HDTV insight please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-08-2002, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
Ted

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You guys have alot more knowledge about HDTV. I'm having a discussion in another forum (xbox forum) about game play on HDTVs.

is the below comment true?

A HDTV STILL is REAR projection, just with the added HDTV tuner. Once HDTV tuners become available as a set top box then almost every "normal" t.v. came become a HDTV if ur willing to spend the $$$$. My basic point is you shouldn't be playing Xbox on any t.v. above 36"(HDTV or NOT) because it will ruin the t.v. and cost you a lot of money to fix. I'm just trying to save people from spending extra money.

It just doesnt sound right to me.

Thanks fellas.

Ted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-08-2002, 04:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Your thinking is right, the statement is half baked.

HDTV's can be RPTV, FPTV or direct view, just like regular TV's. The similarity ends there, as HDTV's are capable of much higher resolution that standard TV's can not display.

Standard TV resolution is defined as 480i SDTV. In addition, an HDTV (High Definition) is capable of either or both 720p and 1080i. Almost all HDTV's are also capable of 480p EDTV (Enhanced Definition).

Some current X-Box games can produce a 480p EDTV output, which is significantly better than 480i SDTV.

Future X-Box games are slated for 1080i output which is native HDTV, about 6 times the picture information than SDTV.

It is true that an X-Box or HDTV stb can be set to downconvert higher outputs (480p, 720p, 1080i) to 480i. But it would not be EDTV or HDTV, it would only be SDTV.

To take advantage of the the increased resolution of EDTV or HDTV, from X-Box or a stb, you must have an EDTV or HDTV. It's as simple as that.

As far as damaging an HDTV, if you have the set properly adjusted, and do not let fixed graphic images stay on the screen for indefinate periods of time, you should be fine.

And the bigger the HDTV, the more immersive the gaming experience. Immersive = more realistic.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #3 of 7 Old 01-08-2002, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
Ted

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thank you Ken. Would you mind if I copy/paste your explaination over there? You words explain it better than I could paraphrase it.

Ted
post #4 of 7 Old 01-08-2002, 05:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Your welcome. Help yourself.

post #5 of 7 Old 01-17-2002, 05:45 PM

[quote]Originally posted by Ken H
[b]Your thinking is right, the statement is half baked.

As far as damaging an HDTV, if you have the set properly adjusted, and do not let fixed graphic images stay on the screen for indefinate periods of time, you should be fine.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Ken,

Could you please expand on that statement a bit? I have a Toshiba 56h80 and have an xbox hooked up via Monster component cables.

I'm a bit concerned with burn in. For instance, while playing Halo, there is a health meter and some other things that are always on the top of the screen.

Now, I don't usually play for more than an hour at a time.

What do you mean by properly adjusted? Should I be worried about burn in?

Thanks,

Brad
post #6 of 7 Old 01-17-2002, 06:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Out of the box, most TV's are set up to have the biggest impact when they are put on the showroom floor. Contrast & brightness are set way too high and can damage a set with or without using video games.

To avoid this problem, get a set up disk. The two most common are Avia and Video Essentials. Either one of them will show you how to properly adjust your set using test patterns. You will then get the best performance, and at the same time reduce the possibility of burn in damage.

Any graphic image left on for extended periods of time will cause burn in, including the 'bugs' (ID) that most TV stations use these days. When not playing the game, simply turn it off.

post #7 of 7 Old 01-31-2002, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

A clarification on the burn-in issue if I may.

Burn-in is not specific to HDTV and I think the author didn't mean to imply just HDTV. Rear projection TVs, regardless of whether they are HDTV or analog are suceptible to burn-in damage, but so are DirectViews (just not nearly as much). So is your computer monitor though I think it is fairly rare these days.

Personally I try not to be too obsessed with the contrast setting on my RPTV. I think about it yes, but I purchased my HDTV to watch and enjoy. What good is it if I can't see the image because it is too dim?
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page