Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 39 Old 11-18-2007, 03:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhan View Post

This looks interesting. Persepolis trailer.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809698229/video/5002714/

Saw this today at the Denver International Film Festival.

Highly recommended.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 11-19-2007, 06:50 PM

Liked: 11
Here are the ones I've seen:

Cars - Very good
Chicken Little - did not like it
Monster house - Excellent
Ice Age: The Meltdown - Not as goood as Ice Age, but still very good.
post #33 of 39 Old 11-19-2007, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I'm so sick of talking CG animal movies. Every movie studio is just flooding the market, and the kids just eat it up. Only one studio deserves to make them.......
post #34 of 39 Old 11-20-2007, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bing View Post

I'm so sick of talking CG animal movies. Every movie studio is just flooding the market, and the kids just eat it up. Only one studio deserves to make them.......

FWIW, I have nothing against the type of films you're referring to... as long as they're good, like the original Shrek and Ice Age for example.

Am I a little overwhelmed by the number of recent films along these lines?... Well the answer would be: Yes. And that's more or less why I started this discourse, to try to sift out which are worth the time to investigate, and which aren't.

So far, on the CG side, it's sounding like Over the Hedge, Cars, Ratatouille, and Monster House may be among the more worthwhile recent films to check out, with sort of a split decision on Hoodwinked. And among other animated genres, probably the Triplets of Belleville, Wallace & Gromit, and The Simpsons are good contenders. I think I know pretty much what to expect from Christmas Time in South Park, and Bender's Big Score, but more data is probably needed on these:
  • Arthur and the Invisibles
  • Dr. Strange
  • Happily N'ever After
  • Meet the Robinsons
  • Persepolis
  • Rennaissance
  • A Scanner Darkly (Is this really "animated", or more of a graphical live-action film?)
  • Shrek the Third
  • TMNT (Some folks in the HD forums rave about the PQ on this, but I've not heard much about the movie itself.)

Would I like to see more diversity?... For sure.

Should only one studio be doing CG animated pictures?... Definitely not!!

The more the merrier I says, long as the work's good. I'd like to see more good "traditional animation" too. The digital tools are certainly there to help streamline that process and make more dazzling "2D" animation possible as well. So far though, only a relative few companies seem to really be taking advantage of that (outside of TV shows and the anime genre).

As far as CG's concerned, movies like Dragonheart, the two most recent Star Wars films, Sky Captain, FF7, Polar Express, (and possibly Beowulf, which I haven't seen yet) I think demonstrate the potential for CG to do other types of things. And hopefully more innovative stuff along these lines will be forthcoming soon as well.

Will we see a pretty steady stream of digital animals from this point on?...

Probably.

ADU
post #35 of 39 Old 12-21-2007, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Special Member

Some thoughts on a few other films...

HAPPY FEET
Of the half dozen or so new animated pictures I've looked at in the last few weeks, this is the one I couldn't wait to check out again. Amazing animation (once you get past the initial weirdness of the mocapped movement, and very human-sounding voices coming from realistic-looking marine critters). Amazing soundtrack. Fantastic film from start to finish. If you can see it in HD, so much the better. Some scenes in this may be a little intense for younger viewers. A 1936 Chuck Jones/Tex Avery classic, "I Love to Singa", is also included in the extras.

THE SIMPSONS MOVIE
Superbly idiotic, and sublimely stupid. As far as PQ's concerned, some have commented re edge-enhancement on the DVD edition. Detail on the BD was maybe a tad soft, and had some minor high-frequency ringing visible at times (on a Sony S300 mapped 1:1 on a 1080p LCD). That may just be the normal by-product of compressing such hard-edged graphics though. Loved some of the trailers in the extras. And there are a few easter eggs as well (on the BD version anyway):
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
In the main menu, select one of the options below PLAY MOVIE. Hit the left arrow on the remote. An underline should appear. Press enter, and you'll see developmental sketches of the new characters in the film. Each menu item shows a different set of sketches.

MONSTER HOUSE
Another animated feature that leans heavily on mocap. Excellent story though. Images have a somewhat aged filmic look which fits well with the story IMHO.

OPEN SEASON
Giving this a thumb's up as well despite the somewhat more juvenile-oriented humor, mainly because the voice artists and animators do a nice job, and the more abstract look of the animation and backgrounds adds to the visual interest. Also recommend checking this out in HD to get the full effect.

MEET THE ROBINSONS
The style may not be as groundbreaking as some of the others (the characters and look of the animation remind one of The Incredibles and Robots), but the color and clarity in the BD certainly provide some amazing eye-candy. Definite demo material in several scenes.

SHREK THE THIRD
Story-wise this is probably the weakest of the three Shrek films. But the textures and detail are amazing in HD.

OVER THE HEDGE
The quintessential furry critter film of the bunch. The characters and animation are definitely good and have alot of 3-D pop, which will surely engage some viewers (especially younger ones I suspect). Maybe my expectations were too high after reading positive reviews. Or perhaps if I hadn't seen The Ant Bully and Open Season first, I would have been somewhat more receptive, but it seemed a bit lacking in imagination/originality compared to some of the others. Probably just me though.

CARS
Superb animation (and voice performances) as usual from Pixar. As for the story, it probably depends where you stand on anthropomorphized racing and vintage (or in some cases just plain rusty) vehicles, CO2 emissions and such. Personally I rather liked it despite the somewhat "un-PC" subject matter.

I WANT A DOG FOR CHRISTMAS, CHARLIE BROWN
Solid new Schulz-inspired effort (made in 2003, released on DVD in 2005) featuring Linus and Lucy's younger brother, Rerun, from the same folks that brought you the other Peanuts shows. This is probably one of the better-looking Peanuts DVDs I've seen... except that it appears to have been edited on video, which may cause deinterlacing issues for some players. If you're using an upconverting player for example, you may have to put it in forced video mode (or switch to 480i and let the display do this) to avoid the frequent bits of combing/jaggies that occur during cuts and dissolves between scenes. If your player suffers from CUE/ICP, that'll probably also be quite visible in places. A 2nd bonus feature, CHARLIE BROWN'S CHRISTMAS TALES, can be found in the extras along with a documentary on the making of the original Charlie Brown Xmas.

A couple more animated classics recently released on DVD...

SPACE GHOST & DINO BOY
If you were a kid in the 60's you'll probably recall these excellent circa 1966 Alex Toth cartoons. While shorter in duration than Jonny Quest (each episode of SG & DB ran a mere ~7 minutes versus ~25 for JQ), these were also among Hanna-Barbera's better animated action/adventure efforts. What these cartoons lacked in length, they made up for in wall-to-wall action. Discs in this set are 2-sided, and the PQ is definitely on the weaker side. Looks like it may have originated from older tape masters. The discs aren't well-packaged either. I went through quite a few before finding a set with minimal defects. The upside for Toth/HB fans is you don't have to tivo it off CN to compile all the episodes in one place. A good Toth documentary is also included.

THE JUNGLE BOOK
Another Disney classic partially marred by what appears to be a somewhat heavy-handed attempt to clean up the image quality. The sound is great, considering the film's 40-year old age. Unfortunately the picture on the new anamorphic DVD doesn't fare quite as well. Some scenes are better than others, but overall the picture lacks detail, definition and richness (especially compared with some of the newer releases above in crystal clear HD), and looks like it may have been run through some noise/grain reduction routines. Along with noise/grain, the processing seems to have stripped away a good bit of detail and life from the picture as well. If you've seen the original fullscreen release, you'll probably also notice a fair amount of image cropped away to fit the 16:9AR. According to imdb, the intended theatrical ratio of the film was 1.75 (the neg was 1.37). The framing feels a little claustrophobic at this wider AR though, especially if the TV has overscan. There are also thin black bars on the sides due to the slightly narrower than 16:9 ratio, which may be visible on displays with 1:1 mapping or no overscan. Excellent collection of extras. This is one of the Disney titles that'll probably go back into the vault again (until an HD edition is released?).

ADU
post #36 of 39 Old 12-26-2007, 01:22 PM
gdc

Liked: 10
I saw Cars and Happy Feet, and was pleasantly surprised with both of them (I have a high bar for animation features and no children). Both of the stories were a tad too cute for me to add to my collection, but the animation quality was high.

Triplets of Belleville - I love this flick and have given it as a gift to 6-7 others. It is SO different than most of the other features that if you like the others, you may HATE this. (In my case, I detest the majority of major US studio animation.) The animation is old-school but super effective.

Curse of the Were-rabbit - I am a Wallace and Gromit fan from way back. Claymation can achieve an effect that you can't get with ultra-realistic CGI, but again it's very effective for the story.

For anyone looking for unique animation, check into Satoshi Kon's Millenium Actress and Paprika. Both are similar to Miyazaki's stuff but with a little more edginess.

- Gordon

We don"t see things as they are, we see things as we are. - Anais Nin
post #37 of 39 Old 12-27-2007, 05:11 AM

Liked: 14
I am a big fan of animation in general, and enjoy most that I see. This is why I was shocked at how much I disliked Happy Feet. I barely sat through it once, and immediately sold the DVD because I knew I would never watch it a second time.
post #38 of 39 Old 01-13-2008, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM View Post

I am a big fan of animation in general, and enjoy most that I see. This is why I was shocked at how much I disliked Happy Feet.

If you happen to give it another look, check out the bonus Chuck Jones toon "I Love to Singa" (featuring Owl Jolson) in the extras. You may like it more than the movie.

The DVDs of Happy Feet are a little problematic btw. There's not really enough detail on the widescreen 2.35AR edition, and major croppage on the fullscreen. A slightly less-cropped 1.78AR anamorphic DVD edition might not have been a bad compromise in this case.

ADU
post #39 of 39 Old 01-13-2008, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdc View Post

Triplets of Belleville - I love this flick and have given it as a gift to 6-7 others. It is SO different than most of the other features that if you like the others, you may HATE this... The animation is old-school but super effective.

ToB was sorta fun. The style reminded me of the old Pink Panther toons (which also emphasize visuals over dialogue), and Victorian look of some older Disney classics. PQ on the DVD definitely needed work though. The EE was straining my eyes even on my normally pretty forgiving CRT. There is an imported HD-DVD edition of this available as well.

ADU
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page