post #91 of 145 Old 06-17-2008, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Ah, thank you! I see here that there was a rerelease in 2005 that is pan and scan only. Not exactly forward progress...

-Bill

I hate when they do that. Hard Times is one of those movies I can watch anytime and enjoy. Glad I got the early version when avauilable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 145 Old 06-18-2008, 08:06 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyth22 View Post

I think The Last Emporer is too fine a film to be represented by the current poor quaility dvd and The Friends of Eddie Coyle with a classic Robert Mitchum performance deserves to be released on DVD.

smyth -

The Criterion Collection has released "The Last Emperor" on DVD in February, 2008. I feel the Criterion makes a good DVD and is well worth it's cost.

http://www.criterion.com/asp/release.asp?id=422
post #93 of 145 Old 06-19-2008, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'd like to see a movie called "The Sargeant" with Rod Steiger out on DVD..
post #94 of 145 Old 06-19-2008, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithb View Post

As for "Hard Times" it was released as a flipper way back in 2001 with a Pan and Scan on one side and a 2.35 anamorphic on the other. I have it and it looks good.

Quote:

Ah, thank you! I see here that there was a rerelease in 2005 that is pan and scan only. Not exactly forward progress...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithb View Post

I hate when they do that. Hard Times is one of those movies I can watch anytime and enjoy. Glad I got the early version when avauilable.

They did the same thing with "Screamers". The earlier version had both (though I'm not sure if it was anamorphic or not), but the later release (now the only available version) is Pan and Scan only.

I bought the later version not realizing it wasn't the same as the earlier release. I kept it only because it's nearly impossible to get the older edition. I really like that movie.
post #95 of 145 Old 06-19-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronto Pup View Post

The Who Rocks America
No Moon, but an excellent show anyway.

David Lee Roth
Pure wacky genius with this big budget video.

Elton Live in Australia
I had the LD and now have the bootleg DVD. It’s a great show, but the PQ needs an extreme remastering polish up.

Captain Beyond
Live video from back in the day is up on youtube! This will become available on DVD if there is a god.

Lenny Kravitz: Alive From Planet Earth

It’s a shame this isn’t out on DVD. It so eclipses the DVD that is available.

Three more concert films for you:

Queen was always great at filming concerts and then releasing them on video.
The following two are only available on VHS and Beta (and maybe LD). However, to the best of my knowledge, they have yet to see the light of day on DVD. I own both on VHS. I keep hoping for their release on DVD.

1) Queen Live in Rio (1985) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0159686/

2) Queen Live in Budapest (1986) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093427/

The last is a Christian rocker who retired from music at the top of his game.
His name is Steve Taylor. I highly recommend (for you Christian music aficionados) scouring ebay for a VHS copy of this one. I pray he releases a 25th anniversary DVD of this concert in 2010.

3) Steve Taylor - Limelight (1985) http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/stev...ight_the_film/

The soundtrack even has yet to see the digital age. Only available on (out of print) record or cassette. The rest of Steve's music catalog has long since been available on CD, why the soundtrack for Limelight was never released on CD is a mystery.

I am the Night Rider! I'm a fuel injected suicide machine! -- Night Rider from Mad Max

My DVD Collection
post #96 of 145 Old 06-19-2008, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

They did the same thing with "Screamers". The earlier version had both (though I'm not sure if it was anamorphic or not), but the later release (now the only available version) is Pan and Scan only.

I bought the later version not realizing it wasn't the same as the earlier release. I kept it only because it's nearly impossible to get the older edition. I really like that movie.

"KickBoxer" is another one time widescreen now only available as Pan and Scan.
post #97 of 145 Old 06-23-2008, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjz106 View Post

smyth -

The Criterion Collection has released "The Last Emperor" on DVD in February, 2008. I feel the Criterion makes a good DVD and is well worth it's cost.

http://www.criterion.com/asp/release.asp?id=422

Thanks for this; I just checked out a favourable review at the www.dvdbeaver.com site. Another one to add to my birthday list.

Peter
post #98 of 145 Old 09-01-2008, 11:15 AM

Liked: 90
Just wanted to put my slowly gathered list of movies not on DVD that I would like to see on DVD:
  • Adventures Of Mark Twain (1942) Fredric March, Alexis Smith
  • Merry Andrew (1958) Danny Kaye, Pier Angeli
  • The Remarkable Andrew (1942) William Holden, Brian Donlevy
  • Electric Dreams (1984) Virginia Madsen
  • Gallant Journey (1946) Glenn Ford
  • One Foot In Heaven (1941) Fredric March
  • Hobson's Choice (1954) Charles Laughton
  • Last Holiday (1950) Alec Guiness
  • Beau Brummell (1954) Stewart Granger, Elizabeth Taylor
  • Green Fire (1954) Stewart Granger, Grace Kelly, Paul Douglas
  • Mr Peabody And The Mermaid (1948) Willam Powell, Ann Blyth
  • It Happens Every Spring (1949) Ray Milland, Jean Peters, Paul Douglas
  • Apartment For Peggy (1948) Jeanne Crain, William Holden, Edmund Gwenn
post #99 of 145 Old 09-01-2008, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
sorry if there are repeats.

needed on DVD:

Trojan War
Salute Your Shorts (TV)
Boy Meets World (S4-7)

needed in Anamorphic:

With Honors (only available in 4X3)
10 Things I Hate About You
Grosse Point Blank
Father of the Bride Part II
Good Will Hunting
A Life Less Ordinary
Hocus Pocus
post #100 of 145 Old 09-01-2008, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post

Just wanted to put my slowly gathered list of movies not on DVD that I would like to see on DVD

That's a good list!

The only recent update I have to my original list is that a region 1 Arabesque is scheduled for Nov 11 2008.

I saw a rumor of Robert Ryan's Inferno but can't find anything about it.

These "may" be coming in 2009:
  • Theodora Goes Wild
  • My Sister Eileen
  • The Doctor Takes a Wife

-Bill
post #101 of 145 Old 09-05-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:

That's a good list!

Glad you like it. It's been a VERY long time since I've seen some these movies. I hope they get released.

Quote:

The only recent update I have to my original list is that a region 1 Arabesque is scheduled for Nov 11 2008.

I saw a rumor of Robert Ryan's Inferno but can't find anything about it.

These "may" be coming in 2009:
  • Theodora Goes Wild
  • My Sister Eileen
  • The Doctor Takes a Wife

-Bill

I agree with all of these. (Robert Ryan was a great actor. One of my favorite films of his: "On Dangerous Ground" is out in a collection: Film Noir, vol 3.)

I would add that I hope they rerelease the 1939 version of "Wuthering Heights". It came out once but it is not to be found anywhere for less than $50 used. PAL version can be gotten for about $25 new.

Another film (just thought of it) from 1939 is "On Borrowed Time". Not on DVD yet.
post #102 of 145 Old 09-05-2008, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

Robert Ryan was a great actor. One of my favorite films of his: "On Dangerous Ground" is out in a collection: Film Noir, vol 3.)

Yes, that's a fine film with Ida Lupino, great Bernard Herman score. Also recommended: THE SETUP and ODDS AGAINST TOMORROW, both directed by Robert Wise. Great Robert Ryan films is a long list.

Quote:

I would add that I hope they rerelease the 1938 version of "Wuthering Heights". I think it came out once but it is not to be found anywhere.

Something happend to it; I don't know what.

-Bill
post #103 of 145 Old 09-05-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:

Yes, that's a fine film with Ida Lupino, great Bernard Herman score. Also recommended: THE SETUP and ODDS AGAINST TOMORROW, both directed by Robert Wise. Great Robert Ryan films is a long list.

-Bill

Thanks for the reminders.
Ryan was an interesting and complex man.

Here is a brief bio from IMDB:

Ryan's career was a long one. Chicago born, distinguished US actor and long time civil rights campaigner, Robert Ryan served in the United States Marines as a drill instructor (winning a boxing championship) and went on to become a key figure in post WWII American film noir and western productions.

Ryan grabbed critical attention for his dynamic performance's as an anti-Semitic bully in the superb Crossfire (1947), as an over-the-hill boxer who refuses to take a fall in The Set-Up (1949) and as a hostile & jaded cop in On Dangerous Ground (1952). Ryan's athletic physique, intense gaze and sharply delivered, authoritarian tones made him an ideal actor for the oily world of the film noir genre, and he contributed solid performances to many noir features, usually as a vile villain. Ryan played a worthy opponent for bounty hunter James Stewart in the Anthony Mann directed western The Naked Spur (1953), he locked horns with an intrepid investigator Spencer Tracy in the suspenseful Bad Day at Black Rock (1955) and starred alongside Harry Belafonte in the grimy, gangster flick Odds Against Tomorrow (1959). Plus, the inventive Ryan excelled as the ruthless "John Claggart" in Billy Budd (1962), and two different WWII US generals - firstly in the star filled The Longest Day (1962) and secondly in Battle of the Bulge (1965).

For the next eight years prior to his untimely death in 1973, Ryan landed some tremendous roles in a mixture of productions each aided by his high calibre acting skills leaving strong impressions on movie audiences. He was one of the hard men hired to pursue kidnapped Claudia Cardinale in the hard boiled action of The Professionals (1966), a by-the-book army colonel clashing with highly unorthodox army major Lee Marvin in The Dirty Dozen (1967), and an embittered bounty hunter forced to hunt down old friend William Holden in the violent Sam Peckinpah western classic The Wild Bunch (1969). Ryan's final onscreen performance was in the terrific production of The Iceman Cometh (1973) based on the Eugene O'Neill play and also starring Lee Marvin and Fredric March.

Legend has it that Sam Peckinpah clashed very heatedly with Ryan during the making of The Wild Bunch (1969), however Peckinpah eventually backed down when a crew member reminded Sam of Robert Ryan's proficiency with his fists !

Primarily a man of pacifist beliefs, Ryan often found it a challenge playing sadistic and racist characters that very much were at odds with his own personal ideals. Additionally, Ryan actively campaigned for improved civil rights, restricting the growth of nuclear weapons and he strongly opposed McCarthyism and its abuse of innocent persons. A gifted, intelligent and powerful actor, Robert Ryan passed away on July 11th, 1973 of lung cancer.
post #104 of 145 Old 09-06-2008, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

Legend has it that Sam Peckinpah clashed very heatedly with Ryan during the making of The Wild Bunch (1969....

It would be much more unusual to find someone that Peckinpah didn't clash with. Intimidating and harrassing were his typical directing style. Even good friends had to put up with the abuse.
post #105 of 145 Old 09-06-2008, 01:34 PM

Leviathan (1989) still not on region 2 DVD in full six-track Dolby stereo, come on MGM/UA get with it this is a cool underwater sea thriller with a laughable moments.
post #106 of 145 Old 09-06-2008, 01:37 PM

Liked: 12
Howard the Duck...... yeah i know. But since I'm trying to buy all the 80's movies from my childhood I would have really liked to add it to my collection. Also to me this movie wasn't THAT bad.
post #107 of 145 Old 09-06-2008, 01:40 PM

Also a region 1 anamorphic version of The Abyss , Deep Rising and Armageddon would be nice too.
post #108 of 145 Old 09-06-2008, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

wow i remember that Leviathan poster from when i was a kid. (8)
post #109 of 145 Old 09-06-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

It would be much more unusual to find someone that Peckinpah didn't clash with. Intimidating and harrassing were his typical directing style. Even good friends had to put up with the abuse.

True. I read that John Ford had a similarly combative relationship w/actors. Henry Fonda supposedly decked him during the beginning of the Mr. Roberts film shoot. Mervyn LeRoy completed the directing.
post #110 of 145 Old 09-06-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elezzar View Post

Howard the Duck...... yeah i know. But since I'm trying to buy all the 80's movies from my childhood I really like to have this in my collection. Also to me this movie wasn't THAT bad.

I'm with you on this. There was this scene with Lea Thompson and the duck that was, uhm, suggestive.
Good monster @ the end, too.
post #111 of 145 Old 09-07-2008, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 126
The greatest concert Frank Sinatra ever did is not on dvd - CONCERT FOR THE AMERICAS. Nothing else comes close, Frankie was in great voice, he was interacting with the audience having fun, the setting was great, the song choice superb, and he had the Buddy Rich orchestra on it and Buddy did the West Side Story medley in which he took maybe the greatest drum break of all time. Damm, i want this thing on dvd. I believe it was an HBO special in the early 80's, not positive.

never take life seriously
post #112 of 145 Old 09-07-2008, 07:35 PM

R1 release of Mamet's HOMICIDE would be nice. This movie along with Mamet's HOUSE OF GAMES and THINGS CHANGE are personal favorites.

I can only assume it's not been released because fear of it's confusion with the Homicide TV show.

-comi
post #113 of 145 Old 09-07-2008, 11:31 PM

There so many movies not yet released on dvd or are due to have an anamorphic widescreen version . I'm waiting for the werewolf series to be released on dvd. Night of the creeps is another movie that comes to mind that isn't released yet on dvd. Thank God that at least we had The Monster Squad released !!!

Sorry for my english, guys. I know it sucks.
post #114 of 145 Old 09-20-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansemerick View Post

wow i remember that Leviathan poster from when i was a kid. (8)

Yeah I can't get enough of it, I'm like watching it over and over on youtube. I was looking at some of the region free DVD players and whoa the prices are very low so I might grab one soon so that I can get rare region 1 DVD to watch over and over and over again.

Martin - Beck you made it.
[SMACK!]
Beck - Better a lot better.

Leviathan
http://www.dvdinmypants.com/reviews/H-N/leviathan.php
post #115 of 145 Old 09-30-2008, 03:17 AM

subUrbia, a smart "teen" movie of sorts that takes place in the parking lot of a convenience store. Awesome Richard Linklater movie (he directed Dazed and Confused and A Scanner Darkly).

CH DVD: The look and sound of prefect.
post #116 of 145 Old 09-30-2008, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Song of the South. i'd like to see that for curiosity's sake.
post #117 of 145 Old 10-01-2008, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Looking For Mr Goodbar
Invasion of the Saucer Men
Galaxy of Terror
House of Dark Shadows
Night of Dark Shadows
Nine Inch Nails - Closure
The Beast From Hollow Mountain

Someone mentioned the Belushi/Ackroyd bomb "Neighbors," I'd really like to see that one as well. I remember seeing it when it originally came out in theaters and it was one of the few movies I saw that got a huge round of boos when the credits rolled.

T.B.
post #118 of 145 Old 10-27-2008, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
One-Man Content Creator

Update: Michael Powell's AGE OF CONSENT and STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN are scheduled for Jan 6 2009.

-Bill
post #119 of 145 Old 10-27-2008, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by elezzar View Post

Also a region 1 anamorphic version of The Abyss , Deep Rising and Armageddon would be nice too.

Armageddon is, I'm not ashamed to admit it, one of my guilty pleasures (and to be honest, there is something about Liv Tyler, she's just too lovely! She even made me buy The Strangers, which says a lot!); I've never understood why the criterion version wasn't anamorphic...
post #120 of 145 Old 10-28-2008, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

The greatest concert Frank Sinatra ever did is not on dvd - CONCERT FOR THE AMERICAS. Nothing else comes close, Frankie was in great voice, he was interacting with the audience having fun, the setting was great, the song choice superb, and he had the Buddy Rich orchestra on it and Buddy did the West Side Story medley in which he took maybe the greatest drum break of all time. Damm, i want this thing on dvd. I believe it was an HBO special in the early 80's, not positive.

You're right. That was a great concert. I've seen it for sale with another concert (1989, Frank, Sammy and Liza) here: ioffer.com.

Do a search under Movies & Television for "FRANK SINATRA-LIVE IN CONCERT-2 RARE CONCERTS-2 DVD SET". You might find it elsewhere on that site. You'll have to register (free) before you can buy. I can't vouch for the pic and sound quality or the seller.

I have bought items on ioffer.com (kind of an ebay knockoff) with varying degrees of pic and sound quality but have been fairly satisfied overall to find items otherwise unavailable elsewhere.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page