No Country For Old Men (Spoiler Discussion about the Meaning) - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 233 Old 11-01-2008, 04:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekhd View Post

I don't get Coens? I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Yes, your posts have made that abundantly clear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 233 Old 11-01-2008, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Yes, your posts have made that abundantly clear.

Can you be more specific?
post #213 of 233 Old 11-01-2008, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Can you be more specific?

As has already been stated, either you click with the Coen's or you don't. It's OK that you're not on the same wavelength. It doesn't imply anything aside from "different strokes". (Note: I'm not saying that if someone doesn't enjoy Coen Bros movies then they must automatically be a Michael Bay fan.)

I thought NCFOM was excellent and every viewing is a treat. The only thing missing from repeated viewings is the crushing feeling of dread as Anton hunts down our hero.

And while I don't enjoy EVERYTHING they've made, many of their films get better the more you watch them. I love O Brother, Big Lebowski, The Man Who Wasn't There, & Barton Fink, but I only liked them the first time around.
post #214 of 233 Old 11-01-2008, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan View Post

And while I don't enjoy EVERYTHING they've made, . . .

Well, I do!!

Quote:

. . . many of their films get better the more you watch them.

I agree.

They are most likely my favorite film makers of all time.

post #215 of 233 Old 11-01-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:

As has already been stated, either you click with the Coen's or you don't. It's OK that you're not on the same wavelength.

I have not revealed much about my view on Coens especially for NCFOM. I've just made a comparison to a few other directors who are very famous. I'm simply trying to figure out what clues from my post gave gwsat an "abundantly clear" impression of me not getting Coens and I'm "clearly pissed off".
post #216 of 233 Old 11-02-2008, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

As has already been stated, either you click with the Coen's or you don't. It's OK that you're not on the same wavelength. It doesn't imply anything aside from "different strokes". (Note: I'm not saying that if someone doesn't enjoy Coen Bros movies then they must automatically be a Michael Bay fan.)

I thought NCFOM was excellent and every viewing is a treat. The only thing missing from repeated viewings is the crushing feeling of dread as Anton hunts down our hero.

And while I don't enjoy EVERYTHING they've made, many of their films get better the more you watch them. I love O Brother, Big Lebowski, The Man Who Wasn't There, & Barton Fink, but I only liked them the first time around.

Yeah, my point was that it seemed to me, he doesn't appreciate the Coens very much. In fact, that's what he said. As you observed, that's perfectly all right with me. Also, it was also pretty clear to me, an impression since confirmed, that he was "pissed off." I long ago learned that carrying on discourse with folks who are angry is a bad idea. I come here to have fun.

I agree that, in addition to NCfOM, many Coen films do get better with each new viewing. In fact, O Brother Where Art Thou and The Big Lebowski had that effect on me. I even liked Barton Fink better the second time, although it's clearly not in a class with the others. Now I want to see Burn After Reading again. I saw it in the theater and liked it a lot, although my 15 year old grandson, whose judgment is usually similar to mine, was less impressed than I was.
post #217 of 233 Old 11-02-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:

Yeah, my point was that it seemed to me, he doesn't appreciate the Coens very much. In fact, that's what he said.

gwsat, would you mind quoting the part I said that for a fact?

Quote:
I come here to have fun.

I come here to have fun too and the last thing I expected was to be accused of being pissed off. I think I will be if you stay the course with such a wild assumption about me. I'll state it again, I am not and was not pissed off at all about your reply.

I've made a slight hint on where I think Coen brothers would place in the ranking of directors. I certainly hope that a little hint like that doesn't make you to believe that I "don't get Coens" or not appreciate the Coens very much.

Note from flyersfan:
Quote:
(Note: I'm not saying that if someone doesn't enjoy Coen Bros movies then they must automatically be a Michael Bay fan.)

Good point. Has anyone asked me if I enjoyed Coen Bros movies, especially NCFOM? Not so far.

Let me try again since my post may have been misunderstood.
Quote:

I agree entirely about the weakness of the final scene. Although I have seen this film many times, I still have no idea what Sheriff Bell was talking about when he described his dream to his wife. I felt the same way when I read the novel, that scene was just as opaque as it is in the movie.

I'm just curious, gwsat, are you saying that Coen brothers could've done a better job with that weak part so that it gives a strong finish?
post #218 of 233 Old 11-05-2008, 04:51 PM

I don't entirely agree about the weakness of the final scene. With a bit of thinking, one can see that it's not weak.

Maybe some don't get it...
post #219 of 233 Old 11-05-2008, 06:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't entirely agree about the weakness of the final scene. With a bit of thinking, one can see that it's not weak.

I have watched the final scene, in which Sheriff Bell tells his wife about his dream, innumerable times and still don't get it, despite more than "a bit of thinking." I also read McCarty's novel and got no help there, either. Perhaps you can articulate for us what that scene's deeper meaning is. back atcha.

As noted in many earlier posts to this thread, I loved No Country, it has become one of my favorite movies. Nevertheless . . .
post #220 of 233 Old 11-05-2008, 08:10 PM

But if something that weak was let to pass, then what are you saying about Coens?
post #221 of 233 Old 11-06-2008, 08:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The plot stuff is interesting and entertaining. But the genius of the Coen's is character study. Their films are as good as that gets.
post #222 of 233 Old 11-17-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal71RS View Post

I saw this lastnight. I really liked it and it kept me rivited till the end. I wasn't sure how to feel at the end. I didn't understand what had happened. But I have never been in a movie that ended in such a way. I thought it was cutting to a new scene and then the light slowly came on. I was like WTF!
I got lost after the sherrif goes back to the hotel. They show the bad guy in there and the sherrif going in. But nothing happens. ecept him noticing the vent cover is off. Then it goes to the conversation with whom I assume was his brother and then to a conversation with his wife.
Maybe the hotel scene was a dream. And he thought the only outcome of his continuing to perssue this guy was going to be his death. Thus him talking to his brother about quitting.
I don't know I'm going to have to rent this when it comes out to go over it again.
Definitly a very engrosing movie with a good bit of dark humor sprinkled about.

You are completely right. I also felt the same thing when I saw the last half an hour of this movie. Actually whats the point. If you see a psycho quit your job as sheriff. Hand him everything and let him roam around freely killing people. All you people speaking about psychology of this movie. Is this the psychology that the film want to create on the newer generations,"When you see a psycho quit ur job". Actually the apt name for this movie can be " No Country for normal men" or "Country for psycho". Way to go for great film making. To my part I enjoyed the film totally until the last half hour.
post #223 of 233 Old 11-18-2008, 07:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_bala81 View Post

You are completely right. I also felt the same thing when I saw the last half an hour of this movie. Actually whats the point. If you see a psycho quit your job as sheriff. Hand him everything and let him roam around freely killing people. All you people speaking about psychology of this movie. Is this the psychology that the film want to create on the newer generations,"When you see a psycho quit ur job". Actually the apt name for this movie can be " No Country for normal men" or "Country for psycho". Way to go for great film making. To my part I enjoyed the film totally until the last half hour.

Don't feel alone for being a bit puzzled by No Country's ending after seeing it for the first time, so was I. Upon later viewings, though, I got a lot more from it. My analysis is that Chigurh is a metaphor for the randomness of life and the evil, which might be around the next corner. Sheriff Bell, who was getting old and had already learned that times had changed in ways he could not understand, saw the randomness and evil that Chigurh represented and decided he had had enough of law enforcement. God knows whether that was McCarthy's and the Coen's message but that was what I got from it. Try watching the movie again yourself and see what you think. I believe you will be glad if you do.
post #224 of 233 Old 04-05-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:

Don't feel alone for being a bit puzzled by No Country's ending after seeing it for the first time, so was I. Upon later viewings, though, I got a lot more from it. My analysis is that Chigurh is a metaphor for the randomness of life and the evil, which might be around the next corner. Sheriff Bell, who was getting old and had already learned that times had changed in ways he could not understand, saw the randomness and evil that Chigurh represented and decided he had had enough of law enforcement. God knows whether that was McCarthy's and the Coen's message but that was what I got from it. Try watching the movie again yourself and see what you think. I believe you will be glad if you do.

+1
post #225 of 233 Old 04-05-2009, 04:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

selimsivad -- Thanks. As noted in this thread and Ralph's review thread, No Country is one of my very favorite films, beautifully written, brilliantly acted, and endlessly thought provoking.

I bought this DVD the day it became available and rented the BD from BB when it came out. I am now trying to decide whether to spring for the two disc special edition. I'll probably do it because I can't think of anything I would want to buy more.
post #226 of 233 Old 04-05-2009, 05:18 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Wow, what a great read this thread has been. Not sure how I missed it all this time, but there is some truly great insight at work here from you guys. I'm definitely about to put some time in watching this one again after reading all of this. I really enjoyed the film the first time I saw it, but hadn't put the kind of thought into it that everyone here has.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #227 of 233 Old 04-05-2009, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I don't get it..

It was like 2001 A Space Odyssey when I sat in the movie theater and said.........What

WeÂre doomed. It will never work
post #228 of 233 Old 04-05-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones07 View Post

I don't get it..

Not getting it was my mocking of gwsat.
You may get that if you read preceding posts.
post #229 of 233 Old 04-05-2009, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is all the damn eye rolling really necessary?

WeÂre doomed. It will never work
post #230 of 233 Old 04-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
To quote Sheriff Bell's last words. "Then I Woke Up". That just about sums it all up. Great Movie.
post #231 of 233 Old 04-08-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiew View Post

To quote Sheriff Bell's last words. "Then I Woke Up". That just about sums it all up. Great Movie.

So you wouldn't say the final scene was weak, would you?
post #232 of 233 Old 04-08-2009, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I suspect that what follows is unnecessary for those of you who have read this thread. Nevertheless, let me reiterate that I loved No Country, despite not completely understanding Sheriff Bell's ruminations about his dream concerning his father. Although, I didn't get it, in the sense that I could say with confidence what it meant, I thought that it captured the tone of the film, including its many inherent ambiguities. See post #223.
post #233 of 233 Old 07-07-2009, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Just watched this film for the first time and here's my review:

No Country for Old Men(2007)
9.4/10
A man finds himself being hunted by a calculating psychopath. First I must tell you that the directors and writers weren't trying to tell a story, but provide you with an experience. Javier Bardem delivers an amazing performance as a psychotic murderer, who's logic never fails to keep the audience in suspense. All aspects of this production are top-notch, including the audio design, which really sets the mood for each scene by adding subtle details to keep you on the edge of your seat. This film is not for everyone, but for those who enjoy this type of brutal excellence, you'll walk away with an experience you will never forget.

David Budo
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page