Marquette, MI - HDTV - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 194 Old 10-20-2010, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, look at it this way, the NBC picture doesn't look like crap due to excessive sharing of bits.

WLUCengr, are you guys going to upgrade the PA to something in the 2-300kW+ range and move the UHF antenna to the top of the tower?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 194 Old 10-21-2010, 01:55 PM

As of right now our power will stay at 83kW. We are looking into removing the old analog antenna at the top and possibly install an omnidirectional to help with signal problems to the south.
post #183 of 194 Old 10-22-2010, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlucengnr View Post

As of right now our power will stay at 83kW. We are looking into removing the old analog antenna at the top and possibly install an omnidirectional to help with signal problems to the south.

Well, it's nice you're keeping an open mind, but I'm afraid that without increasing the power you will trade complaints from the south to complaints from the north due to a lower field strength to the north with an omnidirectional antenna.

Poor you... have to deal with a tight budget and angry callers. Don't envy the pickle you're in for a second. Good luck. Perhaps Barrington will be more open minded if you remind them of how they helped WPBN when they had problems. They're now at 500kW ERP and have many less complaints.

I heard somewhere that your transmission line power rating may be the gating factor in a power increase. I guess there won't me much change until at least May with winter coming up.

The other option may be to install digital translators at Marquette, Escanaba, and Iron Mountain. In the long run, I don't see how that's more economical than a single site improvement. Although, I guess the RF7 translator is still chugging along.
post #184 of 194 Old 12-14-2010, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

I have an idea for you... How about purchasing WDHS and changing WLUC's pattern to be more north. The 2 patterns would have very slight overlap, and you'd cover Escanaba and Iron Mtn. along with improving existing coverage in MQT county

http://maps.google.com/?q=http://www...AIN%26state=MI

WDHS has been operating the minimum number of hrs per year to hold onto the license and I bet with the economy the way it is, it could be purchased for a fair price.

Otherwise, WDHS would make for a nice iOn affiliate.
post #185 of 194 Old 02-19-2011, 05:39 PM

Bringing this thread back around. I'm in Negaunee Township, down the hill from WLUC on M-35 before it hits 492. I can't seem to get anything over the air. I have a converter box and an old set of rabbit ears. I got a faint signal on 19.1 but lost it and that was it. No TV6 or 13 or 11. TV and ears are in the center of the house. Would the signals be going right over my house? I'm trying to dump cable and get some over the airs but no luck. At camp, on the end of Co Rd 581, I can pick up seven channels but the towers are out there too.
post #186 of 194 Old 02-19-2011, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crikker View Post

Bringing this thread back around. I'm in Negaunee Township, down the hill from WLUC on M-35 before it hits 492. I can't seem to get anything over the air. I have a converter box and an old set of rabbit ears. I got a faint signal on 19.1 but lost it and that was it. No TV6 or 13 or 11. TV and ears are in the center of the house. Would the signals be going right over my house? I'm trying to dump cable and get some over the airs but no luck. At camp, on the end of Co Rd 581, I can pick up seven channels but the towers are out there too.

Sadly for you, the Upper Michigan stations have "built to the minimum" when it comes to DTV - spending just enough to keep their full-service licenses in force, which keeps them on the cable and satellite services.

Your location is affected by terrain, and WLUC's signal is rated as fair to poor, despite a distance of only 19 miles. Nevertheless, a TV Fool check on the coordinates of the intersection of 35/492 suggests you should get ABC, PBS, NBC and (as an SD subchannel) Fox with an outdoor antenna on a roof aimed WSW. (no guarantees).
post #187 of 194 Old 02-20-2011, 01:20 PM

Sounds like I'm pretty much SOL here. If I could get the channels I get out camp, I'd be good to go. How about satellite (dish)? Wrong forum? I'm trying to save a little cash. I want to keep my internet and i think the only choice is Charter here but if I can save, I'd go with dish but it'd have to have the locals.
post #188 of 194 Old 02-23-2011, 03:49 PM

Anyone?
post #189 of 194 Old 02-24-2011, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crikker View Post

Rabbit ears are for VHF, not UHF (WJMN, WLUC, WZMQ are now on UHF). Also, you'll need an outdoor antenna and possibly a preamplifier. The cheapo indoor antennas don't cut it now. I put up an outdoor antenna VHF/UHF antenna at a house in West Ishpeming near the triangle motel using a Channel Master 3016 antenna, a Channel Mater 7778 amplifier, and RG-6 quad shield cable. They now get get WJMN, WLUC, WBUP, WNMU, WZMQ 100% of the time. It's really easy if you are willing to spend $100-$125.

Local channels are available on both DirecTV and Dish Network. Your choice if you want to spend the money.

BTW, the converter boxes make a difference too... They are not all created equal. some of the Insignia and Zenith models work pretty good.

Links to order:
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...0Antennas&sku=

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...u=020572077781

You'll have to search for the coax and connectors. Just order the RG-6 quad shield (or worst case RG-6). Stay away from cheap crap RG-59.
post #190 of 194 Old 04-13-2011, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

from the Michigan Buzzboard and From RBR.COM:

Perry Sook's Nexstar Broadcasting Group will be the owner and/or operator of 65 broadcast television stations once it closes on the acquisition of CBS affiliates in the Green Bay-Appleton WI and Marquette MI Nielsen DMAs. The seller is Liberty Media Corporation.

The stations are WFRV-TV in Green Bay and WJMN-TV in Marquette. The price will be $20M, with $2.5M of that in the form of stock that will go to an affiliate of the seller.

Sook commented, The acquisition of WFRV and WJMN highlights Nexstar's role in the industry as a leading consolidator of stations in mid-sized markets through accretive transactions. Similar to other Nexstar transactions, the acquisition allows the Company to expand and diversify its station portfolio and presents a new opportunity for the Company to leverage its intellectual capital and operating management. In addition, entering Wisconsin and Michigan represent a natural complement to our existing Midwest operations.

He added, The purchase price for the two stations is less than five times the average 2010/2011 pro-forma projected cash flow. Under Nexstar's ownership both stations will realize additional retransmission revenues as well as synergistic operating improvements, and on a pro-forma basis the acquisition will be immediately accretive to results and de-leveraging on a debt-to- cash-flow basis. We'll also bring effective online marketing solutions to local and national advertisers through the launch of Nexstar's e-Media and mobile offerings through our proven Community Portal model.

The stations come at a considerable discount from the amount Liberty is believed to have paid for them. They came from CBS Corporation in a deal that included a stock buyback, and were valued at $64M in an RBR-TVBR Transaction Digest item. The Liberty/CBS deal was filed with the FCC 2/13/07.
post #191 of 194 Old 06-20-2012, 07:41 AM

I have a question for anyone out there in the Escanaba area, is the low power station, W11CZ, on the air in Escanaba? I know that WLUK's translator up in Escanaba retransmits the original VHF 11 signal out of Green Bay, so I'm curious if W11CZ is actually broadcasting, if that's causing any problems with WLUK's translator signal.
post #192 of 194 Old 07-10-2012, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

probably not an issue. I think the WLUK translator is W40AN, meaning it transmits on UHF channel 40. The W11CZ channel you are talking about, an Hispanic Christian channel, is on RF 11. Why you'd put it on 11 is beyond me. W40AN maps to 40.1, etc. W11CZ maps to 11.1, etc. So, you get mislead thinking 11.1 is FOX when it isn't unless your high powered beam is pointed towards Green Bay and you are far enough outside Escanaba proper to not get W11CZ.

W40AN: http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=W40AN&city=&state=
W11CZ: http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=W11CZ&city=&state=
post #193 of 194 Old 07-10-2012, 06:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
That seems silly, why would they have installed separate PSIP gear to change the mapping on W40AN-D from 11-1 to 40-1?

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #194 of 194 Old Yesterday, 06:22 PM

WLUC is changing the Marquette low power translator to digital as of the beginning of August 2014. It should be 14.1 NBC HD and 14.2 FOX SD. The analog channel 7 has been dismantled as of last Thursday (July 17).
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page