Bourne Ultimatum - EXCELLENT Reviews - movie discussion thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 202 Old 08-06-2007, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

I thought the movie was about a B-. The problem was the plot was basically the same as the second movie and it looked like it was pieced together. Too many stupid things happening and Bourne surviving massive accidents without a hitch. The other stupid thing (not really a spoiler since the same thing happened in 2) is that he never disguises himself. I agree with many of the holes pointed out by others especially the one by RobertWood which got me angry. The shaky cam is a gimmick overused in the second film and way overused here. If you turn your brain off and don't get sick, you might enjoy it.

Well...he had no need to disguise himself. Nobody in the US knew him. The CIA wasn't about to put up posters saying "Wanted!!! CIA's Black Op from Treadstone, I mean, Blackbriar, I mean....uhhh...nevermind, you aren't supposed to know about this"

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 202 Old 08-06-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal71RS View Post

Just anounced. Bourne Retirement coming Summer 2010.
www.imbd.com/bourneretirement.htm

DON'T CLICK THE LINK!

This guy probably gets paid for every hit of this website that has nothing to do with the Bourne series!

Shame on you, SoCal71RS!

Blu-ray + HD DVD = Bliss.
post #93 of 202 Old 08-06-2007, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris jarrett View Post

This movie pulled in elephant bucks!!

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/movies/box_office.php

I'm not surprised so much about the total gross, but $19,000 per screen is nuts.
post #94 of 202 Old 08-06-2007, 03:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Or "The Bourne Social Security Situation." Pissed because his SS checks keep getting mysteriously lost, Bourne comes out of retirement to take on secret forces in the govt growing rich on stolen SS funds.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #95 of 202 Old 08-06-2007, 06:41 PM

I have a question for those that have seen the movie. What time did Bourne enter the building at the end, and how long was he in there? It seemed to get extremely dark too quickly.

I thought the shaky camera effect worked on the hand to hand combat sequence with the Desh fight, but I thought it was way over-used for the rest of the movie, especially the vehicle chase.

And as a vehicle safety engineer, the indestructible cab (Supremacy) and cop car (Ultimatum) was just too-far over the top. I have seen way to many 35 mph crashes where the cars have to be towed away. Just my $0.02.
post #96 of 202 Old 08-06-2007, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulidan View Post

I agree. What's more, the Parkinsons camerawork, the distracting POV over the shoulder shots, and the strobe light editing are damn near a neccessity to obfuscate the fact this is basically the same movie as the last two.

I expect Greengrass's one trick pony filming style is sure to become the most parodied (with good reason) over the next year or so.

It's already a "parody" by Greengrass himself, and hopefully others will learn not to mimic his pathetic visual style. It's a shame that Liman had fallen out with the suits at Universal, as he's style was far superrioir to this hack Greengrass.

However the material was so good not even he could ruin it with his cinematic "affectations".

Best movie of the summer no doubt.

The Hun
post #97 of 202 Old 08-06-2007, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missions View Post

DON'T CLICK THE LINK!

This guy probably gets paid for every hit of this website that has nothing to do with the Bourne series!

Shame on you, SoCal71RS!

Too late!

That bastard!

The Hun
post #98 of 202 Old 08-06-2007, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I saw Matt Damon on Letterman a couple days ago, and I couldn't believe how old he looked. He looks like he aged 20 years since the last Bourne movie.
post #99 of 202 Old 08-07-2007, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Thanks for the warning on the link; I avoided clicking it. I almost thought it was pointing to the Internet Movie Database, but the last two letters of that acronym are transposed; sneaky. We should report post #90 to the administrators, which will certainly result in a ban.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #100 of 202 Old 08-09-2007, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakStuff View Post

I couldn't agree more, Paul Greengrass needs to take a couple valiums and relax with his "camera shake" point of directing. Its like trying to watch a movie on an amusement park ride, Very annoying.

The shaking total blows what would have been a great film. To quote breakstuff very annoying. I may pass buying this when it comes out due to the directors choice of shaky camera work.

HDTV is clear get the picture
post #101 of 202 Old 08-09-2007, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The camera shots and angles and movement on these films are simply brilliant: they insist the viewer come along for the ride.

I love the camera shot choices, some of the characters you get to know only in passing glances.

The spyspeak is a little goofy though, if you think about it. Rooms full of agents saying stuff like "I have eyes" and "We have a strike" ...

The CIA agents even wear those long trenchcoats and when they get serious they turn their collars upward, straight out of SPY vs SPY

post #102 of 202 Old 08-09-2007, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallaire View Post

The shaking total blows what would have been a great film. To quote breakstuff very annoying. I may pass buying this when it comes out due to the directors choice of shaky camera work.

damn he did the shaking again ?
it's not yet released in Europe here yet
i prefered the first director. a lot less shaking, very clear to "see" action scenes
post #103 of 202 Old 08-10-2007, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Saw this movie last night and I loved it. The shaky camera fit the fast pace of the film. Truly an edge of your seat thriller and the best of the Bourne films IMO. Not everything was believable but it is just an action movie so I didn't let a few inconsistencies bother me.
post #104 of 202 Old 08-10-2007, 10:56 AM

Wow, I thought these movies were great, and intelligent. Not sure about the leave your brain off comment. The most unbelievable part is that the CIA was using Behringer pro sound equipment for all their wire tapping and computer hacking. Otherwise, best movie series in awhile. Love the choice of using the same ethereal song at the end of all the movies, playing on the audience's memories, sharing a theme with the movies. And I LOVE that the Styles/Damon love connection wasn't stuffed down our throats, in an attempt for a new romance. The audience isn't stupid, love the notion!
post #105 of 202 Old 08-11-2007, 02:48 AM
Advanced Member

I finally saw this and I loved it! For me I would say this is up there with lotr...its just that every movie is good and doesnt depend on the others to be good. They cann all stand by themsevles. Not only was it a good movie but it was an excellent end to the series which I thought it actually ended better then lotr anti-climatic ending, in my opinion of crouse. I dont understand why everyone wines about the camera. If anything at least its different. I think it worked.
but wasnt the conversation with bourne and the cia woman the same as in the end of 2? which I thought was brillant, most of the third is a prelude to the end of the second. what a good idea that i dont think as ever been done before and it totally caught me off guard..so the thrid one starts sometime very close to when he confessed the murders of the two parents to the kid right? so how could they be different conversations?...and one thing i didnt catch...when did she give him the fake birthdate so he could find the place?
post #106 of 202 Old 08-11-2007, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

She told him when he was on the phone with Landy and the other agents were listening to the call.
And yeah I thought the timeline was a little fuzzy, but that doesn't bother me. Some people have a cow about that stuff. I can't think of a trilogy I have loved as much as this one and I include star wars in there.
post #107 of 202 Old 08-11-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_zep View Post

I finally saw this and I loved it! For me I would say this is up there with lotr...its just that every movie is good and doesnt depend on the others to be good. They cann all stand by themsevles. Not only was it a good movie but it was an excellent end to the series which I thought it actually ended better then lotr anti-climatic ending, in my opinion of crouse. I dont understand why everyone wines about the camera. If anything at least its different. I think it worked.
but wasnt the conversation with bourne and the cia woman the same as in the end of 2? which I thought was brillant, most of the third is a prelude to the end of the second. what a good idea that i dont think as ever been done before and it totally caught me off guard..so the thrid one starts sometime very close to when he confessed the murders of the two parents to the kid right? so how could they be different conversations?...and one thing i didnt catch...when did she give him the fake birthdate so he could find the place?

Yep. And I'm convinced it's the same conversation, but just re-shot. It's not perfect, but what are you going to do.

I believe, in their conversation, Landy gives him a different birthdate than the ones in his passports.
post #108 of 202 Old 08-12-2007, 12:07 AM

Just got back from watching the film. Outstanding!!

Quick question though: When Bourne was in the hospital remembering back to his "birth" into the program, there was a man in a hood sitting in a chair in the corner. Bourne shot this man, I'm believe as an answer in saying yes, he wanted into the program. WHO WAS THE GUY IN THE HOOD?? Was it just some random guy? And what did they use to reset his memory? Some kind of implant? I remember in the first movie he took out the other operative in the field and the operative said something about, "Do you get those terrible headaches?"

Thanks for any insight!!
post #109 of 202 Old 08-12-2007, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Craig you should learn how to use spoiler tags, some of us havent seen it yet
post #110 of 202 Old 08-12-2007, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
craig, the memory thing has never been a physical implant type deal, it's a stress induced amnesia from all his trauma. My understanding at least

Big Dumb Mammal
post #111 of 202 Old 08-13-2007, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

spoilers
Ok ok heres another question I had that bothered me. Im sure its simple but for some reason I didnt catch it and I guess it really doesnt matter cause the guy died anyway lol. When hes giving orders to the reporter and he tells him to stand the opposite way of the guy in the hat....why did they go after the guy in the hat? They werent dressed the same were they?
And Nikki showing up...wasnt she the guys sec or something? I dont think her showing up is THAT carzey. The only part I kinda did think was silly was when he was looking through the window at the guy putting the top secret files away. So I guess that takes the movie to 99.9 for me instead of 100.00 Oh well.
post #112 of 202 Old 08-13-2007, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR_IN_LA View Post

Craig you should learn how to use spoiler tags, some of us havent seen it yet

I don't get this. This is a discussion of the movie. If you haven't seen the movie, why do you come to read? How many times can you read "It was great". I'm with you that 'Spoilers' need to be tagged before the movie is realeased. That's a given. After a movie has been out this long, and you haven't seen it, then you may want to stay way. Once the movie is out, it's nice to 'discuss the movie' and not just speculate on whether it will be good or not before the release. I don't feel there needs to be any spoiler tags after the movie has been released. If it hasn't been released in your area, you need to be aware that most that are now posting have seen the movie. Once a program on TV airs, it's all fair game (even if the West Coasters haven't seen the show).

Tony
post #113 of 202 Old 08-13-2007, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I'm thinking 'The Bourne Erectile Dysfunction' will be coming some years down the road. Any fourth installment will naturally need some time passing as this series was linked into a single plot development/denouement. But many threads were left open which could be sewn into a storyline. Likely Damon will be more open to it after the passage of some years. One can only hope.

Desh fight scene best hand-to-hand fight scene ever filmed...and that's saying something over Supremacy. People who don't get the camera style likely have never had a serious fight, unplanned car movement, etc. in their life. This is the style which captures it best. Anything is else is too clinical...nice to look at...but clinical and clean.

My life is an open book...wish I could read it and have it make sense.

post #114 of 202 Old 08-13-2007, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeBar View Post

I'm thinking 'The Bourne Erectile Dysfunction' will be coming some years down the road. Any fourth installment will naturally need some time passing as this series was linked into a single plot development/denouement. But many threads were left open which could be sewn into a storyline. Likely Damon will be more open to it after the passage of some years. One can only hope.

Desh fight scene best hand-to-hand fight scene ever filmed...and that's saying something over Supremacy. People who don't get the camera style likely have never had a serious fight, unplanned car movement, etc. in their life. This is the style which captures it best. Anything is else is too clinical...nice to look at...but clinical and clean.

Very well put.

Tony
post #115 of 202 Old 08-13-2007, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

I just watched Ultimatum last night and absolutely loved it. The movie really does bring the trilogy and story of Damon's character in full circle, and doesn't follow the traditional Hollywood formula of sequels that must be bigger, louder, and showcase more antagonists (POTC3 and Spidey 3). The movie has the perfect blend of action, pacing, and plot. I'll definitely be adding this one to the collection in December.

forum tennis, look right.........................................forum tennis, look left
post #116 of 202 Old 08-13-2007, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post

I don't get this. This is a discussion of the movie. If you haven't seen the movie, why do you come to read? How many times can you read "It was great". I'm with you that 'Spoilers' need to be tagged before the movie is realeased. That's a given. After a movie has been out this long, and you haven't seen it, then you may want to stay way.

Spoilers should be used, period.
There's movies from 1977 discussed here that people havent seen yet. You think 2 weeks is a long time?
post #117 of 202 Old 08-13-2007, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post

I don't get this. This is a discussion of the movie. If you haven't seen the movie, why do you come to read?

All Members Please Read: A Note On SPOILERS

Quote:

A reminder for all:

Do not post spoilers in the subject of your thread. Take a moment and think if your title contains a spoiler. If the average person would probably wish that they didn't know that, then it shouldn't be in the title. If you think it isn't a spoiler but you know that some members will object, it shouldn't be in the title.

If a thread title warns that spoilers are inside, then anyone reading the thread is considered warned about the contents. You can't read a spoiler thread and complain that it contains spoilers. On the other hand, if a thread has "no spoilers" in the title or the warning "spoilers" isn't in the subject header, then you MUST give a warning before you post a spoiler. There is nothing worse to a fan than reading a thread in anticipation of a film, only to have the twists and turns of the movie thrown at him. Warning that spoilers are coming is a sign of mutual respect among members. Please bear that in mind.

If you do this, no one can have a problem with what you have spoiled. You have given fair warning. This is also better than just posting "SPOILERS ahead", because when does the reader know the spoilers have ended and it is safe to start reading again? Remember, no one can fault you for warning of spoilers and using the spoiler tag. Have fun...

Quote:

Just a brief reminder:

If the thread title doesn't warn of spoilers inside, you MUST provide a warning before you drop a spoiler.

Some spoilers are bigger than others, but anything that reveals what happens to a character later in the film or how certain aspects of the plot get resolved, is a big spoiler and you MUST give some kind of warning before you reveal that, if it is a thread that doesn't specifically warn in the thread title that spoilers are inside. This should be common sense. If the average person wouldn't want to know that detail before they saw the film, you have to give a warning and that goes triple for movies that have just been released. Don't drive yourself neurotic but if in doubt, err on the cautious side. It really won't kill you to say "spoilers below" in your post.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=492121
post #118 of 202 Old 08-13-2007, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR_IN_LA View Post

Spoilers should be used, period.
There's movies from 1977 discussed here that people havent seen yet. You think 2 weeks is a long time?

I didn't say we should or shouldn't, I said it didn't make sense to me...period!!

If you haven't seen the movie, what the heck are you doing reading a thread about a movie that's airing now? Again, how many times do you want to only read "It's a good movie"??? I don't post spoilers unless I tag them. I was just stating that it doesn't make sense to me about the people who read threads about a movie that they haven't seen. What are you looking for when you read a thread about a movie that's been released?

Tony
post #119 of 202 Old 08-13-2007, 11:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

What are you looking for when you read a thread about a movie that's been released?

Opinions, not spoiler details.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #120 of 202 Old 08-13-2007, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 123
I agree, I read threads of movies I havent seen yet for opinions, but I will admit, if I see that the thread looks like its starting to go into details about the movie, I will exit the thread and not read it until after I have seen a movie. Most times if I am sure I will see a movie, I wont even enter the thread until after I have seen it, but if i havent seen the movie and am on the fence, i try to get opinions to base whether or not to see it.

As to the movie, i liked it in general, but i did not like the style of directing/editing with way too many super close-ups and the quick cuts in a split second, and yes, i didnt like the blurring either. There were so many fantastic action scenes that you really couldnt see well due to this, and it took a lot of my enjoyment away from scenes that really should have looked awesome, but were shot and edited just to create excitement. Yes, its exciting, but if you are really into visuals like i am, its just not what i was looking for. Certainly worth watching though, even with this.

never take life seriously
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page