An American Crime -True Crime Horror - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 02-14-2008, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This movie is based on the same crime as depicted in "Jack Ketchum's The Girl Next Door" see this thread.

While "The Girl Next Door" is based upon a work of fiction about true events "An American Crime", also known as "The Basement" , premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in January to controversy amongst the critics. "An American Crime" uses the actually trial transcripts and is more true to the actually events.

Video interview with Tommy O'Haver on "American Crime", trailer for the movie.

Latest news on "An American Crime" from the official website:

"So the word is out, and it is true An American Crime will be premiering on Showtime later this year. Probably March or May. Many seem disappointed that there will be no theatrical release this was certainly not the original plan, after all.

We had a very complicated situation with our distributor First Look. There were offers from other companies, but First Look wouldn't sell the movie to a theatrical venue they felt it was in their financial interest to retain DVD rights at all costs. At the same time, they did not want to spend any money on a theatrical release even with Ellen Page's recent Academy Award nomination! Quite simply, they felt the film's subject matter was too dark to appeal to anyone. (We all know better.)

Anyway, thank God Showtime stepped in! They were willing to premiere the movie without taking the DVD rights.

Ultimately, I think it will be the best thing for An American Crime. First of all, Showtime is quickly becoming the edgiest channel on television these days their programming, in my opinion, surpasses that of HBO's. They certainly take more chances. And they are very passionate about the film. So it feels like the right fit.

More importantly, Sylvia's story will reach a far wider audience on Showtime certainly more than if we had a typical indie theatrical release. With Showtime's support, the movie's premiere will become a real event.

So that's the story in a nutshell. It's actually pretty exciting. And it won't be long before everyone has a chance to see the movie!"

According to this site "An American Crime", is debuting on SHOWTIME on Saturday, March 15 at 8 PM ET/PT.

Showtime's website does not list a date or time yet, only the movie title and a few details.

"Marines have no qualms about killing Martians"

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-17-2008, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I don't have Showtime, but after the TGND, I don't think I wanna re-visit this horrible crime again.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #3 of 16 Old 03-07-2008, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

According to the 'Offical Website' for "An American Crime" it will premiere this May on Showtime and be released on DVD sometime in the fall.

From the official website:

Posted by Tommy OHaver on February 21st, 2008 filed in Blog Posts

An American Crime' will finally have its premiere this May. Exact date to be determined. It was postponed from March so that both Catherine and Ellen would have time to support the movie.

The film will be released on DVD in the fall some time. Probably October.

It really is a relief to know that everyone will finally have a chance to see the film. And it should be something of an event. At the very least, an opportunity for everyone to see Ellen Page in a very different role. And playing against Catherine Keener in one of her best performances.

At the very most, Sylvia's tragic story will touch people all over the world.

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #4 of 16 Old 04-17-2008, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Finally, coming to Showtime in May. Schedule is listed below:

AMERICAN CRIME, AN (2006) (R)
Catherine Keener and Ellen Page star in this disturbing true story of a drug-addled woman who tortures and imprisons the teenage girl she is charged with care-taking in 1960s Indianapolis. Bradley Whitford and James Franco costar in this heartbreaking, twisted psychological drama.

SCHEDULE:
All times ET/PT.

Showtime
May 10 9:00 PM
Showtime Too
May 11 8:00 PM
Showtime
May 15 11:00 PM
Showtime Too
May 16 8:15 PM
Showtime Showcase
May 18 8:00 PM

AVAILABLE ON DEMAND:

Starting 05/11
Ending 06/07

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #5 of 16 Old 05-08-2008, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

Finally, coming to Showtime in May. Schedule is listed below:

AMERICAN CRIME, AN (2006) (R)
Catherine Keener and Ellen Page star in this disturbing true story of a drug-addled woman who tortures and imprisons the teenage girl she is charged with care-taking in 1960s Indianapolis. Bradley Whitford and James Franco costar in this heartbreaking, twisted psychological drama.

SCHEDULE:
All times ET/PT.

Showtime
May 10 9:00 PM
Showtime Too
May 11 8:00 PM
Showtime
May 15 11:00 PM
Showtime Too
May 16 8:15 PM
Showtime Showcase
May 18 8:00 PM

AVAILABLE ON DEMAND:

Starting 05/11
Ending 06/07

"An American Crime" premieres on Showtime 10 May at 9:00pm (all above times are still good).

If you have not seen "Jack Ketchum's The Girl Next Door" see "An American Crime" first.

Compared to JK's "The Girl Next Door" the scenes in "An American Crime" are pretty tame. The story is told using flashbacks and this tends to take the viewer out of what is happening.

At the beginning of the film I felt that Ellen Page's portrayal of Sylvia Likens was probably right on the spot but I was disappointed and did not find her at all convincing during
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
the torture scenes (as mild as they were). I mean, come on, you're getting burned with cigarettes and words craved on your stomach, I would think there would be more of a violent reaction than presented by EP.

Catherine Keener's (one of my favorite actresses) performance as Gertrude Baniszewski was disappointing for me also. At times she was outstanding but unfortunately she doesn't carry that throughout the entire movie.

Over all this is an interesting movie, especially if you see it before you see JK's TGND. I know I would have liked this more if I had not seen TGND first. I guess I was expecting more from AAC since it was made using the actual trial transcripts. Too bad they went lite on all the details.

Watch this, then if you want to watch a truly disturbing film watch "Jack Ketchum's The Girl Next Door".

If you've already seen TGND and have Showtime you've got nothing to lose so watch it, otherwise wait for the DVD it is worth a rental.

IMHO one of Ellen Page's worst performances.

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #6 of 16 Old 05-11-2008, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 150
I recorded this last night and watched it today. It was ok. Still somewhat disturbing but it was watered down a lot compared to The Girl Next Door. All the performances were mediocre.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #7 of 16 Old 05-11-2008, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

We had a very complicated situation with our distributor First Look. There were offers from other companies, but First Look wouldn't sell the movie to a theatrical venue they felt it was in their financial interest to retain DVD rights at all costs. At the same time, they did not want to spend any money on a theatrical release even with Ellen Page's recent Academy Award nomination! Quite simply, they felt the film's subject matter was too dark to appeal to anyone. (We all know better.)

That's an interesting stance for First Look to take and a big risk.

JohnG
post #8 of 16 Old 05-11-2008, 03:15 PM

They were smart not to do a theatrical release. The movie would've tanked.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #9 of 16 Old 05-11-2008, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

They were smart not to do a theatrical release. The movie would've tanked.

larry

I agree, it was very disappointing. JK's TGND was much better.

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #10 of 16 Old 08-27-2008, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Watched this last night. I know this is going to sound harsh and judgmental, but all I could think about during the movie was - white trash. I looked at some info on the Internet this morning and found a picture of Gertrude, and my impression stands. Only it doesn’t stop at Gertrude. I’m going to throw everyone under the bus for this crime.

Not Ellen’s best performance, but I didn’t find a lot for her to work with, or anyone for that matter. I thought Keener was very good. I’ve mentioned Ellen’s weight and her anorexic look before and she continues in this one. I’ve seen more recent pictures of her and it does look like she’s gained quite a few pounds. Maybe the skinniness was due to her getting that ‘young’ look for her roles. In any case, she looks much healthier now. I want to se this young and very talented woman hang around for a few years and not fall into that hellhole of severe weight-loss that many in Hollywood fall into.

I don’t understand why writers and directors omit some of the facts when doing true crimes. They omitted what initially set things into motion when it wasn’t necessary to do so. I say if you are going to do a movie about real events and its going to be gruesome, then be true to the story. If you are going to show cruel beatings, then show other events as well. They didn’t spend a lot of time during the torture scenes showing Ellen in pain and what that would have been like, and I think that was a good thing. It was more the atmosphere of what was going on and the herd mentality taking over - all too familiar. All in all I enjoyed this movie. Not great, but well worth the rent for me, because I enjoy getting into the psychology of why people do and say what they do.

I agree that this was best shown on TV because it wouldn’t have gone anywhere at the theaters.

Gertrude Baniszewski

Sylvia Likens
post #11 of 16 Old 08-27-2008, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

I don't understand why writers and directors omit some of the facts when doing true crimes. They omitted what initially set things into motion when it wasn't necessary to do so. I say if you are going to do a movie about real events and its going to be gruesome, then be true to the story. If you are going to show cruel beatings, then show other events as well. They didn't spend a lot of time during the torture scenes showing Ellen in pain and what that would have been like, and I think that was a good thing. It was more the atmosphere of what was going on and the herd mentality taking over - all too familiar. All in all I enjoyed this movie. Not great, but well worth the rent for me, because I enjoy getting into the psychology of why people do and say what they do.

Watch "Jack Ketchum's The Girl Next Door", but read this thread first.

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #12 of 16 Old 08-27-2008, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Saw that when I searched for this thread. I don't think I can sit through this again. PooperScooper likes horror-gore movies, and if he had a problem initially, then I don't think I'd feel very comfortable.
post #13 of 16 Old 08-27-2008, 09:39 AM

The stuff depicted in TGND is not horror-gore. It's closer to being a "snuff film". Although after watching the movie and knowing what happened I would probably have no problem watching the same thing(s) done to the perpetrators.

larry

post #14 of 16 Old 08-27-2008, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Although after watching the movie and knowing what happened I would probably have no problem watching the same thing(s) done to the perpetrators.

larry

+1 on that!

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #15 of 16 Old 06-03-2009, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I rented the DVD from Blockbuster. Horrible video transfer ...
Medicore movie. I didn't finish it. The only bright spot was Ellen Page.

The movie seemed pointless ... not recommended.
post #16 of 16 Old 06-03-2009, 10:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR_IN_LA View Post

The only bright spot was Ellen Page.

It seems that is often the case.

Where is my BD of Hard Candy??

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page