Laredo, TX - HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 67 Old 03-17-2008, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm moving to Laredo in a few months and wanted to start a discussion about HDTV in the local market (both in Laredo and Nuevo Laredo). My understanding is that there is some digital TV in the market already, and at least one Mexican station is broadcasting HDTV part-time; with the digital transition fast approaching, do the locals plan to introduce HDTV broadcasts at the same time, and will Time-Warner bring in KSAT's HD feed for ABC viewers?

My understanding of the current situation over the air (full-power analog stations only):

KGNS-DT 15: simulcasting KGNS-TV (8) on 15.1 and "CW Plus" on 15.2
KLDO-DT 19: simulcasting KLDO-TV (27) on 19.1, KETF-CA (25) on 19.2, KXOF-CA (39) on 19.3, and "LATV" on 19.4
KVTV-DT 31: simulcasting KVTV-TV (13) on 31.1

Mexican stations broadcasting in digital:

XHBR-DT 25: simulcasting XHBR-TV 11/XEW-TV 2 (Mexico City)
XHLNA-DT 50: simulcasting XHLNA-TV 21/XHWX-TV 4 (Monterrey)/XHDF-TV 13 (Mexico City)
XHLAT-DT 51 (HDTV): simulcasting XHLAT-TV (33)/XHFN-TV 7 (Monterrey)/XHIMT-TV 7 (Mexico City)

When I was in Laredo a month ago, the only channels I picked up with a cheesy indoor antenna (Bob Bullock Loop @ Jacaman) were KVTV-DT and XHLAT-DT.

Presumably KLDO will continue to simulcast KETF and KXOF until they flash-cut to digital whenever the FCC orders such things to happen. Until then I think any HDTV on KLDO or its fellow channel occupants would be painful (although Fox being 720p might work better multiplexed with 3 subchannels than a 1080i network would). KVTV and KGNS are more likely prospects for HD.

Time-Warner Cable: HD offerings (according to their website) are:

890 HD Theater
893 TNT HD
894 FSN Southwest
895 ESPN HD
896 ESPN2 HD (not available with CableCARDs)
897 MOJO
899 HDNet
900 HDNet Movies
901 Universal HD

Subscription channels

706 HBO HD E
736 Showtime HD E

No locals (not even KSAT-DT and KLRN-DT) are apparently available in HD.

Corrections, updates, etc. are welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 05-14-2008, 01:32 PM

I hope you know Spanish

The following is a list of local HD channels broadcasting in 1080i all of which are Spanish

11.1 XHBR XEW
21.1 XHLNA TV Azteca 13
33.1 XHLAT TV Azteca 7

I currently receive 9 Digital channels in north Laredo:
08.1 KGNS
11.1 XHBR HD
13.1 KVTV
21.1 XHLNA HD
27.1 KLDO
27.2 KETF
27.3 KXOF
27.4 LATV
33.1 XHLAT HD

analog channels:
02 XEFE
45 XHNAT
57 XHLAR
68 KLMV
post #3 of 67 Old 05-15-2008, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAPO View Post

I hope you know Spanish

Not yet; well, I had some Spanish in elementary school and high school, but I can't do much except ask for directions to the library these days. Hopefully the US stations will get with the program sooner rather than later.
post #4 of 67 Old 06-22-2008, 11:14 PM

Info: Laredo, TX 7

I just ordered Dish Netowrks with America's Top 250, HD Ultimate add-on, and local channels add-on.

I currently see this message for the local channels eligability:

Unfortunately, this address is not eligible for any of the Local Network Packages.

but I see this too:

Congratulations! This address is eligible for all Superstations. WB & UPN

Anyways, Dish told me about the All American Direct website where you pay $3 per NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX to setup and then $10.99 per month.

Does anyone know if those channels are in HD? Also, do you think its worth it or should I just an OTA antenna and just get those channels like that?

dja2k
post #5 of 67 Old 06-23-2008, 06:32 AM

I just got my order confirmation, what is the wing dish? Does it have to do with any of the local channels stuff?

dja2k
post #6 of 67 Old 06-23-2008, 04:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Topics merged.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #7 of 67 Old 06-28-2008, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quango View Post

Not yet; well, I had some Spanish in elementary school and high school, but I can't do much except ask for directions to the library these days. Hopefully the US stations will get with the program sooner rather than later.

Well good news quango, KGNS will be broadcasting NBC in HD later this year and will also add the following subchannels:
8.2 The CW
8.3 Telemundo
(both in standard digital signal)

source: pro8news.com/about (second to last paragraph)
post #8 of 67 Old 06-28-2008, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dja2k View Post

Info: Laredo, TX 7

I just ordered Dish Netowrks with America's Top 250, HD Ultimate add-on, and local channels add-on.

I currently see this message for the local channels eligability:

Unfortunately, this address is not eligible for any of the Local Network Packages.

but I see this too:

Congratulations! This address is eligible for all Superstations. WB & UPN

Anyways, Dish told me about the All American Direct website where you pay $3 per NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX to setup and then $10.99 per month.

Does anyone know if those channels are in HD? Also, do you think its worth it or should I just an OTA antenna and just get those channels like that?

dja2k

That means Laredo local channels are not available in dish network yet. You'll probably be able to receive ABC, My Network TV, and The CW nationwide networks (NYC and/or LA) not Laredo locals. So if you live in Laredo and want to receive its local channels you're better of getting an off air antenna you'll save yourself $10.99 a month. Unless you want to wait until Dish network carries them. Either way cancel local subscription.

I checked the dish network website and it states it does carry Laredo Local TV just 3 of them though and none of them are in HD, I'd still choose an OTA you'll receive them free plus you'll get more local channels (subchannels).
LAREDO CBS - KVTV 13 on DN CH 8122
LAREDO NBC - KGNS 8 on DN CH 8123
LAREDO UNIViSION - KLDO 27 on DN CH 8126

Channels with an OTA
8.1 KGNS NBC DT (HD comming later this year)
8.2 KGNS CW DT (comming later this year)
8.3 KGNS Telemundo DT (comming later this year)
11.1 XHBR XEW HD
13.1 KVTV CBS DT
21.1 XHLNA Azteca 13 HD
27.1 KLDO Univision DT
27.2 KETF Telefutura DT
27.3 KXOF FOX DT
27.4 KLDO LATV DT
33.1 XHLAT Azteca 7 HD

SD Channels
02 XEFE Televisa
45 XHNAT Multimedios
55 KNEX-LP Azteca America
57 XHLAR Televisa
68 KLMV-CA Spanish Religious
post #9 of 67 Old 06-28-2008, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter

Given the local channel situation in Laredo if you're going with satellite (Dish or DirecTV) I'd recommend "moving" your service address to San Antonio or thereabouts for your HDTV needs.

Good news on KGNS, hopefully that will be the kick in the behind KVTV and KXOF (and Time-Warner, to bring Laredo KSAT and KLRN in HD) need.
post #10 of 67 Old 06-30-2008, 05:16 PM

Thanks guys for the replies. I connected a $40 RCA HDTV amplified antenna to the Dish system and it only found (CBS) KVTV 13 and some other HD channels from Nuevo Laredo. Anyways, they however were super weak and would give out, but maybe that is expected from a cheap antenna.. I will have to install an OTA outdoor antenna to see what I get, any recommendations on model and where to buy a good OTA outdoor antenna?

I don't show these in my area, are they suppose to be with an OTA or just regular channels?

dja2k
post #11 of 67 Old 07-02-2008, 12:59 PM

After contacting customer service and applying yet another $3.99 to my monthly rate, I now see these three:

They also said that when ABC is added, I will automatically get it as well. Now it leave me with the question, what happened to FOX? Also if NBC is getting OTA 8.1 KGNS NBC DT (HD comming later this year), 8.2 KGNS CW DT (comming later this year), and 8.3 KGNS Telemundo DT (comming later this year), will they ever get those channels via DISH instead of OTA?

dja2k
post #12 of 67 Old 07-03-2008, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dja2k View Post

After contacting customer service and applying yet another $3.99 to my monthly rate, I now see these three:

They also said that when ABC is added, I will automatically get it as well. Now it leave me with the question, what happened to FOX? Also if NBC is getting OTA 8.1 KGNS NBC DT (HD comming later this year), 8.2 KGNS CW DT (comming later this year), and 8.3 KGNS Telemundo DT (comming later this year), will they ever get those channels via DISH instead of OTA?

I wouldn't hold your breath on ABC or PBS or MyNetworkTV locally in Laredo, although you should be able to get ABC today as a "distant network" station (probably WABC New York) since nobody in Laredo can get ABC over-the-air. Same deal for PBS. Not sure if Dish offers a national MNTV. I'm surprised Dish doesn't provide KSAT (San Antonio ABC) like DirecTV does.

My guess is that they're not doing Fox/KXOF because it's a low-power channel, at least until the digital transition is over. Since they're already broadcasting KLDO (owned by the same company), KXOF should be easy though... again, DirecTV has it, and you'd think Dish would want to be competitive with DirecTV. You probably won't be able to get distant Fox.

As far as HD and the subchannels go, your guess is as good as mine. Neither satellite service seems to carry subchannels, so CW and Telemundo are unlikely to happen, but HD is somewhat more likely since they (DISH) are going to have to upgrade their equipment in every market to receive digital channels anyway.
post #13 of 67 Old 07-20-2008, 10:11 AM

Please add Ch. 25.1 to the list of Spanish language channels available locally in Laredo.

It is embarrassing that the channels from Mexico are broadcasting in crystal clear 1080i, while NBC and CBS are broadcasting in SD (a crappy looking SD at that).

I am actually upset that DirecTV is forcing its Laredo customers to take San Antonio ABC as part of its "locals" package. I would much rather have east and west coast ABC to take advantage of its many regional college football and basketball games. How can a channel be considered local, if I can't pick it up with an outdoor antenna?...San Antonio is 160 miles away!

By the way, I believe that for OTA in Laredo, an outdoor antenna is must...the signals are not distant, but they are just coming in from so many directions. I got an outdoor antenna with motor for $35 off of eBay, and it works great, except I haven't been able to find a sweet spot that will simultaneously pull in all channels with decent signal strength.
post #14 of 67 Old 08-28-2008, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

25.1 is already on the list in the first post. All of the Mexican stations really need to stop running in stretch-o-vision when they don't have a HD signal. But yeah "embarrassing" is the right word.

KGNS has been running a few short promos the past couple of weeks that don't mention HD directly but the same two sponsors show up at http://www.pro8news.com/about in a box that says "HD is Coming Soon Laredo!" Probably too much to hope "soon" is next Thursday for the first NFL game. Probably also too much to hope they increase their signal output; it's by far the weakest signal I get in NE Laredo with an indoor antenna. In terms of existing picture quality, I'd rate 8-1 a little better than 10 analog on Time Warner, but that's not saying much.

As for KVTV, considering they can't even scrape together the talent for a local newscast (and let's be honest, KGNS isn't setting the bar so high that KVTV couldn't be successful) I'm not going to hold my breath on HD. KXOF seems a little more promising since Entravision apparently already does Fox in HD down in McAllen (plus having the NFC & Cowboys is a bit more incentive).

KLRN and KSAT are up to Time-Warner, whose apparent total disinterest in HD in Laredo is evident; maybe analog shutdown will force the issue, but my guess is we're more likely to *lose* KLRN and KSAT than get them in HD.
post #15 of 67 Old 09-18-2008, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Not directly HD related, but apparently Time-Warner and KSAT are in a snit over renegotiating their extension. Since TWC can probably get ABC programming from stations in Corpus or the lower valley, who'd probably jump to add another 100k+ viewers, if KSAT holds out, I'd imagine KSAT will cave sooner rather than later.

Hopefully when they do the deal they'll also bring HD along for the ride, but we'll see.
post #16 of 67 Old 10-09-2008, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

KGNS-8 (NBC) is broadcasting in HD this evening and the SD subchannels (8.2 CW and 8.3 Telemundo) are now live over-the-air, although there is no announcement on the pro8news.com website as of this moment. Some older receivers may need a rescan to understand the format change.
post #17 of 67 Old 12-04-2008, 02:24 PM

*BUMP*

Any updates on HD anyone? Is NBC broadcasting HD regularly now?
post #18 of 67 Old 12-06-2008, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

KGNS is currently broadcasting upconverted SDTV at 1080i on 15.1 (virtual 8.1); for about a week in October, they were broadcasting true HD and upconverted SD content such as local ads were very zoomed (not quite full zoom, but tiny pillarboxes and clear image loss at the top and bottom). Since they've already broadcast some HD clearly they have the equipment.

I suppose since KVTV and KXOF are in no hurry to go HD, nobody's putting much pressure on KGNS to get the bugs worked out.
post #19 of 67 Old 12-10-2008, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

As I write this, KGNS is broadcasting the NBC Nightly News in HD. Hopefully I haven't jinxed it and HD is back for good.
post #20 of 67 Old 12-14-2008, 02:23 PM

Thanks, Quango.
post #21 of 67 Old 12-16-2008, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

In other news, KVTV (CBS 13) has gone all-digital after its analog transmitter was damaged by a power surge. The FCC filing is here.
post #22 of 67 Old 01-06-2009, 11:15 AM

I just spoke to a technician at KGNS and he told me that the digital signals (8.1, 8.2, 8.3) are currently being broadcast on low power, and will be brought up to full power in Feburary.

torp74

-|||-----|||-
Barbell's Rule!
post #23 of 67 Old 04-11-2009, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

One small bit of news: KVTV-DT will be moving from RF channel 31 to its final allotment, RF 13, on Thursday May 7th, per a promo I saw Friday night.
post #24 of 67 Old 04-12-2009, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear94 View Post

Please add Ch. 25.1 to the list of Spanish language channels available locally in Laredo.

It is embarrassing that the channels from Mexico are broadcasting in crystal clear 1080i, while NBC and CBS are broadcasting in SD (a crappy looking SD at that).

I am actually upset that DirecTV is forcing its Laredo customers to take San Antonio ABC as part of its "locals" package. I would much rather have east and west coast ABC to take advantage of its many regional college football and basketball games. How can a channel be considered local, if I can't pick it up with an outdoor antenna?...San Antonio is 160 miles away!

By the way, I believe that for OTA in Laredo, an outdoor antenna is must...the signals are not distant, but they are just coming in from so many directions. I got an outdoor antenna with motor for $35 off of eBay, and it works great, except I haven't been able to find a sweet spot that will simultaneously pull in all channels with decent signal strength.

With the spot beams they're moving to, they have to pick a set of locals being sent on a beam covering your area. No telling how long those E & W MPEG2 feeds will continue that have full CONUS coverage.
post #25 of 67 Old 04-12-2009, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by quango View Post

Not directly HD related, but apparently Time-Warner and KSAT are in a snit over renegotiating their extension. Since TWC can probably get ABC programming from stations in Corpus or the lower valley, who'd probably jump to add another 100k+ viewers, if KSAT holds out, I'd imagine KSAT will cave sooner rather than later.

Hopefully when they do the deal they'll also bring HD along for the ride, but we'll see.

Don't know if this has been settled yet, but TWC cannot legally rebroadcast another DMA's affiliate.
post #26 of 67 Old 04-13-2009, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

It's already been settled, probably because TWC also covers San Antonio and several other markets around here; however, Laredo isn't in San Antonio's DMA so I'm not sure the DMA rules would apply in this case.
post #27 of 67 Old 05-07-2009, 05:53 PM

I've noticed that the digital signal for NBC HD and the CW are gone...or is it just me? They were working fine as of Tuesday night and now I can't pick them up anymore. I don't really watch much TV...does anyone know what happened?
post #28 of 67 Old 05-07-2009, 06:09 PM

i'm not sure,sorry

post #29 of 67 Old 05-09-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fevercadence View Post

I've noticed that the digital signal for NBC HD and the CW are gone...or is it just me? They were working fine as of Tuesday night and now I can't pick them up anymore. I don't really watch much TV...does anyone know what happened?

I live in Laredo in the Village Creek subdivision (HWY 359) and was picking up the KGNS & CW signals without any problems for about a month or so. My outdoor VHF/UHF antenna (RCA ANT806) stopped picking up the signals about 2 weeks ago. I've tried rescanning and even purchased another outdoor antenna (Philips MANT940), but still can't get the signal back. This new antenna is UHF only, though. The CW used to broadcast on channel 8.2 (VHF) when we could pick it up, but I believe it now broadcasts on channel 15.2 (UHF), but this UHF antenna doesn't pick it up anyway. I'm debating wether to return the UHF only antenna or keep it in hopes that KGNS and CW will stay on channel 15 and hopefully be picked up in June when the signal goes full strength.(???)
post #30 of 67 Old 05-10-2009, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Not sure what happened, but I can confirm that I can only get the NBC signal (in SD) here in NE Laredo despite good signal strength on UHF 15. Nothing will be on UHF 15 after June 12 unless someone applies to start a new channel there.

From the About page at KVTV: "If you have any questions about your reception of any of our digital signals, please contact us at hd@pro8news.com." Worth an email I suppose.

By the way, KVTV still is on UHF 31 and I haven't seen any promos on KVTV saying when they're switching to VHF 13 recently, although they have to do it by June 12. Their last FCC filing said they were doing it in May 7, which has come and gone.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page