All I want for Christmas is 3D HDTV! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-30-2001, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Cobalt Entertainment, a Van Nuys based visual effects company and content provider, recently edited an HD stereoscopic demo reel which incorporates discreet left eye/ right eye 1080i materials. The footage was edited on an Avid DSHD non linear High Definiton editing system and is uncompressed. Each eye, for this test, was edited separately on the same machine and the footage is then projected either via two HD projectors utilizing polarized filters and corresponding polarized glasses and can also be projected via a projector equipped with an encode and decoding device (also for viewing via polarized glasses). The results are lifelike and stunning - with no eyestrain - and this promises not only be part of the future of HDTV in general, but also the best method for image acquisition (@ 24p) for theatrical large format and 35mm presentations. The test was coordinated with Cobalt by Avid and Piranha Post, a Hollywood based Avid post facility which offers the DSHD as a cost effective alternative to HD linear editing.

Having seen 1280x1024 in stereo (3D) a bazillion times, I can tell you this would be great.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-01-2002, 05:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Sounds outstanding. Wish I could see it. Since it apparently doesn't take any more bandwidth than OTA/cable/DBS HDTV, perhaps some innovative folks will attempt experimental broadcasts. This might be a 'creative' addition to the thread of proposals for HDNET programming. Hmm. Wonder if 19.4-Mbps HDTV basketball can also handle stereoscopic encoding/viewing without 'glitches'? -- John
post #3 of 6 Old 01-01-2002, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Actually, it takes about twice as much bandwidth, since it uses two images (left eye, right eye) for the stereo process. They run at 96Hz vertical refresh, or better, to prevent visible flicker.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #4 of 6 Old 01-02-2002, 03:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks, Ken. So, it's not like earlier attempts at NTSC stereoscopic, using one field for left and the other field for right? Used a Toshiba stereoscopic camcorder once based on this technique, and the flicker/headache effect was annoying. Too bad about doubled bandwidth. Suspect you could distribute some fairly inexpensive LCD 3D goggles for a 6-Mhz system. But it seems you'd need special HDTV receivers for doubled bandwidth...he speculated. -- John
post #5 of 6 Old 01-02-2002, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
http://www.dti3d.com/

[Another reason I need more money]
post #6 of 6 Old 01-02-2002, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Actually, it takes about twice as much bandwidth, since it uses two images (left eye, right eye) for the stereo process. They run at 96Hz vertical refresh, or better, to prevent visible flicker.
Just as HDTV/mpeg2 is sent compressed sending mostly only the changes from one frame to the next you would think that if this was a mature technology they could send only the changes from the left & right view. Since these are very similar there would probably be a huge amount of compression available.

But a basic rule of software is to get it correctly working first and then optimize it later. The bandwidth improvements might have to wait for a second generation..

But I think it's nifty! I want one. :)

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page