Patriot" is the only decent thing he's done. Even that is pretty low on the list of movies I think of when I count ones I enjoyed. It doesn't even register on my top 100. ID4 had a few good scenes, but all the sludge running through it hid them to the point it made the entire production suffer. The Day After Tomorrow completely lost me when the were

Spoiler  
Helicopters freezing in mid-air would be my WTF movie

Still enjoyed it as a rental (couldn't see purchasing it to watch it repeatedly)
post #18 of 130 Old 07-15-2007, 01:18 PM

So is this a remake of the Raquel Welch film? You know, the one that Andy Dufrane's poster is from?
post #19 of 130 Old 07-15-2007, 05:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffylush View Post

Spoiler  
Helicopters freezing in mid-air would be my WTF movie

Even better than that is the fact that...

Spoiler  
the movie established that the cold front was powerful enough to freeze the fuel lines of running helicopters, yet later on the gas burners in an abandoned Wendy's worked perfectly fine to stave off the cold.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #20 of 130 Old 07-15-2007, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

i think my favorite part in day after was

Spoiler  
dennis quaid turning on a stove and not freezing to death when they were in the eye of the storm.

sometimes i think emmerich makes movies big, dumb and crappy on purpose..he knows that's what american audiences want to watch and it pays his mortgage.
post #21 of 130 Old 07-15-2007, 05:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
No, you see, Emmerich (and his wife) ARE DUMB!

No, I am not being when I say that. I 100% am serious.

He's also very rich, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #22 of 130 Old 01-13-2008, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

I have the same sentiments. The Special EFX look good but man the plot and story have me a bit worried.
post #23 of 130 Old 01-13-2008, 04:47 PM

Liked: 280
I saw the trailer last night during the football game. I agree that it "looks" good.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #24 of 130 Old 01-14-2008, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

This looks fantastic and that sabretooth cat looks pretty darn good for CGI.
post #25 of 130 Old 01-14-2008, 07:17 AM

Liked: 280
I saw a longer trailer last night. Looks like it could be a good popcorn flick.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #26 of 130 Old 01-14-2008, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

You know I own most if not all of his films. They are great popcorn flicks. I for one am jazzed about this movie.

Now if it turns out to be great Cinema it WILL freak me out.
post #27 of 130 Old 01-14-2008, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I like his stuff as well.

This one "Looks" good

WeÂre doomed. It will never work
post #28 of 130 Old 03-07-2008, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Well this was another popcorn flick. Decent but I don't think his best Fx not great Cinema but enjoyable.

Ill post more as others see it also.
post #29 of 130 Old 03-07-2008, 09:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
8% on Rottentomatoes.com.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #30 of 130 Old 03-07-2008, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Didn't like Independence Day or Stargate?

loved Stargate and Independence Day was good too
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page