Setting Picture For Hd Using Hbohd Test Signals?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-06-2002, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone consider setting up tint and color for HD using HBOHD's test signals when they sign off? Would doing this produce good results? I've had the settings for my sat/HD receiver the same as my DVD player, but I know that settings can be very different depending on the source.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-07-2002, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

That sounds like a good plan, especially if you have a set that stores multiple settings.

A pet peeve if I may....the correct control names are Hue ( not tint ) and Saturation ( Color )

I know the manufacturers insist on using the wrong names but I belive in calling a spade a spade as it were. words lose meaning when we ignore their proper definitions.

Let's also be clear...a spade is a small shovel like implement for turning soil or alternately a suit in a deck of cards any other vernacular usage is just wrong.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-08-2002, 12:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
A pet peeve if I may....the correct control names are Hue ( not tint ) and Saturation ( Color )
While manufacturers often use both tint and hue terminology, I do believe the absolute correct term is Phase, hardly used at all if ever on consumer monitors but nearly always on professional gear like processor amps. You see, this control actually shifts the phase angle of the color sub carrier and will give the color a shift range from magenta to green. These two colors posess nearly opposite vector angles. It has no affect in shifting from true red to true blue.

Ray- To properly use the NTSC75 or SMPTE test charts for adjusting the saturation and phase as well as the brightness and contrast one needs a monitor capable of "blue gun only" setting. Either that or get half axxed results with a blue glass that you look at the monitor's color bars with. If you know what you are doing you can set the monitor up, but more accurate results are obtained with SMPTE bars. I don't know which HBO is using lately. Most broadcasts do use the SMPTE bars.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-08-2002, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, phase is indeed the actual parameter being controled. Tint is simply more inaccurate a term in ths respect than hue is.

Tint is a term used in a subtractive/relflective colorspace while hue is more appropiate to the additive/transmissive colorspace one is describing in a CRT.
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page