Looking for intelligent horror films - how about "The Descent" & "Saw" - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 150 Old 10-26-2007, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 177
The fact that no one has yet mentioned Takashi Miike's Audition is criminal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 150 Old 10-28-2007, 01:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audition_(film

Looks like it is pretty sick.

Aside from Shaun Of The Dead,

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365748/

I think Alien/s was last hurrah in terms of intelligence for this genre.

Emergency, everybody to get from street.
post #93 of 150 Old 10-28-2007, 03:01 AM
AVS Special Member

If you're going to watch Audition, I implore you not to read any plot synopsis of the film at all. If you truly want to experience the film in all it's splendor, it's best to go in without knowing a thing about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #94 of 150 Old 10-28-2007, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post

If you're going to watch Audition, I implore you not to read any plot synopsis of the film at all. If you truly want to experience the film in all it's splendor, it's best to go in without knowing a thing about it.

I would also suggest watching the uncut version.

"Marines have no qualms about killing Martians"

post #95 of 150 Old 10-28-2007, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

I would also suggest watching the uncut version.

I also suggest skipping the first slow hour.

never take life seriously
post #96 of 150 Old 10-28-2007, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

I also suggest skipping the first slow hour.

...and I would strongly advise AGAINST skipping the first hour, otherwise you miss the whole point of the film. The "slowness" is necessary, and makes the eventual payoff all the more powerful. Actually, I found the first hour fascinating, beautiful, funny, well-written and well acted. The only reason I could see someone being bored is that they went into the movie expecting something other than what they saw. The movie is about far more than the last 20 minutes.

Watch the film from beginning to end, and stay away from spoilers.

And as airboss says, definitely get the uncut version.

post #97 of 150 Old 10-28-2007, 11:07 AM

Liked: 12
Many of these may not be available on blu ray, but here we go.

Jeepers crepers and Session 9? +1

Movies like House of 1000 corpses and The devils rejects, are lame ass vehicles used by Rob Zombie to give his ugly, non-acting, slut wife some work. JMOFWIW

For a few movies that HAVENT been mentioned, try Stir of echoes, The Fallen, Event Horizon!!!! One of my FAVORITES!! They, is very good with multiple endings that are ALSO decent. Cursed is not awesome but IS a solid and unusual Werewolf tale.

The messengers, might get written off as a teen flick, but it manages to tell a tale that I and My wife liked while MANY teens ran it down, Evidently it didnt have enough drinking, drugs and sexuality to keep many of them interested.

Darkness is another tha gets overlooked, it is a decent story with IMO a GREAT end!!

Feast was just ok, though it got exceedingly stupid in places. Did anyone else notice how one of the young monsters orally raped the lady and the filmmakers thought they had to show her spitting out monster ejaculate?

YUCK! HOW stupid, how would a monster even know to do that??

Someone who truly loves others speaks the truth, not just what they want to hear.
post #98 of 150 Old 10-28-2007, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
Don't Look Now
Let's Scare Jessica to Death
Session 9
post #99 of 150 Old 10-29-2007, 04:12 AM

If your a hard core horror movie fan, the movie I would recommend is Candyman. Intelligent? I don't know. Gory? Not exceptionally so for a horror movie. But I stopped watching horror movies after Candyman. In fact, it bummed me out so much, I didn't even watch the very end of it. I couldn't go on. I was too emotionally exhausted.
post #100 of 150 Old 10-29-2007, 05:31 AM

Liked: 14
If you are looking for an intelligent movie that will creep you out, I recommend The Forgotten. Not a horror movie, really, but plenty creepy.
post #101 of 150 Old 11-18-2007, 12:40 AM

Liked: 12
Two new ones are The Reaping which was surprisingly good, and Captivity which was IMO close to excellent for a movie of that Genre.

Someone who truly loves others speaks the truth, not just what they want to hear.
post #102 of 150 Old 11-19-2007, 07:01 AM

It's up for an Oscar, and if it wins it would actually deserve it...but Spain's "The Orphanage" is *FANTASTIC*. Here are my predictions;

It opens in US on Dec 28th 2007, the same day as the R1 DVD and people will slowly start to see it

By mid 2008, people will start to ask "has anyone seen this?"

By mid 2009 it's dubbed in English and re-released

By mid 2010 it's remade, and everyone hails it

lol

It really is a great film, and it would be somewhat deserving of an Oscar, which is VERY rare for the International category. It actually made the theatre "jump", which in itself is rare. Another film I found rather enjoyable was "Ils" aka "Them". The atmosphere was very good, and it was based on true events. A lot of people don't like the ending (literally the last 2 minutes of the film) but the other 99% is a pretty enjoyable ride.
post #103 of 150 Old 11-19-2007, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haneke View Post

It's up for an Oscar, and if it wins it would actually deserve it...but Spain's "The Orphanage" is *FANTASTIC*. Here are my predictions;
It opens in US on Dec 28th 2007, the same day as the R1 DVD and people will slowly start to see it
By mid 2008, people will start to ask "has anyone seen this?"
By mid 2009 it's dubbed in English and re-released
By mid 2010 it's remade, and everyone hails it
lol

It really is a great film, and it would be somewhat deserving of an Oscar, which is VERY rare for the International category. It actually made the theatre "jump", which in itself is rare. Another film I found rather enjoyable was "Ils" aka "Them". The atmosphere was very good, and it was based on true events. A lot of people don't like the ending (literally the last 2 minutes of the film) but the other 99% is a pretty enjoyable ride.

Haneke, I'd have to agree with you on this, I've had "El Orfanato" (The Orphanage) on my radar for awhile. I keep checking to see if there are any sites which have it available for pre-order but have not found one yet. If you know of a place please let me know (or if it is available now/near future on a DVD from another region).

It's funny but last year at this time I was doing the same thing for El Laberinto del fauno (Pan's Labyrinth).

I also agree with you on "Ils" (Them), the begining is excellent, as is the rest of the movie. I did not see anything wrong with the ending, especially since the movie was based upon a true event.

post #104 of 150 Old 02-09-2009, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 341
I think this thread is due for an update, I've already added a few from here and recs I found from Airboss to my BB queue but I'm sure there are plenty more since '07 that could be worthy of comparison to The Descent

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #105 of 150 Old 02-09-2009, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstknight_sf View Post

Jeepers Creepers is a good horror flick. Totally surprised me when I saw it at the theaters. Something new. High Tension is also a pretty movie but the twist was wack. Never seen 1000 corpses but I did see Devils Rejects. Not scary but DAMN GOOD!!! I'm sure you guys have seen Sean of the Dead, right? If not go see it now. A comedy with Gore and Zombies. If your a zombie fan, than Return of the Living Dead is as good as it gets. Another zombie flick would be The Undead. It's a zombie flick with the CRAZIEST story.

And tell me that you guys didn't get scared when watching The Eye and that lil old lady at the end of the hall was making those moans??? Well first time I watched it I had the 5.1 speakers going.

My recommendations: Wolf Creek & Dog Soldiers.

Wow! I had no idea this thread was still going -- cool !

I did pick up the following Asian horror (in addition to the Ringu films):
Ju-On (The Eye)
Kairo (Pulse)
Jzumaki (Spiral)
Cursed (Don't know the phonetic Japanese equivalent)

Also picked up "Dog Soldiers" (very good) and Night Watch (not really horror, but wanted the SD DVD, not the BD).

On BD I've picked up 28 Weeks (also 28 Days on SD DVD), Dawn Of The Dead (the remake), The Descent, The Devil's Rejects, Doomsday, Event Horizon, Evil Dead 2, Flatliners, The Fly (remake), From Dusk 'Til Dawn, The Fog (original), Halloween (original), The Host, Hostel, Land Of The Dead, The Orphanage, Otis, Poltergeist, Salvage, Saw, The Signal, Silent Hill, and Species.

That list covers a range of horror intensities, mild to fairly heavy duty, but that's in keeping with my interests. Currently watching for a good price on the Friday The 13th BD !

I never could bring myself to pick-up Wolf Creek. Never could get passed the idea that it was violence for the sake of violence -- at least Devil's Reject's has some redeeming qualities !
post #106 of 150 Old 02-09-2009, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR_IN_LA View Post

"The Others" is the best horror movie I have seen in the last 10 years...
quite a brain teaser too.

I rank "The Others" right there with "The Orphanage", both darned good, with "The Others" in the lead! (The last fifteen odd minutes of "The Orphanage" were very good in execution, but there really wasn't any surprise. "The Others" was simply great, with special kudos to the leading lady's performance.)
post #107 of 150 Old 02-09-2009, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy View Post

The Descent is an intelligent horror film, not a gore fest. I liked it.

Session 9 is also good.

If you liked Cube, then check out a mini-series called The Lost Room (2006).

If you have not seen them, then by all means see Dog Soldiers and 28 Days Later....

Finally, try The Ninth Gate.

Edit: Speaking of horror, one film I overlooked is quite scary: Strangeland .

Thanks! I already have "The Ninth Gate", but just placed an order for "Session 9" -- looks interesting. "The Lost Room"? Hoo-boy -- something else to look into !
post #108 of 150 Old 02-09-2009, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

We all have different tastes. I dont think intelligent gore-lacking horror movies are exciting or even should be called "horror" movies.

To me, a horror movie is Hostel II, Saw (all of them), Chaos, Barricade, The Hills Have Eyes, 28 Weeks (and Days) Later, Devils Rejects, etc.

I dont understand this torrent of praise for the "horror" of The Descent. Maybe its bad for people with claustrophobia, which I dont have. Seeing the creature for the first time sure didnt scare me.

Anyway, to me personally, an intelligent "horror" movie should be called a "thriller". Its just not the same.

I guess part of the problem is that these days, people expect to have everything on display -- be it sex or dismemberment! There's an alternative viewpoint that what the imagination can conjure up is easily as unpleasant as what can be legally placed on screen, and can probably go much nastier since it lacks bounds! That was a fundamental for the early radio adventure shows ("Flash Gordon" for example), and is also basic for book reading -- both being out of style with today's audiences. The imagination is a lost faculty today and I think that a shame.
post #109 of 150 Old 02-09-2009, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

hmmm...

how about "the astronaut's wife"? certainly creeped me out...

"rosemary's baby"?

i'm not big into gore, personally, i prefer "suspense horror" (for lack of a better term)... although someone made a good point in reference to "jaws" in an earlier post that holds true with all "suspense horror", after you've seen it once, it doesn't have nearly the same impact the second time around...

Don't know why, but "The Astronauts Wife" never worked for me. Perhaps partly bacause I was seeing Charlize Theron in so many films at that time, it had begun to seem like a joke. Though, I think it was more than that I had difficulty with -- still, a good premise. "Rosemary's Baby" is unquestionably excellent!

"Jaws"? I love it every viewing !
post #110 of 150 Old 02-09-2009, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmoGamecoq View Post

I found the Ninth Gate slow and plodding and not scary at all.

A few others in what I guess I'll call "smart horror" are:

The original "Wicker Man"
The Rapture
The Omen (and the recent remake)
The Ring
Exorcism of Emily Rose
Skeleton Key
The Dark

Lordy -- this thread is a veritable minefield of possibilities ! The original Wickerman and Omen (not big on remakes), and the U.S. Ring and it's sequel Ring 2, Exorcism of Emily Rose, and Skeleton Key (talk about twists) are already in my collection!
Went back and forth on "The Dark" and never picked it up -- perhaps a mistake?
post #111 of 150 Old 02-09-2009, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post

The fact that no one has yet mentioned Takashi Miike's Audition is criminal.

No doubt my personal inadequacy, but I'm not having much luck identifying this film !
post #112 of 150 Old 02-09-2009, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS View Post

Lordy -- this thread is a veritable minefield of possibilities ! The original Wickerman and Omen (not big on remakes), and the U.S. Ring and it's sequel Ring 2, Exorcism of Emily Rose, and Skeleton Key (talk about twists) are already in my collection!

TrevorS, have you seen "Bug" (Drama | Horror | Thriller)? There's an AVS thread on it here.

Some people love it, others hate it. I fall into the former, BTW Ashley Judd's performance is amazing!

post #113 of 150 Old 02-09-2009, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsm250 View Post

If your a hard core horror movie fan, the movie I would recommend is Candyman. Intelligent? I don't know. Gory? Not exceptionally so for a horror movie. But I stopped watching horror movies after Candyman. In fact, it bummed me out so much, I didn't even watch the very end of it. I couldn't go on. I was too emotionally exhausted.

The orginal "Candyman" on LD is excellent -- love it. Hate the SD DVD since they screwed up the sound (lost the warmth and dynamics).
post #114 of 150 Old 02-09-2009, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

I think this thread is due for an update, I've already added a few from here and recs I found from Airboss to my BB queue but I'm sure there are plenty more since '07 that could be worthy of comparison to The Descent

I was really surpised to see it was over a year ago I kicked off this thread! I got a lot from it at the time and I've just now re-discovered it (thanks to a recent post)!

I need to further evaluate some of the earlier responses, but I'm happy so many folk chose to chime in on what they felt to be good entries into the horror genre ! My gosh, has it really been about 15 months? Yikes!
post #115 of 150 Old 02-09-2009, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

TrevorS, have you seen "Bug" (Drama | Horror | Thriller)? There's an AVS thread on it here.

Some people love it, others hate it. I fall into the former, BTW Ashley Judd's performance is amazing!

No, but it looks kind of low key and so I just placed an order for a used copy. Low key is fine with me, as long as it's ultimately a well done film. (Besides, if PooperScooper likes it, I'm automatically interested )
post #116 of 150 Old 02-09-2009, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 341
I'll second the vote for Skeleton Key, certainly not a T&A gorefest or anything but it stuck with me after the credits rolled and I had the hebbie jebbies.

Dog Soldiers I did not like, too hokey and to my own disappointment I am always comparing werewolf movies against the best which of course was American Werewolf in London.

As long as were talking some somewhat oldies here I think the following need fair mention:
RawheadRex
Serpent and the Rainbow
The Thing
30 Days of Night (excellent PQ too on blu)
The Cave
Storm of the Century

I'm really interested in some of the under the radar stuff. I thought the Descent Looked good so blind bought it on dvd, it was an auto double dip for blu (and more since then if you follow that thread). Anyways, I'd love to hear some solid recs for titles over the past couple years.

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #117 of 150 Old 02-10-2009, 03:49 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

No, but it looks kind of low key and so I just placed an order for a used copy. Low key is fine with me, as long as it's ultimately a well done film. (Besides, if PooperScooper likes it, I'm automatically interested )

LOL! I bet you say that to all the moderators. Bug is excellent. I've probably seen it 4 times now. It slowly builds up a crescendo until the climatic end. Not really a spoiler, but..
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
still have no clue of the phone calls.

Some other mentioned movies:

The Descent - I don't think I've watched a movie more times given the "short" time it's been out. It's well done, plus it plays on my own fear of caves (the crawl on your belly, only one-way type of deal) that makes you want to watch and not watch at the same time.

Dog Soldiers - I liked it much better the second time I watched it. Speaking werewolves, the Ginger Snaps trilogy is very good even though the last one (a prequel IIRC) is a little weak.

The Skeleton Key - I liked it even though it had too much Hollywood in it.

Also, for some reason recently I revisited my "nuclear doomsday" collection. Threads, both Fail Safe verions, Dr. Strangelove, Miracle Mile, and Def-Con 4 (cheesy).

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #118 of 150 Old 02-10-2009, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, the Dark is worth checking out.

Since I made that post, I've seen a few more that I'd recommend:
  • Mirrors
  • Deathwatch
  • Wilderness
  • The Strangers
  • Hard Candy
  • Quarantine
  • The Mist
post #119 of 150 Old 02-10-2009, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmoGamecoq View Post

Yes, the Dark is worth checking out.

Since I made that post, I've seen a few more that I'd recommend:
  • Quarantine

If you can check out "[Rec]" before watching "Quarantine" (which is a remake of "[Rec]" and IMHO much better than "Quarantine").

Here are a couple more:

Angst (1983)

Taxidermia (2006) (Very strange but very good)

post #120 of 150 Old 02-10-2009, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you can check out "[Rec]" before watching "Quarantine" (which is a remake of "[Rec]" and IMHO much better than "Quarantine").

Still waiting for [Rec] to show up in my queue from Netflix. It's still in "Unknown" availability.

Looks like Quarantine is showing a 2/17 release date.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page