1st time HDTV Buyer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-18-2001, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking at purchasing either a 51,55 or 61 inch projection HDTV. Is there an optimal distance for watching either of these size sets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2001, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Many people say to buy the biggest set you can afford, because if you dont, you will regret it later. I have a 55, and view from around 10-15feet away from the set, and I love it. Some have even bought 65inch sets and are viewing the from less than 10ft away!! Its something that you adapt to.

Good Luck,
Fred

Fred M. DeGrandis Jr.
Old 12-19-2001, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Golf-
I hate to disagree w/ the Fred's advice, but not only do some people NOT get use to a screen that is too big from where thay can "get away" from the secreen, but some get headaches, eye strain, and nausea. Often, the culprit is NTSC material (non-HD) that is just not very sharp blown up to a big size...compression from satellite is another culprit. Another point is that it is a fallacy that you can sit nose-to-screen from a RPTV screen. From a too-close distance, you can still see scan lines/pixels.
Fred's right in that there is some adaptation, but recommended distances are for a reason. I was just in a tv store last weekend, and a family was really pitiful in there- they were begging to bring a 55" back after one week...willing to "swap out even" for a 50" as they were complaining of headaches and eye strain...and the sales guy was not very sympathetic!:rolleyes:

Do some watching in the store, w/ a tape measure in hand and then go home and measure how far you need to be back to, at the minimum, avoid noting scan lines/pixels.

Don't buy a TV at a size you "want"...figure out what your room will accommodate (viewing distance from screen) and then buy what fits.

Good luck.
Old 12-19-2001, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member

Even with my 47" Panasonic, its nice to sit nice and far away (kind of hinders playing gamecube tho), because it is just simply put, VERY BRIGHT! And TiVo doesn't help the poor picture quality of my cable either :D
Old 12-20-2001, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Bigger is not always better but wide is! I have a Toshiba50h81 It takes up very little floor space and I view from about 7 feet. I also can see everuthing fine from 25 ft....

Aka- Fr8mvr
Old 12-21-2001, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have a 65" Toshiba Widescreen that I watch from 9'. My son has been known to pull the couch to 6' to watch a particularly good HD movie. Even at this distance with a good HD movie, there are no pixles.

The issue is whether when you go to a movie theater do you sit in the middle or front of do you go to the rear. If you go to the rear of the theater, a small TV screen is ok. Otherwise you will like a large screen. Some non HD material will be a problem with the large screen but I find I watch less and less non HD.

Just my opinion.

Rick R