Looking for intelligent horror films - how about "The Descent" & "Saw" - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 150 Old 02-10-2009, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmoGamecoq View Post

Still waiting for [Rec] to show up in my queue from Netflix. It's still in "Unknown" availability.

Looks like Quarantine is showing a 2/17 release date.

Region 2 & 3 available with English sub-titles. Also some Region 0 NSTC SD available from HKFLix and eBay. Haven't been able to find a Region 1 release date.

"Marines have no qualms about killing Martians"

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 150 Old 02-10-2009, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by DtroitPunk View Post

Darkness is another tha gets overlooked, it is a decent story with IMO a GREAT end!!

Darkness, the one with Anna Paquin? Indeed it's a great movie... I hope it will get released on blu-ray soon...
post #123 of 150 Old 02-12-2009, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

I'll second the vote for Skeleton Key, certainly not a T&A gorefest or anything but it stuck with me after the credits rolled and I had the hebbie jebbies.

Dog Soldiers I did not like, too hokey and to my own disappointment I am always comparing werewolf movies against the best which of course was American Werewolf in London.

As long as were talking some somewhat oldies here I think the following need fair mention:
RawheadRex
Serpent and the Rainbow
The Thing
30 Days of Night (excellent PQ too on blu)
The Cave
Storm of the Century

I'm really interested in some of the under the radar stuff. I thought the Descent Looked good so blind bought it on dvd, it was an auto double dip for blu (and more since then if you follow that thread). Anyways, I'd love to hear some solid recs for titles over the past couple years.

I enjoyed both the story and acting in "Dog Soldiers". It struck me as unique, and the girl turning on them as she did definitely caught me by surprise! Though, the way they wrecked her car, I can see her losing patience !

"American Werewolf In London" is part of my HD DVD collection. Also Army Of Darkness, Cat People, Dawn Of The Dead (the remake -- accidentally listed it above as BD), House Of Wax (remake -- marginal, but last third is all right, my token Paris Hilton flick ), Land Of The Dead, Seed Of Chucky (couldn't resist Meg Tilly -- I've had a fondness for her ever since "Impulse"), Shaun Of The Dead, Slither, The Thing (also a remake -- I've the original B&W on SD DVD), and White Noise 2.

Serpent And The Rainbow is excellent on LD -- great sound though a 4:3 presentation. Forgot to list 30 Days Of Night on my BD list -- pretty good, though I thought the story weakened as it went on. Went back and forth on The Cave and finally passed on it.

Rawhead Rex and Storm Of The Century are both new to me.
post #124 of 150 Old 02-12-2009, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS View Post

Seed Of Chucky (couldn't resist Meg Tilly -- I've had a fondness for her ever since "Impulse")

TrevorS, Jennifer Tilly was in "Seed of Chucky", not Meg, and I know what you mean about having a fondness for her.

If you havn't seen "Bound" with Jennifer Tilly and Gina Gershon then put it at the top of your Queue. If you like JT you will love "Bound"!!

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #125 of 150 Old 02-12-2009, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:

I enjoyed both the story and acting in "Dog Soldiers". It struck me as unique, and the girl turning on them as she did definitely caught me by surprise! Though, the way they wrecked her car, I can see her losing patience !

"American Werewolf In London" is part of my HD DVD collection. Also Army Of Darkness, Cat People, Dawn Of The Dead (the remake -- accidentally listed it above as BD), House Of Wax (remake -- marginal, but last third is all right, my token Paris Hilton flick ), Land Of The Dead, Seed Of Chucky (couldn't resist Meg Tilly -- I've had a fondness for her ever since "Impulse"), Shaun Of The Dead, Slither, The Thing (also a remake -- I've the original B&W on SD DVD), and White Noise 2.

Serpent And The Rainbow is excellent on LD -- great sound though a 4:3 presentation. Forgot to list 30 Days Of Night on my BD list -- pretty good, though I thought the story weakened as it went on. Went back and forth on The Cave and finally passed on it.

Rawhead Rex and Storm Of The Century are both new to me.

I did enjoy that part of Dog Soldiers but most of the acting just felt too hokey for me.

Rawhead Rex is kind of a cult classic from the UK (80's). Near impossible to find because it is out of print but my local Hollywood had one so I watched it again recently. Here's a trailer.

Storm of the Century is a made for TV movie based on a Stephen King book. It's 4 hours long but I really liked it. The main bad guy from Chronicles of Riddick was uber creepy in it.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #126 of 150 Old 02-12-2009, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Bug is excellent. I've probably seen it 4 times now. It slowly builds up a crescendo until the climatic end. Not really a spoiler, but..
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
still have no clue of the phone calls.

Some other mentioned movies:

The Descent - I don't think I've watched a movie more times given the "short" time it's been out. It's well done, plus it plays on my own fear of caves (the crawl on your belly, only one-way type of deal) that makes you want to watch and not watch at the same time.

Dog Soldiers - I liked it much better the second time I watched it. Speaking werewolves, the Ginger Snaps trilogy is very good even though the last one (a prequel IIRC) is a little weak.

The Skeleton Key - I liked it even though it had too much Hollywood in it.

Also, for some reason recently I revisited my "nuclear doomsday" collection. Threads, both Fail Safe verions, Dr. Strangelove, Miracle Mile, and Def-Con 4 (cheesy).

larry

I'm informed Bug has shipped! Yes, the gloss on "The Skeleton Key" is a little distracting, but that ending is downright unnerving -- very discomforting!

I've always been a major fan of doomsday films. Perhaps because they used to be standard late night fare in the good 'ole days! When I was accumulating used LD's, they were among those targeted. Trouble is, I ended up with so many LD's, it's a problem to remember what's there ! I started cataloging them in an Excel spread sheet, but never finished. Let me take a look as far as I got. OK, another couple are "The Day After" and "Testament". The only "Fail-Safe" I'm aware of was directed by Sidney Lumet -- there was another? Don't know Def-Con Four!

By the way, "Silent Running" is kind of an ecological doomsday film, excellent in my opinion!

EDIT - Removed my LD title list.
post #127 of 150 Old 02-12-2009, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

TrevorS, Jennifer Tilly was in "Seed of Chucky", not Meg, and I know what you mean about having a fondness for her.

If you havn't seen "Bound" with Jennifer Tilly and Gina Gershon then put it at the top of your Queue. If you like JT you will love "Bound"!!

Oops! I blew the name -- thanks for the correction ! Yes, "Bound" is great (have it on LD) -- I'm a definite Gina Gershon fan !
post #128 of 150 Old 02-20-2009, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Geez -- did I kill the thread? Didn't mean to! "Bug" SD DVD and "Gothika" HD DVD just arrived! I'm not expecting a lot from "Gothika", but I get the impression it's at least above average for the genre.

Will have to look into "The Dark"!
post #129 of 150 Old 02-20-2009, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Geez -- did I kill the thread? Didn't mean to! "Bug" SD DVD and "Gothika" HD DVD just arrived! I'm not expecting a lot from "Gothika", but I get the impression it's at least above average for the genre.

Will have to look into "The Dark"!

Which "The Dark" will you be watching, this one "The Dark" (2005) or this one "Darkness" aka "The Dark" - USA title (2002 - released in 2004).

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #130 of 150 Old 02-20-2009, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I may have the wrong one in mind, and I'm not sure of the title. It was fairly recent (last few years) and entailed darkness as an evil entity that dwelled in an old house (as always ) and preyed upon a family that moved in. At the end, I remember reading the survivors were pursued by it into a tunnel -- included a young girl (Paquin?). My impression at the time was the reviews were far from stellar, and so I never took it seriously, but based on one of the above posts, I wondered if perhaps I should have. Course, I could be thinking of the wrong film !

PS. I see I don't mean the 2005 "The Dark". I like Sean Bean, but what I've read of that film didn't attract me.

Yep, it's the Paquin "Darkness" alright! Wow! It really got slammed on Rotten Tomatoes (4%) and my long term reference "reel.com" slammed it as well. Perhaps I should continue to skip that one!
post #131 of 150 Old 02-20-2009, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, I may have the wrong one in mind, and I'm not sure of the title. It was fairly recent (last few years) and entailed darkness as an evil entity that dwelled in an old house (as always ) and preyed upon a family that moved in. At the end, I remember reading the survivors were pursued by it into a tunnel -- included a young girl (Paquin?). My impression at the time was the reviews were far from stellar, and so I never took it seriously, but based on one of the above posts, I wondered if perhaps I should have. Course, I could be thinking of the wrong film !

PS. I see I don't mean the 2005 "The Dark". I like Sean Bean, but what I've read of that film didn't attract me.

Yep, it's the Paquin "Darkness" alright! Wow! It really got slammed on Rotten Tomatoes (4%) and my long term reference "reel.com" slammed it as well. Perhaps I should continue to skip that one!

I wasn't impressed with "Darkness" aka "The Dark"; actually was very disappointed. Rent it, you can always hit the FF button (or the Eject button).

Paquin really looks much younger than she does on "True Blood".

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #132 of 150 Old 02-25-2009, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 897
I thought "The Strangers" was intelligent, not much of a horror but more terror film.
post #133 of 150 Old 02-25-2009, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

I thought "The Strangers" was intelligent, not much of a horror but more terror film.

It was "ok", nothing to write home about.

I watched The Midnight Meat Train the other night and I really enjoyed that one, I will be adding it to my library. It started off kinda cheesy and I thought it was going to be lame but it finished strong.

My Rig

post #134 of 150 Old 02-25-2009, 12:35 PM

Liked: 10
What about "The Feast".

I don't know if it is considered intelligent, but I thought that was one of the best "over the top" horror movies that I have seen in a long time. It reminded me of a cross between "Dead Alive" and "From Dusk Till Dawn".
post #135 of 150 Old 05-09-2009, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

It was "ok", nothing to write home about.

I watched The Midnight Meat Train the other night and I really enjoyed that one, I will be adding it to my library. It started off kinda cheesy and I thought it was going to be lame but it finished strong.

I have to agree with The Midnight Meat Train. It is brutal, and that I think keep it from being a main stream horror film. Very enjoyable and creepy. Wonderful treat.
post #136 of 150 Old 05-20-2009, 09:36 PM

I didn't see this one listed in this thread (and I'm rather surprised by that fact), but Guillermo del Toro's The Devil's Backbone] is intelligent horror at its very best. Everything about this truly original ghost story is pitch perfect--highly, highly recommended if you're looking for a thinking man's horror flick.

I'm also seconding Session 9, The Ring, and 28 Days Later. Incidentally, did someone already mention The Sixth Sense in this thread?

TinMan368

Today's trivia question:

Q) In 1989, world champion Garry Kasparov defeated a chess computer named Deep Thought. In 1996, he beat the IBM-developed Deep Blue, but lost to an upgraded version of the same computer in 1997. What was the name of the chess program that Kasparov battled in January of 2003?

A)
Spoiler  
Deep Junior. Kasparov played six games against Junior, winning one, losing one, and drawing on the other four matches.

TinMan368

Abuse of the English language, example #155:

Rick: How are you today, Hank?

Hank: I'm having a magnanimous day.
post #137 of 150 Old 06-03-2009, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I watched 100 feet last night with Famke Janssen and it was pretty weak. I have The Last Winter to watch tonight (some Blockbuster exclusive with Ron Perlman) but I've been having bad luck with my horror picks lately

If anyone has anything new to add to this thread I could use some fresh recs.

My Rig

post #138 of 150 Old 06-03-2009, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm sorry to hear you didn't care for this film, I'm a long time fan of Famke Janssen and I'm partial to Michael Pare' as well! Perhaps I should do the rental thing .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan368 View Post

I didn't see this one listed in this thread (and I'm rather surprised by that fact), but Guillermo del Toro's The Devil's Backbone] is intelligent horror at its very best. Everything about this truly original ghost story is pitch perfect--highly, highly recommended if you're looking for a thinking man's horror flick.

I'm also seconding Session 9, The Ring, and 28 Days Later. Incidentally, did someone already mention The Sixth Sense in this thread?

TinMan368

I don't recall "The Sixth Sense" being mentioned, but it's certainly a good film !
post #139 of 150 Old 06-03-2009, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm sorry to hear you didn't care for this film, I'm a long time fan of Famke Janssen and I'm partial to Michael Pare' as well! Perhaps I should do the rental thing .

I don't recall "The Sixth Sense" being mentioned, but it's certainly a good film !

Indeed, Famke is very enjoyable and I like her in about everything I've seen her in... still waiting for the House on Haunted Hill to be released on blu. I've added The Devil's Backbone to my queue which is also only available on dvd but I really enjoyed The Orphanage so I'd like to check this one out. Any others?

My Rig

post #140 of 150 Old 06-04-2009, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Indeed, Famke is very enjoyable and I like her in about everything I've seen her in... still waiting for the House on Haunted Hill to be released on blu. I've added The Devil's Backbone to my queue which is also only available on dvd but I really enjoyed The Orphanage so I'd like to check this one out. Any others?

I think you'll find Devil's backbone a tad better than Orphanage, at least i did. Not that its a spoiler,
Spoiler  
but It's actually a prequel to Pan's Labyrinth.. i'll not elaborate on that in case it spoils the movie for someone.

Also a big thanks to all the folks in this thread, i really enjoyed Descent(bought it) and also Dog Soliders..

Also would recommend the original dutch version of 'The Vanishing', not a horror movie per se, but really really creepy with a very disturbing ending.

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays
PSN Id:blitz500

post #141 of 150 Old 06-07-2009, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daman S View Post

I think you'll find Devil's backbone a tad better than Orphanage, at least i did. Not that its a spoiler,
Spoiler  
but It's actually a prequel to Pan's Labyrinth.. i'll not elaborate on that in case it spoils the movie for someone.

???

Spoiler  
Please elaborate. It's been awhile since I saw the Devil's backbone but isn't the only thing they have in common is that they happen in the same time period. Beyond that I can't see how it's a prequel or related to PL.
post #142 of 150 Old 06-07-2009, 12:54 PM

One of my favorite horror "intellectual" films is "The Changeling", not the newer movie with Jolie. This movie was made in the early 80's and starred George C. Scott and Trish Van Devere. It's not bloody, is a bit dated with the dress, etc. But it has such an eerie tone and it's a good story. This movie isn't about what you see but what you don't see. Always creeps me out. Too bad it's not available in blu-ray.
post #143 of 150 Old 09-20-2009, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just watching "Dog Soldiers" for the second time, and the dialog remains excellent -- well above typical for anything on film -- highly believable (IMO) -- the sergeant is nothing less than perfect.

Watched the "The Devil's backbone", and though it was somewhat interesting, it was also drawn out and somewhat lackluster, again IMO! I'd say that film is comprised of several elements and horror is relatively back burner -- brutal manipulation, decite and sadism is more foreground.

I also watched "Machine Girl", pretty decent I think, and "Tokyo Gore Patrol" -- much harder to engage, IMO. Of the four, "Dog Soldiers" is my hands down favorite !

Unfortunately, my Amazon used copy of "Ju-an" is defective, can't get past the roughly halfway point despite multiple polishings ! Perhaps I can get the surface refinished by a local video store, or maybe I just need a non-used copy !
post #144 of 150 Old 09-21-2009, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by debussyj View Post

One of my favorite horror "intellectual" films is "The Changeling", not the newer movie with Jolie. This movie was made in the early 80's and starred George C. Scott and Trish Van Devere. It's not bloody, is a bit dated with the dress, etc. But it has such an eerie tone and it's a good story. This movie isn't about what you see but what you don't see. Always creeps me out. Too bad it's not available in blu-ray.

Yes, and the scene where
Spoiler  
the wheelchair moves all about on its own
still creeps me out to this day.
post #145 of 150 Old 02-21-2013, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I picked up a copy of "Darkness" and felt it an interesting concept, but it didn't really seem to go anywhere, too laid back a script perhaps?

Watched "REC" (2007) on DVD and later re-bought with "REC 2" (2009) on BD, both very good. After "REC", "Quarantine" (2008) was a bit of a let down, a clearly lesser remake. However, "Quarantine 2" (2011) is excellent (not yet on BD) and could logically serve as a REC 2 (actual REC 2 shifting to third spot). Since then, "REC 3":Genesis (2012) has also surfaced -- takes place at a wedding party..

Couldn't get my used "Ju-on" resurfaced (the video rental stores don't have the equipment anymore) and so bought a new copy. Have been buying some Steven King films on DVD including the above mentioned "Storm of the Century" (1999). Also picking up "Apt Pupil" (1998), "Rose Red" (2002),"It" (1990), "1408" (2007), and the Steven King version of "The Shining" (1997) which is much closer to the original novel than Kubrik's film. Also "Pet Sematary" (1989), despite something of a silliness factor (the 1983 novel was easily superior), and "Maximum Overdrive" (1986) for sheer fun smile.gif! By the way, "Cujo" (1983) is a darned good scary film!

I've decide to move on "The Changeling" (1980), looked at it earlier, but never acted. Also "The Innocents" (1961), both DVD.
post #146 of 150 Old 02-21-2013, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS View Post

Watched REC on DVD and later bought both REC & REC 2 on BD, both very good. After REC, Quarantine is a bit of a let down, a clearly lesser remake. However, Quarantine 2 is excellent (not yet on BD) and could logically serve as a REC 2 (actual REC 2 shifting to third spot smile.gif). Since then, REC 3 has also been released, apparently a different thread from the others.

If memory serves didn't Quarantine have the terribly annoying Lt. Morgan as lead in place of the lovely Manuela Valesquez and at the same time be absent of the religious element which was the prime focus on REC2?

If you like foreign horror and want to see something fresh check out Inbred. It's B locked on bluray but a super fun movie and a breath of fresh air in the horror genre IMO.

My Rig

post #147 of 150 Old 02-21-2013, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I still have to watch my copies of "Wrong Turn" (2003), WT2 (2007), Hell Raiser 2 (1988), and "The Hills Have Eyes" (1977), probably enough inbred to hold me awhile smile.gif! I notice "Inbred" (2011) has an RT critic rating of 13%, but seems the audience loves it -- 77%!

For some reason, Jennifer Carpenter as the reporter doesn't work as well as her "REC" counterpart. Maybe the script, maybe the acting, maybe both, but despite having to read subtitles, the original is easily more engaging. I definitely like "Quarantine 2" though, I consider that a worthy "REC" sequel.
post #148 of 150 Old 02-22-2013, 03:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:

I still have to watch my copies of "Wrong Turn" (2003), WT2 (2007), Hell Raiser 2 (1988), and "The Hills Have Eyes" (1977), probably enough inbred to hold me awhile smile.gif! I notice "Inbred" (2011) has an RT critic rating of 13%, but seems the audience loves it -- 77%!

For some reason, Jennifer Carpenter as the reporter doesn't work as well as her "REC" counterpart. Maybe the script, maybe the acting, maybe both, but despite having to read subtitles, the original is easily more engaging. I definitely like "Quarantine 2" though, I consider that a worthy "REC" sequel.

Some real good ones there. The Hills Have Eyes is great, although i have only seen the newer version, not the 1977 one. Wrong Turn is excellant too.

Inbred is quite a movie!

As to the Quarantine and REC movies, i actually like the Quarantine movies better due to the lack of bringing religion into them compared to the REC movies which rely much heavier on religion in them.

never take life seriously
post #149 of 150 Old 02-22-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've found RT to be less reliable than most other sources. Not sure why but the critic reviews there almost never represent my opinion and seldom align with the popular vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

Some real good ones there. The Hills Have Eyes is great, although i have only seen the newer version, not the 1977 one. Wrong Turn is excellant too.

Inbred is quite a movie!

As to the Quarantine and REC movies, i actually like the Quarantine movies better due to the lack of bringing religion into them compared to the REC movies which rely much heavier on religion in them.
I liked REC & REC2 better for that reason and others but I thought the religious angle was very a refreshing and original concept in the tired zombie genre. I'd rate that up there with Pontypool, high marks for originality.

My Rig

post #150 of 150 Old 02-22-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Just saw Quarantine 2 last week and was much better than I thought it would be as a DTV effort. I kind of like having the religious and non religious POV for the two franchises - but REC 3 did not work for me at all.

Viewed The Divide for the first time this week and for some reason it reminded me of Pontypool with the "action" mostly taking place in one confined area and how we handle the pressure of isolation.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page